My BABY arrived this afternoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My BABY arrived this afternoon

Our mail-lady delivered a huge package containing my 'new' Featherweight. I'll be downstairs playing with her . . . gotta give her a name. Any suggestions? Something sweet and gentle. I do believe she was born in 1934 . . . have to verify that . . . which would make her a swinger instead of a Singer??? Some Gentile name suggestions?
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Re: My BABY arrived this afternoon

I just looked and verified that I was wrong. Sorry, that doesn't happen very often

SHE was born August 11, 1952. I had her birth certificate number confused with another machine.

She is still a Gentile Lady.

Comment

Congrats, Sandy... I know you needed one more sewing machine <G>.
      There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Sandy,congrats on your new featherweight. I have a question. What is a reasonable price on one of these machines? I think mine is in the 40's and has all the attachments. It sews beautifully and I am quite impressed with all this little jewel will do. My neighbor;who has been quilting for years; is very impressed with it and she has one she uses all the time. Just wondering. Thanks Rhonda from KY.

Comment

Sandy, she was born just four days after my lovely husband, a very good vintage indeed.
          A hard little worker...maybe Suzi...Suzi Singer, sounds nice.
          Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Now you have to let us see the new baby... We'd like to see her as well. Where Can I get one from? I want one too. Send me a message and prices that would be good to stay around.

I know it might sound kind of funny to some but how about FiFi = short for Feather ie she is a feather weight machine.

Comment

Lucky YOU! I am sooooo pea green! Been wanting a 'lil trooper like that forever. Congrats, Sandy
              Sewing mends the soul.
              sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
              Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
              ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Ooooh! I want one so bad. I keep watching Ebay and Craigslist--when the price is right I going to grab it. I'm also looking for a 201.
                Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

Originally posted by debinmalaga View Post
                  Congrats, Sandy... I know you needed one more sewing machine <G>.
                  You have been keeping up with the fact that I SUFFER from OCD??????

Thanks!

Comment

Okay, I'll fess up - I am SOOOOOOOOOO disappointed!!!! So, here's the story.

I bought two Featherweights on e-Bay. The first one had a shipping price of $99.99 and I knew this was way off the scale . . . but I got the machine for only $88.00 - so that wasn't too bad. I knew the seller had overstated the shipping - probably to make more on the machine. But I made the seller angry (you wouldn't believe the e-mails . . . ) by questioning the 'correct' shipping price. I paid for the machine about 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't been shipped . . . and I seriously doubt it will be. Luckily I have PayPal insurance. The seller has since disappeared from e-Bay. As always, BUYER BEWARE!! Had I checked like I should I would have seen the seller had a poor rating but I was terribly excited about buying a Featherweight.
                    So, realizing the situation, I bid on another machine and checked the seller - excellent record - had sold over 15,000 items and was rated 100%. Great! Description said they weren't sewing machine savvy and I paid $182.90 for the machine and an additional $15.00 for shipping from CA. It was shipped the next day after paying for it and it took 2 weeks to arrive via USPS - come on, Sandy, it is the Holiday season.
                    The MACHINE DOES NOT WORK~!!!~
                    I have serviced and repaired, reconditioned and cleaned many, many machines and I am very proud of my mechanical abilities. I spent over 3 hours with this little honey this afternoon and still cannot get her to pick up the bobbin thread and [email protected]$%$%^ The bobbin and the bobbin case are quite different from any I have worked with before, so I am not certain whether it is me or whether there is a major problem that I can't see. Luckily I do have a serviceman in the area - albeit he's in his 80's and sometimes forgetful - and I'll use him as a last resort. I do know that I need to replace the motor belt and will be ordering one here shortly.

I keep leaning towards calling her Susannah . . . we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by RFREE View Post
                      Sandy,congrats on your new featherweight. I have a question. What is a reasonable price on one of these machines? I think mine is in the 40's and has all the attachments. It sews beautifully and I am quite impressed with all this little jewel will do. My neighbor;who has been quilting for years; is very impressed with it and she has one she uses all the time. Just wondering. Thanks Rhonda from KY.
                      Rhonda, I really think the reasonable price for a Featherweight is well over $200.00. I've seen some that run well over $500.00 and I think it depends entirely on what the market will bear. I'm pretty much a tightwad (you wouldn't know it) but unfortunately will spend over that amount and get stung - sort of like I feel like today. To give you an example - years ago I wanted an old-fashioned butter churn. I went to an auction because they had several advertised. The one I really wanted sold for about $32.00 (this was YEARS ago) . . . and I thought it was too much. Yet that same sale I spent over $100.00 on junk! Well, maybe not real junk . . . in the secret bottom of a sewing box I bought were about 30 sets of cuffs and collars from the 1800's - worth a small fortune if I could find the right buyer. I have done that too many times. If I had lumped the $400.00 I could have gotten a machine that was sold by someone who knew about machines and attested that it was in great working condition.

Will I ever learn?

So, if you were to sell your machine and it is working very well, I don't think I would let it go for less than $400 . . . THERE!! Wanna sell it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                        Rhonda, I really think the reasonable price for a Featherweight is well over $200.00. I've seen some that run well over $500.00 and I think it depends entirely on what the market will bear. I'm pretty much a tightwad (you wouldn't know it) but unfortunately will spend over that amount and get stung - sort of like I feel like today. To give you an example - years ago I wanted an old-fashioned butter churn. I went to an auction because they had several advertised. The one I really wanted sold for about $32.00 (this was YEARS ago) . . . and I thought it was too much. Yet that same sale I spent over $100.00 on junk! Well, maybe not real junk . . . in the secret bottom of a sewing box I bought were about 30 sets of cuffs and collars from the 1800's - worth a small fortune if I could find the right buyer. I have done that too many times. If I had lumped the $400.00 I could have gotten a machine that was sold by someone who knew about machines and attested that it was in great working condition.

Will I ever learn?

So, if you were to sell your machine and it is working very well, I don't think I would let it go for less than $400 . . . THERE!! Wanna sell it?

Sandy, Thanks for your quick response. I too bought my machine on e-bay about a year ago. I knew nothing about them but was so taken by my neighbors I just had to have one. I gave $170.00 for it and it too wouldn't pick up the bobbin thread. I took it over to the neighbor lady and she figured out the needle was in it wrong. Whewww . Talk about relieved I just knew I threw away $170.00 I really didn't have to spend. Any way it sews so good I just can't think of selling it right now but if I ever do I will let you have first crack at it. ha ha Maybe (unless you already thought about the needle) check it out. It may just be the needle.My neighbor told me I stole this machine after she seen how good it sews once we got the needle in right. Good luck and let us know how she is doing.

Comment

Sandy, I feel your pain. Several months ago I bought a vintage Kenmore off Ebay. The seller claimed the machine was in excellent shape. When I started to unpack I heard this rattling sound, first warning. Then when I opened--OMG--it was horrible. Tobacco stains, scratches, and the stitch adjustment knob was broken off. I immediately e-mailed the seller and he was a monster. He made claims that I ordered something I couldn't afford, that I purposely broke the knob, that I was not a sewer, and on and on.

I filed a complaint with Ebay, and fortunately, they took over the manner. I had all my money (even shipping) returned to me. I'm still looking on Ebay though, for a Featherweight. I'm just going to really do my research this time. Even tonight, I was tempted by a low price on a Singer, but I held off.
                          Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

Ok, you all have me curious and I went looking on Craigslist. Wow there are alot of sewing machines listed in a big city near me. I have a vintage machine that was my Grandmother's....well, it's mine for the asking, but I know how much it means to my Mom so I'm not asking for it.
                            There is one on Craigslist that got me interested, but I know nothing of older machines.
                            It's a Singer 348 cam, all metal gears and belt driven. There is actually a video of it workiing and the stitches look great, table top model-but states it can be put into a cabinet.
                            Price is under $100 and it's recently been serviced. I wouldn't have to pay shipping as it's within travel distance for me.
                            Can anybody tell me if this is a good machine/deal? Are the Singers/Featherweights good for quilting?
                            Lola
                            :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Oh, Sandy ....
                              I was so happy for you until I continued to read on to discover your disappointments in the 2 machines you ordered. I hope the repair gentleman can help you out.

Comment

Working...
                              X