Night Owls, Resistance is futile!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Owls, Resistance is futile!

So I have a bit of a confession. I am not that person that has to have the latest and greatest thing out there. If anything new hits the market and I mean any market, restaurant, technology, skincare and quilting, whatever it is I don't need it right away. I am just not that lady.

I think it was last March or so I had a 60% coupon for Joann's and I got the Shape cut ruler because I had heard on this forum how wonderful it was. It has sat in a drawer ever since, never even opened. Well a little over a week ago I got frustrated cutting 2 1/2 inch squares. I always seemed to end up with at least one or two that just weren't right. So I pulled out the shape cut to give it a try. Oh my God! It is amazing and I have even cut squares for a project I don't even plan to touch until February just to cut some more squares.

So tonight's question is:

Are you resistant to the latest and greatest tools/technology whatever it may be and do you now love something that you were resistant to using before?

By the way it is O.K. to laugh at me for being resistant to the one of the greatest quilting tools ever!!!!!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Re: Night Owls, Resistance is futile!

Good topic Lisa! I have the Shape cut ruler on my wish list for my family. I'm not one to run out and get the latest and greatest gadget either. With most electronic gadgets.......they are almost obsolete by the time you get them home from the store.

As far as quilting gadgets and rulers..........I like reading opinions about them here on the forum. That helps me decide if that is something I would really use. In most cases I will wait it out until my b-day or Christmas. I did splurge a little when I went to the Houston quilt show last year.

It's kind of funny about the latest and greatest.....sometimes it is something coming around again in popularity. Our son's girlfriend bought him a record player for his b-day.........and they think it is the coolest thing ever! Too funny!

Good night little night owls!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I like to wait until the newness is gone and i have read reviews both good and bad. Even then I usually do not get new gadgets. If what I have is working I figure why change it.

I have not yet found myself interested in the cutting gadgets. I like cutting materials and I really like precuts.

But the more I hear about them who knows what the future will bring.

Have a good late night all.
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I can't get used to the shape cut. Maybe I'm using too large of a cutter? It's still hanging on the wall. I like my rulers I haven't gotten into the phone world.

I know it's not open mike but my day started off trying to get rid of my paper hoarding. I got pretty far. How long do you keep your bill invoices? I think every table was covered and I just don't know how long to keep them!
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

When it comes to quilting, I am the gadget gal. I own way too many special purpose rulers. Then again, they improve "my" quilting skills so I love them all. Truth be known, a good quilting tool is far more a testament to the tool designer than to any skills I have. Those gadget designers are the ones who make my quilts look better.

As for new electronics, however, I'm with the rest of you. I like to let other people try them out and work out the bugs.
          Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Lori: When the bill has been paid and it is reflected in our account the paper bill gets shredded. We really don't have any paper bills come here anymore because we pay everything online now.

Shape cut, I am just loving it, maybe you need to try a different cutter?

Tech, we always wait until the bugs are out (minimum of 1 year) and the price to come down, usually 2 yrs.
            Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

I'm not one that needs the latest or greatest out there. I work with what I have. Don't get me wrong, sometimes there are things that really catch my eye but if it's online, I'll put it in my cart, look around the site for awhile and then take it out, knowing it isn't something I can't live without. I do the same thing when shopping at the store. I do believe in the right tool for the right job, but let's get real....how many rulers does one really need? I also try to save money and make some of my templates myself.
              Cil
              A quilt is a blanket of love
              http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
              http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                I can't get used to the shape cut. Maybe I'm using too large of a cutter? It's still hanging on the wall. I like my rulers I haven't gotten into the phone world.

I know it's not open mike but my day started off trying to get rid of my paper hoarding. I got pretty far. How long do you keep your bill invoices? I think every table was covered and I just don't know how long to keep them!
                Most of our bills are electronic too, and we pay 98% of our bills online. Anything paper that does come into the house gets put into one file box. At the beginning of the year, I keep what I need for taxes and everything else gets shredded or burned. I only keep 1year going at a time. I keep all my taxes in the folder we're given in a drawer. Those I keep about 10 years which is probably longer than I need to but they don't take up much room.
                Cil
                A quilt is a blanket of love
                http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
                http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=GuitarGramma;419298]When it comes to quilting, I am the gadget gal. I own way too many special purpose rulers. Then again, they improve "my" quilting skills so I love them all. Truth be known, a good quilting tool is far more a testament to the tool designer than to any skills I have. Those gadget designers are the ones who make my quilts look better.

What has been your favorite cant live without purchase and what do you regret purchasing?
                  Karen
                  Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

For me it depends on the gadget...I have 4 rulers I think and 2 of those are the big square ones I purchased when doing the tshirt quilts. I promised myself when I got into quilting that I would not have a bunch of ufo's laying around. I am finding that a challenge with clubs and BOM. I feel like it's getting out of hand... My issues are the quilting of them...it's just really difficult on a 10inch throat to roll it all up under there for me. Think my next gadget will be a larger machine so I am saving my money. That means staying out of the LQS cause they could sell me the Golden Gate Bridge I think.

Paper clutter.....don't get me started....
                    Mary
                    SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Not a big "gotta have it" girl. I don't have the space. I've been gifted with a few things that I still haven't used. (I didn't ask for them, so I don't feel too bad about not using them.)

I LOVE my Marti Michell templates. I use them about 80% of the time to make quilts. Close to 100% if I'm making some thing with constructed blocks and not pre-cuts.
                      I regret a flying goose ruler, but I only paid $2, so it's not that bad. I also regret a few charm packs that didn't turn out to be the colors I thought they were.

We don't keep anything over 7 years. The full current year as hubby insists on paper, Years 3 to 7,usually only the last statements of the year. Everything else gets shredded and used as bedding in the goat barn. (Good luck trying to piece that info back together!)
                      Be who you are and say what you feel
                      because those who mind don't matter,
                      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lisapc View Post
                        Lori: When the bill has been paid and it is reflected in our account the paper bill gets shredded. We really don't have any paper bills come here anymore because we pay everything online now.

Shape cut, I am just loving it, maybe you need to try a different cutter?

Tech, we always wait until the bugs are out (minimum of 1 year) and the price to come down, usually 2 yrs.
                        God forbid you ever get audited. Apparently the bank statement and cancelled checks aren't enough, and you must produce a bill along with these things....ask me how I know???

( we've been undergoing an audit since June- business AND personal)
                        "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

I'm not a gadget gal either, limited space mainly. When I began quilting I had limited funds so I 'made do' with minimum basics and still pretty much do that. I do have many different square rulers to square up blocks but am thinking of taking a look at the Shape cutter. I have an extension table for my Pfaff that hasn't been attached because I can't get the swing out foot brace to come down and DH was never around to help me when I wanted to do it. I've been doing a bit of cleanup in my sewing closet and think I'll take it out and make DH help me. No big Kitchen Aid mixer, just a hand help portable = again limited space and also limited use. Way back in 7th grade I learned to make a cake in Cooking Class. We had to beat the batter with a wooden spoon 50 times each time we added an ingredient so using a portable hand held mixer is a big jump for me, LOL! Old way would probably get rid of the bat wings on my upper arms.

Worked as a secretary most of my life so paper work gets kept, reviewed at end of the year and most are discarded or shreded keeping only big purchase item receipts and end of the year statements. My friend's DH keeps everything, I don't think I need old utility bills and supermarket tapes.

Not up to date with electronics, no picture/video phone and I don't text but am getting to feel a little left out of things. Probably going to get a laptop or tablet as I want to get on line and not sit at a desk like I do now as I have to keep my legs in motion because of arthritis. New stuff has so many features and options that people go nuts over but they aren't things that I am interested in and have no need to use. I dread having my Windows updated - I don't want to waste my time trying to navigate around the system to do tasks that were a snap before. Maybe it's just that I'm getting old and don't want to waste my time - I want to be in control of my time not a appliance.
                          Last edited by MayinJerset; November 17, 2013, 11:59 PM.

Comment

great topic as always!

I bought 1 long rule and 2 square up's when I began quilting, then BH Mystery was my 2nd quilt and I had to buy her whatever rulers (sorry can't remember the name). Waited until I heard the rave reviews then I bought the Shape Cut -- I too think you need a 45mm ruler? Those wiggly lines drive me crazy so I'm guessing my big rotary cutters are the problem? Have used it twice, it hangs on the peg board now collecting more dust

Hate new technology! Hubby bought me this laptop for Christmas last year - I knew my old one's CD drive quit working and the driver company was out of biz. I still didn't open it until about Feb? March? Fought with Window 8 for only a few weeks then paid to have it replaced with Win 7! Still do not like it, but it is better than before. The keys on the keyboard they make closer together now, and I used to type over 100 words per minute, so this affects my typing.

We had "smart" phones to take credit card charges, ugh! Since we own Nurit's (the best credit card outside thing), DH would NOT learn how to use his smart phone -- I read the book and walked through mine and was enjoying taking pictures and sending them to me - I hate getting Texts!! Anyway, the smart phones got returned for Stupid phones hahaha I just want a Phone that Works!! Ring, Answer, Hello or take a message - Nothing more complicated!

We also wait a few years after something new comes out - unless something is broken and we have to buy - The technology get's better and the price drops.

Oh DH took an H&R Block tax preparer's class - Audit first time is 3 years worth of Tax records (BUT) if they find something hinkey in those 3 years - they CAN pull 7 years worth. But you only need to save receipts that you use on your Tax records -- and HINT -- IF you get a bill and know you will keep it - make a copy right away. I have many "blank" receipts I forgot to get a copy of,, and the ink has disappeared - Show that to the IRS!!??

Sorry been not gr8, but back online for a bit - Sleep tonight early (almost 1 am here), doc appt tomorrow then back to my normal Night Owl schedule :-)

Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Comment

I'm not much of a gadget person. I like the basic tools and I do love my shape cut. Fortunately for me, my sewing partner in crime IS a gadget/tool person and has to have everything. So, if I want to try something out, all I have to do is borrow it from her.

Debbie, I am right there with you when it comes to laptops and "smart" phones! Oh, and digital cameras - don't get along too well with them either. Not so much the camera, but trying to get the pictures printed is always a major headache for me.

Oh, and I don't bother to shred anything. I tear out the part that has any info on it - acct numbers, address, and save them up. Every so often, dampen them a bit and then toss them into the cats' litter box. ANYBODY who wants to dig through that to get my info - they can have it!
                              Last edited by dwil23; November 18, 2013, 01:38 AM.
                              Donna

Comment

Working...
                              X