No announcement yet.

What are you obsessed with? Just for fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has been fun to read. One of mine is entering as many entries as I possibly can in our local county fair. My highest has been over 80 entries. Last year was "only" 64 I think. I enter in sewing, cross stitch, baking and various crafts. It is addicting. Some people think I am nuts. Others who also enter the fair understand.
    Retha

Comment

• Retha
      Retha commented
      Editing a comment
      We don't have to create recipes--thank goodness. It is fun. I love doing it. It really is addictive.

• Retha
      Retha commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, and our fair isn't that big so it isn't like huge state fairs, etc. Just our local county fair.

• MSN
      MSN commented
      Editing a comment
      I do understand, though I've never come close to 80 entries in one year. Usually a dozen or so. My friends all know that if I make them a gift, I will borrow it back to enter in the county fair. After the fair, they get the item back, but I keep any ribbons!

@Jean Sewing Machine have you seen the 2020 documentary film "My Octopus Teacher," on netflix? I think you might find it interesting!

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
      Jean Sewing Machine commented
      Editing a comment
      I have not seen that. I’m not a fan of Netflix. Ripped me off for over a year charging me double.

The fictitious county I'm writing about. I've even been populating it with 1/6 scale action figures. Still, it's fun writing and photo-cartooning. http://ognyen.blogspot.com/2017/08/r...chapter-5.html and started but had to break a National Novel Writing Month project: http://ognyen.blogspot.com/2020/11/n...tt-county.html You can hunt the photo-cartoons at Pinterest and Flickr or see if they're still available on Facebook at "That Other Group - The Catch All One"

Comment

I'm not trying to force netflix, @ Jean Sewing Machine, but it is quite an incredible documentary. Maybe you can at least see the trailer on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-lbIJHlmbE

Comment

• jjkaiser
        jjkaiser commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the suggestion. I have Netflix so will see if they still have it.

• Jean Sewing Machine
        Jean Sewing Machine commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks like it would be quite a good show to see. Thanks for the heads up. If I visit someone with Netflix, I will ask them to cue it up for me to watch.

I like true crime...mostly serial murderers....given my profession, abnormal psychology courses were my favorite classes; however, I have been obsessed since young on Bible prophecy. Both my mother and I....we talk on the phone at great lengths about this subject and share books/DVD’s back and forth..
      "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• jjkaiser
        jjkaiser commented
        Editing a comment
        Serial murders really give me the creeps. Maybe because I live in Milwaukee where a few years ago we had this horrible sicko Jeffrey Dahmer who killed his victims and disposed of their bodies in acid but also cooked and ate some body parts "to see what it was like." Ewww. He was killed in prison (no surprise) and after that there was a slew of Dahmer jokes going around and ibthought that was pretty sickening too. Idk if that storyvwas widely reported or just a local thing here.

• Hulamoon
        Hulamoon commented
        Editing a comment
        Dahmer was wildly reported. I lived near the areas of the Hill Side Strangler and The Night Stalker in Calif. right before I moved to Hawaii. Spooky to watch documentaries about them after the fact. Even my dd asked me 'mom didn't you live in that area'? Creepy.

• tsladaritz
        tsladaritz commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I heard of Dahmer also, though not the gross facts you shared. bleah. And i do not watch any true crime. It gives me nightmares that people can act that way. Oddly enough I like watching fiction mysteries though. Lighter stuff like Monk. I was fascinated for a short while with CSI because one of them had a character that was slowly going deaf, was so smart and always figured out what was happening. (I am partially deaf)

You don't see these movies come up very often but I will watch them anytime they are listed. Made in Heaven (Timothy Hutton), Tequilla Sunrise (Mel Gibson) and Somewhere in Time.
      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• Teen
        Teen commented
        Editing a comment
        Great movies... I finally bought Somewhere in Time and have watched it so many times. My other older and favorite I ended up buying is The Competition with Amy Irving and Richard Dreyfus....love that movie...and Lee Remick is in it, too....one of my fav actresses...I play the piano so I am always watching these types of movies....Shine is another fav based on a true story of a piano prodigy.

I had to think about this one -- great topic Jocelyn. I've gone through phases and interests in my life. I guess I like to learn about different topics, but once I know enough about it, I usually move on to the next. I guess I'm a generalist, like to know a little about a lot of topics. However, my obsession is organizing, but not to the point of being OCD, just enough so I know where things are. Form to function, if that makes sense Consequently, I rarely lose things, that is, unless someone else has moved it. I am obsessed about quilting, and again, this could pass -- never, who am I kidding. I have been sewing since I am 10, and though I may have strayed to many other crafts over the years, now and again, I always come back.

I was obsessed about visiting every Canadian province and capital -- I haven't been to the territories, but maybe one day. I love to explore the great stores of major cities I visit, sometimes before I even visit the usual attractions. I have also also visited and stayed at every Canadian Pacific hotel and resort across Canada. Now these hotels have been mostly sold off to luxury brands.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• tsladaritz
        tsladaritz commented
        Editing a comment
        I love organizing also. I like efficiency and do not mind labels if it helps get things done better/faster. But I have that adhd personality so I always called my preschool class when I taught, "Organized Chaos". LOL I need the routine or I do lose things and forget where I put them. They need a home and it needs to be easy- thus efficient to quickly use and put back. I also like researching if it is something useful to know. But random things such as the octopus thing I am fascinated but would rather someone just tell me so I can get to the next thing. LOL I love to sew too and have been sewing since I was 12, hand crafts like crochet and cross stitch since about 7 so I probably won't give any of that up any time soon.

I love cooking and baking shows. I don't really cook a lot or bake at all like I used to. But for some reason I love watching them. A lot of the information I already knew but it is fun to sometimes learn something new or watch them create things so well and so fast.

Comment

Working...
      X