Monday, Monday, Ba da, ba, da, da da

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday, Monday, Ba da, ba, da, da da

Ok dag gum. That song is hung in my head now.

Good morning all,

I didn't see a start to the day, so here goes. There will probably be multiple starts.

Today, Mike's off and I'll go to town center to find something to bind the jelly roll rug. It's count down time. Kids will be home on Sat. so it's clean everything up. Put thing the kids don't need to touch out of reach and get the pins and floor strings up and put where they belong. Today is deep clean my bathroom and kitchen.

Mike is expecting FedEx today. I'm expecting a package from Amazon. So the front porch will be busy.

I think that's about it around here. We're back to dreary and more rain. lol at least the grass is green.

Have a great one! I'll be back later!

Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Yep, I was one minute behind you posting!

I worked on my Trip Around the World quilt yesterday. Big hurdle was cutting the squares. I tried a method I learned in my class for the blooming 9 patch, where you cut with a 12-1/2” ruler instead of a long ruler. 5 cuts, and voila, 30 squares cut! I cut over 700 squares in less than and hour. Then I used Donna Jordan’s method of construction, brilliant chain piecing. A 130+ piece went together in less than a hour. Brilliant!

I need to make a Target/drugstore/breakfast run this morning, then back to the sewing room for some more Trip around the World sewing.

Have a good day!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; February 22, 2021, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• Caroline T.
      Caroline T. commented
      Editing a comment
      Jean, I came across this video. It only demonstrates strip cutting, but as we all know, once the strip is cut (be it 2 1/2 or 5 inch wide), it's just a matter of cutting those strips into squares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBKOv3Azzw

• Jean Sewing Machine
      Jean Sewing Machine commented
      Editing a comment
      Caroline T YES THAT IS IT! I knew it had a name but couldn’t remember it! Power cutting! That is exactly how we were taught and it works great. I only have a 12-1/2” ruler, but it worked fine for me cutting 4” squares. To cut the squares after cutting the strips I just did the same thing horizontally after making the vertical cuts and trimming off that selvedge edge. I didn’t do multiple layers like she did in the video.

• Caroline T.
      Caroline T. commented
      Editing a comment
      Jean, I have wanted to do a Trip Around The World for so long, but the thought of picking out 13 fabrics I find daunting. Maybe a need a personal shopper to help me LOL.

Good morning all. Another day of no sewing yesterday. My machine is missing me. Yesterday was busy with brunch, grocery shopping, walk in the park and an overnight visit from youngest sister. I haven't seen her in about 6 months. Today I will ride with her to pick up some auction items she purchased before she heads back home. Then later will join some of my walking buddies to celebrate National Margarita Day. I think tomorrow returns to normal.

Comment

Good Morning, Everyone ~ It's milder this a.m., already above freezing. We're supposed to have mid-50's today. We had 52 yest. & mostly sunny.

Yest. I got around early & went to church for the first in-person attendance since Oct. Our church has 2 services, 1 at 8:30 & 1 at 10. I played prelude & postlude for 1st service, & just prelude for the 2nd. We have upholstered chairs (used to have pews) so the chairs can be arranged for better social distancing. Everyone wore masks coming & going, but some took off their masks during the service. I kept mine on the whole time as did several others. It was nice to be back in church.

DH wanted a hair cut yest. It had been 5 wks. He also requested a re-order of a supplement he takes daily -- sodium chloride tabs. for his chronic hyponatremia. We order once a year. So yest. eve. I placed an Amazon order for several items, incl. Baggies, Sombra Cream (topical analgesic), & disp. nitrile gloves, which I use all the time for DH's medical procedure, house cleaning, food prep., & gardening. Since the pandemic they've doubled or tripled in price! It's ridiculous.

Update on my 90 y.o. cousin George ~ he came through his surgery to put back his stomach ok. (He had a large hiatal hernia.) He's now allowed to have clear liquids (broth & jello). He's still in the hosp.

I have PT this a.m.

Comment

• ktdid
        ktdid commented
        Editing a comment
        Joy, you sure have a lot to do tending to your DH! (I had to look up hyponatremia) plus your own medical needs, glad your cousin is doing better!

Morning friends!

I got the side borders put on the Square and Crosses quilt yesterday. All I have to do now is put the top and bottom borders on and it will be finished. That will make four tops done this year (I should quit now and call this the year of Motown, ba domp domp). Cheryl continued to work on the DWR quilt as well.

Some rain overnight. The snow continues to melt slow but sure. Not really sure what I want to attempt once I get this next quilt done. I might take a break for a few days just to clear my head.

Patsy was in trouble much of yesterday. I had come back from the grocery store. We put the groceries away, but left some buns on the table. Patsy has never before grabbed anything from the table since she arrived here, but this time she decided to go for it. She ate every bun in the package. Luckily I bought two packages so we don't have to go back to the store, but now we are making sure everything is out of her reach. Being short and long bassets are notorious counter surfers, but Patsy surprised me.

Hope all have a great day!

Rob
      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
      --Ken Burns

Comment

• KPH
        KPH commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm lucky, Gabby never learned she could jump in her former household. She depends on her service human to get on the sofa or recliner.

• quiltingaway
        quiltingaway commented
        Editing a comment
        We own a counter surfer but he's very selective. He tends to just go for homemade goodies or bread from a local bakery. He's too old to counter surf now though. My son's family had two beagles and a great dane. They made quite the team. The beagles, with their great noses would alert the dane to anything interesting and the dane was tall enough to just walk by the counter and grab it, no jumping required.

• TMP
        TMP commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess my lab is strange . She doesn't bother food that is left out.

Amanda's dog eats anything and everything. The strangest thing he has eaten was a new large box of crayons, very interesting cleaning up the yard after him.

Good Morning. It’s going to be in the low 50s today, so things will really be melting. We can open our front door enough to come and go easily. That’s been inconvenient. It would be great to see some sunshine today.

Joy, glad your cousin is doing better. I hope he is able to leave the hospital soon. I agree about the cost of nitrile gloves and all PPE. We use a lot of gloves, too.

I got very little done yesterday other than changing sheets on our bed and catching up the laundry. I didn’t fix much for dinner either. We have Bingo again tonite.

I hope everyone has a good day. Hugs...

sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
        Nwmnteacher commented
        Editing a comment
        Barb, how does your Zoom bingo work?

Good morning,

Happy to say that I'm finally making some progress on my projects. I finished 4 embroidery blocks yesterday and started a hooded towel last night. I'm playing with a technique learned in one the LQS classes and trying it with the towel. When it's finished, I'll post and explain. The embroidery machine was humming along yesterday and then the dreaded needle break happened. A quick needle change and a re-thread put the machine back on-line.

We had cornish hens with red potatoes, and onions last night for dinner. Everything goes into one roasting pan and into the oven for an hour and fifteen minutes. It was an easy and delicious meal. Plus I had one more hour of sewing time. Win-Win!

Today is an office day and hopefully manage to do a couple of errands. Appointments are already booked this week for DH on Tuesday, massage on Thursday, and doctor on Friday. It's a busy week again!

Hope your day is happy. Stay warm and safe!

Comment

They finally rescheduled my COVID vaccine (60 miles), go in this am, hope no reactions, I have a list of med. allergies a mile long, all of you that post, you make me feel so inadequate!! I keep asking God to kick me in the butt to get me started on something - anything but sit and still grieve....you're all special to me, hope you all have a blessed day!! Hope Cathy made it to Oklahoma for her dad's funeral. Our 13" of snow has finally melted and the pipes thawed out with out any problems!! Take care
        Last edited by ktdid; February 22, 2021, 08:02 AM.
        Kathryn
        There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          ...and you are special to us. 🌸

• Cathy F
          Cathy F commented
          Editing a comment
          Kate, so glad to hear the pipes are thawed with no problems! Let us know how you are doing after your shot, safe travels getting there.

Good Monday Morning to all. Well yesterday turned out to be a slug bug day. The only real accomplishment was finishing a puzzle while I watched TV. Weather will be much warmer today but once again the wind advisory warnings. Going to make quick run to postal center when it opens to mail the tester apron to my daughter and then right back home.

I am itching to sew but just can't make up my mind what to sew. Thinking maybe pull out a few of the crumb blocks I recently found and just turn them into a pad for my sewing machine. Get some FMQ practice in with them. Maybe I will get one of those mental back of the head creative slaps by seeing all those pretty fabrics from previous projects.

But today I shall not be a slug bug! (this statement doesn't mean I will do chores!)

Hope all have a safe day and can stay warm.

Comment

Good Morning all,

Joy, so thankful that your cousin is doing better. Will keep him in my prayers for a smooth and quick recovery.

We are heading for the low 40's today. Already abundant sunshine, at least for a while. We got about 3 or 4 inches of snow yesterday but we are supposed to be above freezing for several days so we may make a good dent in that.

Groceries have been bought already this morning. I'm planning on making some chicken broth from carcasses I had in the freezer. I have several containers of chicken broth already frozen but I will add those to what I'm doing today. It just intensifies the flavor. Haven't decided yet if I will use the time while the broth is simmering to make a cake or go sew. Dave has been asking for a layer cake so I will probably do the cake and then go do some more sewing. I was able to do a little quilting yesterday and am about half way done with the Tabitha quilt. I should have plenty of time in the next week to get it done before our next meeting.

That's it for me. Time for some breakfast and a cup of coffee before I start working in the kitchen. Have a great day everyone!
          Carlie

Comment

Good morning!

We have temps above freezing! Our snow is starting to melt. I was surprised to see how many tree limbs are down in the back yard.

I did not accomplish much yesterday. I did some cross stitching and reading. My sisters and I like this one cozy mystery series, and book #18 or #19 came out recently. My Ohio sister liked it so much, she has read it twice. I'm still working on finishing it. I haven't been reading as much lately, and when I do it is taking me longer to finish the book. I have other things to concentrate on, I guess.

I need to take my car up to have the emissions tested this week. I'm cutting it a little close to get the renewal sticker. I was going to do it last week, but we had all those winter storms, so...this week it will have to be. I'm thinking of renewing the tags for two years instead of one. That will be one less thing to worry about next year!

Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• Mimi_Howard
              Mimi_Howard commented
              Editing a comment
              We smog ever other year, sure wish we could renew tags for 2 years. I do the smog and tag quickly, but getting the tags on the car, thats another thing. Mine expire at end of this month and I have had the new ones for over a month, still in the envelope on kitchen counter.. bad Mimi !

I have started back trying to walk daily, there is a good sidewalk route that is 1.5 miles per my phone. Maybe one day I will go further but for now this is good. I got a shock when I got on the scale recently which prompted the exercise.🤣 Our weather is improving, there is even some sunshine with 50-60 degrees. I hope it continues but not likely. We need some dirt but we also need the ground to dry up enough to use a wheelbarrow to get the dirt into the back yard. Maybe next month.🙄
            I did manage some sewing on Saturday, I am getting a quilt cut out and some units sewn but expect to run out of material before I get to the sashing. It is supposed to be scrappy but I would like it to repeat the scraps in the blocks so I will be searching or changing the design, not sure which.🤔
            Today will include a grocery store trip, we are out of several fresh things and low on cereal for DH breakfast. Maybe Aldis which is a fun treasure hunt.
            We once had a cat that loved to eat bread, he would help himself to a loaf on the counter, we started using the microwave for a bread box and discovered it kept things fresher, longer so that has been our bread box ever since.
            Last edited by Claire Hallman; February 22, 2021, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
              Rob the HOAQ commented
              Editing a comment
              We have a Rubbermaid container that we normally put buns in, but the package didn't make it in there in time. We didn't make the same mistake twice.

Rob

• Cokie
              Cokie commented
              Editing a comment
              Claire, our first cat did the same thing! He'd nibble a bit off of every slice starting at one end. On Saturday morning I'd let the kids eat breakfast while they watched TV (sitting on the floor), and if I made waffles, he'd sit and watch them, and when they weren't looking, he's reach his paw out and spear a piece of waffle with a claw, flip it off the plate, and eat it! He'd do the same thing with french fries if he got the chance, but waffles were his favorite.

Back again. I have 20 min. before I have to leave for PT. Morning laundry is done (only 1 load today), a late breakfast, & dishes washed up. I need to go by the groc. store after PT for a few items. I need to get ground turkey for my turkey patties. It's that time again.

I had to chuckle, Rob, about Patsy getting into the buns.

Claire, I need to start walking, too. Just not sure how well my knees would hold up. I'm frustrated with my slow progress with therapy. Two of the exercises I do at PT really aggravate my knee issues.

I liked the Quiltville quote today on Bonnie Hunter's blog. "You were born to be real, not perfect." A good motto for our quilting & other facets of life.

We're getting a Chinook wind today. The temp. quickly has risen to 65 deg.! Wow. Our snow is gone except for where it was piled up or in shady areas. But there's another chance for some snow on Wed.

The B-777 yest. that lost an engine after departing DIA -- they have removed 24 planes from service that have the same engine, made by Pratt Whitney. Apparently, there has been a previous incident involving those engines. One house yest. was damaged when debris went through the roof. It's fortunate no one was injured. Imagine if that had happened over the Pacific! They were headed to Hawaii.

Time to leave for PT.

Comment

Hi friends, Happy Monday,
              We had rain last night into early morning, then sunshine yipee.
              It appears the starlings are back, they are shouting at each other, its quite loud, but nice to hear, after all the silence of winter, they appear to be mischievous and somehow managed to cover the windows in white blobs. Does this mean we are now lucky? 🤣
              Himself said will be washing windows in the dark when the mischiefs, gone to bed 🙄 bet they cover it again lol.
              We have a history with Starlings when visited the South-West UK, had just arrived at an campsite had opened boot to get tent out, when a flock of Starlings dived at us, we hit the ground, there was poop in car, all over us, somehow was holding one, so let it join its friends, certainly a great way to say hello to fellow campers when they all rushed over to see if ok. Was thankful of the shower block and the Umbrella for exiting the tent.
              Was a reminder of the Alfred Hitchcock bird film.
              Have a great day everyone.
              Hugs
              T

Comment

• Mimi_Howard
                Mimi_Howard commented
                Editing a comment
                Here the Hitchcock bird moments are with Sea Gulls at the beach. They see food and will go for it.. and fight, oh they can fight each other over food. Sometimes they fly inland (my neirghborhood) and fight with the black birds over trash that spills from the cans on windy days trash pick up days.

Good day everyone,
              It's been a short while since I've checked in. I've been busy driving DH to appts, seems like every day, keeping up with the snow, housework, groceries, cooking, laundry, you name it, I'm it these days. Chef cook and bottle washer. The only day I sewed since last Sew day was Saturday. I made a lot of progress on the hunter star blocks and started pieced the first 2 rows. Then that's when thing's went south and I need to pull out the ripper. No point sewing when you are tired. Yesterday, I drove DH to physio and went to Lowes to check out dishwasher. I was set on KitchenAid, but they dont have the models I want in stock - anywhere. So I looked at LG. We have LG washer & dryer and like them. So I took down info -- and 10% sale on those ended yesterday. So after I picked up DH from physio, dropped him at home and went back to order. It should be delivered tomorrow morning and installed following Wed. That's good enough, it hasn't entirely died, it just sound like that B-777 might have dropped an engine here. In the afternoon, I made 7 shepherd's pies for 2, to freeze. Then washed dishes by hand.

Today, other than picking up groceries, I sorted through papers for shredding. I filled up 3 boxes, which will go for recycle pick-up tmrw. I hear my neighbour doing our driveway with snow-blower. I feel guilty. He is also working on a custom piece of furniture for us. Well that's it -- better wake DH from his nap -- he wanted to get up around 5pm.

Catch up soon. Stay safe and stay warm.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
              X