Thursday hellos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday hellos

Good morning -- or should I say good evening night owls. I've been up since 2am -- tossed awhile and decided to finally get up. It's going to be a long day.

The bath reno people have kicked into gear -- Mon, Tues and yesterday - the walls are up, insulated, prepped with waterproof membranes, floor layers of waterproofing ready and has been levelled and drying ready to be tiled today - they think tiling will be done by Friday. Let's hope so. Still lots more to do - bring in cabinet and paint, get custom countertop and glass door/window measured and cut, and plumbing fixtures installed. It's not done yet, but I am leaving Sunday, so I've told them they can't do any work next week. Hubby has not been dealing with the stress of reno very well, and could not do it alone. Since there was a bad smell from cement goop on floors, we (me) slept in spare room. It's only a double bed, and last time hubby & I stayed at a place with double bed, we hung on to each other all night so we wouldn't fall out of bed. He opted to sleep on couch first night, and woke up a wreck. I see he is sleeping in my recliner. Hope he is not too wrecked. He found it too hot in the guest room, maybe that's why I'm not sleeping.

My son came for dinner last evening. He has been spending 4-6 hrs/day at the hospital with his friend. The ,surgeon came by yesterday and said he hopes to operate on Friday to put in the stent, but this could be delayed depending if there is an emergency. She is lucky this is the best neuro-science center in eastern Ontario. He cancelled his trip to Vegas, but his friends sent him pictures. He's been before, but first time for a few of them.

I emptied the bathtub in basement where I store my batting, as they have to repair the ceiling gyprock damaged by plumber. Not sure when this will be done. I have also been cutting fabric for kits for my retreat. I have 5 projects, most are fairly simple, but I won't have a design wall, so that could be an issue. I find it easier to sew especially when I have blocks on point. I'm also bringing scratchy wool to make scrubbies when I want to take a break. Retreat is coming soon -- I can't wait.

Enjoy your day -- I may have to take a nap and catch up on zzzz.
    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Good morning! Suzanne, it sounds like your project has taken off finally. Hope it continues to progress to the end before you go on retreat!

I am also getting ready for the forum retreat. I got borders on two of my projects for our show and tell, and cut the pieces for another project. I hope to cut another project today. I have a big cutting table, it is easier to cut big projects here than at the retreat center.

I need one more fabric to finish that project I just cut. Hmmm, to shop here or at Mo Star? What a dilemma! The shop I went to in Illinois had lots of it, but it is kind of far to go for just one fabric.

Hope you have a good and productive day! Or lots of naps, what ever you need!

Comment

Good morning Suzanne and those who follow,

I made up for lost sleep last night! I think I pretty much put my head on the pillow and I was out. Thank goodness I didn't have Praise to the Lord, the Almighty and King of Creation playing on repeat all night again! Poor Jim, he couldn't believe nobody in their small plant didn't know it, or at least they didn't participate in singing it. We'll I made up for it in.

I gathered up my Husky Boy since Mike was off at 1. We took it to the spa, I forgot to take the quilt top to find outer border. I didn't think about that part of the trip until I was in the tub.

Today, I'm going to clean up in the sewing room. I have a bunch of baby fabric that need to be folded and prepared for the next batch of baby quilts. The dining room table needs to be cleaned up, vacuuming, dusting. I never got around to that the other day. I'll be busy. Mike gets off early today, so I'll need to get busy early. No sign of the new neighbor, but the for sale sign is gone fromt he front of the house.

Well, time for coffee. Prayers for those in need, for healing touches, for comfort and peace, for grace and mercy. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Good Morning…there’s nothing like an early start to the day. Thank you, Suzanne. I’m glad to hear some real progress is being made in your bathroom.

The Girls have to be taken to the vet for their dental cleaning this morning. They will be there all day and we will pick them up around 5 pm. They will be two mad little Westies when they come home! How dare we do something like that to them!!

I got very little done around here yesterday. We worked some in the yard. After dinner we got good rain for about an hour. It’s supposed to rain off and on all day today. Maybe we will nap all day while the Girls are gone. It would be a good day for a pot of soup and some homemade bread.

It’s time to get moving. The Girls can’t have anything to eat or drink before their procedure today. It’s going to be a fun morning.

Have a wonderful day everyone. 🐾🐾
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Going to be a hot 90's today but tomorrow a cool 72. Amazing!!
          I have a bunch of blue 5 inch squares that were cut years ago and am making hst's . We'll see what that pattern becomes. I have a few ideas but nothing has grabbed me yet so for now I will just sew and then I'll iron and sort into piles of like fabrics and see what I can come up with.
          The only other house that was really competition to ours is pending. I know there are not a lot of people looking but we will see. Anyone that was looking at their's came here so with 3 showings it is obvious its not a really hot market.
          I've been looking at thrift stores for a better sofa. No luck so far.
          You all have a great day.
          success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
          Terry of NC

Comment

• Bubby
            Bubby commented
            Editing a comment
            Interest rates are shooting up right now. Maybe that’s making potential buyers uncomfortable.

Originally posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
          Good morning -- or should I say good evening night owls. I've been up since 2am -- tossed awhile and decided to finally get up. It's going to be a long day.

The bath reno people have kicked into gear -- Mon, Tues and yesterday - the walls are up, insulated, prepped with waterproof membranes, floor layers of waterproofing ready and has been levelled and drying ready to be tiled today - they think tiling will be done by Friday. Let's hope so. Still lots more to do - bring in cabinet and paint, get custom countertop and glass door/window measured and cut, and plumbing fixtures installed. It's not done yet, but I am leaving Sunday, so I've told them they can't do any work next week. Hubby has not been dealing with the stress of reno very well, and could not do it alone. Since there was a bad smell from cement goop on floors, we (me) slept in spare room. It's only a double bed, and last time hubby & I stayed at a place with double bed, we hung on to each other all night so we wouldn't fall out of bed. He opted to sleep on couch first night, and woke up a wreck. I see he is sleeping in my recliner. Hope he is not too wrecked. He found it too hot in the guest room, maybe that's why I'm not sleeping.

My son came for dinner last evening. He has been spending 4-6 hrs/day at the hospital with his friend. The ,surgeon came by yesterday and said he hopes to operate on Friday to put in the stent, but this could be delayed depending if there is an emergency. She is lucky this is the best neuro-science center in eastern Ontario. He cancelled his trip to Vegas, but his friends sent him pictures. He's been before, but first time for a few of them.

I emptied the bathtub in basement where I store my batting, as they have to repair the ceiling gyprock damaged by plumber. Not sure when this will be done. I have also been cutting fabric for kits for my retreat. I have 5 projects, most are fairly simple, but I won't have a design wall, so that could be an issue. I find it easier to sew especially when I have blocks on point. I'm also bringing scratchy wool to make scrubbies when I want to take a break. Retreat is coming soon -- I can't wait.

Enjoy your day -- I may have to take a nap and catch up on zzzz.
          Suzanne, bring a flannel backed tablecloth and use that as a design wall.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
            Editing a comment
            I was thinking of that. The last time, Dorothy just put her blocks on the bed in the room on the main floor. I have one I can bring. Now if I can focus on starting to pack. Hard to do that when there's workers in my bedroom.

Good morning. We are now back home. We changed our route to come home and hubby was on Marketplace and found a set of coins for only $20, he paid $70 for the same set some time ago. Funny thing, we had to go by Greg's place to get there. He wasn't home though. And then to get to Almonte to pick up my fabric, we had to go back the way we came. I didn't even look at anything else, just pay and pick up. Not sure what the rest of the day will bring. I do work tomorrow.

Have a great day friends.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            Editing a comment
            Les may want to check MaxSold on-line. There are a lot of coins/set being sold for not much.

Hello everyone,

I can't believe it's Thursday already. We're having on and off thunderstorms, and it may sound strange but there's not enough light to get any sewing done. Maybe this afternoon it'll clear up.

Yesterday I made some test squares before quilting the latest project (I'm doing it on the embroidery machine). No matter what I did I couldn't get it to look good on the back. I'm using different colors top and bottom so I expect it won't be perfect, but it was pretty bad. I changed needles, I changed threads, nothing worked. I finally walked away from it because I have only a little more spare fabric. I decided later to switch the bobbin thread one last time, and that's when I figured out that I had threaded the bobbin for embroidery, not sewing. So now I'm ready to go......but the light is awful in that room.

Yesterday I also prepped for some mug rugs I'm making for a celebration...sort of like party favors. They're made from scrap batting and fabrics from past projects. They're ready to quilt and then I'll finish them on the serger. After that it'll be doing some free standing lace for decorations and bookmarks.

We had a dumpster delivered yesterday, so we have a week to get rid of all the junk that has accumulated in a couple of years. Then Monday the repairman will come to fix the stove....one burner won't turn on. It's the one we use the most.

I think I'll grab hubby and go to Walmart and get the things we need. By the time we get back the storms should be over. Then coffee and quilting. Have a great day!!!
          Barbara

Comment

Good Morning
            Real change in seasons. It’s cold, windy & wet. They say we are getting “lake effect “ rain showers. We always get lake effect snow, but never heard of rain expressed this way. I couldn’t get to sleep last night, so sat up for couple extra hours. Woke up at 4 with migraine. I have had a bad run of headaches over the last couple weeks.

This morning I will clean up kitchen & likely do some baking. Colin requested date squares but I just looked & no dates. I don’t feel like going out to the store, so I better make something else. Pulled out Christmas fabrics yesterday, but I have a fall table mat handwork project that I should start first. I also think I should start cleaning all the window interiors before I getting into the next fun project. I do the interiors & Colin does exterior.

Finally had a glass man look at our shower. To fix it properly would be minimum $1500 for a new panel of glass. Thank goodness he was willing to look at other options & has come up with an idea of using l brackets each side of existing panel to hold it in place. It will only be a few hundred for his labour to fix. Might not look as good but will be safe & functional. Hopefully he gets brackets & is able to fix it quickly.

Enjoy your day.

Mary Lynn Ontario Canada

Comment

• grammaterry
              grammaterry commented
              Editing a comment
              If you have some cran/raisens they might substitute for the dates

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              Editing a comment
              Glad the shower glass door has a workable solution. I am just expecting they will have an issue executing the design. There's a sliding glass door, and to the right of it, there's a half wall and a window. They keep trying to get us to put in a swing door, and we keep saying no - not part of design and not functional if you need to roll in a chair.

I just made a long post and have no idea what happened to it. Grandson's quilt is done, 3 more to bind and 5 more to free motion quilt. I will work on those today while puttering around the house waiting for hubby to let me know when he needs help on the house we're working on. Gotta run, I slept in this morning and need to get dressed before my assistance is needed.
            Robin

Comment

Good morning,

It is cloudy here and most likely there will be rain showers today. I have to go the office later today for a couple of hours. Our meeting event at the LQS was educational. The educator had a trunk show with pieces showing the new features and embroidery designs for our machines.

We are keeping watch on the weather reports with the developing storms. A friend is leaving on a cruise and may be re-routed to different ports.

Hope your day is great!
              A bucket of sunshine from the East Coast FL!
              Like sands through the hour glass-sew are the days of our lives!

Comment

Good Morning, Everyone ~ It's a dark morning; I just opened the drapes. First day of Fall. And it feels like it. Only 52* (48 on the computer) this a.m. Our high temp. of 68* was yest. a.m. when we got up; it dropped all day into the 50's. The morning was sort of misty at times. Had rain in the afternoon & all eve. It still was raining when I went to bed. We needed the moisture. We have the thermostat turned up this morning & the furnace is running. The heat feels good!

I had a busy day of errands yest. After Bible study, I made a quick stop at Wendy's for lunch, then I made a run out to Walmart for my Rx & a few items. A stop at Safeway, then Office Depot for a 2023 calendar. The fuji apples at WM were $2.37/lb., much higher than my usual groc. store ($1.79). I refuse to pay that price. I found some gala apples at Safe. for $1.49/lb. In the eve., I went through the new calendar & marked all the birthdays, anniv., etc. I also typed up our piano playing schedule for Bible study for the rest of the year. Another gal & I take turns. We play 2 weeks in a row, then the other person plays for 2 wks.

Suzanne ~ I can sympathize with you & your husb. not handling the stress of the bathroom project. I want to replace the shower in the bsmt. bathroom. It's impossible to scrub off the mildew in the grout. Let's face it, it's 50 y.o. I know it would be a big stresser for DH. I have no clue what the cost would be, but I'm wanting to get an estimate to find out. Hope you get a better night's sleep tonight.

DH has his annual wellness exam this a.m., which he's dreading. He doesn't like having to wear a mask.

Our local, annual Quilt-a-Fair is today, Fri. & Sat. It will be the first one since the pandemic. It's held in the big exhibit bldg. of the co. fairgrounds. I want to make it over there to look. I enjoy seeing people's quilts on display & browsing the many vendors' goods. They come from all around the country to this event. Other years I've found some good bargains on fabric & thread, but I'm really trying to use from my stash, so I doubt if I'll buy much. Admission price has gone up to $10.

The trucks & men already have showed up to work on our street.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  Editing a comment
                  Joy -- when we bought the condo for his son, there was white tiles and grout -- over 50 years old and not in best shape. We had it cleaned off - and brought in a company called Bath fitters. They can do any shape of shower, tub by measuring with a laser. They make an exact replica, and installation is done in one day. Not much of a mess. We even had the ceiling in the bathtub done as it would likely need repainting. Cost was under $4K Cdn. It's been 5 years and no issues. Having his son clean the bathroom and condo, well, that's another story.

Good morning everyone. I did not want to wake up this morning, but since I was meeting a friend to walk I dragged myself out of bed. Stopped at Panera for breakfast. Finished all the mowing last night. Today I will clean the garage. Need to reorganize to fit two cars in there again. Laundry and packing will wrap up the day.

Karen
                Spring, TX

Comment

Back again, I got up a few hours sleep and got up after 7am. Waiting for the tiling crew to arrive, so I went to the bakery and picked up some apple danishes.

It's definitely fall, and I am cold probably 'cause I'm tired. Heavens, I have put on socks -- I usually don't until thanksgiving.

ChillyMorning.jpg
                  Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Mary Lynn
                    Mary Lynn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I put socks on to today!

• JCY
                    JCY commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wore jeans & a long sleeved turtle neck today. Never got above 60* outside. The furnace has run several times.

Good morning! It was 92 yesterday, but much cooler today. It feels so good! It's fall harvest time here. Yesterday, silage chopping and hay rolling were happening at the same time. I was doing the "go-fer" jobs. This morning I've pressure washed two scaffolds and a step ladder. We'll use them to hang quilts tomorrow for a guild quilt exhibit on Saturday. After that, I'm going to concentrate on making quilts for myself and my family instead of quilts that the guild gives to other organizations to donate or raffle off. I guess I'm getting rebellious in my old age. LOL!
                  I'm heading to the sewing room to cut fabric for my next project...a quilt for granddaughter's bed at sub school. Have a great day!

*~* Myrna *~*
                  *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                    Editing a comment
                    I know how you feel. I finish a lot of quilts for cancer patients, but this next upcoming week at retreats, will be all about quilts for my family and myself.
                Working...
                X