Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want a week's worth of sodium in one day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want a week's worth of sodium in one day?

Occasionally I treat myself to a six inch sub from Subway. Of course, I have to figure my food budget to compensate for the additional sodium such a sandwich contains. A healthy person should have no more than 2,000 milligrams per day while someone with heart disease should only have 1,500. Some days I do better than others.

Subway has a nutrition calculator that lets you know how much sodium, fat, etc., you're getting in one of their meals. I saw something the other day that just blew my mind. They offer a Buffalo Chicken sub that has Frank's Red Hot sauce. The amount of sodium in a six inch sub clocks in at 7,725 mgs., or 15,450 for a foot long sub. Of course, that doesn't include the sodium in chips. That is almost 8 days worth of sodium for a healthy person and ten days worth for someone like me!

Needless to say, I didn't order that.

Rob
    If you like a fabric, buy a yard. If you LOVE a fabric, buy three!
    Anna Bates
    "Quilt Roadies"

I don't monitor my sodium but holy cow I wouldn't even want to eat that

Comment

Are you compensating for all the sugar in the bread itself?
      TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

wow, it's a good thing i don't eat much at all then and stay home mostly.

Comment

That's crazy!! I don't watch anything but carbs..I can't have sugar. I eat pretty healthy most days.

Comment

Wow, that’s a staggering amount of sodium! Glad you passed it up, Rob.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

After my bypass, my then-cardiologist sat me down in his office and went over things I should eat and what I shouldn't. He said he wasn't as concerned with me eating carbs as much as he was with fat and sodium. Lunch meats were out (until I found lower-sodium varieties) and hot dogs as well (which I really miss grilled). I'll never forget two things he said. "Your other doctors will tell you because of your diabetes to avoid pasta. I'm telling you to eat it, but without the cream or butter sauces. Also, you can eat red meat everyday as long as it's lean." I have a limit as to how much of a particular thing I am supposed to eat, so as long as I stay within that number I'm OK Sometimes I don't do as well as I should, but my A1C is 6.1, and that's after eating breads and pasta.

Rob
              If you like a fabric, buy a yard. If you LOVE a fabric, buy three!
              Anna Bates
              "Quilt Roadies"

Comment

My husband absolutely loves Franks Hot Sauce, he'll put it on most anything. After reading your post, I checked on the sodium level of Franks: 190mg sodium per teaspoon (I don't think my husband even knows what a teaspoon is). Hhmmm sounds like he and I need to have a serious discussion.

Comment

Well, I guess I know where I should go when my BP is getting to low. I need to watch the carbs (T1D) but since my bp often drops doc says not to worry about the sodium, good thing because I am a big fan of pickles and olives.
                  One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

Working...
                  X