Any clothes sewers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any clothes sewers out there?

I was wondering if anyone here on the quilting forum is also a clothes sewer..makes clothes. I have a question.

I have been sewing for nearly 50 years and I can't believe I am asking this question, but I haven't done clothes in about 13 years so I am rather rusty. I am needing to make my grand daughters some skirts for a little function they are having. They just need an elastic waist. If memory serves, I think I used to make them by just taking a yard of fabric, put a casing along one edge and draw the elastic through, then hem. Also for a waistband skirt... a yard of fabric, cut a waistband (waist size plus about 4 inches for button tab or just waist size and 2 inches for zipper), gather fabric and sew to waistband, then hem.
    It sounds so simple I am thinking I am missing something! Am I?

Also...if not here...does anyone know of a good clothes sewing forum? Looks like I might be getting back into clothes sewing and I am rusty and the talk and helps and all would do me a world of good to get "back into shape".
    Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Re: Any clothes sewers out there?

I sew costumes, and I think you have the process for the skirts pretty well in mind. I do a combination of elastic waists or on waistbands. Most women wear a skirt no longer that 24-27" so you might not even need a full yard. Depending on the size of your girls, you might want to make them fuller. For a little girl, 42" would be wide enough, but for a bigger girl, you might want to use two widths of fabric to make it fuller.

Comment

I sew children's clothes (I have a few pictures in my album) I like to make tiered twirl skirts. I take the waist measurement and add half for the waist. Then each tier keep adding half more, gather and sew. I never used a pattern. If you look on Etsy under twirl skirts there are lots of ideas,

As far as forums, I was in the Ebay forums in about three different groups for about four years. They all disbanded because of Ebay's polices. I know one of the gals is on FB. I can ask if she knows of any.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
        I sew costumes, and I think you have the process for the skirts pretty well in mind. I do a combination of elastic waists or on waistbands. Most women wear a skirt no longer that 24-27" so you might not even need a full yard. Depending on the size of your girls, you might want to make them fuller. For a little girl, 42" would be wide enough, but for a bigger girl, you might want to use two widths of fabric to make it fuller.
        Yeah, I did forget to mention that they were 3 and 5 and little petite things so a yard is definately all I will need! Probably a yard for both of them!!!LOL!! I was going by the width of the skirt to be twice the waist size...then add if needed. Thanks
        Cheri

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
          I sew children's clothes (I have a few pictures in my album) I like to make tiered twirl skirts. I take the waist measurement and add half for the waist. Then each tier keep adding half more, gather and sew. I never used a pattern. If you look on Etsy under twirl skirts there are lots of ideas,

As far as forums, I was in the Ebay forums in about three different groups for about four years. They all disbanded because of Ebay's polices. I know one of the gals is on FB. I can ask if she knows of any.
          That's a cool idea for the twirl skirts. I will keep that in mind. One loves skirts and the other hates skirts/dresses!! They are so funny. Totally cute and totally opposite! Thanks
          Cheri

Comment

I made costumes for years, so my skirts were circle skirts not gathered skirts (when a dancer asks for a 'twirl' skirt they quite literally need it to twirl on stage. Gathered skirts do not move well for a dancer.)

Sounds like you have a solid plan! I stopped garment making for 2 years and I was shocked by how much I forgot in that short time!

A GREAT! awesome place for sewers of all types is Pattern Review. I highly recommend it. They have so much information, classes, reviews, and lots of message forums to talk to other sewers.
            Cathryn

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
              I sew children's clothes (I have a few pictures in my album) I like to make tiered twirl skirts.
              Your clothes are adorable!! I sure miss sewing for little girls.
              Cathryn

Comment

Hulamoon I love the childrens clothes. My favorite is the little Hula Dancer outfit. That is just precious.

Comment

Sounds you haven't forgot much.I am sure it will be good whatever you come up with.I strongly recommend Pattern review also.It is free to join.There is also some women that have sites just for kids clothes with instructions.

Comment

Sew Mama Sew | is a great forum Melly sews, is another good one. I found many after signing up for some sewing class on Crafting Classes, Patterns & Inspiration | Craftsy: Learn It. Make It.

Lisa

Comment

I'm sure the skirts will be fine as you are planning them. I have found that having a serger really helps with garment making. Have fun making them, and don't forget to post pics! We want to see them, even if they're not quilts!

Comment

I'm sure this is more than what you are asking for, but I have this pattern and loved it. My daughter liked to have "dancy dresses" for when she felt like a girly girl. These are super easy and very cute with a pair of leggings!
                        I have been very pleased with all of the SewBaby patterns I have. The wonder jacket was also a favorite.

Sew Baby - The Twirly Dress pattern by Sewbaby
                        Be who you are and say what you feel
                        because those who mind don't matter,
                        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                        X