Good Night Owl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Night Owl

I think Saturday is open mic night. So have at it!

We have a sick goat. She's one of the older does, and a real sweetie. Hubby looked out the window this morning and asked "Is it normal for a goat to pant?"
    Umm, sometimes. If they have been chased around the pasture; yes. If they are in the middle of a regime change, which involves a lot of head butting and some cheap-shot body blows; yes. If temps are 80º+; yes.
    If it's 40º, most of the other goats are snacking in the hay feeder, and nothing is in the pasture thinking about eating them, then no. Poor girl has the beginning stages of pneumonia. She received a dose of antibiotics and some extra attention today. I'm pretty sure the purple licorice vines were the magic that slowed her panting to closer to a normal breath by the end of the day. She'll probably get another dose of them tomorrow, since the antibiotics are a 48 hour variety. She might also get to come out and help me trim some of the wild huckleberry along the driveway. She is my sweetheart, I don't like to see any of them sick, but this one really gets to me. She is the great granddaughter of my very first FFA show goat, and she looks & acts so much like her.
    We spent most of the day outside. It was pretty nice. We still have lots of work to do, and it seems that the project lists never get any shorter. I'll see what I can get done tomorrow before the Seahawks game.
    During the game I am going to work on some permanent plant ID markers for the garden. I have some FIMO & Sculpy clay that I have had for years (nearly 20!) I'm going to try to work with that since I am too cheap to pay the $7 per fork/knife/spoon the nursery was charging for the super cute ones they had made out of fused glass glued to 25¢ Goodwill silverware.

My question is do any of you see something and figure out how to make it yourself out of stuff you already have? Or is that just my thrifty genes coming through?
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Re: Good Night Owl

Indeed, I do! That is how I made my ipad pouch. It was $46 to buy the one I wanted......so I came home, measured, cut, sewed and made my own! Zipper and everything! The quilt shop owner saw it and asked me to teach a class!

image.jpg
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I think the cost of cards is way to much, so I've been making my own.. Another pricey hobby, tho. I don't know if I'm saving anything, but I'm having fun and being creative. Love to buy stamps and paper punches!!

I do the Pinterest almost daily and have found so many items I want to try "someday". This computer gets me into so much trouble with my "somedays"...
      Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
      :icon_wave:

Comment

I am trying for less stuff, so I am hoping that I can use up some of this oven bake polymer clay with this project. I'm not going to make the beads like I had originally planned 20 some years ago! I might as well put it to use in the garden!

Pat - Very cool iPad pouch! The fabric is charming! I can see why they asked you to teach a class!

Judy - I thought I'd make scrap books for myself and the grandparents of my daughter. Riiight. I still have a drawer full of papers and a photo box of stickers. She's nearly 8. I wonder when I'll actually get to that?
        I have used the papers for other projects along the way, so they aren't a complete waste!
        I have also used my rubber stamps on quilt labels, so that makes them multi-taskers right??

Comment

I wish I had all the money I have spent on supplies for the many "crafts" I've tried over the years. I thought they were all fun and "cool" at the time and probably still have many unfinished or even unstarted projects around here. I did actually finish some Tole painting projects and some embroidery/cross stitch things though.
          My latest thing with items that I have around is a bowling ball garden globe. I plugged up the holes and painted the balls; then I used left over glass beads from my DD's wedding. I just had to buy the stuff to glue them onto the ball. Now if I can just get away from the quilting long enough to finish them, they will be worth it: I think! Some people paint the balls to look like Lady Bugs or other things, but I am not that talented; that's why I figured I'd use those glass beads instead.
          I also spend way too much time on Pinterest, the Forum and looking up all sorts of things on the computer. Probably why I don't get as many things done as I should. Too many cute ideas to see, most of them I will never do.
          Nice Ipad pouch Pat. Very cool!
          Gee, I hope your goat gets better. Sounds like she is a great buddy and "helper".
          Last edited by Lindagie; January 18, 2014, 11:52 PM.
          :icon_wave: Linda
          "Home is where they love you"

Comment

One of my top ribs is out of place again... Ouch! It's fine if I move to the right, but hurts like crazy if I am trying to lean or go left... So I guess as long as I don't mind going in a circle to the right, I won't need to go to the Chiropractor. LOL.

Comment

I was justbthinking tonight....I need to put myself on a reasonable budget...seems every time. Stop for something I need I buy something's I don't need...just something I want....what's your quilt store fabric budget?
              Mary
              SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mpyles View Post
                I was justbthinking tonight....I need to put myself on a reasonable budget...seems every time. Stop for something I need I buy something's I don't need...just something I want....what's your quilt store fabric budget?
                I'm hit or miss, buy as I go. I don't have a budget. If I really want it, I buy it. But, I have learned my tastes and I don't buy things I won't use or want much. That keeps me on a pretty balanced budget.

Comment

Only hobby I've spent a lot on, except quilting, was oil painting which I did for about 25 years. I still have paints, brushes, etc and someday will go through them to see if they are worth passing on to someone else. They are in a small cabinet in the garage and I should get to them soon as I could use the space to store items like big cake pans, small appliances I use once in awhile, etc.

I like to 'recycle' stuff too. During the summer we replaced our old saggy couch in our family room with a nice soft leather sectional. I kept the 3 loose back pillows from the old couch, recovered them with some discount drapery fabric and tossed them onto the new sectional. They look great and are very useful when I recline on the couch to rest my legs, and when DH or I take a nap too. My sisters liked the throw pillows and were very surprised how I came to have them. I also wanted to keep the foam seat cushions but had no immediate need for them and also any place to store them so they went out with the back pillowless couch.
                  Last edited by MayinJerset; January 19, 2014, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mpyles View Post
                    We're supposed to have a budget?!?
                    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Today my budget totally changed. I put a deposit on my very own apartment, well rented one. I will not move till June or July but my granddaughter is old enough now for my daughter and her to move closer to her work and go to a regular day care and for me to be able to not have to watch her on a daily basis. A true empty nester I will be.

But it means I need to crack down on my budget so I can have dollars to move and such. I will still buy if I really need something, but no buying just to buy for a bit. Boohoo

I will sure get back to it after I move though. Until then I really have plenty to make my quilts. Heck I have enough for the next year or so.

I also have some crochet baby blankets to make so I have plenty to keep me busy. Including this wonderful forum
                      Karen
                      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Ouch Kensington! I hope you can get yourself back "in line" soon!

Mary -
                        I tried the "NO FABRIC!" thing a few years ago. I was good for about 3 months, then I couldn't stand it any longer.
                        I have tried shaming myself by keeping my receipts so I can see how much I have spent. That didn't work either.
                        I am working on the "less" principle this year. I want to have less fabric on 12/31/14 than I did on 1/1/14.
                        I may buy some during the year, but as long as more goes out than in, I'm good, and no guilt. Also, I am only paying cash for it. Depending on my paycheck to bills ratio, I may be able to tuck $5 to $20 away towards a shopping trip. I do feel a bit guilty going into the LQS for a meeting or class and not buying, but if I don't have the $$ on me, I can't.
                        You could also buy yourself a gift card in a set amount when you have the extra money. The nice thing about those, is most places sell them, and you can use them at checkout if you are ordering online later.

It sucks not winning the MegaMillions lottery!
                        Wait - I need to play to win, but I don't want to give up the $ I could use for fabric... Dang!

Linda - Now I wish I had a bowling ball for the garden! Hmm - maybe I'll have to look for one the next time I'm at a thrift shop hunting for more plant-stake silverware!

May - I have some watercolor & acrylic paints left around here from college classes and tole painting. I may have to find them and send them on their way to someone who can use them.
                        What a creative way to get some new throw cushions for your new couch! Go you!

Kgrammie! A new apartment! That is as good of a reason for a budget as I've heard! Congrats!
                        Last edited by toggpine; January 19, 2014, 12:46 AM. Reason: More comments while I was typing soooo slowly!

Comment

Poor goat. What is her name?

My girls and I had so much fun with clay. We would make these turtles and snails with sea shell shells. Really cute. The turltles made adorable earrings. A fun garden stake is to get those wooden shapes and draw on them with a wood burner. Then make a hook with a coat hanger.

My other hobbies were scroll sawing I still have it. Then I really got into mosaics. The broken plate style. I have several books on it and thinking about starting or finishing some projects. Like Quilting, too many ufo's

Small gift cards are so hard to find in pkgs, if you can find them at all. Might have to add that one to the list.
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                          X