It’s Tuesday Tacos anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s Tuesday Tacos anyone?

Hi folks! We are due for some awesome beautiful weather today. High in the 60s! Wow!

I took my Trip Around the World yesterday and I am 3/4 of the way home! Loving this method of putting it together as shown by Donna Jordan. She chain pieces the whole thing ( one quarter of the quilt) in rows then sews the rows together. It works great to keep you on target to sew the right blocks together in the right order for the pattern to follow. I am enjoying the process! I have 3 of the 4 quarters finished. It’s going to end up pretty big.

Thanks to a good job of looking on line that one of our friends found the link to POWER CUTTING, which was the technique I used to cut my squares for this quilt. I remembered the technique not what it was called. It is a great technique for cutting strips and squares.

Hope you all have a great day!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; February 23, 2021, 06:12 AM.

When you posted about your Around the World "trip" yesterday, I just had to run over to Donna Jordan's place and have a look see. I must say that is really really interesting the way she puts that together. Make me want to give it a try. I can't wait to see yours Jean.
    Now I'm off to find the "Power Cutting" link.

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
      Jean Sewing Machine commented
      Editing a comment
      https://youtu.be/uADVcwXkbig

This is the link that I watched that explains it completely. She shows about folding your fabric first before she gets into cutting, so you need to watch for a bit before the cutting starts!

• TMP
      TMP commented
      Editing a comment
      Enjoyed the video. Amazing how fast and accurate she cut those strips.

Good morming all. Busy day yesterday catching up with laundry. I didn't get into the sewing room at all but I did get the bunnies mailed that I worked on getting done on Sunday. They should get to California by Thursday. Fingers crossed.

Today I will be heading to Hobby Lobby for some minky for a few baby blankets I've got in the works. I will probably wander about and look at all the pretty fabric for a bit and see what else might want to come home with me.

Jean. I am going to go check out Donna Jordan's Trip around the World video and the power cutting.

Have a good day all.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Dang, you are fast! I managed. To sew together about 6 blocks yesterday. My sister said these are colors her DD likes, so it will most likely be her wedding gift. That means I need to get busy. I have a baby quilt I need to make for next week, and the wedding is in 6 weeks.

well it is time to leave to meet my friend for our walk in the park. She has so much more energy than me, but I will keep trying to keep up. Gotta go. Have a good day

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
        Editing a comment
        Chain piecing! It gets the job done!

Good morning friends. I am back!! I couldn't wait until 5pm Friday night so we could head out. We really surprised Phil Friday night. He had no idea we were coming. My oldest was already there so I kept him posted about where we were. On Saturday I got what was needed to make his favorite foods, shepherd's pie and scalloped potatoes. When my granddaughter arrived a little after lunch, she and I headed out. Value Village, but sadly no featherweights were found. Maizyn did find 2 necklaces she wanted, a few tops and 2 books. Saturday's birthday dinner was delicious along with birthday cake. After the clean up, we play a game called telestrations. OH MY, did we have a lot of laughs. Even Maizyn played. We had such a wonderful time.

Sunday, hubby thought we should have our own mini vacation, so we went to Kingston and stayed in our favorite hotel. We had a wonderful dinner out. On our way home yesterday I stopped at my favorite quilt store and bought fabric for Maizyn's wolf quilt. Her fabric was 25% off and I had $25 off with customer rewards. So I am happy we stopped. I did laundry when I got home.

I have this week off but boy March is busy. I am now booked for the whole month, 3 different post offices.

I think today I will take out the quilt that I was asked to repair and try and get that done today and out of the way.

Have a great day everyone. Be kind and stay safe.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Mimi_Howard
        Mimi_Howard commented
        Editing a comment
        I looked up the game and went to amazon to put it on my "later list". Definitely find it cheaper elsewhere but I use Amazon as my wish list holder for holiday gifts. Son and his crew will definitely be getting this as a "family gift" this year.

• Bubby
        Bubby commented
        Editing a comment
        Monique....it sounds like you had a great time with your family! Welcome back...we saved your spot for you.

Good Morning All,
      Tacos sound good. Maybe a trip to Cantina Louie later is in order. They have a fajita (steak, chicken and shrimp) that will last me for several lunches.

The filter light on the refrigerator came on sometime in late December/ early January. The change filter light finally came on this morning. Mike changed it right before he left for work. It just dropped the last ice so the first time it ran was just a minute ago. It popped, Gabby jumped and started barking like she'd never heard the icemaker fill up before.

Yesterday I worked on the jelly roll rug. I stitched the binding on with the machine. My poor Husky didn't like that at all. I managed to get half of the binding stitched down before my wrists and thumbs said no more. I'm going to try to get that finished today.

Mike and I took two boxes to the Salvation Army yesterday. I can actually reach the microwave without having to stretch now. No excuses to opening the drawers to put in the towels or slide in the air fryer now. I'm glad to get rid of that stuff before the kids came home.

Time to finish my Bible Study homework. I read the lesson yesterday, but I had a hard time staying focused. We'll see how I do with the writtern part today.

Have a great day!
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
        Rob the HOAQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I might just make tacos tonight. We use no salt tortilla chips along with hamburger meat with no salt taco seasoning, along with a low-sodium salsa. Despite all the no-salt stuff, they taste pretty good.

Rob

• TMP
        TMP commented
        Editing a comment
        So odd your talking about Fajitas, I bought the ingredients yesterday to make them. We must all be in tuned here.

• Nwmnteacher
        Nwmnteacher commented
        Editing a comment
        We're having taco salad tonight.

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Jean, you sure are the Sewing Machine! You've really been cranking out the quilts lately. And what is it about tacos on Tuesday?

Yest. was PT, followed by a trip to the groc. store & the bakery. I had planned to buy Chipotle's lunch (next door to the bakery), but while I was buying my bread, one of the Chipotle's employees came over carrying 2 bag of burritos which she gave to the bakery. Apparently, when orders get messed up or people don't show up for their orders, they sometimes bring them over to the bakery for them to eat & share with their customers. The gal asked me if I wanted a burrito & what flavor. I said sure! She found one marked chicken, but she said what was in it would be a surprise. So I got a free lunch.

We had a balmy day yest. Unusually warm, actually. It warmed up quickly in the morning. By noon, our thermometer read 70 deg. Didn't stay there long; it was mostly in the 60's the rest of the day with a Chinook wind. A real snow eater. Most of the piles of snow are gone. It's supposed to be in the 50's today, then cold again on Wed., with snow late in the day & into Thurs. a.m. Maybe 2" of snow are expected here.

I talked to my niece in TN last eve. People in that area are much more lax about wearing masks & social distancing. People still are flocking to the shows & entertainment venues in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg areas. She mentioned she'd seen a facebook posting about my niece Linda with the cancer. This is the 3rd anniv. of her battle with cancer. She's doing some better. Still doing chemo.

DH has another dental appt. today; this one is for routine cleaning. I need to make a run to Walmart this afternoon for an Rx & a few things. Time to get on with my day.

Comment

• Navy Wife
        Navy Wife commented
        Editing a comment
        Your niece is right about Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg and masks. Most of the people there are from somewhere else, so they don't really care. The natives are just trying to make a living. The rest of us avoid the place! I really miss going over to shop, but I'm not going near there without a hazmat suit!

• Jean Sewing Machine
        Editing a comment
        Joy, I don’t know how these things start, but somebody always is mentioning Taco Tuesday and getting my mouth watering for some good Mexican food!

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        My niece works the phone & computer to book reservations to those entertainment venues. She said it was busy over the President's Day Weekend. But even locally, at her church, people are not wearing their masks during church or Sunday School. I would think the locals would be more considerate.

Good Morning. We had such fun at our bingo game last night. I think everyone playing won a game. I will soon have a fistful of gift cards for Amazon.

About a fourth of our snow melted yesterday and hopefully a lot more will go today. We will be Mud Central soon...the nemesis of little white dogs.

I have been waiting for a package from UPS for two weeks and got it last night after dinner. I kept getting notices that the roads were unsafe for them to come into our area. FedEx made deliveries to our neighbors the entire time....Hmmmmm.

I got some good sleep last night and I feel decent today.

Our current member sharing her quilts didn’t post yesterday. I’m not sure of her status for the rest of the week, so we may have a small lapse. Maybe she will contact me today.

I watched the Power Cutting video on YT. It makes sense to me. I also have extremely good luck using the Stripology ruler. Now I need to watch Donna Jordan’s tutorial.

Have a great Taco Tuesday! Does anyone really do that? Hugs.....

sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Claire Hallman
        Claire Hallman commented
        Editing a comment
        I love the stripology ruler or the June Taylor shape cut. I actually liked the June Taylor one better since it had fewer markings but I wore mine out.

Good morning,

The last Tuesday on the month and tacos sound perfect! Looking forward to March and some Spring time decorating. I think that is my favorite time of the year. We had rain last night-of course- I had DH truck washed yesterday. Happy husband! We are finally closer to the vehicle decision. The good news is that we are on the same page of the game plan. I gave him a good education over the last few weeks on checking window stickers and learning options. Hopefully, we remember all of that and the fever doesn't take over. It's so easy to get confused on the lots. I can easily walk away from dealers and have dragged him out of a few. LOL!

I'll work on the rest of the shark towel this morning. I need to make the fin and attach it into the seam. Fun stuff for little boys. Then make a Spring time wall hanging to use the fabrics in the stash. I promise the intentions were good at the time.

Jean, Another quilt almost done? You are fast!

Have a fun day stitching!

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
        Editing a comment
        Rhonda, it’s called chain piecing. It’s the bomb! I’m a “git ‘er done” kind of quilter, I enjoy the destination, but don’t linger while on the journey!

• Momofmonsters5
        Momofmonsters5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Love March too! St paddy's day is my favorite!!

• TMP
        TMP commented
        Editing a comment
        I also chain piece and I have discovered leaders and enders. What a difference that makes. I can not stand long or waded up pieces of thread on my pieces.

Good Morning Forum Family. I checked the online ads for my pharmacy before leaving yesterday to go to postal store. Glad I did, sale on the vitamins I take, BOGO, so got two bottles for the price of one! Picked up some Easter cards for the Grands. Still tracking an order of mine, seems like UPS and Post Office are playing a game of "hot potato" with my box. Good thing the item is not a "perishable" item.

Pretty warm day today and winds should be less, fingers crossed! So many times yesterday I got shocked from all static electricity. I did get some good news yesterday, one of my work friends is going to be a great grandma! I immediately sent her email with lots of questions... when, color, gender, etc... Not sure who is more excited me or her? She is ready to shop and I am ready to sew for this blessed event!

Time for more coffee and look for the pattern (tutorial) on the tiny drawstring bags with rabbit ears to sew for the little ones. Great little holder for a cadbury egg!

Hope all have a safe and WARM day today.

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Karen! I love WeAllSew projects!

• Mimi_Howard
        Mimi_Howard commented
        Editing a comment
        The "we all sew" is the one that I used. Only had to take apart once, ears on backwards! But I finished them. Going to let the little ones draw their own faces on if they want. Sure they will just care about what is inside the little bag.. I will add another entry for this thread and post the picture. Not sure how to do here in comment section.
        Last edited by Mimi_Howard; February 23, 2021, 03:53 PM.

• KarenC
        KarenC commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the cute tutorial

Morning all,

Was up very early this morning then fell asleep in the recliner so off to a late start. Thank you for the kind words yesterday about my feral Shelby.

Not much going on here pretty much the same routine each day. We have sun this morning and the temps are rising so it should melt some more snow. Can't say I'll be sorry to see it gone.

We are redecorating our sunroom part of the furniture is to be delivered March 11th, according to the e-mail I received fingers crossed that's the case and no delays. So something nice to look forward to although I now have to get all the old furniture out and want to do a good cleanup. A lot of glass to be washed in there so it's easier to move around and do all the windows when it's empty.

Jean, wish I had your energy level to sew. Your machine just hums along!
      Monique, glad you had a good visit with your family.

Well, it's time for coffee and a quick cleanup of the kitchen. Wishing everyone a good day, be safe and stay well!
      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
        Editing a comment
        1600 stitches per minute! It’s a speedy devil!

Good morning!! Happy Tuesday. Busy work week and I'm packing this week. A new chapter of my life will start on Friday. Looking forward to it!

Not sewing much..I never do during the week due to working then other stuff. I made beef and broccoli last night. Tonight is probably enchiladas. I'm going to put beans in the crockpot after I post. I'll make spanish rice later.

Thanks to all for the layer cake quilt ideas for my son's wedding..still deciding but so appreciate all the ideas. Two sided should be fun!! Still working on crocheted projects too. I fell in love with these drawstring bags and all the females in the family will get one for Christmas.

Coffe time and get those beans going before I start work! Have a great day!!

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
        Momofmonsters5 commented
        Editing a comment
        No Monique, still waiting to hear!! I'm ending my relationship with my bf and moving out. Long story short we have a long history and past issues have kept our relationship from growing. He has a Narcissist personality..very hard to live with, I know I'm not easy either. It's Amplicable and friendly, best to end like that!

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry to hear about the ending. 'm glad to hear that you are looking forward to the changes. Sometimes, it's just not worth the effort, and especially if it's one sided. I'm certain you will adjust just fine. You are lucky that it is a friendly break-up.

• KarenC
        KarenC commented
        Editing a comment
        May your new chapter bring you peace and happiness. Sometimes, it's hard but the best in the end.

Good morning!

We have 40's, 40's, and more 40's in our extended forecast! There is one day in the 30's, but it will be the upper 30's, so no complaining here. It's practically a heatwave after all the days we have had in the 20's.

I succumbed to the siren call of fabric this morning and placed an order online. This is for a quilt for my Texas sister and a pillow for our STEM dean. I need to add them to the queue and figure out how high up they should be on the list. I am eyeing the panel I bought over the weekend. My front door has a tall, skinny window in the middle of it. I hate it. Since I am too cheap to purchase a new door, I have been using fabric panels as curtains to give me privacy. I have a few that I swap out seasonally. I think my first trip back in the sewing room will be to make a curtain out of that panel.

My cross stitch project is going well. I have finished all of the cross stitching parts and can start working on the outlining, backstitching, and french knots. There is a lot! I discovered recently I may not have been making french knots, but colonial knots. I had no idea there was a difference. I need to make a few practice knots and figure out which one gives me the most consist results.

I made my favorite roll recipe yesterday. I need to get some of them in the freezer before I pig out on them. I do love fresh-baked bread.

Time for another cup of tea and to log in to work. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• chelea
        chelea commented
        Editing a comment
        Julie, have you seen the window films? They're great for privacy. I have some on my basement window and one of my bathroom windows. They come in so many designs, they're really easy to install and they peel right off, no glue. Not too expensive either, definitely less expensive than a new door. They have them at Lowe's, Home Depot, Joann's, Amazon.

• Bubby
        Bubby commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking of the same thing chelea recommended. Fun and simple to do.

• MSN
        MSN commented
        Editing a comment
        Many years ago, I stitched a complicated Thomas Kinkade cross stitch. Finishing the cross stitches was a milestone, but I was really only halfway done. There were so many detail stitches that they took as long to do as the cross stitches.

Morning friends!

Something of a late start for me. I woke up twice during the night, but fell back asleep both times, but finally woke up for good at 6 a.m. However, after Cheryl left for work I fell back asleep, and didn't wake up until a cold nose told me someone needed to go outside at 9 a.m.

A slow day here. Snow continues to melt and yesterday for the first time there was a clean path from the porch to my car. I need to mail a couple of letters and need to get Patsy some heartworm medicine, but I've been avoiding that with the country roads in such terrible shape. I'm thinking Friday I will get her medicine. Our last vet told us it wasn't necessary to give dogs heartworm pills from December to March, so we pretty much have stayed with that regimen.

Placed an order with Kansas Troubles for backing for my Squares and Crosses quilt, but got an email this morning saying they didn't have two yards of what I wanted, so I had to change from green to red. Still no test strips. I have enough to get through today, but then I'll have to go to CVS or Walgreens and get a box. I wouldn't mind the delay if the USPS would keep me notified. Want to bet they'll show up today or tomorrow unannounced. I also received another notice from one of the Texas fabric shops that said exactly the same thing as their first notice did. My guess is they just wanted to let me know they hadn't forgotten about me. At least they sent a message.

I've come up with a design that I think will make a major dent in my Kansas Troubles fabric layer cakes and jelly roll. It's simple nine patches, stars, and the Civil War comfort block, but it uses 2 1/2 inch strips and 4 1/2 inch squares. It will be 68x68. I'm not going to start on it for a couple of days, just to give myself a rest. Cheryl didn't work on her DWR quilt last night.

Not much else to add. Hope everyone has a great day!

Rob
      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
      --Ken Burns

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm getting closer to also deciding on a design for my KT fabric. I have a layer cake, jelly roll, lots of various yardages and flannel for back. I bought when we visited the store in 2018 -- DH's cousin arranged a surprise stop on the way from Wichita to Beloit. And we got to meet Lynn and her husband. She gave us a tour of the retreat center. The store is filled to the brim with such gorgeous quilts. These were most DH's colors, but I got a new appreciation when I saw the beauties on display.

Good morning!
      I haven't had the opportunity to even read posts very much the last couple days. I'll get caught up on that in a bit. I've been doing a lot of online shopping for things for the new bathroom, doing some housework (couldn't come up with a reason not to!) babysitting grandson (best thing to do ever!) and, of course, shoveling snow.

Today the bathroom demo began. Lots of noise and commotion. I thought they would finish the bathroom before they started on the living room floors and removing the bookcases but they’re going to do all the demo first.

So our dog Molly has improved a slight bit. She went through three days of IV fluids at the vet and now we'll give her fluids at home every 3 days. That's just via a large needle in the scruff of her neck. She seems to be feeling ok at times but most of the time is still lethargic. Molly is finally beginning to eat again as long as it's not dog food. So Mike gives her boiled chicken, rice, and whatever he can find in the refrigerator. Right now the vet just wants her to eat and we'll maybe give her a special diet in the future. We understand that she may not be with us much longer so she is being more spoiled than usual. She spends her day on an old quilt on the couch now. She takes up about 3/4 of it!

It looks like I won’t be able to get into my sewing room for a couple days. That end of the hall has plastic hanging from the ceiling to help prevent construction dust from spreading there. So today will be my cat and me hanging out in the bedroom reading, maybe a little tv time. That’s ok. Anything to get the bathroom done!

Have a happy day,
      Last edited by Dove; February 23, 2021, 10:39 PM.
      ~ Carol from PA

Comment

Working...
      X