HELP FOR MY KNEES, OUCH!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP FOR MY KNEES, OUCH!!

Thank you all, I will take your advice about the MRI. I was thinking of changing doctors. I also will start taking the Aleve as directed and see how that goes. I appreciate "talking" with those who have the experience with this condition. Just keep me in your prayers please, I need all I can get, especially with the losing the weight part!! Thanks - God's Blessings to all of you.

Comment

I can sympathize with your pain. I spent a couple of years with back pain that got worse and worse. When I was to the point of 4 Aleve a day and not much relief I finally went to the doctor only to find out it was my hip and not my back. I had a total hip replacement since the joint was bone on bone. After recovery I have been completely pain free. Since it was my right hip my left knee which will also need replacement sometime has been much better. I was able to start doing things again that I love like sewing!
      Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Another idea that my doc approved when I showed him.....at any drug store you can find a variety of knee braces. I bought the one that is neoprene tube and just slips on over the foot up to the knee...no hole for the kneecap or straps. He said they did 2 things.... Stabilized the knee and used your body heat to create warmth. Do not use them at night to sleep in!! Not a long term solution, but it sure makes a difference for my ability to stand and walk during the day.

Comment

I agree.....about the 4 Aleve.....Even though you don't want to take the 4 Aleve, you might try it. I am sure that the Dr. wouldn't have told you that unless he thought it would help you.
          IF you don't want to take 4 every time you time the ALeve, you could take 4 first thing in the AM ( when you get up ) and then take 2 for the rest of the day, ( each time when the Aleve is due ) .....Then take 4 Aleve at bed-time and I am sure you will sleep a lot better. You might want to take the Aleve with a glass of milk or eat alittle something each time you take it. IF you don't want to drink milk or eat anything be sure to drink a full 8 oz glass of water when taking the Aleve.
          Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
          http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I have osteoarthritis in both knees, and there are days when I just want to find the least painful position and not move the rest of the day. What I have learned through the years is that movement - gentle resistance like walking or riding a bike - are actually my best friends in the long run. I know this seems counter intuitive but it's true, and my doc has confirmed this repeatedly. Start slow, end of the driveway and back. Do it a few times a day. Work your way up to longer and longer distances. You'll still need to take NSAIDS, and Aleve is the best I've found so far. Good luck!
            If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree with Meli. I found that water aerobics was extremely helpful after my first surgery. Most YMCA's offer programs specifically for seniors .... Silver Sneakers, as well as programs for all ages and fitness levels.

Comment

I have had two surgeries on my left knee. The first was to repair a torn meniscus and then 11 months later, different doctor, I had a total knee replacement. If you are to the point where it is bone on bone, that is probably your only option. I would go ahead and take the Aleeve for now, but would not take it long term.

I have a friend with arthritis that swears by raw apple cider vinegar for relief. She puts 2 tablespoons in 8 oz of water with enough raw honey to sweeten it, three times a day. She began drinking it for another reason and then noticed she was not in as much pain. After stopping it for a while, the pain returned. I am going to try it as I have arthritis all over, and I figure it can't hurt.

Hope you feel better soon!
                Donna

Comment

Before knee replacement try the lube shots. I have had them, and they worked for 2 years before I had to get knee replaced! Simvast is a 1 shot deal while uflexa is a shot per week for 3. Both worked for me. I have had knee and hip replaced on right looking at left now.
                  Have a Sewonderful Day,
                  Mary T.

Comment

Originally posted by dwil23 View Post
                    I have had two surgeries on my left knee. The first was to repair a torn meniscus and then 11 months later, different doctor, I had a total knee replacement. If you are to the point where it is bone on bone, that is probably your only option. I would go ahead and take the Aleeve for now, but would not take it long term.

I have a friend with arthritis that swears by raw apple cider vinegar for relief. She puts 2 tablespoons in 8 oz of water with enough raw honey to sweeten it, three times a day. She began drinking it for another reason and then noticed she was not in as much pain. After stopping it for a while, the pain returned. I am going to try it as I have arthritis all over, and I figure it can't hurt.

Hope you feel better soon!
                    Be careful and start out with a small dose of that apple cider vinegar. My DH read about the benefits and talked me into trying it for my GERD. After a few days I got so sick I seriously thought if it got any worse I would have to go to urgent care. For several days after that I was careful about eating and drinking very mild food/drinks. The agony in my stomach!
                    Vonnie

Comment

I have never heard of this RAW Apple Cider Vinegar.....Where do you buy it ? My friend suffers from RA....and it's sad to see her in so much pain. She takes Neurontin ....but it doesn't help that much. OF course if she wasn't trying to help her family and concentrate on her own health issues she might feel better as well.

I would appreciate any info on this Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. If I just tell her about it, she will just brush me off unless I can back it up with the info for it.

Thanks
                      Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                      http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

When I was a teen, I used to drink a bit of cider vinegar in water for my blemishes. It worked wonderfully, my skin was clear within 5 days. I started out drinking it once a day, then cut back to once every other day. It was difficult to swallow but totally worth it. Wish I'd thought of mixing some honey in, that would have made it a lot more palatable.

Comment

See if you can get your hands on some Voltarin. It is cream that is topical. It is OTC in Canada(natch), and by script here in the states. My aunt has severe arthritis in hands and knees and uses this religiously and it helps her. I use it on my legs and back for the pain for the back surgeries. It works well for us. It might be worth a try. good luck
                          Home is where your mother is..........;)

Comment

I am so sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with your knee. If you are able to walk on your knee at all, it more than likely is not a torn ACL but it could be a meniscus or another ligament issue. I would definitely request to have an MRI done to rule out any ligament or soft tissue problems. If it turns out be arthritis, I recommend seeing a rheumatologist who specializes in treating arthritis. I have had two knee surgeries on my left knee for a dislocated knee cap. I will be keeping you in my prayers and wishing you all the best.
                            "Our Lord has written the promise of resurrection, not in books alone, but in every leaf in springtime." Martin Luther (founder of the Lutheran Church)

Comment

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE AND REMEDIES. I THINK AN MRI IS DEFINITELY WHAT I NEED. I APPRECIATE YOUR CONCERNS AND THE TIME YOU TOOK TO RESPOND. LOVE THIS FORUM. -ALLIE K.

Comment

Rhonda l'm walking on my left knee and l've got a torn ACL ..

Comment

Working...
                                X