Phone scams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone scams

I don't believe I ever got one before last night. It was an automated message that my debit cart was de- activated. I was half asleep when it said to reactivate now press..... The thing is that I have been missing my card for a few day's, bad habit of sticking it in my pocket so I was a little un-nerved.

Poor girl this morning was sighing on the phone about how tired she was about the calls. This was a local Fed Credit Union. It's not just the big boy banks they attack.
    🌺 Lorie

Re: Phone scams

Ah phone scams. I seem to get them all at least once. Not the particular one you got though. Yet. I'll keep an eye (ear?) out on that one.

I got the Microsoft 'you have a virus' one. I own a Mac. I got the Life Alert one. I'm not in need of that yet thanks. I win cruises and free internet alarm systems quite frequently.

I try not to answer the phone anymore.

Comment

We get those all the time, but we screen our calls, let it go to voicemail & if it's someone we want to talk to, then we pick up.. Most people know to call our cell phones, only keep the land line for the internet connection... If it's a computer call & no one picks up, it just hangs up & moves on to the next number.
      May the road rise up to meet you...
      May the wind be always at your back...
      May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
      Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

We got the calls about the bank too but ignored them. Ther were 5 of us in the house and my hubby was at work. Within 30 mins 3 of the 5 of us got the call. Then hubby called to tell us about it. People were calling the police station because they did what the call asked them to do...DUH! By the next day we had emails from our bank telling us about it and of course not to respond in any way. We also received letters in the mail from our bank.
        Some people just don't realize that a bank would never do that, especially at 8-9 at night, but I guess that is how a scam works, there's always someone that will fall for it.
        Cil
        A quilt is a blanket of love
        http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
        http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

A friend of mine got the computer scam at 2AM in the morning. Poor lady scared her half to death as she was afraid that something had happened to her son who was in the military. Thankfully, she was able to wake up enough not to do what they told her to do.

Comment

We were getting 20 - 30 political calls a day and then we decided to go with Time Warner for our phone and they asked if we wanted to keep that number.....noooo so we got a new one. I told DH if you sign up for stuff don't give our land line number. We can go to our account and block numbers. I have had to block one, forget what it was about, it seemed to do the trick.
            Shirley aka buckeyequilter
            I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabear View Post
              Ah phone scams. I seem to get them all at least once. Not the particular one you got though. Yet. I'll keep an eye (ear?) out on that one.

I got the Microsoft 'you have a virus' one. I own a Mac. I got the Life Alert one. I'm not in need of that yet thanks. I win cruises and free internet alarm systems quite frequently.

I try not to answer the phone anymore.
              My personal favorite is the one where you hear a loud cruise ship horn, and the words " This is your Captain speaking".

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Originally posted by easyquilts View Post
                My personal favorite is the one where you hear a loud cruise ship horn, and the words " This is your Captain speaking".
                I have not heard that one. Why don't I ever get the fun ones?

Comment

We have a separate message recorder with audio so we can hear what the caller says. Our message states: "Hello, you have reached (phone no). If you are a telemarketer, please put our no. on your no-call list & hang up now. All other callers, leave a message, & we'll call you as soon as possible. Thank you, & have a good day." As soon as those callers hear that about being a telemarketer, they hang up. We get at least 3 hang-up calls a day, sometimes more. They love to call at meal time. If anyone calls us in the night, we don't know about it. The phones are turned off in the BRs. JCY

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                    We have a separate message recorder with audio so we can hear what the caller says. Our message states: "Hello, you have reached (phone no). If you are a telemarketer, please put our no. on your no-call list & hang up now. All other callers, leave a message, & we'll call you as soon as possible. Thank you, & have a good day." As soon as those callers hear that about being a telemarketer, they hang up. We get at least 3 hang-up calls a day, sometimes more. They love to call at meal time. If anyone calls us in the night, we don't know about it. The phones are turned off in the BRs. JCY
                    YUP. That usually does it!
                    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
                    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

We got the Microsoft scam. First, they asked for my husband. Bwhahah! If the computer has a problem it is me that's calling for support, not him!

Then they figured they would try to see if I would play and help them with the "service call" Hubby requested. (Riiiight.) They started out with something about my Windows. I had so much fun playing with them!
                      He finally hung up on me when I gave him a date that would be good to come and wash all of the windows. I told him I'd even lock up the dogs so he could get in the gate.
                      Be who you are and say what you feel
                      because those who mind don't matter,
                      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Plenty of those calls about our credit cards, hearing aids, accident alert is a new one, someone must have found out how old DH and I are. We've been screening our calls and if it is a legit call they leave a message. We do get a lot of messages that are just a loud sound, fax messages we think but we don't have a fax machine.

We are on the National No Call List but that was for calls that solicit something, now they get around that by taking a surrey or saying we won a prize. Only prizes I've won lately are the many forum gifts I've received from M* angels.
                        Last edited by MayinJerset; January 22, 2014, 11:55 PM.

Comment

If I don't recognize a number I do not answer the phone. I get a lot of calls from 800 numbers and have even had a call from 111-111-1111 which is not a legitimate number. I will also do a reverse number look-up online and most of the numbers will come back has no legitimate or not in use.
                          Donna
                          MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

We are both retired and my husband naps every afternoon. He get soooo angry when he gets those calls in the middle of his naptime. They need to realize that an angry prospect is not what they are seeking. LOL

Comment

A friend at work has a good trick. When a marketer calls he tells them he is busy & asks for their home number so he can call them back. Lol. Also when they ask "how are you" he gives them a long list of made up woes, not letting them get a word in edgewise.. They usually hang up, frustrated, turn around is fair play. Haha
                              May the road rise up to meet you...
                              May the wind be always at your back...
                              May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                              Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                              X