HELP FOR MY KNEES, OUCH!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP FOR MY KNEES, OUCH!!

My knees are hurting so bad, I can hardly walk. PA said it was probably arthritis and gave me a cortisone shot. The shot helped some, but the pain came back. On to the Orthopedic Doc. He took X rays, said "probably arthritis", take four ALEVE a day ??? I said I thought you could only take two, he said it's OK as long as you can tolerate NSAIDS. Also got another cortisone shot. My right knee is in so much pain when I walk. I am NOT taking four ALEVE'S . This just does not seem right. Heat eases the pain, but walking is a nightmare. Someone suggested Chondroitin . Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks

Re: HELP FOR MY KNEES, OUCH!!

So sorry you are in pain. Been there and have had those awful shots! But, my shots lasted a long time.

Can your doctor give you the cortisone pills? Over a year ago I started having the knee pain again and it was a long wait to get in to see the Orthopedic Doctor. In the mean time I broke a tooth and had to have a root canal and a temp crown put in. Had a really severe reaction to something in the temp crown and the Dentist prescribed those graduated cortisone pills where you take 6 the first day and five the next and so on. Amazing - my knee pain went away and have had only minor problems since then. Canceled the other appointment.

Don't know if that will help you or not.
    Vonnie

Comment

4 Aleve a day is ok to take. That still isn't as strong a dose as the prescription strength Nsaids.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

I have arthritis in my hips, knees and hands. I take 4 Aleve a day, 2 every 12hours.
        TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Originally posted by alliek View Post
          My knees are hurting so bad, I can hardly walk. PA said it was probably arthritis and gave me a cortisone shot. The shot helped some, but the pain came back. On to the Orthopedic Doc. He took X rays, said "probably arthritis", take four ALEVE a day ??? I said I thought you could only take two, he said it's OK as long as you can tolerate NSAIDS. Also got another cortisone shot. My right knee is in so much pain when I walk. I am NOT taking four ALEVE'S . This just does not seem right. Heat eases the pain, but walking is a nightmare. Someone suggested Chondroitin . Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks
          JAYZEE!
          Have you had X-rays? If you have advanced arthritis, injections will work for maybe a month or two. You my need joint replacements, chica. It's NOT an easy deal, but my DH before and after joint replacement, is a great testamony!
          I would do my research. Make sure your doc does at least 10 knee replacements a week, or can refer you to a Doc that does at least 10/week. When you are in the right hands, you will later say, "I should have done this a couple of years ago".....
          I really need to get off the exclamation point.
          It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

What do they replace the knee with?
            Vonnie

Comment

I have been off work since September 13th. I woke up one morning and could not walk. Went to Med Express and they rushed me to the ER thinking I had a blood clot. No blood clot, thank you dear Lord. They said I had a Baker's Cyst. Went to a quack Ortho doctor who gave me a shot in my hip and two shots in my knee. Did nothing. When getting up off the exam table I passed out from the pain in my right knee. Then the quack sent me for x-rays and an MRI. Believe me when I say I couldn't walk without busting into tears. Quack gave me a walker and pain meds and ordered me a shot that is a rooster's comb bone mixture (I'm not kidding!). Took two weeks for the shot to come in. Got the shot in my knee and told to wait 6 weeks for it to work. Meantime, I cannot walk, stoop, bend, sit too long and I'm a nurse! So after four more weeks of pain I called another Ortho doctor for a second opinion. His first question was "Did your other doctor even look at the MRI?" I finally got my knee operated on last Monday. I had the meniscus replaced, and some other tendons repaired and my bones coated. I have a total of 48 stitches inside and 28 outside. I'm going to PT 3 times a week and I'm still in pain but I'm walking with only a cane. It will probably be another 6 weeks before I can return to work, if ever. My suggestion is to get a second opinion and insist on an MRI. I know I have RA in both my knees but I knew this was something beyond Old Arthur! I will pray for you. I know what you're going through.

Hugs!
              Debbie
              Good friends are like quilts-they age with you, yet never lose their warmth!

Comment

On Dec 9th my 85 year old father had total knee replacements of BOTH his knees at the SAME time! He has been recovering here in my house for the last 6 weeks and is doing great! He was taking Celebrex 1 capsule every 12 hours after surgery but now has been prescribed Naprosyn (Generic = Naproxen....same as Aleve) 500mg tabs every 12 hours. Each regular Aleve that can be bought over the counter is 220mg, so his new prescription is like taking just over 4 Aleves a day. I would only caution you to be aware of any GI upset or pain since some people can be sensitive to potential stomach issues on these meds.

My father has been "icing" his knees since surgery and that has helped tremendously with both the pain and swelling. He elevates his legs with pillows several times a day, especially after walking or taking his exercises and keeps cold packs on his knees. Just make sure you don't put ice directly on your skin and limit each icing episode to 20 minutes.

From what I have heard about Chondroitin, you must take it for at least 4-6 months before noticing any improvement and even then it is not an effective treatment if you have severe "bone on bone" arthritis.

I hope you find a treatment that gives you relief. If it turns out you need a knee replacement, just know there are lots of people who do very well with that procedure and are glad they had it done.
                Linda
                -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

My husband takes the Glucosamine/Chondroiton (sp?). It takes about a month before you feel the full effect of the supplements. They have really helped him. He works in marine repair and is constantly crawling around on his knees.

I have also had good response with the Two Old Goats lotion someone posted on here months ago. I found some at our local farm store and gave it a try. It really does work! I use it on both my knuckles and knees.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel
                  because those who mind don't matter,
                  and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I would request an MRI. If there is damage to the ligaments or meniscus it won't show up on X-ray. I'm having surgery on my right knee for a torn meniscus next week. A year ago I had the same problem with my left knee. Surgery and then injections with synvisc has been successful for the left knee, hoping for same outcome for my right knee. Doc says knee replacements are in my future but I'm not to that point yet. Don't give up, find a doc who will order an MRI.

Comment

l agree with the others you need an MRI ...xrays don't show up torn or partially anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) or a torn meniscus l've been going through treatment 21 months so l can have a full knee replacement done and l've had to lose over 40 kilos or 90 lbs in weight so l can have it done.....hopefully it will happen this year ..l partially tore my ACL .....and my meniscus ...........and my patella has moved over to the right hand side of my left knee,,,,, l hope you will be ok and the pain goes away soon goodluck

Comment

Originally posted by grandmasieg View Post
                        I have been off work since September 13th. I woke up one morning and could not walk. Went to Med Express and they rushed me to the ER thinking I had a blood clot. No blood clot, thank you dear Lord. They said I had a Baker's Cyst. Went to a quack Ortho doctor who gave me a shot in my hip and two shots in my knee. Did nothing. When getting up off the exam table I passed out from the pain in my right knee. Then the quack sent me for x-rays and an MRI. Believe me when I say I couldn't walk without busting into tears. Quack gave me a walker and pain meds and ordered me a shot that is a rooster's comb bone mixture (I'm not kidding!). Took two weeks for the shot to come in. Got the shot in my knee and told to wait 6 weeks for it to work. Meantime, I cannot walk, stoop, bend, sit too long and I'm a nurse! So after four more weeks of pain I called another Ortho doctor for a second opinion. His first question was "Did your other doctor even look at the MRI?" I finally got my knee operated on last Monday. I had the meniscus replaced, and some other tendons repaired and my bones coated. I have a total of 48 stitches inside and 28 outside. I'm going to PT 3 times a week and I'm still in pain but I'm walking with only a cane. It will probably be another 6 weeks before I can return to work, if ever. My suggestion is to get a second opinion and insist on an MRI. I know I have RA in both my knees but I knew this was something beyond Old Arthur! I will pray for you. I know what you're going through.

Hugs!
                        Debbie
                        That rooster comb shot was legit. What they were trying to do is simulate the cartridge you no longer have. Bone on bone hurts. I had these shots, and they didn't work. I had knee replacements on both knees, and that cured me. However, that surgery is very painful as they cut the ends of your bones off.
                        Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
                          My husband takes the Glucosamine/Chondroiton (sp?). It takes about a month before you feel the full effect of the supplements. They have really helped him. He works in marine repair and is constantly crawling around on his knees.

I have also had good response with the Two Old Goats lotion someone posted on here months ago. I found some at our local farm store and gave it a try. It really does work! I use it on both my knuckles and knees.
                          Two old goats didn't work for me.
                          Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

I had an MRI on my worst knee but, the steel pins in my knee interfered with the MRI. Had to be still for all that time for nothing!
                            Vonnie

Comment

I used to be a nurse for an orthopedics surgery group of docs. Lots of the docs ordered 4 aleves daily (2 in am, 2 tabs 12 hours later) after surgery. It shouldn't be a long term use but to help get your inflammation and pain under control you should be okay.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

Working...
                              X