Grrr! Navigating the Insurance Broker & Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grrr! Navigating the Insurance Broker & Plan

For several days, as I've had time, I've been reading up on prescription plans. After our deductible & monthly premiums kept going up with our current Humana plan, I wanted to find a less expensive plan. DH is an IBM retiree, & we have to go through an insurance broker exchange & select from the plans offered there in order to get partial reimbursement up to a certain limit each year. The research is very time consuming. I called Aetna this a.m. to inquire about their Rx plan. After I talked to 3 different people & was on hold for almost 30 min., I didn't get the answers from them, except that I had to go through ins. broker. So back to the web site I went. Earlier this a.m. I had not been able to get back to the cart in order to check out. This time, I was able to navigate the site & get through the process. Finally! Now we are signed up for a different plan for next year! What hoops we have to jump through to work through the system. So relieved that is done. The clock is ticking down to Dec. 7, the deadline for making any changes in plans. We will save a lot of $ just with the lower premiums. There is no way DH could have done this. He has nothing to do with the computer, & with his hearing loss, it's very difficult for him to converse on the phone. I had to take over handling the insurance several years ago when he became unable to do it. I wanted to find better coverage for a dental plan (that would be in network with our dentist). Even though I could find better coverage, the higher premiums are not worth changing.

Now maybe I can settle on getting something else accomplished -- like sewing. This is a load off my back.

I always find the health insurance tasks so mind boggling. It was so much easier when just working. I have until the end of the month to decide whether to take cobra for my dental insurance.
    Karen
    Spring, TX

Comment

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      I talked to my dentist's office to determine which plans they accept so we'd be "in network". The other options either are not on our ins. exchange, or the Cigna plans, which have better coverage, have a higher monthly premium than what we have. For now, I'll stick with our Met Life plan. As seniors, our dentist does give us a 5% discount for cash as well as a 5% senior discount, which helps.

Insurance has become a nightmare! I'm glad you found something!
    Katrina
    From NC, retired in FL
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

A friend of mine called Medicare and they apparently have people who will search options for you for secondary insurances. If anyone is interested, I can ask her for more info.
      I'm a vet, so I didn't have to go through this when I turned 65. In order to keep my Tricare I had to get Medicare Part B.

Comment

Joy, I am glad you were able to muddle through and find what you were looking for.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Joy, I'm glad you were able to find a plan that will work for you. I remember your pain, though -- a few years ago, Dad's one retirement system decided to cut costs and were no longer going to cover spouses. I had to research and pick a new plan for Mom. I ended up staying with her current insurer because her doctors were in their network. It was a lot of work and I had to suffer through an hour-long appointment with a representative from the exchange. I am not looking forward to going through that when it is my turn!

Comment

I’m so thankful we don’t have to do this every year. We get a pretty good insurance that doesn’t cost us an arm and a leg through my husbands retirement program. It was enough for us to wade through everything when he retired to set up Medicare…….thankful yours is done and your happy with your choice.
            💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

• JCY
              JCY commented
              Editing a comment
              Anita ~ Normally, we don't have to do this every year; if you don't want to make any changes, things just automatically renew. But... we wanted to change the Rx plans this year, thus all the research & work to get it done. I'm just glad it done!

As a Federal employee, I can continue to carry my same health insurance into retirement. Of course, there are dozens of options to research just for that. DH is a couple of years older than me, and he is an analyst, so he did exhaustive research before signing up for Medicare. When it got to be my turn, all the work was done. I got my Medicare card in the mail a couple of weeks ago. Boy, did that make me feel old!

Comment

Glad it worked out…your time, though exhaustive, was well spent.
              "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
              X