Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We need to have a serious discussion about...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need to have a serious discussion about...

We need to have a serious discussion about the order in which socks and shoes should be put on....

Personally, I take the "sides" approach. I put on my right sock, then my right shoe, then the left sock, then the left shoe.

My wife is a layers person, she puts on both socks then the shoes although I've never paid attention to if she favors starting on a certain side.

I know my mom used to get mad at my dad for ripping out the hems in his pants because (back in the old days when men had to get really dressed up to go to office jobs) he would put on his socks and dress shoes before putting on his dress pants and the soles would catch the hems and tear them out occasionally.

So- where do you stand on this controversial and important issue? In what order do you put socks and shoes on?
    Loosely based on a true story.

Re: We need to have a serious discussion about...

Pants on first, then both socks, then the shoes. The thing I have to remember is to make sure the socks are under the pant legs and not over them. People look strangely at you if they are on top!
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

You are quite right, Ryan....this is in fact a very important issue. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
      Personally, after getting dressed, I usually put on left sock, followed by right sock and then repeat the process for shoes.
      Shoes always go on last.
      Is that normal?
      Last edited by Nidan_07; January 14, 2014, 04:50 AM.
      HUGS,
      Lenore

"I'm not crazy. My Mother had me tested." (Dr Sheldon Cooper)

Comment

left sock then right sock, then pants, then shoes left first then right. Very important issue here indeed .
        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
        Sigmund Freud

Comment

Don't judge.......

Right sock, right pant leg, right shoe. Repeat for left side.

Comment

I'm with your wife....put on both socks (beginning with the left foot) and then add both shoes (beginning with the left foot). It's generally better to shoe-and-sock-up after pants are on.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Sitting, right sock, right pant leg, right shoe. Repeat on left. Stand and pull pants up. Ready to go.
              ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Right sock,Left Sock,Right shoe,Left shoe,,do the Hokey Pokey then I turn myself around, and that's what it's all about!!B
                "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

It's about time someone approached the sensitive subject!

I would think as long as you don't put on the shoes first and then the socks over the shoes........you should be okay!

But for me......socks first.........then shoes...........in no particular order. I guess I just put mine on all willey nilley!
                  "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                  Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

My grandmother insisted it was very bad luck to not put on your right sock/shoe first. Not sure about the both socks or one sock, one shoe, though. I know my Dad followed that RULE all his life and would be upset with us if we did not comply. I put on both socks first, then mys hoes, usually starting with the right, but I admit, not always.
                    Donna

Comment

Both socks, pants then shoes, all starting with my right side. I had to think about it for a moment.
                      ​Robyn

Comment

I can't put my big feet through my pants leg with a shoe on...so must not have shoes on when trying to put my jeans on.

I put my socks on first and then my shoes....beginning with my right foot.
                        Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                        I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Right side, then left side!
                          Mary
                          SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

After reading all the above, I realize that my job as a single mom is complete. I just asked my 32 y.o. son as he was finishing up his morning coffee with me, how he put his socks on. Mommyheart, he said, the way you taught me. One sock at a time. Right sock, left sock, right pant leg, left pant leg, zip up, sit down and do shoes in same order. Then I asked how did he tie his shoes. With a big smile he said, bunny ears.
                            Oy.
                            Sewing mends the soul.
                            sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                            Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                            ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Dear Ryan,

You would be a "layers" person too if you ever had to wear pantyhose every day of your work life.

Just sayin'.

Sincerely,
                              The Nylon Prisoner
                              Joan, aka the Unaquilter

"I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma."

Learn more about me and my quilts at my blog:

http://debtofgratitude.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X