Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Senior Moments πŸ•°

5ABCF699-16E5-4CD1-90C2-973D7244E845.jpeg

I loved the sewing class….hated the fabric my mom bought from the rock bottom sale bin….it was unbelievably ugly!
    Hope everyone has a great weekend πŸ’—πŸŒΈβ˜€οΈπŸŒΌπŸŒΊ
    πŸ’« Anita......Star lover❣️

We took this in senior year. The sewing was a breeze for me,cooking, not so much!

Comment

• JavaJunky
      JavaJunky commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. Loved the sewing but not the cooking.

• BethB
      BethB commented
      Editing a comment
      I had home ec in junior high school. We made an apron and I finished that and made a blouse. Never wore the blouse because I never got around to putting button holes in it. I may have taken home ec as an elective in high school, I don't remember, exactly.

Nancy

Yes, we made dishes to be cooked but never got to actually do the cooking ourselves. I took a class making things from clay and did leather key "wallets". also took modeling class. learned how to walk, turn, pose, sit, etc. I sometimes wish the weather girls and women hosts of shows had taken the last class. Sheesh.

Comment

Oh my gosh!! I made a telephone pillow in Home Ec. It was cringey. No wonder it got tossed.

Since you have a blast from the past thread, here's some outfits my mom sewed for me on her Bernina. The clown outfit, the Christmas outfit, and the other everyday outfits. This is at Gomper's in Phoenix, about 1972-1973. Wish I'd had the forethought to hang on to the outfits.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Yes I remember those days well. We made a clothing bag in ours.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I made a mint green gored skirt with a zipper. It was dreadful.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I remember the Santa red wide wale corduroy bell bottoms i made in Hom Ec. Ours was in Jr High. i chose bell bottoms because the schools finally relaxed the dress code and girls could wear pants to school. If i listen closely, i can still hear the sound of grating fabric as my pant legs rubbed on themselves as i walked the corridors between classes.

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
              CarlieBlilie commented
              Editing a comment
              Wide wale, does that ever bring back memories!

• BethB
              BethB commented
              Editing a comment
              When we were newly married ... a century ago ..., I made myself a pair of pants using brown wide wale corduroy. I forgot ... didn't realize ... that there was a directional grain to corduroy. My husband called them my "two-tone pants" and he never let me forget it. LOL

Nancy

That picture looks just like my classroom did. My mother made me take Home Ec in my senior year. I liked the teacher and the cooking, but not the sewing. I really didn’t like the housekeeping stuff. I liked books and reading. When I got married, I had to learn how to cook and keep house.

Comment

I remember "trying" to sew an apron and had tons of problems. Glad I had my grandmother to help me afterwards when I started making my own clothes after Dave and I got married. Needed something to keep me occupied as he was working nights and we lived too far away from my parents to go visit. I also remember a homework assignment to make baking powder biscuits at home. Dreadful! They looked nice but tasted like....PRETZELS! I added baking soda instead of baking powder. My dad was great about it and said they were good. I was just plain embarrassed.
              Carlie

Comment

• srgreene
                srgreene commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh me too. When my son was 7 or 8 i made the awful blunder of using soda not powder. Years and years later, i still get grief about that one. Even though my biscuits now are legendary.

• CarlieBlilie
                CarlieBlilie commented
                Editing a comment
                My biggest blunder was when I made lasagna when we were first married. Mind you I didn’t have a recipe, doing it how we had made it at home. Put it in the table and Dave and I were eating and I said β€œThere is something wrong with this”. Dave said it tasted fine. Then I realized, I made the sauce and it turned out great, except I forgot the meat. I told him and he has never let me forget it. Every time we have lasagna he always reminds me of the first time I made it for him. 🀣. My lasagna is a family favorite now. We always have it at Thanksgiving.

Had to laugh when I saw that picture. The high school I was in senior year didn't have any stoves or ovens in it yet. So all year long we just sewed and the only new thing I learned was how to knit! I so needed to learn how to cook. Poor husband had to be a guinnea pig. Good thing he was in the service when we married cause he was used to bad chow to begin with!
              No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
              Aesop

Comment

I actually bought the fabric to my first home ec sewing project in Hamilton, MO. We were visiting my grandmother and remembered I needed it for school the next day. It was a gored skirt......peach......so not my color!

Comment

I still have the scissors my mom bought for me for Home Ec. I'm sure they sacrificed to buy them out of their meager income. I no longer use them, but I did for many years & now keep them as a memory. I remember making a gathered skirt with a waist band. I wore it often. I learned to sew on my mom's treadle machine. I don't remember what kind of machines we used in class. My mom passed down to me her silver thimble which I frequently use. It's probably an antique.

Comment

I loved home ec class-both the sewing and cooking parts. I actually did some sewing-made several 3 piece (jacket, skirt/pants) sets for my English teacher and sewing instructor was so impressed I made a couple for her-that was my class project. Needless to say I aced that course.
                    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

We had home ec in Junior High; you could take it as an elective in High School. I took cooking in 7th grade, and sewing in 8th grade. My mom and I picked out a lime green and hot pink calico fabric (don't judge; it was the '60s, LOL!) and a pattern for a shift-style dress with short puffed sleeves. Sadly, I left the sleeve pieces on the bus during a Biology field trip to the Nature Center (guessing I remember the place so clearly because of the disastrous loss). My longsuffering teacher, Mrs. O'Shaughnessy, made some armhole facings from leftover fabric, so I could still wear the dress in the mandatory year-end fashion show. Needless to say, that was one very ugly dress. Pretty sure I never wore it after the show. And didn't sew again for years.

Comment

My first high school home ec class.... Sewing... I was sick and missed the first 2 weeks. I joined in after all the basic instructions and the making of the gym bag and apron. They were making wrap around skirts. I was told to buy 100% cotton. I went shopping alone, as my mama worked, not that she sewed on a machine anyways and just did some hand mending. I came back with what I later learned was flannel!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Between my non existent sewing skills and this poor choice of fabric it turned into a mess that I never wore once. I didn't sew for another 15 years after that! My cooking section I excelled in though. 😊
                        Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Working...
                        X