The Night Owl in the Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Night Owl in the Hat

It's early. Way to early to be thinking this, but I'm thinking it anyway. I need to get out in the garden.

I am pretty sure this it is because it's neither raining nor freezing in my neck of the woods. The dirt is soft enough that I can yank out the winter weeds. I have all day tomorrow that I can be outside getting a jump start on the gardens. The plants are still sleeping so they won't mind if I pull up the nasty weeds around them. I can cut back the roses and clear out under the blueberries. Do a bit of shaping on the raspberry canes and install the wires on their supports. I also have some phlox that needs a new home. It has gotten too big for it's britches and needs to move. I can make sure the veggie gardens are cleaned out and spread a light layer of compost over the top. I also need to check on the herbs and make sure the slugs haven't dined to heavily on them over the winter.

Yikes - I'm tired just thinking about this.

Do any of the rest of you garden? Either for flowers or for food? Are you getting "dirt fever" yet?
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Re: The Night Owl in the Hat

I always dream about gardening, but have learned that we don't have the work ethic to keep up on a garden. My husband declared no garden plot at this house. I do have a few trellis along the fence and several pots that I plant and we landscaped the front a bit. Need to work on the front landscaping - some have grown big and others have died out. We have a little bit of snow on the ground and it is currently 11 degrees - supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow tomorrow. I think I always think more about planting things when the weather is like this. I am ready for spring, but we have quite a ways to go yet.......
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

I only do container gardening these days.. used to have a large garden and did a lot of canning. The food just seemed to taste better when it came right out of the garden.. got too old and don't have the space for those types of gardens these days.

It's too cold to think planting, weeding or trimming anything outside. Hoping next week the temps rise and the ground will thaw. Then I will start planning this Summer's containers and what plants to buy.
      Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
      :icon_wave:

Comment

No! No!! and No!!!
        ~Kathy~

Comment

Need to do the same here, prune the roses, pull up a few overgrown shrubs, plant some new things in their place...and cut back all the dead foliage that 19 degree weather has seen fit to create. And like you, I only think about it when I can't get out there, tomorrow when the sun is out and it is 65 degrees, I will want to be here in my sewing room, creating. But, I am sure that my DH will have another project for us to do, so I will do neither yardwork or sewing. Oh well! SIGH!
          "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
          :D

Comment

Not a gardener - manage to kill everything. My new home is on an acre with a hundred acres or more of farmland just on the other side of the back fence. There is a grape arbor that I was told produces delicious grapes in the summer and an orange tree with good, but small oranges. I may try my hand at a couple of things. I LOVE spaghetti squash, but it is so expensive to buy in the stores. We also use a good bit of zuchinni and I am told that is easy to grow and very prolific. If I have any luck with those, I may try green beans and bell peppers. We'll see. I will use the square foot gardening method if I do.
            Donna

Comment

Our gardens are under 4 feet or more of snow!
              Gayle

Comment

mod owl.jpgI'm a real Night owl in a hat tonight as it's 3am and I'll be up for awhile. Keep looking out to see if it has begun snowing. We have a pillowcase sew in scheduled in a not so local quilt shop and will have to cancel if it begins snowings. No sense anyone driving on bad roads, we have sew ins every month.

Brrr....too cold out to think of gardening as the ground is frozen. I used to have a big flower and shrub garden, a small herb garden and a few tomato plants but over the years I had to cut back and now just have foundation plantings and big pots of flowers on the deck during the summer. Loved to get down and dig in the dirt planting and transplanting but everything has a season and my gardening season is over. Still admire those who grow their veggies to can. One gal I know makes many big jars of sauerkraut and encouraged me to do the same but we only use about one lb. of it a year so that isn't practical. I'll stick to the few jars of jam I make each year.
                Last edited by MayinJerset; January 18, 2014, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Should have commented during the night, but it is now afternoon. Anyway, it is WAAY too early to think about a garden; ground frozen, a little snow still out there. I got an email from a seed company to order seeds. Can't think about planting anything outside around here until May anyway. Just trying to keep some of my potted things alive inside right now.
                  :icon_wave: Linda
                  "Home is where they love you"

Comment

No water here so no garden. If I planted a tomato plant each tomato would end up costing me $10.00 with the fines we have to pay on water.
                    K is for Karen 😊​..................
                    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                    T - is it TRUE?
                    H - is it HELPFUL?
                    I - is it INSPIRING?
                    N - is it NECESSARY?
                    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by dwil23 View Post
                      Not a gardener - manage to kill everything. My new home is on an acre with a hundred acres or more of farmland just on the other side of the back fence. There is a grape arbor that I was told produces delicious grapes in the summer and an orange tree with good, but small oranges. I may try my hand at a couple of things. I LOVE spaghetti squash, but it is so expensive to buy in the stores. We also use a good bit of zuchinni and I am told that is easy to grow and very prolific. If I have any luck with those, I may try green beans and bell peppers. We'll see. I will use the square foot gardening method if I do.
                      If you plant zucchini, be prepared for A Lot of zucchini. We planted from seed years ago when the kids wanted to try gardening. They tell you to thin the plants, but being frugal I didn't thin them enough. We were eating it most every night & passing on to neighbors until they started hiding from us. Haha!!! They were the best vegetable I ever tasted, nothing in the stores is as good as home grown.
                      May the road rise up to meet you...
                      May the wind be always at your back...
                      May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
                      Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Working...
                      X