Saturday, September 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday, September 16

Good Morning. I thought I would start us off, though I have no news. It looks like we’re sleeping in a little today.

I slept last night without my foot above my heart and not lying flat on my back. It was pure Heaven. I may pay for it later though.

I will check in later to see what everyone is up to. Have a wonderful day….🐝
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

It is so difficult sleeping in a position other than what you are used to.😞 I miss being able to sleep on my stomach but one day I will be able to, maybe next week😁. My knee does seem to be improving.
    I got my M* order yesterday along with one from Connecting Threads, I am ready for lots of new projects. Even though the two bundle orders looked as if they were coming separately they were all in the same envelope. One piece of yardage surprised me, I was holding a group of fabric bought on a trip a couple of years ago, I needed a larger floral to tie it all together, the random piece I ordered is perfect so that project is "next" I'm still unsure of a pattern to use.
    I also prepped some applique and the video yesterday prompted me to try sewing the fusible to the face of the rounded pieces and turning right side out. Since this is a 5" or so bear head I think I will cut away some of the fusible from the center once it is turned. That should reduce some bulk where the snout will be.
    Brian's cooking has inspired me to thaw some chicken and get more ingredients for soup. A grocery shop is on tap for today, DH said he wants some deli wings for snacking during the ball game later.
    Happy Saturday.
    Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

Good morning! My friend and I sewed some yesterday? I spent time preparing some sew out samples for my little mini lesson for the forum retreat. Then I got ready to go to a DIFFERENT theatre to see a DIFFERENT show. This one was Sunrise at Campobello, the story of how Franklin D. Roosevelt contracted polio in the 1920s and how he and his family coped with its afteraffects. Very interesting. The director is a PhD in History and teaches History. I have worked with him many times, he loves doing historical plays. I knew and have worked with almost all of the cast, they were amazing! Our show The Cemetery Club was not on stage Friday, as it was the Jewish high holiday, and the story and cast members are Jewish. Anyway, on my way home, the highway was shut down for some reason and we had to detour off and find a new way home. Put about 30 minutes on to my trip home late at night.

Today, I need to clean for my sister and hubby’s overnight and get in some groceries. I also have been researching getting a new mattress for my guest room. Maybe a 30+ year old mattress is due for replacement. It has only been used in the guest room, so not that much use. I also bought some room darkening curtains for my patio door. The back of my home faces a church parking lot, one of their big lights shines right into my guest room and into the sleeping space. You can close the door but then the room gets stuffy in the summer. So I want to see if the curtain can solve that issue.

Lots to do, so I need to get going! Hope you have a great day!

Comment

Good Morning, everyone!
        My toe is healing, but the whole nail bed is turning black and blue. At least it is not too painful anymore.
        I am planning to get into the UFO area of the sewing closet today and make a list of what needs to be finished. The old adage 'out of sight, out of mind' is telling me I need to do this. Not to be morbid, but I am taking stock of what might need to be done if I were to pass away. I don't want my family to have to make these decisions about what to do with UFO's. Besides they should be finished and enjoyed.
        Have a good and pleasant rest of the day doing whatever makes you smile.
        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
        Aesop

Comment

• KarenC
          KarenC commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm also on a mission to get those UFOs completed.

• Lilora
          Lilora commented
          Editing a comment
          Clearing out things is called Swedish death cleaning. I believe it is an act of kindness to reduce the amount of decisions that family has to make after death of a loved one. And yes, those UFOs should be completed and loved.

Lil

• Claire Hallman
          Claire Hallman commented
          Editing a comment
          Put each ufo in a bag with a friend's name on it, if you finish it first, great, if not it is a lovely thought and gift for your friend

Good morning, Barb. Thanks for starting us off.

I’m at work. I believe it will be a slow day. Hopefully, not too many teens try to get in to see Nun 2. I hate R-rated horror movies.

The roofers are going to be around another three days or so. I think he lost some crew yesterday and today and having to put down the underlayment is adding time to the job. On Thursday he said they’d be done today.

I got my sashing strips cut for the Charmed quilt, and three Draculas cut out. Ooh. I didn’t cut the shirt piece. I’ll have to do that tonight.

I have to call a plumber to come and fix my kitchen sink drain leak. We’ve screwed the ring but onto the drain basket as tight as we can get it and it still leaks. New gaskets. New T-tap ring or whatever it’s called. New putty. Still spins and leaks.

The roofers are going to remove the chimney bricks above the roof line and close the opening, except for the furnace vent pipe. No more hearing rain falling down the old chimney. Yay. But it’s gonna add another $400 to the job.

I’m hemorrhaging money. ;-(

Will check back later.

Today’s photo from my photo archives.

Can you guess what it is?

2168091468_72bd13421c_o__150dpi_5x7 (2022_01_26 03_28_42 UTC).jpg

Comment

• geegeequilts
          geegeequilts commented
          Editing a comment
          Your pic looks like a grill for wait for it grill. lol Gina

• Lilora
          Lilora commented
          Editing a comment
          I love pics of ordinary items from an unusual perspective, thanks for sharing Brian

Lil

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
          Editing a comment
          I hate to say -- but maybe you should have held off on feeding the guys ribs until the job was done. That might have been an incentive. I can't believe how long it is taking to do. We put underlayment here as well, and our metal roof took 5 days, because of an early winter, but they kept going.

Good Morning All,

It's been a frustrating morning here. My Husky Boy is on the fritz. I lowered the feed dogs to sew on all of those buttons for the snowflake pillow. Now the feed dogs won't come back up. It's done this before, I just didn't plan on taking it back to the spa so soon!

So, I have my little Brother out. I haven't used it enough to even know what's what. So today, Sew A Jelly Roll day has started out with a frustrating few words leaving my big mouth. I found the 1/4" foot after digging through the box several times, that's where several wordy durds escaped. Then the putting the foot down manually, forgot about that, then the beeper beeping and not sewing. It's finally running and Jim calls. There were a few thoughts of why are you calling now?????????? lol, oh well. His call is done and I might as well leave my frustrations here with the computer. Hopefully, I'll be able to stitch up these strip sets without any further delay.

They are going on their pioneering field trip today. He's gotten a new curriculum that deep dives into any area you're interested in. So they did Pioneering this week. They had a lesson on Chickens... made chalk with egg shells, learned about chickens having ear lobes and that determines the color of the eggs. Another day was cows. I've forgotten the rest. It was going to be a nice break from the norm. I think they're planning to do one week of this type of study every 6 weeks.

Not much else is going on, Mike texted he'd already been through 4 bottled Starbucks coffee drinks. He was going plaid! lol, Space Balls reference. He's buzzing and that was by 9 this morning. He was up at 4 to get there before 5. He'll be a tired puppy when he gets home at 5 tonight. Maybe he won't have to stay all of that time, if they have a good team, like last year.

I'm ready to go back to my strips. Have a great day! Prayers for those in need, for healing touches, for comfort and peace, for grace and mercy. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.
        Katrina
        From NC, retired in FL
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          Rhonda, the silly thing runs, but it won't move the fabric. The feed dogs won't move up at all.

• NoOn49
          NoOn49 commented
          Editing a comment
          is there fluff down there holding it down?

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          There shouldn't be any fluff, it's just been cleaned. It happened one other time right after it had been cleaned. They didn't connect a piece in the raising mechanism, when it went down, it just slid off. Pretty sure it's the same issue.

Good morning,

Barb, glad you were able to get some good sleep. It's so important to our day.

DH helped me yesterday. We took my machine to the LQS for a cleaning, change the thread cutter and replace a part for the foot pedal. Next door to the LQS was a hot dog shop so we had a treat. It was delicious with hot crispy french fries. We are almost ready to roll out of here in the morning. I am packed-clothes, shoes, laptop, ipad, and food. This morning is my hair appointment and cash a check. I will pack DH this afternoon and we will load up.

One more sleep and we will roll out of here.

Katrina, I will wave as we pass by you tomorrow as we head to our first stop in S Carolina. Monday we will drive to our first cabin in NC for 3 nights. We will play tourist and visit areas along the Blue Ridge. We have always wanted to do that and decided it would be our early 40th anniversary trip. Why wait until November? I think the Fall leaves will be starting along our trails. It is one of our favorite vacations to take. We will travel back to North Georgia and stay in another cabin in the woods (if we can find it) for 4 days. Hopefully, the apples will be ready and we can bring some home.

I've packed bagels, crumb cake, blueberry muffins for our breakfast. The cooler will have sandwiches and snacks for a picnic stop and right back on the road. DH doesn't like taking time to eat in restaurants as he can be another hour up the road. Our trip is a ramp up to another big trip out West next year. Let's see how we do!

Hope your weekend and next week is great. I may be able to check in. We ordered wi-fi for our truck. How fun! If not, chat on the 26th when we return. Rhonda K.
        A bucket of sunshine from the East Coast FL!
        Like sands through the hour glass-sew are the days of our lives!

Comment

• Cathy F
          Cathy F commented
          Editing a comment
          Rhonda hope you both have a wonderful trip!

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          Have a great time. If you're headed up 295 you want to wave right at the Merrill Road exit and before you get on the Dame's Point Bridge. I used to be able to see over there, but since the trees have grown up, it makes it hard!

• geegeequilts
          geegeequilts commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh Rhonda, I would so love to be able to meet up with you on your cabin hopping journey! Where in North Georgia are you traveling? You'll probably be on a time schedule & wouldn't have time. Maybe next time, ok? Gina

Good morning everyone! Well, Lee is now a tropical depression passing us way off the coast. We're enjoying some soft rain and a sustained wind, enough to rustle the leaves and keep the wind chimes going. We had far worse weather earlier this week. I'm glad a hurricane won't be slamming into Maine and Nova Scotia.

Yesterday I took some time to restore order in the house. After 2 days of babysitting a toddler it was looking pretty rough. Had take out for dinner. Every part of the meal was messed up. I was so upset I called the manager who was very nice, thanked me for the feedback and reversed the charge.

I finished up the Blockheads block. Very happy with the result, it went together much better than I expected. I credit that to starch. Next up is putting together a back for the double 4 patch, making a replacement binding for DDILs quilt that she has loved to within an inch of its life, and a binding for the village quilt. Not sure what I'll tackle first.

I need to start packing for the cruise which is less than a month away. Maybe start with the dressy outfits because I won't be wearing any between now and then.

​Hope you have a peaceful Saturday.
        Michele
        ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~

Comment

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm so glad Lee isn't bothering you! It looked like a horrible storm. I know I was thrilled when it bypassed Florida.

• chelea
          chelea commented
          Editing a comment
          Lee is still giving us some gusts but it's sunny and warm.

Our cruise is starting in Amsterdam then Belgium, France, England, the Azores, 6 days across the Atlantic, a beach day in the Bahamas and ending in Ft. Lauderdale.

• Rhonda K
          Rhonda K commented
          Editing a comment
          Have fun packing for your trip.

So glad Lee is missing you!
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Sunny & our coldest morning yet this fall. It dropped into the mid-40's I did turn up the thermostat this morning to take off the chill. I'm still bundled up in layers. In about an hour, I need to unload the freezer in prep for the delivery of the new one, which is to be delivered at 11 o'clock. DH is all anxious about the logistics of everything this morning & won't "settle" until the freezer is installed & filled.

I checked the forecast. It' supposed to be back to seasonable temps. this weekend (80*), but the temps. are trending cooler (70's - 60's). It's the night time temps. I need to monitor for disconnecting our swamp cooler. The sprinkler system usually doesn't get blown out till Oct. Those are the last 2 winterizing projects to be done.

I hope to get some sewing done later today. Every day has had other demands, & I just haven't made it there, or by the time I had time, I was too tired to be bothered. Sometimes I'd rather chill out in the recliner & read.

Breakfast is the next order of business, then empty the freezer.

Comment

• Bubby
            Bubby commented
            Editing a comment
            Getting a new freezer is a big job. Won’t it be nice not having to defrost it? We have three freezers and they self-defrost but they still get dirty. The one in the garage is just for game…and things waiting to go to the taxidermist. Our kitchen fridge has a large basket freezer and the one in the laundry room is an upright.

Good morning!

The sun is shining! Temps will be in the very low 70's. I'm going to mow the front yard this afternoon. I think I skipped the side yard when I mowed last time. It looks shaggier than the rest of the yard. I charged the battery the other night so the mower is ready to go.

I am still working on my Halloween table topper. I found the perfect piece of batting for the back. That was a happy find! And there was just enough spray baste left in the can. 🎉. My local JoAnn's has been out of stock for a while. All that's left to do on the topper is to topstitch the points and add the binding. I used straight binding on the fall one last year, instead of bias, and it worked fine. Now I need to remember where I squirreled away my black fabric. 🤔.

I don't have any plans to sew a jelly roll today. I'm not sure what my next project will be after the table topper. I should sandwich my Christmas quilt and start quilting it. That is going to be a lot of hoops. I fell in love with a quilting design from Designs by JuJu, but the design I fell in love with is the square one. The rectangular version of the design added an element I do not like. I tried to find another vertical design -- no such luck. I'm going to use the square design and suffer through the extra hooping. I'm almost afraid to do the math to figure out how many.

Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• Rhonda K
            Rhonda K commented
            Editing a comment
            Julie,

I wonder if you contacted Ju if she would make the size you need?

Good morning, everyone. I am sitting here listening to the vote on the impeachment trial of our AG in Texas. I don't know all the details, but it is historic so I thought I would listen to it. Evidently there are 16 articles to be voted on.

Yesterday was a busy one. I finally finished the log cabin blocks I was working on. Sewed them together but I think it needs a border. Still deciding on that. Finished favors for my next retreat this morning. We did get some rain yesterday, not enough, but still better than none. Only bad thing was I was out at the time, so my 20 minute trip home took an hour.

Nothing else going on here, so I guess I'll go find something else to do.
          Karen
          Spring, TX

Comment

Good Morning

Nice day although more cloud than yesterday. It was beautiful in the sun on the deck yesterday..

I made a prescription pick up & grocery run this morning. Brought a pizza home for lunch. I think I will head to sewing room & play with my machine for awhile. Maybe later the deck will be warmer when the sun gets around there.

Thanks for kind thoughts yesterday. They help.

Enjoy your day.
            Mary Lynn Ontario Canada

Comment

Nothing much happening here but watching Georgia & South Carolina bang helmets together. Guess who we pull for?
              Gina

Comment

• Rhonda K
                Rhonda K commented
                Editing a comment
                The Gators?

Love a good football game.

• Navy Wife
                Navy Wife commented
                Editing a comment
                Go Dawgs!!
            Working...