Do you exercise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you exercise?

So how many of you exercise for your health? What do you do?

I'm turning 50 in January and have decided that my 50's need to be healthier than my 40's have been. (I've had cancer and severe depression during my 40's...don't want a repeat of those issues!)

So I signed up at a pool/community center about 25 miles away from me and actually met with a personal trainer!!! She is setting up a beginner exercise program for me and will show me around the facility on Tuesday. I can't believe I'm actually doing this. I am going to start going to their water aerobics classes on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. It's about a 40 minute drive for me to get there (small towns on the way, have to go slowly), but I think if I get in the groove I'll do it. I need to lose about 75 pounds too...so hopefully the exercise will help with that too.

So what do you do for exercise? And no, quilting doesn't count!!! LOL.
    Gayle

Re: Do you exercise?

Truthfully? Nothing. But I need to! It would be really helpful if you would keep us updated on your progress, Gayle; maybe you will inspire this couch potato to get up and move!

Comment

Hi Gayle,

I have struggled with my weight all my life. Beginning in my twenties, I started doing Jazzercise. I really didn't stop doing some form of aerobics until recently (we started traveling more which disrupted my old routines). If I didn't exercise, I gained weight; when I did exercise, I'd stay a steady weight.

Recently, I read a book that suggested I may be mildly allergic to a lot of common foods. I quit those cold turkey, and voila! I am losing weight even without exercising. I intend to begin exercising again, because I know it's good for me. Your post may actually be in the inspiration I need to start again. Thank you.
      Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I do not work out now, but I really need to get back in the habit. I used to walk/run when I did work out. We are thinking about getting a YMCA membership though. If we do that, I'll probably try out some of their fitness classes.
        Lori

Comment

I am 70 years old and I walk every day. Usually I get 2 miles of walking in first thing in the morning. Then I try to get another mile
          in after lunch and maybe one mile in after supper. There are some days where I just get 3 miles in. I walk in in the rain as long as it not storming and I walk when it is snowing and cold.I enjoy walking and it is free and good for you. Hope I can continue for many more years.
          sigpic
          Hugs Ann

Comment

I am sad to say I do very little. I do have some health issues that make it difficult but that is certainly a terrible excuse . But I am happy to say that quilting helps me some. I get up and down a lot - from my design board to my iron to my sewing machine. I made sure nothing was close enough to be able to slide around in my chair. So, can I count that as my exercise? I did recently buy some Zumba CD's and my granddaughter and I tried them. It is really fun. So I am going to try to get that going a few days a week. For those exercising - good! keep it up because it really is the healthy way to live.
            Karen
            Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Up until last October, I walked everyday, at least two - three miles (including up and down a LARGE hill 2x a day) plus rode my bike five miles after work at least five days a week. Since my foot problem started, I can hardly walk at all, and am not supposed to walk over 150 steps at a time, but can carely do 100!

I wish you luck and good health on your new endeavor....I'm sure you'll do fine!
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I never had a weight issue when I was married to my first husband, but since I have been with my present husband I've gained weight. We came to the conclusion that stress was keeping the weight off before, and now that I'm happy and actually eating more than a half a sandwich a day with gallons of coffee, I am putting on some weight. I like to walk, wether its with someone or just me and the dog. Winter is coming so I'm hoping to get back into my routine of daily exercise. I have Wii and do the aerobics on that and it makes a big difference.
                It sounds like you are off to a good start with the water aerobics. Maybe do a little walking on the off days that you're not doing the aerobics, and just really pay attention to what you eat, when you eat and how much you're eating and you should start to notice a difference. I have found that to be a big difference for me. You will start to feel much better when you get into your routine and you will actually look forward to the exercise.
                Good luck and keep us posted on your progress...give us inspiration..here's to the healthy 50's..( I'm going to be 52 in December)
                Cil
                A quilt is a blanket of love
                http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
                http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

I walk with the dog plus I am a waitress and there are days I swear I walk 100 miles...I am sure I don't but sometimes it feels like it...love to walk!

Comment

Gayle starting sports is always a very difficult moment, loosing weight is even more difficult. But everything starts in your head.

I'm over 60 years, always moved a lot and worked in the garden. But with the age also came some pounds. I quit smoking; that added another 10 kilos. Now DH and I work out, twice a week and we stick too it. That means at least half an hour biking (indoors) for me . DH is doing cross trainer for half an hour. After that work out for another 30 minutes on fitness machines. A little rest, than 45 minutes aquagym and another half hour swimming. Then relax in the sauna and another swim before we return home. We do that come winter or summer; note the swimming pool is outside and during winter when it's snowing we have to swim or do the exercices, because then the water is really really cold. We started this after we both were sick, very sick with cancer and other issues. Since we do some sports we just feel great. No cancer cells so far and those 2 days in the week we feel like we're on holiday.
                    BUT to loose some weight you also have to watch what you eat. Those 2 sport days, we drink a lot of water and eat fruit apart from some cereals (no kellogs or whatever) but real cereals with some fruit in the morning. We keep our weight and feel just fit:
                    Hope some of these infos will help you and I keep my fingers crossed that you stick to your program. Wish you the very best for your future
                    sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

Gayle,

We are the same age, I will be 50 on September 11. I just joined a local gym about a month ago. There are no machines in this gym and it's for women only. They have various classes throughout the day. I take a turbo kick class on Monday. Wednesday and Friday I go to Drums Alive. We use exercise balls placed in a big bucket and beat the heck out of them with drumsticks. It is a great workout.

The girl working asked me the other day what two of my goals were. I had to think fast so I told her the first two things that came to my mind. I want my arms to stop flapping and I want to wear bikini underwear without them rolling under my belly. I should have come up with something a little better but I had to think fast.

Like you, I started thinking of my health and the fact that everybody says the older we get the harder it is to lose. I have got to get better motivated. I say that as I sit here eating mini marshmallows!!! Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress. We can do this together.

Robin
                      Robin
                      My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

I was that girl/woman who was at the gym 3 days a week and moved every day walking/hiking whatever I could do to be outside. My body, oh my body was great. Then when I got pregnant with my son who is now 8 I got sick. I have not been able to exercise since.

After this last Lupus flare I am really listening to my body and except for the fatigue that hits when I least expect or need it I feel pretty good. I was planning on starting slowly with exercise next week. I am going to be 42 then latter part of September and I want my body back and for me that means exercise. I miss the feeling during it, the slight soreness the next day and the control healthy strong muscles gives you.

Wishing you luck. After about a month you are going to start to crave your exercise and I think it is just wonderful that you are doing this. Good luck!
                        Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

We used to be big time hikers and a 10 mile hike through the woods and up and down mountains was nothing. We rode bicycles and walked alot. But now I have heel spurs and can barely do a 5 hour shift on my feet let alone trying to hike or walk. I miss it. We still bike occassionally but I am so out of shape I can't keep up. We have all kinds of weights here and machines ads hubby is a fitness freak. But it does not help to motivate me, I would rather be sewing or playing video games. Before I married and had kids I was a trim 125 pounds at 5 foot 7 I was slender. after kids and 30 years I need to lose 60 to 70 pounds, I would love water arobics but there is nothing in our little towns to go to and traveling any distance puts me off.
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

I walk my dog twice a day which adds up to about three miles total and I do a mile on the eliptical. My job is also very physical, so I get lot's of exercise every day.
                            Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I loved reading your stories.
                              Gayle

Comment

Working...
                              X