• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monique
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

It's Sunday

DAYS TO SPRING: 56 days 5 hours 4 minutes 7 seconds as I write this.

Good morning friends. It's Sunday and yes the cold water froze again. But with the hair dryer in place, it doesn't take long to thaw, just a pain in the butt. But Spring is coming, isn't it?

I don't have to work this week but will be leaving to spend this week helping my DIL. Maizyn will stay with me until Thursday so I can keep an eye on her schoolwork. I am trying to decide if I will take some sewing with me or not. I might take a featherweight with me with some scraps. Hubby isn't coming with me, he will stay to tend to frozen pipes should it happen again.

I will be here when I can, depends on when the kids and I get up. Have a great Sunday. Still no church service allowed here and we don't have it on FB.

be-kind.png
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!
  • grammaterry
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2015

Nothing happening here. DD seems to have covid. Says food is just running thru her. I suggested toast or crackers and maybe tea.
    I sewed strips together yesterday. I'm going to make the orange peel template today I think. Maybe cut out the strips. I'm not as ambitious as Misty. I don't think I will cut the strips the other direction and sew them back. I think the strips on a diagonal will be okay.
    DH just said we will travel on Tuesday. I guess I will get ready. I like to have the house good and clean before leaving.
    success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
    Terry of NC

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
      Nwmnteacher commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sorry your DD has Covid, but on the bright side, now she'll have natural immunity which is the best according to recent studies. I had that particular symptom too Most important is to keep pushing fluids so one doesn't get dehydrated.

• grammaterry
      grammaterry commented
      Editing a comment
      I think this is her second go round. Probably this one is om icron

• vchale
      vchale commented
      Editing a comment
      My brother-in-law had it last winter and just had omicron
  • JulieC
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2016

Good morning!

Cold and snow are the weather words here. We're under a winter weather advisory. The weather service is predicting 3-5" of snow, but I think that's just in the snow belt. The TV guessers are saying 1-3" locally. More snow is on the way for tomorrow.

I finished quilting my Lovey Dovey wallhanging yesterday. I will work on the binding today. I thought for sure I wanted a red binding. I dug out some red strips I bought for a couple of other projects. No, I did not like that at all. On to plan B, or possibly plan C.

I have been trying to resist the siren call of the brown bag mystery Monique mentioned last week. It looks like it would be fun! I'm not sure I can make the time commitment. I really need to start getting Mom's house ready to sell and find my sister a place to live.

I should run up to the grocery store today. I didn't go last week. I am out of a few staples. There is also the usual laundry, etc.

Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      Save your strength for the house prep and sale. I must have missed that. It will surely bring about a lot of emotions.
  • Bubby
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2011

Good Morning, Another typical cold winter morning. It warmed up quite a bit yesterday and should today, too. Jeff plans to do some work on our porch roof today. He said he will probably need my help.

I will bake a batch of brownies this morning for Jeff. I can easily resist them. I intended to bake yesterday but I got busy with laundry and changing our bed. It was also dog laundry day.

Monique, have a great visit with your family. Taking something to sew is a good idea. Featherweights are such good travelers! Check in when you can.

Terry, I hope your DD feels better soon.

Wishing everyone a great day. 💕

sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2012

Good morning! What will today bring? Not sure just yet! I’m not a football fan, so tv is not an option.

My #2 grandson saw the convex illusion quilt I made for Grandson #1’s graduation last May. He put his order in for one like it for his graduation this May. Since picking 8 colors from light to dark is essential to the design, I decided to tale a trip to my one LQS that displays all their wonderful blenders at one end of the store. It is so easy to shop for these colors there, plus they have enthusiastic sales personnel who willingly help. The gal who helped me was great, and I got it done pretty quickly.

F6664C2A-AEE9-49D7-AC05-6F3AF182C21D.jpg where is is gold, the next one will be shades of blue, where the black is will be red, center will be black and white or very dark navy and white.

Last night, our local Arts for Life group announced nominations for the annual performance awards for the year. This past year was a bit thin on numbers of shows that actually happened, but 3 of the 4 shows I worked on were heavily nominated. This happened in the costuming category! Kind of nice!

06138F2A-2A25-454D-90AE-040F794579A8.jpg 51CA1FC3-65F6-41BB-A1D9-EBA792BC2CB5.jpg

Not sure how they will announce the winners. In the past, both groups ( one for musicals, one for non-musicals) had galas that were interesting shows in their own rights. Last year the winners were announced as a zoom show. Hope we can gather this year, but only time will tell if that will happen, darn covid!

Church starts in a few minutes, hope you all have a wonderful day!

Comment

• Dove
        Dove commented
        Editing a comment
        Congratulations, Jean! You work so hard with the productions. It's great that you're being recognized for that!

• grammaterry
        grammaterry commented
        Editing a comment
        Well duh, of course you were nominated in the costume category. Your costumes are terrific

• geegeequilts
        geegeequilts commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats on the nomination! You are awesome! Just think, we can say we knew you before you became a star! Gina
    • Dove
      Missouri Star
      • May 2020

Good morning!
      We've been advised of winter weather again, too. I think Julie and I are in the same weather area. We're supposed to get 2 to 4 today. But temps are in the 20s so that's pretty good.
      I got a text from DD yesterday asking if I could watch her boys for a couple hours Tuesday morning while she goes to an appointment. The kids were with their dad last week and he found out he has covid. So my 3 yr old DGS can't go to daycare till Wednesday and the 2 yr old can't go back till the following Monday. That means DD has to work from home all week with her 2 boys at home! My other daughter volunteered to stay with the boys if needed. I'm just praying the kids will stay healthy. The 3 yr old is the one who had heart surgery as a newborn so he's especially at risk for complications. DGD is in kindergarten and they all have to wear masks at school so she's ok to go.
      I got about half the quilting done on the Hunters Star so far. I'll get more done today. The quilting machine is computer operated and it was doing some weird things, rocking back and forth when the software was turned on. I emailed the manufacturer and they got back to me right away. Their suggestion was very helpful so the issue has been solved. I just love their good customer service!
      Maybe I'll go out and clear a little more snow from the driveway's turn-around pad before we get more snow. I need to clear in front of the mailbox, too.
      Have a happy day!
      ~ Carol from Southwest PA

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Editing a comment
        Be careful when you are around your grandsons. If they did get covid, you don't want to be next.
        What kind of long-arm do you have? It must that time of year for LA to act up. Mine did too -- but I haven't reached out to HQ.

• Dove
        Dove commented
        Editing a comment
        Suzanne, I have a Gammill. I've had it for 10 years now. It sure doesn't seem that long.
    • Ruthie734
      Missouri Star
      • May 2020

Congratulations for the nomination, Jean! You deserve to win! You work so hard on all of those costumes. I can’t wait to see the new quilt you are making from this design. Your first one of this design is amazing!

I'm out of the snow zone this time. It is actually supposed to warm up today and tomorrow. That will be nice. My Yorkies beg to go outside, but I’ve been keeping them in because it’s so cold. They don’t like using the pee pads. When I put their little coats on them to go out it takes longer to dress them than they stay out. Normally they like to run around in the yard and sniff everything.

I’m getting ready to go in the sewing room and finish sewing together the rows on my scrap quilt. I will work on that until church time. I want to have the quilt ready to go to the LQS tomorrow to audition border fabric. I am excited to get it finished. It’s been too long since I finished making a quilt.

Stay warm and safe! Have a wonderful Sunday!

Last edited by Ruthie734; January 23, 2022, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• Anitamae56
        Missouri Star
        • Oct 2014

Congratulations, Jean, you certainly deserve it, you do so much with costuming.

Comment

• Cathy F
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2012

Morning all,

Congratulations Jean on your nominations, well deserved.

It's 18 degrees here this morning but the sun is shining. I have nowhere that I need to be so I have the luxury of staying home. Yesterday was the Kimberbell class at my local quilt shop it was a lot of fun. I think the gift pockets will be like potato chips, can't stop at one. I also picked up the backing for a lap quilt and table runner. Two more unfinished projects will hopefully be called done and put away for my third annual Christmas Market. I hope to have a lot more items made this year so have to start early.

Time to get a move on have a few daily chores to get done. Wishing everyone a good day!

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            Missouri Star
            • Aug 2015

Good morning everyone,

I feel like it's ground hog day movie -- deep freeze cold, sunny -- not going to venture out.

Yesterday -- did diddly squats in the morning. Does these squats count as exercise? Then I went to the basement with ambitions to work on Diamond Dash. Instead, I decided to go through the first drawer of filing cabinet -- organized the supplies I bring to craft shows and tossed a lot of empty pkgs. I also organized some of my oddball tools, for grommets, babyville snaps, some of my dad's small upholtery tools. All neat now and feels good. Then I got into the containers where I store my 5" squares and strips that I cut after I'm done a project. I had been saving some in square store pastry containers, inside another bin. After listening to Karen Brown, I realized these take up more space. So to divide the colours or types, I used cardboard to separate the piles. That got rid of a lot of disposable plastic containers, and things fit better. When I started quilting I would put the leftovers from a quilt in a plastic bag or bin. I went through a few and dealt with them, and pared it down to 1/2 scrapbook bin. Yeah. Then I started working on the diamond dash. The Star wars fabrics are all so busy that mixing them up makes it hard to look at. So I have paired some together where I can so that you see 10" squares instead of 5". I suppose another pattern would have been better. It is what it is. I want it done now, and given to step-son. Still no news from him -- whether they are resuming filming on the next Mandalorian film -- they put things on hold for 14 days, so he was stuck in LA.

We ordered out last night -- philly steaks from local restaurant. I am sick of cooking and even though I have freezer meals, I want something different.

Today will be a sewing day and one to take it easy. Stay safe and stay warm.

241155606_398751184945971_7314976542596142615_n.jpg
            Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
              Nwmnteacher commented
              Editing a comment
              I love your cartoon, Suzanne.
          • Ginny B
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2012

Good morning. Sunny but cold day here. Yesterday hubby and I cleaned out the "short" closet in our bedroom (built in to the low pitched part of the room. Taller than a crawlspace but not tall enough to stand up in). One bag of trash and a lot added to the donate pile later and it is nice and organized in there now and even with some open space. Of course we don't see how neat it is with the doors shut, but I can "feel" how much better it is when I am in the room.I

The we moved on to making the new soup recipe with the barley and red lentils. It came out pretty good. Dh said it's a keeper. I am not crazy about lentil soup but combined with the barley, it was pretty good.

Then in the evening, while hubby was watching his movie on MeTV, I settled in with my laptop and headphones and watched a few episodes of Downton Abbey and worked on my cross stitch project.

Today is Charlie's day to visit with his uncle so the day is all mine. Uncle Frankie is doing well. The doctor is happy with how his foot is healing. There will probably be another surgery needed down the road a bit. I guess he is going to need to be in the rehab for quite a while yet. Dh and his brother are starting to try to figure out what the options are after this if he can't go back to living on his own again.

Monique, have a safe trip and a good visit and I hope Les doesn't have to deal with any frozen pipes.

Have a good everyone. Stay warm and cozy.

Ginny B
            Levittown, NY

Comment

• Rhonda K
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2017

Good morning,

A damp and chilly morning here. Temps are dropping and supposed to be in 30's by morning. I'm kicking the weather person to the curb. How can they say that to us? Football games were fun last night. I think the roof is a bit higher this morning. DH and I were both screaming to help send the ball over the line. LOL. We'll see what happens with the games today. Happy to see a mix-up of teams but no special favorites this year.

I will start a hooded towel embroidery project today. There were no pink towels to be found last week so a cream color will do. It's for a little girl turning 2 this month. I'll add a little quilt for her dolls too.

Hope your day is warm and cozy!
              Just one more stitch...

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
                Missouri Star
                • Mar 2014

Good morning everyone,

-8* this morning with a wind chill advisory of -40* We joke that our weather keeps the "riffraff" out!

We got home from the trip to Sioux Falls, SD last evening. The funeral was done beautifully, but the 6 hour drive there and back were both awful! On the way down we had 30 mph winds which blew snow and caused 1/4 mile visibility much of the way. The first hour was on a 2 lane road, so no passing at all. The next 5 hours were on a 4 lane, but we couldn't see who or what was ahead of us due to the blowing snow. I had to watch and warn DH if there was a vehicle ahead of us because we were afraid of rear ending someone. On the way home, not quite as bad, but this time we had snow. The left lane was completely covered for much of the way, so again, no passing. If you got too close to the car ahead, you couldn't see because of the snow blowing up from behind them. It's never felt so good to be home as it did when we pulled into the driveway last night. If you've never driven through ND and SD in bad winter weather, take it off your "bucket list"!

It really was a beautiful funeral if there is such a thing. The pastor was amazing. I'd like to get a link to their church and see if they have their services online. Even my 14 yo grandson told his dad that he wished they had a pastor like him at their church! Everything was planned so well and flowed seamlessly. DH said he thought he knew his brother, but learned so much more about him from his business partners, church leaders, and friends there. His little brother was highly respected and loved by so many. He was a leader in both business and their church. It was really nice to visit with family, some we don't see very often. Isn't that the way it is....funerals and weddings bring family together.

Unpacking is on the agenda for today, and hopefully some time in the sewing room. Supper will be potato hotdish....sliced up potatoes, hamburger, minestrone and cream of chicken soups. Comfort food.

Comment

• grammaterry
                  grammaterry commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I laughed at your keeping the riffraff out. Those temps should do it.

• Nwmnteacher
                  Nwmnteacher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Barb, I love it when I quilter's lifetime of work is shared.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  Editing a comment
                  It's so nice that he had a beautiful send-off, it makes it easier for many of the relatives and friends attending to inspire them in their own lives.
                  Certainly white knuckle driving -- I used to hate going somewhere in snow storms. Now I avoid if at all possible. Happy to hear you made it home safely.
              • KarenC
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2015

Good morning my friends. I made it here before noon. I spent most of the day yesterday either reading or sewing. I was able to complete 30 scrappy 4.5 inch squares. I made one sample block but am still deciding whether I like the size or not. It is currently a 9 inch block, but I think I may like it smaller. We shall see. Today I will read some more of my library book and stitch up some more scrappy squares. I'll need to give more thought to cutting up scraps into standard sizes, but I know if I do that, I won't be able to use this random approach to scrappy quilts that I am currently doing.
                Karen
                Spring, TX

Comment

Working...
                X