Australian heat wave is the hottest and longest in 100 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian heat wave is the hottest and longest in 100 years

Hi All we are currently experiencing the longest and hottest heat wave in 100 years in Australia its currently 42 degrees Celsius = 107.6 degrees Fahrenheit in Victoria its suppose to reach 44 degrees celsius today. And its suppose to be 46 degrees Celsius or 114.8 degrees fahrenheit in Adelaide today and its currently the hottest city in the world today. its all started on Sunday - Monday and isn't suppose to end until Saturday ...Whew!!!!

Re: Australian heat wave is the hottest and longest in 100 years

Wow - that is hot! Stay inside unless you absolutely must go out - drink lots of water and stay as cool as possible.
    Donna

Comment

Sounds like 'someone' is messing with the air conditioning and heat settings the whole world over. Stay safe and stay comfortable!! Good to hear from you - don't dry out though.
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

A year ago, we had 110 degree weather and a terrible drought. It is time for you guys to get in the swimming pool!
        Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Been watching the Australian Open (tennis). Not sure how the players are doing it. Crazy hot!!! Stay cool.
          Last edited by Annabelle013; January 15, 2014, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks Everyone ........ the bureau of meterology just upgraded Fridays temperature up to "44 degrees celsius -107.6 degress farenheit" .... 30 degrees or 86 F overnight...........whew !!!
            Last edited by Lissau; January 15, 2014, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Hasn't quite made it to 46C here in the Southern suburbs but got to 44.2 for a while. I do love living in Adelaide in spite of this and luckily we're only 20 minutes away from several great beaches
              Jane

http://jtct-jane.blogspot.com.au

Comment

We're doing it okay so far here in Brisbane compared to you guys down south. Still too hot to sew or do anything too active, but we are not suffering too much.
                Have never seen the heat effect the tennis like it has this year. Ball boys passing out, players also dropping, soles of shoes melting. I think one of the players even went to sit down on one of the chairs and burnt her rear...ouch.
                To all my southern mates, please stay safe, well hydrated and out of the heat.
                HUGS,
                Lenore

"I'm not crazy. My Mother had me tested." (Dr Sheldon Cooper)

Comment

I know how you are feeling. I grew up in Southern California in the San Bernardino Valley and boy did it get hot - July and August were the worst. Back then most homes did not have air conditioning. We had swamp coolers with straw pads and water would slowly trickle through the straw and the fan would blow cool damp air through the house. It wasn't unusual for the temperature to be 110 - 116 degrees F. It was a very dry heat.

Hope the temps cool soon for you.
                  Vonnie

Comment

Much more comfortable night last night and we enjoed an evening swim as the sun went down. Its 10.30am now and the temperature is steadily rising again (around 100F at the moment)

adelaide.jpg

Lots of bush fires around our state but thankfully nothing near us. Today is 'critical' as strong winds are expected later combined with thunder storms. These storms rarely bring much rain but there are frequent lightning strikes!

This is our main City Centre shopping Mall yesterday
                    rundle.jpg
                    Jane

Comment

I heard on the world news tonight that those tennis players were wearing ice vests between meets to cool off! That sounds uncomfortable and unsafe to play in such heat! Stay wet, stay hydrated, stay as cool as you can! Wish I had a little of your heat....just a bit!

Comment

Cooling thoughts to all of our forum buddies down under. I hope the heat ends soon for all of you. Just think we will be sweltering and you will be enjoying winter temps.!

Comment

We are too warm here too. It was 85 today! No sign of rain for weeks to come. Wells are drying up, wildlife is dying, the oak trees are wilting...need to do a rain dance!
                          Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
                          Maya Angelou

~Megan~

Comment

Rain dances don't seem to work in South Australia but we're used to it and coping pretty well (like some of our friends here)

cool koala.jpg
                            kanga.jpg
                            roo.jpg
                            Jane

Comment

Cool Koala.jpg Photographed in South Australia.

(Photo by Marilyn Saunders via ABC News AU)
                              ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric and then sow it back together again? Really?"

Comment

Working...
                              X