Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad News

Good morning friends,

I am awake early...exhausted, yet can't sleep. My stepdad passed away suddenly yesterday. He had just turned 92 before Christmas. He was in excellent health, at least that we knew about. He got a virus of some sort. He tested negative for Covid several times, so it wasn't that. Several people in his care home got the same thing.

He was feeling a bit better after a few days, but then he started having difficulty breathing. With his Alzheimer's he was confused and wouldn't keep the oxygen on. As I was leaving for work yesterday I received a call from his care home asking if I wanted him sent to hospital. The ambulance took 1.5 hours to arrive, with the staff shortages right now. Doctors at hospital said his heart rate was erratic and oxygen levels low. They gave him oxygen, meds, antibiotics and paddled his heart, but there was nothing they could do. Very shortly after he was gone. We didn't get to see him.

My husband took me to tell mama. It was a shock for her, but she did well last night. I spent the day and evening with her. I did a rapid test before I went. It was negative. I wore my N95 mask and a surgical mask. I will go back today. We made some calls to immediate families last night already.

We are both very grateful to have had a wonderful Christmas together with him. This was our last visit with him and a fond memory forever. Mama and I sang the song he always sang over and over, a brightly sung German song. We both cried, but it also brought a fond memory of us singing together whenever I took him to visit her.

He was an absolutely wonderful man...couldn't find better. A gentle, extremely positive soul with a hearty laugh and love of joking around. In my over 50 years of knowing him, I have never seen him angry or complain. He hated complaining. He loved peace, music, the outdoors, and people. He was very much loved and will be deeply missed by all who knew him. He already is.

In times like these it makes me realize what's important in life...family and loved ones. It's a time to reflect and have gratitude for what and who we have in our lives. I wish you all peace, love and joy with your dearest and good health for a very long time.
    Hike ~ BC, Canada

Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

So sorry for your loss. It sounds like he had a long wonderful life

Comment

So very sorry for your loss.
      Kathy

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is when things go so suddenly wrong. I never got to see Howard after he boarded the ambulance. It's a horrid feeling of helplessness.

Peace be with you and your family. Find comfort and support from your wonderful memories. Again, I'm so sorry.
        Katrina
        From NC, retired in FL
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

So sorry to hear this very sad news. Prayers for peace at his passing for you and the family.
          Carlie

Comment

Heike, I’m so terribly sorry to hear that your step-dad has passed. It sounds like you have a lifetime of loving memories of him and he was a blessing to you and your Mom. My prayers are with you and your family. Hugs….
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

So sorry for your loss. May Our Lord bring healing peace to you and your family.

Comment

So sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to take comfort from all your good memories with him.

Comment

I’m so sorry for your loss. How nice that you will have good memories of your last Christmas together, as well as all the other good memories.

Comment

Peace in your heart is wished and how lucky you were to have a step father that you loved and gave you such good roll model for positiveness. He has gone to watch over your mom and you and you will feel his presence for a long time.
                    success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                    Terry of NC

Comment

Heike,

My deepest sympathy to you and your family. These special men touch our souls forever. May he sing his song with the angels above now. Your memories are a beautiful reflection on his life and may they bring comfort on your hearts. Caring thoughts and love.
                      A bucket of sunshine from the East Coast FL!
                      Like sands through the hour glass-sew are the days of our lives!

Comment

Thank you for sharing your sweet memories with us. I'm so sorry for ypur loss.
                        Sandy in CO

Comment

Heike, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved step-dad. I can hear the pain you are feeling in your words. They also convey what a wonderful man he was. We are so blessed when we have someone like that in our lives but with that comes a deep wound to our heart when they leave us. Keep singing his song.
                          Ginny B
                          Levittown, NY

Comment

So sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was such a blessing to all who were close with him. Hugs and prayers for your mom and you.
                            ~ Carol from Southwest PA

Comment

Heike, so sorry, for your loss, you have such wonderful memories of him.

Comment

Working...
                              X