Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody know how to get rid of Honey Bees???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody know how to get rid of Honey Bees???

My daughter found these honey bees clinging to my Crape Mertle bush out front yesterday. Don't get me wrong I love honey but would prefer them in a hive not on a bush so close to the house. There was a thunderstorm last night and that didn't even run them off. Does anybody; in my quilting buddy world; have any suggestions before they attack us!!!
    Attached Files

Re: Does anybody know how to get rid of Honey Bees???

Oh dear, that's not just honey bees, that's a whole swarm of honey bees. If they don't leave on their own, you just might have to get a bee keeper out there to remove the swarm.

I had an old house that we bought many years ago (1976) [if that's not dating me, what is?]. The swarms were living in the west wall and those little devils where still there when we had a major fire in the home. The house was destroyed and we never saw the bees again but that wasn't the way I wanted them to leave.

Honeybee's don't usually attack unless provoked. Like I knelt on one once. He wasn't happy and stung me.

Do a google maybe. I'd check it out but I have to leave for work in 15 minutes. I enjoy solving problems. What can I say? I have to go to work and plant cucumbers, watermelon and zucchini's now. LOL! My own garden has one row of lettuce. It's pretty sad. Maybe after work.

It's still early here in PA for most crops except the cool weather crops but it's worth a try. Peas next.
    Linda L Maurer, Peach Bottom, PA

http://gardenquilting.blogspot.com/

Only a Quilter has a welcome mat at the door to her home and an
    "Enter at Your Own Risk" sign on the door of her sewing room (by Tom and Madge Powis)

Comment

Rhonda I have no personal experience with a swarm of honey bees but check out this link.

HONEY BEE SWARMS

You may find some helpful advice here. It seems the bees do not stay long in trees and may move on soon as they try to find a permanent place. Finding a local beekeeper may be your best bet if they don't move in a few days. Be safe...I would avoid getting too close even if they aren't normally aggressive.
      Linda
      -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Rhonda, those sure look scary. I'm thinking beekeeper too, if only for advice, but possibly to relocate them if they don't move on their own.
        There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Call a beekeeper (apiary) or your county extension office to get you in touch with one. They would LOVE to come and help you with the swarm. Honey bees are so important to the health of our gardens and crops, they don't want to loose any. With the whole colony collapse disorder they are always looking to relocate healthy groups (swarms) of bees. They will probably come and collect the group and move them to a hive where they can do some good instead of pestering you in the garden.
          I'd probably keep my distance too. Make sure that you have all of the holes in the house plugged up!
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
            Call a beekeeper (apiary) or your county extension office to get you in touch with one. They would LOVE to come and help you with the swarm. Honey bees are so important to the health of our gardens and crops, they don't want to loose any. With the whole colony collapse disorder they are always looking to relocate healthy groups (swarms) of bees. They will probably come and collect the group and move them to a hive where they can do some good instead of pestering you in the garden.
            I'd probably keep my distance too. Make sure that you have all of the holes in the house plugged up!
            that's exactly what I was going to say! You're Extension service should have a list of beekeepers that will come out to collect them. We have a friend that keeps bees and called him to collect a swarm from my mom's last year. It costs about $75 to buy a new batch of bees to start a new hive so they are happy to collect a (healthy)swarm.
            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

We had the problem once too. Here in Luxembourg you call the fire brigade and they come and take care of the swarm and transfer it to a beekeeper.
              sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

Thanks everybody. I just called a local bee keeper who is on his way to remove them. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing!!

Comment

dogpine and bakermom took my answer too. Beekeepers have been loosing their bees and will probably be glad to come get yours. I saw a TV article once about a beekeeper who travels and "rents" his bees to large farms would west to pollinate the crops. But he's been loosing his bees (they don't come back) and said another year like that and he'd be out of business.
                  ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I think I'd make a phone call for a professional "Beekeeper" to remove them in order to avoid upsetting them and getting stung and a ER visit.

Comment

The bees are gone!! A local bee keeper came and got everyone of them. He said he probably lost 2 bees. He said he usually looses 5% or more. With the rain and the drop in temperature they didn't even move when he cut the limb. I was more than happy to help protect the bee population. I too had been reading about how honey bee populations are dwindling. I love mother nature and am always willing to help her out in any way possible. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

I am glad to hear that you and the bees had a happy ending to this story! Thanks for sharing the outcome!
                        Be who you are and say what you feel
                        because those who mind don't matter,
                        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Glad you got rid of your bees, and that a local keeper got them, always a good thing to have in the garden just maybe not that many LOL
                          :icon_wave: Sunny

Blog: www.threesmallfryprimitives.blogspot.com

Facebook: Threesmallfry Primitives

Comment

We also had a swarm of honey bees. We called a bee keeper in and he was thrilled to get the bees. They were healthy and he was happy. The ones I hate that swarm are wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets. Those buggers are nasty! They also make honey. We tried some and it was awful. It was as black as their little buzzing hearts. Anyway I'm glad the honey bees were safe and so are you. Hugs, Jan
                            Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

One of the scariest things I ever experienced was a day DH and I were just getting on the freeway about 5 miles from here and just as we got up to speed we were hit across the windshield - no time to see it coming - a whole swarm of honey bees. Talk about a mess to get off the truck. We were sure sad to have been responsible for their demise.
                              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Working...
                              X