Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just when you thought I might have given up . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just when you thought I might have given up . . .

Hi friends,

It's your friendly M* Health and Wellness Director. I've been off duty for a bit, but it's Monday, it's a new year, and I'm back!

If you are tired of hearing from me to get up and move, this funny is for you:

exercise.jpg

December wasn't a great month for me with my car crash and all the ice and snow, but I did manage to get a few runs in. It's still really cold here, but the snow has mostly cleared and I got back on track last week, hitting my goal of four runs per week. They were hard, given I'd been more off than on in December, but hey -- every step counts, right? One day last week it was five degrees and I was so worried about running in the cold, I overdressed (think Michelin Man) and had to start shedding items along my route. No more "it's too cold" complaints from me!

Also -- and here's the BIG NEWS: I gave up caffeine for 2014. Just gave it up cold turkey on Dec. 30.

I have to admit I was miserable for two full weeks. I had a horrible headache, nearly migraine strength. Talk about detoxing! Now I am drinking nothing but water (except for the occasional glass of wine or beer) and I feel so much better. And guess what?! I lost four pounds! (I think I was retaining a ton of water from never drinking any.)

Before I quit, I was drinking 3-4 cups of coffee a day and 3-4 "big gulp" unsweetened iced teas a day. I drank absolutely no water. I was literally running on caffeine. It was really hard those first few days not to give up, but I made it through to the other side and I feel so much better. (I knew when I developed a constant eye twitch a few weeks ago I was probably horribly over-caffeinated. Lo and behold, two days into my detox my eye twitch disappeared.)

Anyway, here's a word of encouragement to take a first step toward better health and fitness in 2014. You can do it!
    Joan, aka the Unaquilter

"I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma."

Learn more about me and my quilts at my blog:

http://debtofgratitude.wordpress.com/

Re: Just when you thought I might have given up . . .

Good for you! Everyone should give up caffeine. (There's some caffeine in chocolate, but I haven't been able to give that up yet.) I allow myself 1 c. of decaf a day, but I drink mostly water. I also like Celestial Seasonings teas, which I mix half with green tea & a little flavored vit. water. It's a nice drink either cold or hot. I also use if for my morning Psyllium. I quit using generic Metamucil b/c it contains sugar. Unless contraindicated, most people should drink 8 glasses of pure water a day, in addition to any other beverages. If you live in an area where your water is fluoridated, you might consider switching to distilled or reverse osmosis water or pure spring water. Everyone's health would be improved by never drinking soda pop of any kind. JCY

Comment

I'll drink to that!
      Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

I can relate to that! I had to quit cold turkey last month, it had started making my heart flutter. I went through the battery of heart tests, and the conclusion was to give up the 2 liter a day Diet Coke habit, so I went with the decaffeinated version. Can't go off of it totally, besides, I hate to drink water...water is for bathing! LOL! I try, but don't like it.
        "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
        :D

Comment

There's nothing wrong with caffeine in moderation. In fact, it's been implicated in many health benefits, the key again is moderation.
          See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Comment

I enjoy my morning coffee...it's the only caffeine that I get during the day. Plain water almost makes me sick...always did. So I add Crystal Light to it. I need to get up and get moving more.
            *~* Myrna *~*
            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I am a coffee addict - I try to make a cut off time each day - 11 am, but since it has been so cold, sometimes I slip in another cup after lunch. This last week I switched to decaf hot tea in the afternoon - I am sleeping much better and I get my warm drink!

I also went back to taking a walk 2 times a day at work - I work in a high school that is fairly large and we take a couple of laps around. Adding steps to my day anyway that I can. It also helps my stress level to get up and move, I come back with a fresh perspective.
              Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

I don't ever, ever, ever drink coffee....can't stand the smell of it! However, I do have my morning can of Pepsi. After that I swap over to water. I always have ice in it, and sometimes I add Mio flavoring. I really like that stuff. Just a small squirt.....however, I ran out of my favorite Saturday (sweet tea) and they didn't have any at the grocery store yesterday!! It'll be plain water for a few days till I make it to another store to check.
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I had gotten sick and had to be hospitalized in October 2013, I gave up on drinking pop. I had felt horrible for a couple of days but soon started feeling so much better. Well, at the George Strait concert on Saturday, it was so much cheaper to get a bottomless cup of soda than a bottle of water. Needless to say, I didn't feel good yesterday and woke up to a horrid migraine this morning.
                  I do drink hot tea and hot chocolate. Of course, I like to eat chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by MRoy View Post
                    Plain water almost makes me sick...always did. So I add Crystal Light to it.
                    Having lived in a number of different places in these United States, I can firmly state that not all water is created equal! The best drink in the world in my humble opinion is pure, clean, crisp , cold, fresh water from a deep artesian well. But then, when I go to Arizona, I can't stand the local tap water from the Salt River. Maybe you just have never had the chance to drink a truly wonderful tasting water.
                    sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                      Good for you! Everyone should give up caffeine. (There's some caffeine in chocolate, but I haven't been able to give that up yet.) I allow myself 1 c. of decaf a day, but I drink mostly water. I also like Celestial Seasonings teas, which I mix half with green tea & a little flavored vit. water. It's a nice drink either cold or hot. I also use if for my morning Psyllium. I quit using generic Metamucil b/c it contains sugar. Unless contraindicated, most people should drink 8 glasses of pure water a day, in addition to any other beverages. If you live in an area where your water is fluoridated, you might consider switching to distilled or reverse osmosis water or pure spring water. Everyone's health would be improved by never drinking soda pop of any kind. JCY
                      I gave up soda pop in 2001 and never looked back. I just don't like sweet drinks, lucky for me. But I sure loved the caffeinated one. We have a Brita pitcher and a filter on our fridge water, so I drink that. Does that filter out flouride? I admit I don't know.

Can you believe I'm not a big fan of chocolate? I rarely eat it. My downfall is salty snacks not sweets. Everybody has their vice, huh?
                      Joan, aka the Unaquilter

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                        I don't ever, ever, ever drink coffee....can't stand the smell of it! However, I do have my morning can of Pepsi. After that I swap over to water. I always have ice in it, and sometimes I add Mio flavoring. I really like that stuff. Just a small squirt.....however, I ran out of my favorite Saturday (sweet tea) and they didn't have any at the grocery store yesterday!! It'll be plain water for a few days till I make it to another store to check.
                        Bubba, the first few days I could barely get 1-2 glasses of water a day down. But as time has gone on, I find I have water near me all the time. I can drink 16 oz before I leave the house in the morning. The last few days I've been drinking it with lemon and I like that so much better!
                        Joan, aka the Unaquilter

Comment

Originally posted by ilive2craft2 View Post
                          I am a coffee addict - I try to make a cut off time each day - 11 am, but since it has been so cold, sometimes I slip in another cup after lunch. This last week I switched to decaf hot tea in the afternoon - I am sleeping much better and I get my warm drink!

I also went back to taking a walk 2 times a day at work - I work in a high school that is fairly large and we take a couple of laps around. Adding steps to my day anyway that I can. It also helps my stress level to get up and move, I come back with a fresh perspective.
                          Lisa -- I used to work at a university with a large basketball arena and I would walk the concourse on my lunch hour. It made such a difference in my mood. Now I'm in a place where I don't have easy access (and I've started running in the mornings). But still, I get up from my desk sometimes and go for a walk around the building and it makes all the difference.
                          Joan, aka the Unaquilter

Comment

I don't drink coffee, hate the taste, love the smell. I drink hot tea in the morning and sometimes later in the day. I like hot chocolate. I drink Iced tea home brewed so I can control the sugar. I can drink some flavored seltzer water from a bottle but not a can. Plain water doesn't sit with me either. we have a Brita pitcher in the fridge but still. When we had well water it was wonderful, but then we got switched to city water...ick, chlorinated and florinated. I gave up soda last year and have only had maybe 1/2 dozens cans in a year.
                            Have wondered about the Mio stuff but have not tried it because I think it has artificial sweetners. Will NEVER give up chocolate.
                            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                            Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by MarianneK View Post
                              There's nothing wrong with caffeine in moderation. In fact, it's been implicated in many health benefits, the key again is moderation.
                              Amen to that! LOL!
                              Also, be very weary of "decaffeinated drinks" as most of them are decaffeinated with formaldehyde!
                              Really best to just drink what God naturally placed on Earth for us to drink - water and milk.
                              Happy Quilting!

Comment

Working...
                              X