American Night Owl Idol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Night Owl Idol

I have a topic for tonight that I thought might be interesting. Thinking back to when you were a kid......we probably all had our favorite toy. Tell us about a toy or childhood item that you wished that you still had. I'm curious to see if any of us might mention the same toy or item from our childhood.

One toy I wished that I still had is a stuffed animal monkey. He was stuffed but the face, big ears, tennis shoes & hands with a banana in one hand.....were made of soft plastic. The top half of the body was yellow with little strips as suspenders.

So what was your favorite that you wished you still had?
    Last edited by pcbatiks; February 5, 2014, 09:27 PM.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Re: American Night Owl Idol

I had a" Princess Summer Fall Winter Spring "marionette when I was little. She was a character on the Howdy Doody show. As I got older and didn't actually play with it anymore, my mom decided that I probably didn't want it, so she gave it away with some of our other toys and clothes that we didn't use anymore. I didn't know that she gave it away until years later as I was looking for it. I think I was mad at her for a long time for giving it away without asking me about it first. I just hoped that whoever got it loved it as much as I did.
    :icon_wave: Linda
    "Home is where they love you"

Comment

Originally posted by pcbatiks View Post
      I have a topic for tonight that I thought might be interesting. Thinking back to when you were a kid......we probably all had our favorite toy. Tell us about a toy or childhood item that you wished that you still had. I'm curious to see if any of us might mention the same toy or item from our childhood.

One toy I wished that I still had is a stuffed animal monkey. He was stuffed but the face, big ears, tennis shoes & hands with a banana in one hand.....were made of soft plastic. The top half of the body was yellow with little strips as suspenders.

So what was your favorite that you wished you still had?
      image.jpg this one?????
      Mary
      SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindagie View Post
        I had a" Princess Summer Fall Winter Spring "marionette when I was little. She was a character on the Howdy Doody show. As I got older and didn't actually play with it anymore, my mom decided that I probably didn't want it, so she gave it away with some of our other toys and clothes that we didn't use anymore. I didn't know that she gave it away until years later as I was looking for it. I think I was mad at her for a long time for giving it away without asking me about it first. I just hoped that whoever got it loved it as much as I did.
        image.jpg here she is
        Mary
        SW Missouri

Comment

Aww he is so cute.

The only one I can really remember is the doll that was almost as tall as me and you could walk her. As i think of it now I remember her being pretty big. Anyone know what she was called. I think she talked too. Was it chatty kathy? My memory is terrible.
          Karen
          Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Mine was a velvet doll...and mine went to somewhereville...but I bought another one about 15 years ago her she is..image.jpg

And my sister had cricket...image.jpg. My sis passed away 4 years ago...she still had her original doll I believe...I wonder what happened to her....
            Mary
            SW Missouri

Comment

Mine was a scooter. We were very poor and I remember the day that my mom and dad took me to the old furniture store and bought it for me, can't remember if it was a birthday present or not, but I remember being on it every day all day long. I'd love to still have it!
              Attached Files
              TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

I had a marionette too. It was from Mexico on a vacation, I think. lol

I saved some of my favorite soft toys, but the one I always remember is a pink telephone that talked to you. I remember my mom trying so hard to get that from Montgomery Wards. I would love to have that back.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

hi
                  my mother was a neat freak so we didn't get to do arts and crafts much,but she bought us this stuff called silly sand it was colored sand that you put into a squeezq bottle and mixed with water and my sister and i could make pretend castles and houses or what ever our imagination came up with.i really did enjoy that
                  :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Here ya go...

sillysand.jpg
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Oh Wow, It is difficult to remember in the middle of the night. Back in the olden days when I was growing up kids didn't get much in the way of toys and add the fact we were kind of poor there wasn't much to remember.

What I do remember are roller skates that we attached to our shoes. My parents would buy us the cheaper brand that didn't hold up as they bent or wheels broke off. Grandpa came to the rescue and bought my brother Jim and I each a pair of Union Roller Skates, they were so much stronger and adjustable so we could use them again the next year when our shoe size was bigger. They came with a skate key that you used to tighten the clamps onto the front of your shoes. Skate key was very important to have as the clamps would loosen and the skate would fall off. I put my skate key on a ribbon that I wore around my neck so I was prepared at all times.

We used to skate in the street as there weren't too many cars in those days, plus gas rationing during WWII kept many cars idle so we had the street to ourselves. We drew long curvy paths from one side of the street to the other crossing back and forth many times. Breezing down the street on my skates was really a great feeling of freedom.
                      Last edited by MayinJerset; February 6, 2014, 01:28 AM.

Comment

I was a 70's child. My favorite toy was called Krazy Kar. It was a cool ride-on toy that could spin 360 degrees. I wasn't much for dolls. I liked to play outside with my brother.

Comment

I had a ViewMaster and an impressive collection of discs. I would get them for Christmas or my grandparents would buy one when the went on trips so I could "see" where they went.

The viewer and all of the discs went to my cousins when one of them was sick with the chicken pox. I never saw them again. My aunt wasn't a "keeper" of things. If she was tired of having the item around or parts went missing, out the whole thing went.
                          We didn't have much money as Mom was a single parent, so it was never replaced. My guess is that you couldn't find all of those travel discs again, or at least not and have any $$ for fabric! I did tell Mom that no more of my stuff would ever go to their house without me saying it was OK. She stuck to it.
                          My daughter has had two and neither one has lasted very long. The gear dealie slips and won't advance the disc. Kind of sad.

I also miss the Sunshine Family. It was like a granola family version of Barbie. They had cool stuff and you could make crafts for them. I had a truck with a camper and a house that folded down. Pretty cool.
                          Be who you are and say what you feel
                          because those who mind don't matter,
                          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I wasn't much into barbie but loved my dawn dolls they were smaller. I used to make all the clothes for them and furniture from boxes and cans and then set them up in a house I made from cardboard boxes. I also still have my velvet doll. and the baby doll crib that the side goes up and down on. That was a christmas gift from my aunt for my first B'day. It was so sturdy that there is a picture of my cousin and I sitting side by side in it with the side down like a love seat. I wasn't even 1 and he was not quite 2.
                            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                            Sigmund Freud

Comment

Isn't that funny......I can't remember a favorite toy. I had 4 sisters and everything was kind of communal property I guess. We didn't know it but I guess we were poor and didn't really have a lot of toys. We did have dolls that my DGM made clothes for and we played a lot with them. And we were all a little older(6,7,8 & 9) when our youngest little sis was born and I remember that we were so in love with her, she was like having a living doll. We used to dress her up in our doll clothes. So I guess my little sister was my favorite toy!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X