Welcome Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome Monday

I am up at this ungodly hour because my back is very sore and I am sitting here with a heat sac on my back. I have been redoing my sewing room. OH MY Lord, what a job!! The 6ft table is out, the 4ft table is in. I find this one will go higher than my other one, so I swapped them out. And it doesn't seem as sturdy as the other one. I have emptied small containers into a plastic units with drawers. My bookcase fell apart on Saturday so I found a piece of wood in the shed, sawed it two where it needed to be and proceeded to secure my bookcase, all good now. I have purged some stuff as well. It is a work in progress for sure. I put together the shelf unit I bought. I think this is where my back went out.

Hubby is gone on a fishing trip, thankfully, because he wouldn't be able to get to the bedroom, LOL!! I have stuff all over. So I really need my back to feel better so I can continue with the room. I am trying to make better use of the space I have.

And PLEASE don't let me buy any more fabric, just slap me silly.

Ok time to try and get more sleep. Have a great day everyone. Be kind, be safe and stay healthy.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Wow, Monique, you are truly an early bird today! I am sorry to hear about your back hurting! That seems to come with the territory of redoing a sewing room! We work until we drop!

I have been awake since midnight. No aches or pains, just awake. Hopefully I can get to sleep soon because I have a busy day ahead.

Yesterday, I attended the last performance of our show “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying”. The cast was very sharp for their last performance, and it is a very entertaining show anyway. But the best part was that I got to see a dear friend who lost her husband to COVID right before Christmas. This was the first time I saw her since he passed. We had FB messaged after he passed, his death was quite sudden after he got the virus. She shared the things that they experienced during his short stay in the hospital. At first she wasn’t allowed to be with him, then he suffered a stroke, so they let her come in. Thank heaven he didn’t die alone! This couple had just been married about 3 years, they reconnected after years of knowing each other, he had lost his first wife several years before. They had been music educators during their active work lives. After his death, the accolades and remembrances from his former students just kept coming forward on FB, he had impacted so many lives! She was unable to hold a fully attended funeral, but they were able to live stream it from the church. Typical of her husband’s abilities, he actually played at his own funeral through music they recorded previously! I said, that’s what I want to do! She said she wanted to hold a memorial service for him once venues open up, I told her she would need an arena to hold all their friends who would want to attend! They are/were very cherished people to many of us in this neck of the woods!

Got my stinky costumes to deal with. I will take the dry cleanable up today, and start the laundry this morning. My washer is on tender hooks right now, doesn’t want to complete a whole cycle without resetting it. So it will have to be babied along to get this job done!

More costume building today, hopefully we can get close to finishing this set.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; May 3, 2021, 02:31 AM.

Comment

I am up also I have been up since after 1 am. Its hot here. The air conditioner is working but not blowing cold air.

Kaylee spent the entire weekend with me or shall I say in the bedroom watching tv and playing on her phone and talking to her friends. She only came out when she was hungry, then right back in. Amanda won't let her do that. She makes her put up her devices and participate with the family. Its been a rough year being stuck inside for her and virtual school. I don't think a weekend of doing what she wants is going to hurt her, although I do miss time with her.

Gave the loud chicken dog toy to Duke (Amanda's dog). Sandy is scarred to death of it. We named it Demon Chicken. She would cower and move away from it. Strange for a lab who isn't afraid of anything.

Have a great day,
      Teresa

Comment

• quiltingaway
        quiltingaway commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh lord our dog has one of those loud chicken toys. I've stepped on it in the middle of the night before.

• Ruthie734
        Ruthie734 commented
        Editing a comment
        My little Yorkie loves his chicken toy! It is really loud and almost as big as he is. He squeezes it until I nearly lose my mind!

Good morning!

It is going to be a wet day here, with a high around 70. I have to work on site today. I hope I get a decent parking spot and don't get soaked on my way into the building. I think they mentioned in the last town hall that yes, they will be opening up the other parking lots next month. I should double-check with the boss, though -- that could be my wishful thinking! My cane is in the car, and my trusty wheeled case is ready to go. It is so much easier to maneuver with the cane than trying to carry purse, lunch, and everything else.

I also had a restless night's sleep. I was up every hour. I hate when that happens! And working on campus today there is no chance of a nap. I have to leave a little early, too, to gas up the car. I heard on the news there could be a gas shortage this summer. All I could think of was the shortage in the 70's. I remember my older family members could only go up to the gas station on certain days, depending on whether their license plate was odd or even. Here's hoping it won't be that bad.

I did not do any sewing over the weekend. I need to get started on the appliqué for Mom's pillow. Mother's Day is right around the corner.

Monique: I am with you on the fabric situation. When I first started quilting, there was a story about a family that opened a fabric shop to sell their loved one's fabric after they passed. My sister glowered at me and told me I was not allowed to accumulate that much. I am not there yet, but I tease her that is my goal. 😁 Seriously, though, I really need to stop! Here's a link to the article: https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/magaz...ly-opens-store.

Time to get ready for work. Have a wonderful day!
      Last edited by JulieC; May 3, 2021, 04:49 AM.

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow. I don’t think I’d ever have that much but if Dave were gone I just might. Dave has said that it I pass away first he will just toss the fabric. I told him no way. First offer to our daughter and granddaughters. What they don’t want should go to the quilt guild at the church. Throw away material! God forbid.

• nativetexan
        nativetexan commented
        Editing a comment
        OH I remember long lines galore at gas stations. 70's? Way back then. I was on the bus then, didn't drive. Goodness time flies.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember reading that article. Lordy Lordy -- what was she thinking. At least her family had the right idea to sell it at least to folks who were probably grateful for such a good deal.

Good morning all 🌸

Oh Monique, how awful for you. I’ll be praying for you to feel better. Nothing worse than back pain….I’ve been there, many times 💗
      Happy though you’ve made progress in your sewing room. and sorry I just can’t slap you silly if you buy or think of buying more fabric ……I’m in the same boat. I have too much to use up before I die. But I’m going to try 🤪

Well the sun and heat came for the weekend. Yesterday it was 86’ 🌡 wow ‼️It was warm in the house. I didn’t get much sewing done. I only have the borders, but one is fussy. I want it to be just so so.

Hope everyone has a and peaceful day. Love and hugs all around with prayers for many 🙏💗💗
      💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

Good Morning. We had a nice Sunday. Little wind and warm temps. Today will be cloudy. I volunteered at the Cafe yesterday. We had a lot of orders. I did not make any mistakes. Last Sunday I forgot to add the shot of espresso to someones latte. Luckily she came back so we could remake her drink. I thought that there was too much foam when I handed it to her.

Monique hope your back feels better. I was going down our stairs yesterday and missed the bottom step and fell. Luckily I just seemed to lightly sprain my left ankle. I find that rubbing Arnica on bruises really helps them heal faster. I was distracted by a toy the pug left in the hallway.

I was able to sew quite a few quilt blocks together on Saturday. This will end up being a larger quilt than I thought. It will def. fit my queen bed.

Have a great day.
        Beth

Comment

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          Beth, I use arnica, too. I hope your ankle heals quickly. 🌸

• Ruthie734
          Ruthie734 commented
          Editing a comment
          What is arnica? I’ve never heard of it.

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Sorry you night owls are having sleeping problems. I had a much better night's sleep last night. The temp. was cooler (50's) & no skunk odor.

It's raining steadily this a.m. & is expected to rain much of the day. Free watering of the lawn. Yest. we had a mix of sun, then dark clouds, rain mixed with small hail, wind, lightning & thunder. Our high temp. was 74, but most of the day it was in the 60's. A pleasant relief from the heat of the day before.

I spent the morning yest. making the chicken soup. I ended up with 16 qts. I'm always relieved when that job is done. I took it easy the rest of the day.

Monique ~ Hope your back feels better soon. You might try ice instead of heat. It seems to help calm down the inflammation better than heat, although heat always feels good.

I have at least 2 loads of laundry waiting to be done. I need to work on my Bible study lesson. This week will be our last Zoom discussion group of the year; next week we will have a sharing day -- in person! -- at the church -- wearing masks & social distancing.

Maybe you saw it on the national news -- a 39 y.o. woman in SW CO, near Durango, was killed by a bear last week. She was out walking her dog & failed to return home. They found her body. A mother bear & her 2 cubs were euthanized.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Comment

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          I hadn’t heard about the bear attack. How tragic.

• Jean Sewing Machine
          Jean Sewing Machine commented
          Editing a comment
          That bear story is so scary! Black bears are making their homes in Missouri near where I used to live. I was always afraid of an encounter with one when I lived in the country. I really have a fear of them!

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          We have bears and mountain lions in our area!

Good Morning All,

It was a nice Sunday... cloudy, so it didn't get nearly as hot as the guessers said it would. The humidity made up for it.

Church was cool. The pastor is going to extend his sermons on missions by one week. He decided Mother's day wasn't a good day to start a series on Judgement and Hell. That brought on a round of laughter!

I got a second SS project started. Mike's off today, so I'm not sure if I'll get to work on it today or not. We'll see. While I was looking for the white on white fabric, I found fabric for another project. A trip to Joanns is in order for findings. We'll see if we head that way.

We are going to stop at the place that tinted Mike's car windows today. They also do regular windows. I'm going to have the sliding glass doors tinted. They south facing, the afternoons are so bright and hot. If we get the ceramic coated tint, it will save the carpet and keep the AC from working so hard in the afternoons (not by much, but any help would be a good thing). lol, he asked how dark I wanted it- really dark. I guess he'll see the lights right out back and figure that out! Mike's thinking the same tinting as the car, I'm thinking darker! Of course I could shut the curtains, but that means opening the curtains everytime Gabby wants to go out.

Mike wants to recycle the oil from the last oil change, too. Other than those two trips, I'm not sure of anything else that needs to be done, other than laundry, that is.

Guess it's time to get busy. Prayers for those in need and prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
          Jean Sewing Machine commented
          Editing a comment
          Love the pastor’s sense of humor! I laughed out loud when I read that!

• KarenC
          KarenC commented
          Editing a comment
          Tinting that sliding glass door should help your utility Bill too

Good morning,

Yes, another Monday in sight. I am having lunch with two dear sewing friends. One is a true sister, We discovered that we share the same middle name. One of the instructors at the LQS calls us twins, We've often made class projects with the same fabrics. LOL!

I'm a restless stitcher right now. I started an embroidery project with 75 steps and was soon discovered the idea wasn't working out. It was the wrong background fabric for the project. Abandoned at step #14. Today is another day and another project.

Monique, I hope you get some relief from the back pain. You have been so busy with the sewing room re-do.

Better get started with the day. Laundry is spinning through the washer and the dryer is almost finished. Happy Monday!

Comment

Morning friends!

My, how times have changed. When I was a single young man I would dream about beautiful young women at the drop of a hat. Last night I had a dream about buying fabric and an antique sewing kit. That has to be a sign that I'm definitely in too deep. All told, I spent $78 dream dollars, so I guess I got a good deal!

Lack of sleep was not a problem for me yesterday or last night. I guess my garden work took more out of me than I anticipated. I usually wake up when Cheryl does, although I don't actually get up until about a half hour later unless I can't sleep. This time I didn't wake up until just a few minutes before she left for work.

I think we are reevaluating our plans in regards to our niece's wedding. She is having the whole big deal, dinner included. Although I figured since we were both fully vaccinated we should be fine, I have a nagging voice inside my head telling me to be careful. The venue is only a few hours away, but if we stayed for the dinner I thought it would make more sense to get a room and spend the night.

After talking about it, I think we will drive there that morning and then leave immediately after the ceremony and just skip the dinner and reception. That way we save the cost of a hotel room and don't put ourselves at any greater risk than we need to. I don't think Cheryl's brother will care, and I doubt our niece will remember.

We will still have to board Patsy for the weekend, but that's not a big deal. I will need to call the vet today and get her booked.

Not much else to report. Hope all have a great day! More rain is forecast for us tonight, including a chance of some severe weather. Hope everyone stays safe!

Rob
          If you like a fabric, buy a yard. If you LOVE a fabric, buy three!
          Anna Bates
          "Quilt Roadies"

Comment

• Star lover
            Star lover commented
            Editing a comment
            Had to laugh at your dream dollars…..🤪

• JCY
            JCY commented
            Editing a comment
            Rob ~ Listen to that still small voice & play it safe with the wedding event. Better to be safe than sorry.

Good Morning....I didn’t sleep well last night again. I think I fell asleep around 4am. Jeff didn’t go hunting today. He wants to continue staining the house.

Yesterday I finished the blocks for the Prairie Flower quilt. It has too much green for my liking and not enough print options. I think it may end up being a throw. This was not a fun project for me.

Monique, I should be doing the same thing in the sewing room. Every time I organize things I realize that my real issue is a lack of space. I told Jeff last night that we need to add on a room for quilt storage.

We have a quilt missing. It’s the D9P that is the first M* tutorial I tried. It was made with some of the first precuts I ever bought. It has to be around here somewhere. It’s probably squished between two larger quilts wherever it is. It’s not my favorite quilt but it has sentimental value. Jeff and I looked for it for over an hour last night. Surely that doesn’t mean we have too many quilts, right?

Have a great Monday everyone. 💝

sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Bubby
            Bubby commented
            Editing a comment
            Mystery solved! The quilt turned up in the guest room closet. It was folded neatly and minding its own business!

• Nwmnteacher
            Nwmnteacher commented
            Editing a comment
            Speaking of needing more quilting space, I'm in the process of switching around all three bedrooms, including fresh paint in all three. I had sewing supplies and machines in all three rooms, so DH and I decided to turn our bedroom, which is the largest, into the sewing room. We are moving into the middle sized room, which used to be our daughter's, and the smallest room, which used to be the sewing room, will become the guest room. I didn't realize how much fabric I had!!!

• JCY
            JCY commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry you're not enjoying your Prairie Flower project. I made mine using Eleanor Burns' fabrics, Forever Love. I custom quilted it. I thought I'd never get that thing quilted. I'm pleased with how it turned out, but it was a lot of work. It's the largest quilt I've done on my table LA. I'm sure yours will be lovely once it's done. Don't be hard on yourself.

Good morning everyone,

Looks like it is going to be a rainy off and on kind of day today. That is good for the grass and plants. I have two bushes under my front window that did not survive the winter. I am thinking of putting a couple of knock-out roses in place of them.

Yesterday my quilt guild had their meeting in person. There is a large pavilion behind the church and we met there. There was a strong breeze the whole time which was very nice considering temps were in the 80's. It was the first time we have met face to face since October of last year.

Wednesday I am signed up for a class on quilting with rulers on your DSM. I have wanted to do this for awhile now. Time will tell how successful this will be. Thursday is lunch with my retired teacher friends. Looking forward to that.

Still working on the village quilt and I have to do the binding on the quilt for my guild's challenge. It must be finished for the next face to face meeting in June.

Not much else going on around here. Be safe and healthy.

Nancy

Comment

Good morning all,

Yesterday was a little stressful with my knee issue but we have a nice visit with Jennifer and Chuck. Natalie got some nice presents and we had a great lunch. My desserts turned out okay but if I make the strawberry one again I need to make a couple of changes.

I talked with the on call doctor yesterday about what was going on with my knee. He eliminated major issues like infection and blood clots and recommended cold packs. Jennifer also suggested I take 2 Tylenol and 3 ibuprofen. She said her doctor recommended taking this when she was having severe pain from her shoulder. You can’t take it more than 3 times. I only took 2 ibuprofen with the Tylenol and by the time we got home from their house my knee seemed to be doing better. I have been doing cold packs every couple of hours too. I slept much better last night and this morning it seems to be doing much better than yesterday. I got groceries this morning and was concerned that the walking might make things wise, it didn’t. In fact I think it helped a little. So my plans today is to walk a little, cold packs every couple of hours and I will take some pain relievers as well. Hopefully it will be be a little better tomorrow.

I may go up to the sewing room tonight depending on how my knee does. Otherwise it is going to be a pretty slow day.

Hope everyone has a great day!
            Carlie

Comment

• JCY
              JCY commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn't recommend that much OTC med. all at the same time. I think it would be better to alternate every 2-3 hrs. taking one med., then the other. I've observed that Ibuprofen definitely helps, but I have to avoid it most of the time due to reflux. It's also hard on the GI tract; long term use can cause a GI bleed, as do some arthritis meds. Years ago, my MIL got a bleeding ulcer from her arthritis med. I think she was taking Feldene. Make sure you always take Ibuprofen with food or milk, never on an empty
              stomach.

• MSN
              MSN commented
              Editing a comment
              Carlie, do you have any issues with your kidneys? If so, be very cautious about taking ibuprofen or other NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).

• CarlieBlilie
              CarlieBlilie commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I do have some kidney issues but I have consulted with my doctor on taking NSAIDS. He actually prescribed some for me when I had an accident a little over a year ago. When I reminded him that he told me not to take them he said I can take them for a very short period of time. I only took the ibuprofen on Sunday and Monday and only 2 tablets twice each day. Doing much better now. I am still icing the knee to help it along.

BRRR. Cold again this morning in Wyoming. 37 degrees F. We did get rain though which is wonderful. I ate something yesterday at church that didn't agree with my tummy so I am taking it easy for a while and cross stitiching. I have 31 entries ready for the county fair. I still need to make 2 aprons and a tote. I will see how I feel later. The tote won't take too long to do--I hope. LOL I also have a jelly roll quilt to make for my great niece's HS graduation, but that will wait a couple of months.

Have a great day.

Retha

Comment

• Retha
              Retha commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Rhonda! It is sew much fun to get them all done and ready.

• MSN
              MSN commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm impressed that you have so many items ready for entry in the fair. When is your county fair? Mine was cancelled last year, and I can't find any information about 2021.

• Retha
              Retha commented
              Editing a comment
              MSN, I just saw your question. Our fair this year is the first week in August. I normally work all year on getting my entries ready. Especially my cross stitch. My sewing I start in Jan. but getting Covid in Jan. and through Feb. has thrown me a bit behind. I will do my baking a few days before the fair. Ours didn't get canceled last year. If it would have been I would have been able to enter my entries this year.

My dogs woke me up at 4:20 this morning. I took them out then fed them and went back to bed. They snuggled in and slept until 100 and so did I! I can’t remember when I last slept that late. I was so tired after a weekend of working in the yard. I trimmed weeds and sprayed grass killer all around the house and fences. I still have to do that around the garage next weekend. I am so thankful for my Gator so I can ride to do the spraying. My arms are so sore I can barely feed myself! I have to vacuum and mop the kitchen floor today and then I can sew for a while. I’m looking forward to that. I hope all of you early birds can sleep better tonight.

Comment

• Star lover
              Star lover commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m so sorry Ruthie….I had a chuckle at your mention of arms so sore you couldn’t feed yourself……lousy way to loose weight….but funny too 🍽
          Working...
          X