X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my local paper this morning!

I'll probably get in trouble for posting this:

Caldwell County quilting firm goes viral

[David Mifsed, Sarah Galbraith, Natalie Earnheart and Alan Doan came to the aid of their mother when she couldn't work at her quilt shop.]
    Eric Keith/St. Joseph News-Press
    David Mifsed, Sarah Galbraith, Natalie Earnheart and Alan Doan came to the aid of their mother when she couldn't work at her quilt shop.
    HAMILTON, Mo. — Caldwell County’s love for quilting has fanned out across the globe.

A fledgling Hamilton business continues to grow and lure customers interested in the hobby of making quilts. Missouri Star Quilt Co. had its birth in late 2008, when Alan Doan and family members decided to start the business for the future financial security of parents Ron and Jenny Doan. The company serves as a one-stop shop for quilting fabric, quilting supplies, mail-in machine quilting, quilt patterns and fabrics.

More than two years later, Missouri Star Quilt is marketing its wares to customers in other states, the United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, and elsewhere around the world. In fact, the craze has online fans conversing in numerous dialects, such as Tagalog — one of the Philippines’ major languages.

“It’s really paid off for us,” Mr. Doan said. “We started out with $2,000 to buy fabric.

“People come from all over” to take quilting lessons from his mother, he added.

Mrs. Doan loves the work she crafts at the shop. “Whoever thought that somebody would become a quilting star?” she quipped.

Admittedly, only a few customers sought Mrs. Doan’s assistance with their projects at first — usually in a search for certain types of fabric. It became clear that Missouri Star Quilt would need outside income to pay for the new venture.

“We needed to find a way to bring an influx in,” Mr. Doan said.

Social media launched the enterprise into Internet orbit. On a Thursday Facebook page view, more than 4,000 people expressed their preference for the firm’s services.

An online feature known as the Quilter’s Daily Deal allows customers to shop for patterns, kits, needles and the like. It was a never-before-attempted innovation, according to Mr. Doan.

“It was slow at the beginning,” he said, “but we knew we had a good idea. Our entire focus has been on making quilting fun and easy.”

Free computer-based tutorials by Mrs. Doan, an active weblog and local workshops help reach that goal. Supplies are available for purchase at the shop as well.

“We’re really trying to make it easy for people to learn,” Mr. Doan said. “We’re the largest quilting channel on YouTube.”

Missouri Star Quilt operates Tuesday through Saturday with nine employees. The entire family forfeited paychecks for the first year to achieve success. The level of business has skyrocketed to a level of 300 to 400 quilt packages produced by the shop daily. Hamilton’s post office has even received a jolt from customers mailing in their Missouri Star Quilt orders.

Benefits to the Doan family have extended to the community at large, with tourism and retail business flourishing in Hamilton.

Quilting’s popularity makes it resistant to the economy, since the blankets offer a practical use for all families.

“It’s a hobby that’s very justifiable,” Mr. Doan said.

“It becomes an heirloom,” Mrs. Doan added of quilts. “It lasts for generations.”

Missouri Star Quilt is located at 100 N. Ardinger St. The phone number is (816) 583-7722 and the website is www.missouriquiltco.com.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Re: In my local paper this morning!

Sandy, thank you so much for posting the news story! I'm so happy for the MSQC, their success is well earned and has brought friendship and creativity to many.
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Great story, but needs a better reporter, preferably one who knew how to do some research on the topic they were reporting!
      Jenny & Al carried most of the article, but it is nice to hear how well the shop is doing and that it is making an impact on the community too!
      Long live MSQC!
      Be who you are and say what you feel
      because those who mind don't matter,
      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Wow - what a great article. Many continued successes for your company!

Hugs,
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
        http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
        http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

How nice to receive this recognition and from a business stand point, the free advertisement! I loved MSQC from the first day I found them on the internet!
          When I visited Hamilton I could not believe how small it was so I am sure their success has helped this town's economy.
          Much continued success to them!
          Patti
          "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

wow that is awesome. You know ladies the more popular they become the earlier we better get to those daily deals! Congratulations. After two quilt shops closing here. I wish I had the guts to open one.
            Patrice

Comment

Thank you so much Sandy for sharing the article.
              It feels as if we are watching as well as being a part of the beginning of something that will continue to grow beyond our imagination, thanks to a very loving and dedicated family. What a happy and uplifting story.

I had been thinking of quilting for a while but didn't have the courage or knowledge to jump in. One evening I did a Google search for quilt fabric and was directed to Missouri Star, where I saw the word "TUTORIAL." I spent the next hour or probably more watching Jenny. It felt as if she was talking only to me ....... sharing her expertise and effervescent personality. Within a few days I'd watched every Jenny tutorial I could find..... then I found my way to the forum and .... now I'm happily addicted.

Not only has the family created a business, they have helped create friendships.

Wishing all of you continuing success and blessings,
              Hugs
              Mia
              ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
              Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
              (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine View Post
                Great story, but needs a better reporter, preferably one who knew how to do some research on the topic they were reporting!
                Jenny & Al carried most of the article, but it is nice to hear how well the shop is doing and that it is making an impact on the community too!
                Long live MSQC!
                I am laughing so hard - our local paper needs a lot more than better reporters, although that would be a good start. And our local TV station is absolutely laughable, too - and yet I have heard that they are the ABC affiliate training station. Go figure - no Katie Couric here, that's for sure.

Comment

What Mia said. I have made more friends to love and care for and about. Plus if it wasn't for Jenny's tutorials I would have given up by now and just figured I was to dumb to quilt. However Jenny made me shine and for that I am forever grateful. I met my Laura and found out she only lived a couple of miles away from me. Since then I have found all of you and my heart is full. All because some kids were looking out for their parents, when they retired. Love is always the answer! Hugs, Jan
                  Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Thanks for sharing the article!! What great advertising for the store and just a great home town story for the Hamilton area. Congrats!!
                    Michele

Comment

Loved reading the article, Sandy. Thanks for sharing it. This wonderful family is meeting their niche and filling it nicely. Don't you think most successful folks are the ones who think of others first and share? Sounds like the Doan's to me.
                      Sewing mends the soul.
                      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie View Post
                        Don't you think most successful folks are the ones who think of others first and share? Sounds like the Doan's to me.
                        Blondie, I am so fortunate to live close by and even more fortunate in meeting some of the family on my trip to the store. You really need to get a group of East-Coasters together, hire a tour bus and come this way. You walk in this store and are immediately taken care of as if you are a long-lost personal friend or the dearest of family members. I know quilters are friendly (every shop I've been in that is locally owned is wonderful) but there's something so very special and truly unique about this family. And WE are all part of it.

Come west for a visit!!!

Comment

Hello all my quilting buds, I made it though the night I go home at 12:30 am and it was a long night but we raised a good amount of money for a Moose member having a tough time. That is what the Moose Lodge and The Women of The Moose do.

Reading this and all the comments made have choking up and tears in my eyes. It is all true. I have a new bunch of friends and family, and you all and MSQC have given me the courage to do some thing that I would have never done. THANK YOU and that is from the heart. I have set up a new album for anything that you have helped me to do and inspired me to do.

I am so glad that I found you all and the Doans.
                          God Bless you all, love
                          Jan G
                          Jan G :icon_wave:

THE HURRIER I GO,
                          THE BEHINDER I GET!!!!
                          :lol:

Comment

Sandy, if I ever get out that way, you KNOW you will be on my list to visit. I could get lost in your sewing studio alone.

JanG, what a wonderful project to work on. I'm glad that you found your way here as well.
                            I think it is by grand design. I really do.
                            Sewing mends the soul.
                            sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                            Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                            ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Great article. Thanks for sharing! Continued success MSQC!

Comment

Working...
                              X