Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh The Night Owl Thinks You Can Think...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh The Night Owl Thinks You Can Think...

I had a quilt finish. Yea!

Now what?

I have to choose the next project to work on. Apparently I need a few days to decide what to work on next. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of projects to choose from. Even if I didn't, there is no dearth of fabric from which to start a new one.

Why must I have at least a day, some times more, before I can get started on another project? This doesn't even include the "clean up" time most of us have after completely trashing the sewing space to complete a fabric master piece. I hate to admit it, but perhaps I'm just getting older and I can't shift gears as fast. Naww.

I think I just need to bask in the glory of the finally finished item. Once that glow has worn off, then I can begin another.

How do you handle a finish? Can you polish off one quilt, and just jump straight into the next (not counting clean up time), or do you ponder and reflect for a few days before heading off on a new fabric adventure?
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Re: Oh The Night Owl Thinks You Can Think...

Oh the deep things we ponder so late at night.....
    Cyndiofthevortex would be sew proud! Me wonders why oh why she never visits during the day.....to regale us with her latest stories of the clever things the boys say...or to tell us of her latest fabric adventure....
    Perhaps, yes hopefully perhaps she is so busy sewing and laughing with those clever little grand-children....that is a most wonderful thought...
    .....and maybe one day she will come back again and grace us with her fair presence.....ahhhh, one can only hope....
    ...Heavy Sigh.....
    ~Kathy~

Comment

Right now, I am sewing the rows together on my Josephine quilt. So far, I am so pleased with how it's coming together. Sewing all those seams and points make me nervous because I want everything to turn out looking good. When I finish this quilt, I will clean my sewing room again and prepare for the next project. I may work on a small one or two before jumping into another, depending on the # pulled in the UFO group.

If I can get some of my UFO's out of the way, I will be able to start something new without feeling guilty.

I love hearing other ideas of how things get accomplished in the sewing room, so thank you for this topic tonight. Happy sewing, Night Owls; you are all the best!
      sigpicMISA
      I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

Comment

I admire anyone who can work on one quilt at a time & finish it! I always seem to have 2 or 3 projects going at the same time. Cutting, piecing & quilting all at once on different quilts. I work on what interests me at the moment. Right now I have one quilt one the design wall, one on the frame barely started, and just finished the block for another.
        What the heck am I doing??? I must be nuts... Lol
        May the road rise up to meet you...
        May the wind be always at your back...
        May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
        Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Dear, dear Patt - I never said I only had one I was working on. I just said I had a finish!

I have a stack of tops, some sandwiched in the corner, a few zippies of blocks to make into tops, a few more of fabric cut to make into blocks, and plenty of fabric just waiting for that perfect project!

It's not that I don't have anything else to do. I just take a few days to decide what the next thing will be. Irritating, especially when I know that is a wasted day that could be spent at the machine!
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
            Dear, dear Patt - I never said I only had one I was working on. I just said I had a finish!

I have a stack of tops, some sandwiched in the corner, a few zippies of blocks to make into tops, a few more of fabric cut to make into blocks, and plenty of fabric just waiting for that perfect project!

It's not that I don't have anything else to do. I just take a few days to decide what the next thing will be. Irritating, especially when I know that is a wasted day that could be spent at the machine!
            Ok now I get it... :-)
            I guess that's why I have so many going at once, now that I think about, when I finish a quilt I usually piddle around with something simple for a day or two,,,piecing a few easy blocks or playing with what's on the design wall. Not really very productive.
            Thanks, I just learned something new about me. You'd think at my age I'd have myself figured out...
            May the road rise up to meet you...
            May the wind be always at your back...
            May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
            Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
              Ok now I get it... :-)
              I guess that's why I have so many going at once, now that I think about, when I finish a quilt I usually piddle around with something simple for a day or two,,,piecing a few easy blocks or playing with what's on the design wall. Not really very productive.
              Thanks, I just learned something new about me. You'd think at my age I'd have myself figured out...
              When I first began sewing and making quilts in 2010, I told my aunt that I just didn't know how she and my cousin could have more than one project going at once. She told me, I would understand once I really got into making quilts.

Now I have several projects going on at once. I work on one, take a break from that then work on another. I guess that's just how we creative types roll.
              sigpicMISA
              I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

Comment

Finally back to somewhat normal and am up at night again. I haven't been sleeping through the night just been away with no computer access.

Haven't worked on a quilt project in a bit but now that you mention it I do stop between projects and take a day or so to decide what to do next. Right now I have been thinking for much more than a few days about a quilt for my guild's show in May. I had planned to make only one quilt for the show and was going to try my hand at a modern style quilt. Then my small quilt/book group decided that each member (8) would make a quilt for the show using a book we had read last year, The Last Runaway. It is about an English Quaker girl who comes to US during the 1850's, not really a subject to give inspiration for a modern quilt. Story involves a lot of quilting, hexagons and applique, and also runaway slaves so I'm thinking a slave type quilt might be one way to go or then again maybe using one of Jenny's tutorials to make a modern hexagon quilt. Time is running out and I better decided ASAP.

Comment

I, Too, had a quilt finish!!! and am just relaxing away from the machine. I have so many UFO's waiting for me to quilt that I'm overwhelmed just looking at that pile. I guess I should have joined the UFO group, but no- I start a new project....

I have at least 12 boxes of NEW quilts to make and tons of stash fabric to fill in where ever my "creative" mind takes me. And then Jenny comes out with a NEW tutorial... I order more fabric!!!

It's the Quilter's Curse.... sew many ideas and sew little time.
                  Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                  :icon_wave:

Comment

Originally posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
                    I admire anyone who can work on one quilt at a time & finish it! I always seem to have 2 or 3 projects going at the same time. Cutting, piecing & quilting all at once on different quilts. I work on what interests me at the moment. Right now I have one quilt one the design wall, one on the frame barely started, and just finished the block for another.
                    What the heck am I doing??? I must be nuts... Lol
                    I'm right there with you. I jump from project to project while my quilting friend starts and finishes one project at a time. And shaking her head at me the whole time.

I usually don't start a new quilt/UFO right away unless its a deadline thing, but only because life gets in the way. If I could, I would finish, clean up, and get going again, maybe taking a little break to consider my options.
                    Last edited by dwil23; January 16, 2014, 05:16 AM.
                    Donna

Comment

I haven't had a finish in awhile so I haven't been basking in any satisfaction to speak of, except my little projects like pin cushions. I have immersed myself in a really, really deep clean so I can get a fresh start

Kathy mentioned Cyndi. She is in the what I want to make group. One thing I put on my list is a landscape quilt. Cyndi want's to make one a MONTH! If you haven't seen her around it's because she is doing her magic and I wish she would show one already!
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I am trying to, and it is my goal this year, to get to the point where I have only three projects going at a time. I think I will feel under much less stress that way.
                        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I have a almost quilt finish, I just have to put a binding on it, hopefully tomorrow. That one has taken months. I made some smaller projects and started a few blocks for the next one. I try to finish the one I'm working on first and then start a new bigger project. If I work on more than one at a time I might not finish one at all.
                          I have to clean my sewing space too before I start a new one and then I need a few days. I have so many projects on my list that I have difficulties deciding which one to begin with next. I want to make them all NOW.

Comment

I usually have several projects going. So even if I get one done, I am usually moving on to another the next day since my amount of time to quilt is limited.

Comment

I have noticed that when I am close to finishing a project my mind starts racing.....thinking about how I will approach the next project & I usually already know what the next one will be. I feel like I am excited to finish one but also look forward to starting on the next one.

I've been quilting since the fall of 2011 and I only have 2 UFO's so far..........so I guess that's not to bad! Guess I feel better is I complete one before moving on to the next.

Usually I take a few days to clean up the previous mess and collect my thoughts about the new project and then get started.........however I have been very slow getting started this new year........in fact I haven't yet other than thinking about it!
                              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Working...
                              X