Not Your Average Tuesday Afternoon....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Your Average Tuesday Afternoon....

On Tuesday afternoon Fox TV News came to my home to videotape my interview about someone I knew many years ago when I was growing up in Brooklyn, NY. 50 years ago this March Kitty Genovese was murdered in Queens, NY. The reason she is remembered is that while she was being attached and stabbed in front of her building many people saw and heard it from their apartment windows but none called the police or even shouted out from their window. The murderer left Kitty lying there but then returned to continue stabbing her to death. Theory is that if someone had called the police or shouted out her life may have been saved. Her murderer was caught and is still in prison.

About a year ago an author contacted me to inquire if I knew Kitty because my Facebook profile listed that we graduated the same year from the same high school. That led to many emails and phone talks with the author whose book is coming out this Spring. She asked if I would mind her giving my name and email to a Fox News producer and the professor who is conducting a seminar at Fordham University in March. Also Kitty's brother was interested in talking to me about his sister as he is making a documentary about his sister. When I spoke with the Fox News producer he was very interested in filming what I remembered about Kitty. Professor has invited me to the seminar where Kitty's friends and relatives will be talking about her. I haven't met with her brother yet, we were to meet in October but I had to cancel due to my DIL's sudden death. Hopefully we will connect soon. It will be nice to talk to someone from the old neighborhood, he probably knew my brothers.

Kitty lived just a block away from me in Park Slope Brooklyn. We didn't go to the same school but had a friend in common when we were about 8 or 9 and spent some time together. That friend moved so we didn't really play together any more during grammar school as in our area kids tended to stay and play on their own blocks. We both were the oldest in our families and after school we had chores and shopping to do for our mothers so that cut into our play time. We later met up at seniors in high school and shared a few laughs and activities. My story wasn't much but they all were interested in hearing it. Fox also copied photos from my high school year book and some of mine from the same times that I knew Kitty, my communion photos and high school grad day with my robe on. (DH needs to add some photos onto my computer and I'll post some later)

The Fox crew was very efficient, took them about 90 minutes to set up all their equipment in our small living room, the producer and interviewer gave me some hints about how to respond and I also was made up professionally. Everyone was very friendly and talked about where they lived, several live in Jersey and Brooklyn and generally made me very much at ease. After they were finished they put everything back into place.

I know what I said during my interview may just become a little blip in the final story but I was glad I could be of some help. It also made me glad to remember someone special as she wrote on the 4 corners of my year book photo, For Get Me Not and I haven't forgotten her. Especially since one time she, I and a few other gals cut high school to go to New York (Manhattan) to the Paramount to see a first run movie and stage show. When we arrived at the Times Square subway station she ran to the top of the stairs and threw out her arms and sang, "New York, New York it's a wonderful town". Really someone and something special to remember.
    (Photo of the author's soon to be released book) Kitty G's book cover.jpg

Re: Not Your Average Tuesday Afternoon....

WOW May..... Fox News is on constantly in this house... (not always a good thing,, hehehe),,, but will tell DH about this and hope he can let me know when it comes up... any time frame yet... I'd love to see the story.... So sad when the world loses such vibrant people...
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Wow! A TV star is born!

Comment

Oh, May, that story brought back so many memories as I remember the incident so very, very well. It impressed upon me that just one helping hand could make a major difference.
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

May, you made me have goosebumps.

Every psychology student in the first social psychology class learns about Kitty. This horrible case of no one helping her until it was too late is the classic example for explaining the concept of responsibility diffusion to the students. Just this morning in my seminar we saw a short clip about her.

Although all of us are horrified when we hear about her so avoidable and unnecessary death, it has been somehow abstract. To learn that you actually knew her and hear you and Sandy talk about her made her so much more real. Thank you!

Comment

I've seen this story many times. It was horrible. The people who stood there and let her be murdered should have been shamed out of town. That poor girl.

Comment

Wow... that is amazing story. I have never heard it before. How wonderful for her family that you have such special memories to share with them. How old was she when she was killed?

Comment

Kitty was 28 when she was killed, March 1964. I hadn't seen her since shortly after we graduated high school in 1953. At that time we talked about places we went to dance on the weekends and she told me she was engaged. She was always a fun person, like to tell jokes and funny stories.

It was so shocking ten years later to see her murder splashed across the NY Daily News front page and the continuing coverage for the days and weeks after. She died so young, I often wondered what her life would have been if she had lived.

Comment

May, I also remember this story, I was a very impressionable young girl at the time and it sure made national headlines and tv coverage.
                  Blessings to you at this bittersweet time of remembrance.
                  Sewing mends the soul.
                  sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                  Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                  ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I remember that story very well... People were shocked and horrified....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Ya know May, I was a little girl when that happened, but I still remember it. Let us know when it is going to air. I would love to see it.
                      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                      sigpic

Comment

You told that so well May. I do remember that too and felt sick about it. Law and Order did a ripped from the headlines about it too. Very sad, I hope it wakes people up.
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Somehow I missed this thread miss May, how very interesting and scary back in the day. I will have to keep an eye out for when it airs. Do tell us if you find out when it will run.
                          Mary
                          SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Just saw May on TV
                            Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                            I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Working...
                            X