It's Thursday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Thursday

Good morning friends. Well we are getting closer to vacation, one day at a time, LOL!!

When I took hubby to town yesterday morning, I treated myself to breakfast. I knew the people sitting at the next table and heard them talk about my good friend Dottie. Seems she had a stroke last week. It has affected just her speech. I spoke with her daughter yesterday. She is still in hospital but I sent along my get well wishes as I probably won't be able to see her until we get back. I also heard my sister-in-law was released from hospital and staying with one of her sons. On my way out at lunch I passed a pharmacy that is also linked to the one in town here. Well I stopped in to see if they could access my file from my regular pharmacy and they could, so I was able to pick up the last of my pills I want to take with me. My hip is acting up once again so I am thankful I got that prescription refilled.

I spoke to my cousin in Fredericton and reserved our bed there, haha. We will spend a couple of days with her. I haven't seen her in 2 years. It will be nice to catch up. We are/were working on the family tree together, that is how I found her many years ago.

Last night my neighbour came over to borrow some 'nice' clothes. We are the same size and we found an outfit that suited. She is having a baby shower on Saturday for her daughter. She is also the one who checks on the house while we are away.

I looked over my suitcase and added a few items. I was going to downsize but that plan didn't work out, lol!! But the blankets and towels also fit in there, so now the suitcase is bulging. The kitchen bin is packed properly and ready to go. I will add a few more items in the grocery box and then it will be ready to go.

Today I am meeting with my boss for lunch. I am looking forward to that.

Well that's it for me. Have a wonderful day everyone. Remember to be kind, safe and stay healthy.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Got my migrating butterfly quilt sandwiched yesterday and then I made the placemats for my new friend that asked me to make the table runner a month or so ago. There was material left over and she suggested that it would be nice to have placemats. ha ha. She doesn't sew. Said she wanted to pay me but I would rather she didn't. I don't think she realizes how long it takes and the amount she will offer would probably be almost insulting. Sometimes its just nicer to gift my labor than be paid less than its worth.
    It was really hot yesterday with humidity. DH didnt' even want to go fishing. I thought hot on the water would be more fun than hot on the porch. ha ha
    I looked up the definition of UJI on my phone. It is a city in Japan, also some Hindu guy but the japanese translation of the uncapitolized word is maggot. I am adding an F to the front which means gift from GOD. MUch more appropriate and he doesn't seem to notice.
    He went outside yesterday without his harness and did great but he didn't want to come back in. I'm going to go walk him this morning with the harness and maybe this afternoon let him wander by himself.
    I saw the big owl yesterday up in the tree. The way the neighbors described him I thought he was a lot bigger. He's plenty big but just not the size they let me believe, although...he was high in the tree. Maybe it was an illusion...they have seen him hopping on their yards.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Comment

• K. McEuen
      K. McEuen commented
      Editing a comment
      Be careful letting the cat out alone with an owl around. My sister's big white goose was killed by one when it tried to carry it away. Goose was too heavy so her neck but oke.

Good morning Monique and all! Monique, you are getting so close to being ready to go! You will shoot out of the house so fast on you departure day!

I took my trip to Illinois to pick up my finished quilts. Normally it is a straight shot on the interstate. Not so much now! The interstate is closed near the turn off to the town where this business is located. So there is a detour on 2 lane roads to get around that. I get so confused by the roads in Illinois, they go north and south, then east and west, and very little signage anywhere! I signed up for a two day longarm seminar in September over there. I need to plot a different course because I need to be there early in the morning, so no time for detours! At least I had a nice scenic trip home to avoid a 3 mile backup on the route home!

I wasn’t looking at my phone all afternoon, but when I looked last night there was a text from my youngest “ I have some sad news”. What? And you didn’t tell me more? She texted me back. Their oldest dog had to be put to sleep yesterday. He was 13 and having lots of issues, I was afraid that was what was the sad news. They had many dogs and cats over the years. Now they are down to two dogs and one foster cat. She said one of the remaining dogs was looking for his buddy yesterday. At least he has his sister for company. I guess is it won’t be long before a new pup will find a home with them!

Nothing much on the calendar for today. Either today or tomorrow I need to pick up my live sale order, another adventure dodging orange cones on the interstate! I will start on binding my quilts I just had quilted.

Hope you all have a great day!

Comment

Morning all ☀️

So happy for you Monique, not much longer and you’ll be down the road and havin a grand time!
      Terry, I like FUGI much better….no one wants to be a “maggot!”
      Jean, we have so many detours here….our roads our a grid system. For what ever reason when they do 1 north south road, they do them all….so never ever a good way around. And most of the time the detours have detours!

My everyone is busy, and so am I. There’s always the battle of the lawn and weeds…..weeds are winning, but I’m determined! We’ve had some car issues that DH is taking care of. So thankful he knows cars. So much cheaper.

It’s been super hot and humid, then we had some rain and it’s cooled a bit…..only to rain some more and ramp up into the 90’s this weekend. That’s summer ☀️. Our veggies are very happy. Growing well and lots of green veggies…. Can’t wait for them all to ripen 🍅 🥒

Hope everyone has a most blessed and safe day. 💕💕
      💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

Good morning. The sun is shining nicely this morning and it would be a good day to head to the beach but we have doctors appointments this morning to go over the results of all the tests he had us do over the last couple months. I am concerned about hubby's calcium ct score #'s. And they saw some nodules on my thyroid. Fingers crossed both those issues just need monitoring.

Hubby had a nice time with his buddies yesterday but my get together last evening was rescheduled to sometime in September. But, if things go as we hope, we may be away then.

I spent some fun time in my sewing room and got two more secret santa gifts done. It felt great to have hours in there just communing with my fabric and machines.

Time to have some breakfast and get ready to go. Monique, sounds like everything is falling into place for your trip. Woohoo. Terry, yup, I like Fugi better too.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
        Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          Ginny, Good luck with your appointments today. 🌸

• TMP
          TMP commented
          Editing a comment
          Praying you both get good reports from your doctors.

Good morning

Didn’t get quilt loaded yesterday as I found out by backing wasn’t wide enough. I pieced the sides & got everything pressed. I spent an hour trimming frayed threads from top. I had thrown this top into my cupboard several months ago. I guess being handled roughly made the fraying a problem. Since there is a lot of plain cream fabric in the top, I knew I had to trim the threads or they would show through. Today I will load it & hopefully make a start. Colin has left this morning on a delivery. Likely won’t be home till early afternoon so I have a few hours to make progress.

My granddaughter texted last night that she is working in town today & tomorrow, so she will be here for dinner & then spend the night. I will have to leave time in my day to prepare something good for dinner.

Monique enjoy your holiday. I would love to be going with you.

Enjoy your day & stay safe.

Comment

• TMP
          TMP commented
          Editing a comment
          I think trimming stray strings is my least favorite thing to do with a quilt, but it sure is worth it. Enjoy your time with your granddaughter.

Good Morning. I slept like a log last night. I feel like I could sleep all day.

Monique, before you know it you will be on the road to PEI!

Yesterday my quilter called to tell me that she is just getting over the Delta variant. She and her DH had Covid in November. They are fully vaccinated and yet she caught the variant. She said that the variant was harder for her than Covid 19! I will wait two weeks or so before I go to pick up my quilts. Stay safe everyone and remember that Delta is more contagious than the original virus. Our area is one of the Hot Spots for contagion right now.

Jeff’s brother was released to come home yesterday just two days after hip replacement. I hope he gets along okay and has a speedy recovery so he can go fishing.

Terry, I think Fuji is a nicer name. He sounds like a good boy and good company for you.
        I agree with you that it’s often better to donate your time than to be insulted by an offer of payment that’s insulting.

Have a good day everyone. 🌸🐝
        Last edited by Bubby; July 22, 2021, 06:08 AM.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• TMP
          TMP commented
          Editing a comment
          I am fully vaccinated and the Delta variant scares me. People say you are fine if your fully vaccinated then I have heard of several people getting the Delta variant that are vaccinated. I'm not wearing a mask but I do use tons of hand sanitizer.

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          No vaccine is 100% effective. One may still get the virus, but just have a lighter case. This is true of all vaccines, not just the COVID vax.

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Yest. I started washing the bedding, which I do each summer. It takes a while to get through all the bedding. Yest. was 8 fleece throws. Today I'll strip my bed, wash the matt. pad, matt. cover, & as much bedding as I can get done in a day.

I attempted more FMQ. For some reason, it won't FMQ in all directions. I can do a straight line in 1 direction. So frustrating.

Our prev. pastor's wife came through her brain surgery okay yest. Too soon to know how improved her vision will be. She might get to come home from the hosp. on Sat.

On Tues. there was rain in the mts. W. of Ft. Collins in the Cameron Peak burn scar area. It was enough rain that it caused flooding in Poudre Canyon. All that black stuff, logs, etc. washed into the river causing flooding. At least 5 homes/cabins were destroyed & washed down river. One woman is dead & 3 others are missing. Canyon residents & campers had only moments to evacuate. The search continues today. I-70 on the western slope has had periods of mud slides washing over the fwy. from a burn scar area there. The road closures really hamper traffic, as that is the main east/west route across CO.

Terry - I also like Fuji much better. I think there is a Mt. Fuji in Japan.

Comment

• grammaterry
          grammaterry commented
          Editing a comment
          Joy, I was having trouble a couple of years ago when the thread would break if I changed direction with FMQ. I found that it was when I was making a curve. My hands were not coordinating with the speed.
          The moon here was bright orange from the fires last night. I know this is a scary time for you

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          The burn scar areas are from last year's wildfires, both here & on I-70. There is no vegetation to stop the run-off when it rains. The Poudre River, usually crystal clear, is running black. I'm sure there will be fish kill. Engineers will have to check the integrity of some of the bridges. There still is a big jam of logs & debris from the washed away houses stacked up that needs to be cleared out. Parts of the river now are closed to rafting, fishing, etc. The hwy. was temp. closed yest. Hwy. 14 runs up through Poudre Canyon, over Cameron Pass to the mtn. town of Walden. It's a beautiful drive. One summer when DS#1 was practicing driving, he & I took a meander up there for him to practice his driving. Our family has picnicked along that river is years past.

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          Terry ~ It's not a thread breakage problem. It's a stitch problem. I keep adjusting the tension, re-threading, etc. So far, nothing has fixed it.

Good morning all,
        It's a week of getting up early, but not required today, It's my free day -- haha -- that just means I have chores and visits to do.
        Monique -- I would so love to pack myself in your bags -- make a detour here, and I'll be ready to go. I promise I won't take much space. haha

Yesterday I went to my daughter to cut up vegetables for the kids to munch on -- fresh peppers, carrots, celery. I didn't get to do the melons as I had to get to my hair appt. Boy it feels good. While I had cut my hair during the latest lockdown, I don't have the thinning scissors, and if I did I wouldn't trust anyone to do it in the back. It felt great, and after that I didn't feel like doing yardwork or physical stuff. I went to the cool basement and quilted 3 rows of the VQC top on the LA. I had one more row to go, when I got a call from my gf across the street. She asked me to join them, as my DH was already on the patio sharing drinks. I brought over a bottle of cold Sangria and we spent a lovely 2-3 hrs on the patio. The weather was perfect -- no humidity, no bugs. I would love a summer like this.

Today, I hope to finish the last row of quilt on LA. I need to make sucre à crème to bring tomorrow for my gf's visit with her cousin & wife. They are here from Lethbridge, Alberta, and we always meet them for lunch and visit when they rent a cottage. His wife's mom and family are here, so they visit. I will also visit mom and bring her outside if the weather is not too sticky. I need to do quick clean up around the house, possible a load of laundry.

Enjoy your day. Hugs across the miles, as we all could use some once in awhile.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• grammaterry
          grammaterry commented
          Editing a comment
          what is this sucre a creme? I translate cream sugar???

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
          Editing a comment
          Its the most decadent French-Canadian recipe for fudge. Not really fudge -- more like a sugar pie taste but consistency of fudge. So delicious. I would send you some but suspect the customs people would confiscate for themselves.

Good Morning All

Its good to be home . Kaylee and I got back Tuesday and picked up Sandy from the vet. We had a heck of time going down to the beach, the traffic was horrible bumper to bumper and rain. The first night there I lost my glasses that I keep in the car for driving. Its rough driving in the rain without glasses. I wasn't sure what I was going to do maybe find one of those places that can make you a new pair while you wait. We search the car inside and out in between the seats, everywhere. The next day we went over a bump and Kaylee says Grandmommy, Your glasses are in the floor! YA!! We stayed one night in a motel and the 2 nights with my son.
        We made it in time to go with Jeff to the walk thru of his house they bought. It walking distance to the bay in Fairhope. They aren't moving in right away they want to do some cosmetic things and have some yard work done. He wants to have a generator put in so when they are without power he can still do radio from home. Kaylee and I got school clothes for her at the outlets. She has grown a lot and since she was home for school for a year she had bought very few new things. We ate seafood every chance we had and was it so good and fresh. Today I am going to get her little brother who hates to shop and just he and I will have a grandmother day . I am not sure what we will do. He said can we eat at 5 guys? I said what ever you want to do. He is 8 and it doesn't take a lot to make him happy.

Have a good Thursday!
        Teresa

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Editing a comment
          Your son will not regret getting a generator. It's peace of mind.

• grammaterry
          grammaterry commented
          Editing a comment
          So glad you found your glasses. I fear that as I just cannot read the road signs without them plus I get a little nauseated with eye strain. I hate this old eye syndrom. I am considering caterac surgery

Morning friends!

I found a backing for my Disappearing Nine Patch last night, so it's been ordered. I worked some on the Morris quilt yesterday doing the Friendship Star block. I need four more and then the block work will be done. Next will be cutting strips of various lengths and widths and putting them with the blocks.

Cheryl finished the rework on her Morningstar quilt last night. We're going to wait until I get the Morris quilt finished and then send them both to M* to be quilted. Cheryl wants to take it to the August guild meeting for Show and Tell before we send them off.

No soup or grilling last night. It was much too hot for either. We ended up ordering from the neighborhood Subway. Maybe Friday.

Our next want is a new yard barn. Our current one has definitely seen better days. It's done it's job well, but we need a new one. We currently have an 8x10, but I want a 10x12. I want something big enough that we can put stuff from the sewing room in there and gain some room inside. The place we are going with is the only local builder around. It will likely be September before they will get around to us. The same guy who builds it will also tear the old one down and haul it away (for an extra fee, of course). After that we need to shut down the money spigot.

Not much else to report. I have to work today and then am off tomorrow. I am trying to see if I can get someone to work for me the Saturday after this one so I could have four days off in a row.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Rob
        So rather than practice makes perfect, I encourage you to think practice makes better.
        Quilts and More Magazine Summer 2021

Comment

• grammaterry
          grammaterry commented
          Editing a comment
          We helped our DD learn to build an outdoor shed. The hard part, according to DH is getting the floor level and square. He showed her how to build a wall and then we left her to it. She did a fabulous job and learned a lot plus the confidence was outstanding. Even with high lumber prices, she saved a ton of $$$.

Good morning,

Monique, Enjoy your vacation. It sounds like you are ready to roll right out of there.

It's finally a day without appointments or household chores to do. I may try to tackle my shopping list and get that done for the weekend. Then I'll have 3 days to play and sew. Little Man and I had a fun visit with our friend. He opened his birthday presents and had fun playing while we visited. It's always nice to check in on friends and see how they are doing.

Hope your day is great!

Comment

• TMP
          TMP commented
          Editing a comment
          Fire ants are horrible little creatures. You have to keep after them to get rid of them. I have seen huge mounds of them when we lived in Mississippi. We have them here also but not as bad as there. Lowes or Home Depot has bait that you can put on the mounds. I can't remember the brand but it works well.

• TMP
          TMP commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh sorry I posted in the wrong spot.

I came back again. I was outside with FUJI and I got him one of those retractable leashes for his harness. We walked, he climbed trees , it was great. Then I thought, humm, I could probably weed my flower garden while he layed in the grass and wandered. I went and got some gloves and began getting the crabgrass out of the big bed. Oh it looks so nice. Then, all of a sudden, My whole body started stinging...no, I didnt see a thing. The two of us ran up the stairs and I shed my clothing and got in the shower. I lathered up, I shampooed my hair then I shampooed my whole body, still stinging....Got out and applied benedryl itch cream...still stinging. I went out on the porch fearing chiggers because they make days of itching and burning. Welts all over my arms and legs. DH asked where I was and I told him the front flower beds...he just calmly told me that it was fire ants. I insisted I didn't see any critters...He said, fire ants.
        Now its been a couple of hours and the stinging has stopped but still have a few welts.
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

• jjkaiser
          jjkaiser commented
          Editing a comment
          We went camping many years ago. Arrived kind of late at campground so it was just getting dark when we put up our tent. We unknowingly set it up on top of a fire ant hill and boy did we vacate when we crawled into our sleeping bags! Drove to nearest town to find a motel. There were several and this was back when not all motels had cable TV. My husb sent me into the motel ofc to ask if they had cable bc the World Series was on. We didn't find one until the third one. What a night.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Editing a comment
          Oh I would hate that. I hate having the regulars in the house -- drives me nuts. I don't think I know what fire ants are. Although when we went to NB a few years ago, the hotel staff advised us to be careful on the paths and avoid the beach as they were covered in fire ants.

• grammaterry
          grammaterry commented
          Editing a comment
          they are so very tiny you might not even see them but when they bite it burns .

Morning all,

Just finished up with most of my chores, not sure what the rest of the day holds but it will be a laid back one. Will bake some brownies later that my husband will take to my granddaughter. My husband and son are leaving for S. Carolina tomorrow morning for a week's visit. My granddaughter bought a condo down there as a vacation rental and her dad and my husband will be taking care of a few changes she wants to make.

I have a whole week of sewing time, and no cooking, yea me! Last night I made zucchini boats for dinner, they were very good so I'm glad we had some leftovers for tonight. The zucchini is being picked faster than I can cook it. 😊 May have to make some zucchini bread for the freezer.

Hoping my fabric arrives for the Halloween placemats so I can start them next week.

Monique, have a great vacation!
        Ginny, hope you both get good test results.
        Terry, like that you changed his name to Fuji.

Wishing everyone a good day!
        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• jjkaiser
          jjkaiser commented
          Editing a comment
          Rob there is something seriously wrong with you that you don't like zucchini bread and if I remember correctly you hate bananas and banana bread also! Maybe sweets are just not your thing lol!!!

• Cathy F
          Cathy F commented
          Editing a comment
          You've peaked my curiosity with the zucchini pie. Do you have a recipe you'd be willing to share? I Googled it but most all the recipes are for a savory pie. One did come up for a sweet pie with a custard filling that they said was similar to sugar pie, which I've never heard of either.

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          Zucchini boats and bread sound delicious. I need to bake some zucchini bread for our freezer and for friends across the road. He has been bringing us bags of homegrown tomatoes and squash. We share a lot of food back and forth.

Good Morning All,

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. I'm sure it's hot outside, if not yet, it will be soon. lol

Yesterday I just sat. Mercy, I was tired. The week at the beach was so much fun. One of our cohorts had to leave during the week, her father had to have blockages in his leg removed. Her plans were, there for the surgery day, make sure he was doing well and then come back. Well, needless to say, it didn't go that way. Surgery went well, and they sent him home. Next morning, he was unresponsive so Christie called the ambulance and back to the hospital they went. Dad had to stay three days, so while he was 'trapped' she put her kids on Grandpa duty and she came back to the beach once she knew he was stable. The dr that did the surgery has him going to rehab, then assisted living. Christie had a couple of days to breathe before going back to deal with paperwork, getting her dad's house ready to sell, and making arrangements for assisted living. It wasn't much of a vaca for her. Her principal even called wanting a new banner for the front of the school. The three other teachers all yelled at her. Learn this powerful little two letter word NO. There is enough on her plate, with her mom on Long Island, her dad in the condition he's in, she doesn't need to spend her summer making stuff for school that she won't be compensated for.

Cecelia left on Sunday after Mass. Melinda stayed here. We went through my stash. Between what she bought and what I gave her, she filled a 20x20x20 box. It was nice seeing some of the fabrics I had left over and wasn't sure what to do with, go where they'll be used. There were a bunch of orphan blocks, too. She pulled a bunch of batiks out, and started on a crazy quilt. She started with a strip of red and teal on each of 121 of M* 10" paper squares I had stashed in a drawer. I had a bunch of little pinwheels, made 4 patches with 2 1/2" squares, 4 patches with 3 1/4" squares, and cut numerous strips! She's got the papers and everything is started. Now she's probably sewing away in her sewing room.

I bought enough navy to make 2 of Jenny's last triple play strip quilt. I bought two jelly rolls of Uncorked. The navy looks beautiful with all of those colors. I'm about ready to start, but not quite ready to pull things out again.

I hope everyone had a great week last week. Things will start getting back to normal around here. Guttering was put up Tuesday, that's another job done. Now to think about calling the guys about the well. Wonder what the HOA will say about that! lol, I'm not asking! If they want grass without weeds, they'll need to be watered more often, and I don't want to pay Jax for the water and sewer for water not going down the sewer.

Have a great day! It's time for me to finish putting the chairs back under the table since the vacumming is done. Prayers for those in need, for healing touches, and prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          In this dry climate, if we want a green, we have to water it. The city switched to a tiered billing system a few years ago. I.e., the more water you use, the higher the cost! We spend hundreds of dollars each year on water. People who have irrigation ditch rights are lucky. Katrina ~ Use your well without guilt.

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          Water is very expensive here. We have rural water that comes from a public well. Our lawn is about 5 acres or so. Watering it is out of the question. I notice a considerable increase just watering the flowers and filling the Girls’ little swimming pool. I try to use their old pool water on the flowers when possible.
      Working...
      X