Grey hair- purple shampoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grey hair- purple shampoo

I have used shimmering lights purple shampoo in the past and gotten decent results. now nothing different happens. anyone recommend a good shampoo to take out brassiness, yellowing streaks? I'm tired of looking drab!! there are so many helpful shampoos out there to choose from.
    we have Well water here too. doesn't help at all.
    Last edited by nativetexan; April 9, 2021, 06:17 AM.

Idk! I went to the drugstore the other day for some conditioner and there were like 50 brands! I picked out some coconut thing for $8.99 and was not very impressed but it smelled good. My hair was still pretty frizzy after using it and Wisconsin is not a humid state either.

Edit: When I had highlights I used John Frieda Sheer Blonde Shampoo and it was great. It really brightened my hair up. You might want to look for that? They might have different ones for diff hair colors.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; April 8, 2021, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I'll be keeping on eye on this post as I could also use the same advice.
      Maria

Comment

Found this online ...

Healthline's picks of the best shampoos for gray hair
        • Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo. ...
        • Sachajuan Silver Shampoo. ...
        • Philip Kingsley Pure Silver Shampoo. ...
        • Matrix Total Results So Silver Shampoo. ...
        • L'anza Healing ColorCare Silver Brightening Shampoo. ...
        • Drybar Blonde Ale Brightening Shampoo. ...
        • Amika Bust Your Brass Cool Blonde Shampoo.

And this,

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty...ilver-shampoo/

I'm partial to Pantene products so i maybe would try this one,

https://pantene.com/en-us/product/si...hoCEjYQAvD_BwE

My mom used to use a temporary rinse on her hair, Fanci-ful brand, White Minx color. It was purple when it came out of the bottle. On the bottle it said use half a bottle. Well, you know the little blue haired ladies? Mom was a little purple haired lady. Turns out all she needed was a small amount in the palm of her hand, at most, a tablespoon. Rubbed it through her wet hair and it kept her grey shiny and it's true color, not yellow at all, between shampoos.

Also, you said the shampoo that has worked before for you now does nothing. You should change your shampoo every few months, especially when that happens or use a clarifying shampoo a few times to clean any build up from your hair.

Last edited by K. McEuen; April 8, 2021, 10:17 PM.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

• nativetexan
          nativetexan commented
          Editing a comment
          Use Half a bottle in the directions? wow, someone had fun putting that in the directions! I do use a clarifying shampoo too. right now I am just dull white with yellow streaks. should be all white!!

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember Fanciful bottles at Grandma Phillips house. She wasn't part of the blue/ purple brigade, but her hair was always pretty.

Mine is getting brassy blonde towards the ends. It is frustrating.

• 201 Treadler
          201 Treadler commented
          Editing a comment
          Have used Philip Kingsley shampoo and conditioner, the one with yellow writing on, it was fabulous, hair felt great did not knot easily as does with other brands, head also felt less itchy, but was so expensive for the amount, so used it sparingly. perhaps if win lottery will buy another bottle. the elasticiers great.

If they have Walgreens where you live, they sell shampoo for gray hair that I used to buy for the man I worked with!! He was too embarrassed to buy it himself! It was on one of the lower shelves and was in a big bottle, bigger than normal sized shampoo.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I've been switching between Shimmering Lights and Matrix So Silver with really good results. BUT once for the non purple shampoo I bought some Moroccan Gold shampoo, for moisture. It started turning my hair that champagne gold color popular for cars in to 90s. My hair stylist had a fit, laughing so much.
          Diana Grey

Comment

You will need to use a de-mineralizer treatment to remove them from your hair. The minerals from well water coat the hair so the other products don't work as well. Do you have sulfur in your water?

My stylist did a treatment each month when we had well water. Even with a softener the minerals build up in our hair.

Comment

I have been fighting that problem for years. Purple shampoo helps but nothing is perfect. Be sure to use products that are alcohol free. I have only had my hair cut once during the last year [until this week] and the oldest, longest hair was the most yellow. I put the purple shampoo on that hair and let it sit for a short while before my shower/shampoo. It did help but wasn't a true cure. White Minx Fanciful rinse does help but a little goes a long way, I am a touch lavender this week.😁
              My hairdresser said it is environmental pollution so I expect it to be a forever battle.IMG_0074.jpgSorry about the no make up after exercise look.

Comment

• Maria Sews
                Maria Sews commented
                Editing a comment
                Your hair is lovely!

• grammaterry
                grammaterry commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, you are beautiful and your hair is so pretty

you look great!!! my hair used to be a lovely white. well i ordered one of the one's listed. will let you know how it goes!!
              me with white hair long, long ago me with glasses.jpg
              Last edited by nativetexan; April 9, 2021, 01:19 PM.

Comment

I did a little bit of research and found that this one came with great reviews:

milk_shake Silver Shampoo

I use the milk_shake leave-in conditioner all the time and love it so I think I will look for the shampoo at the salon where I buy the conditioner and, hopefully, they will have it as well.

Maria

Comment

• nativetexan
                  nativetexan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  thanks, i wrote it on my list!

I find that if I use a curling iron or flat iron the heat causes yellow

Comment

My personal experience....I have used Redken Color Extend Blondage for about 1 1/2 years now with great results. My natural hair is a dirty ash brown/blonde with brassy undertones. I was really tired of spending $$$ for highlights only to have them fade or turn brassy after about 2 weeks. I use the shampoo, & conditioner daily. Once a week, I use a tea tree shampoo (Trader Joes) for clarifying and follow-up with the Redken Color Extend Blondage Mask. This process has worked well for me...my stylist says I probably don't need highlights anymore as the "routine" brings out the natural blonde in my hair. BTW, I too have well water.

Comment

Just checked my bottle. Fantastic Blond Violet Shampoo from Fantastic Sams (chain salon.) Leave on for 5 minutes. I only use about a 1/2 tablespoon twice a month on my short-ish hair and it keeps the yellow away.

Comment

great advice ladies. I've been using one from Walmart called Juirmak Silver brightening and it helps a little . For frizzy I love REWIND 6. Not gummy and a jar lasts a year
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

update- i got some Aveda shampoo and used it two days ago. when still wet, yellow streaks still visible, dried it looked a bit softer. Curled it a bit and fluffed it and looked. much better. softer, not so glaring in the yellow bits. i like it so far. hoping for a bit more improvement but this is nicer than it was. so I'm happy!!

Comment

Working...
                        X