What are you obsessed with? Just for fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you obsessed with? Just for fun

I thought it would be fun to see what other people are obsessed with. Now let me tell you I am so un-athletic, so in a way this doesn't even make sense. I don't ski, swim, run, bike, go to the gym, etc. But for some crazy reason I am obsessed with all things having to do with climbing Mt. Everest! I read everything I see about it and watch every movie or documentary. I have read the book Into Thin Air 4-5 times. It's so fascinating and so dangerous I can't understand how so many people take those risks and pay all that money to do it. So, what is your obsession?

Mine is true crime. I can watch hours and hours of documentaries on crimes. No idea why but always loved them. I think I like the justice part. I'm obsessed right now with the local case I posted about where the guy was killed by the drunk driver. She works the same place I do and I know I recognized her..we have over 700 employees. Someone reminded me this week that I probably know her from popcorn sales...she has a young son that plays baseball and was always fundraising...yep I bought popcorn. Anyway weird thing about me..I also look at the local most wanted weekly. Love Criminal minds, CSI and law and order too.

Comment

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had enough real life crime in my life so I can understand the burnout Rob! My husband used to do alot of death penalty cases where if his client got a life sentence it was considered a victory, and before that he was a public defender, so I have "lived through" every kind of case imaginable. But we still love watching old episodes of the Master, Perry Mason! And laugh at how unrealistic some of the courtroom scenes are, and Paul Drake coming tp the rescue with the smoking gun at the last possible moment. And no, in real life people do not break down on the witness stand and declare "I killed him!"

• minipinlady
      minipinlady commented
      Editing a comment
      I too love true crime stories, and spend hours watching shows, movies, documentaries etc. I recently watched one called Nightstalker on Netflix. Excellent ! I love the cops who give so much to keep us safe. I think too I like that it shows the impact and it's ripple effect. The 2 cops in Nightstalker are outstanding. Mindhunter is another very good series

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      My daughter and I were obsessed with all crime shows for the longest time. I started her on her journey when she was small, reading Nancy Drew mysteries. When she was about 8, she would watch Murder, She Wrote at my mom's place after school. I was fascinated with justice, Ironside and Matlock -- I guess not just the gruesome, but the justice behind it. Now I can't watch any NCIS or CSI -- I just get nighmares. But I do enjoy Midsommer Murders. No mystery there, just take bets with DH as to how many will die.

My obsession is with octopuses. ( not octopi!, at least according to Jeopardy). They are amazing creatures, have an advanced brain. They are amazing escape artists. I read the book “ Soul of an Octopus” by Sy Montgomery. She was obsessed with learning about octopuses, volunteered at a local aquarium , learned to scuba dive so she could observe them in their natural habitat. She found out the octopuses in captivity assess humans very quickly. When the keepers come to feel them, if they like you they wrap several tentacles around your arm. If they don’t like you, they squirt a jet of water at you.

image.jpg This sweet girl Octavia is on my bed and we cuddle every night. Call me weird, I can take it!

Comment

• KPH
      KPH commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you seen Jan Brett's picture book, The Mermaid? It's right up your alley.

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      That's pretty interesting and I didn't know octopusses were friendly towards people.

• Jean Sewing Machine
      Jean Sewing Machine commented
      Editing a comment
      Octopuses are friendly to keepers who feed them. This is in captivity of course. But Sy Montgomery found a connection to one she observed in the wild. They flash colors on their skin as an emotional response to what they are experiencing. Bright colors are signals they are happy, dull colors are signals they want to hide from you. No color is not good, means they are dying. They do not live long lives.

Purses, crime shows aka as muuuurder in our house.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      Purses? Really? I just have one. But you make gorgeous bags so I can see why you love them.

• bubba
      bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      We are presently in Hawaii (since mid-December) and I think I have bought three, maybe four purses since we have been here!

• tsladaritz
      tsladaritz commented
      Editing a comment
      I love purses also and have several of different sizes and types. I have made a couple. they are their own unique challenge in sewing. I made a couple of back packs too. But I do not use those much anymore.

Venice, Italy is my passion. Reading history, fiction, studying the food and culture. Getting to know the whole city and exploring all its nooks and crannies. We have gone several times and stay in the same area. We've made friends with some locals there that we keep in touch with regularly. My favourite movie is Summertime with Katherine Hepburn and Rossano Brazzi. We watch it every year before our trip. Hubby just rented it for me the other day for Valentine's. It's the only romance movie he'll watch with me, lol. Just so he can say..." That's such and such. We've been there!" He looks at the background stuff... as do I, lol.
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Jocelyn, you might enjoy the book Across China. I read it years ago and found it very interesting. Like you, I find Mt Everest fascinating and jaw dropping that people actually want to climb it. There is no amount of money that would make me want to do that but it is interesting. I think there was an IMAX movie too.
      "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
      Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• jjkaiser
        jjkaiser commented
        Editing a comment
        I will look for that book! I did see the Imax movie years ago. The climb looks even more death defying on a big giant screen like that.

It should come as no surprise that my obsession is Lincoln and the Civil War. Of the 1,600-plus books I own over half are about that. I've been to every location that has played a role in Lincoln's life from his birth to his death. I've been to his house and his grave at least 10 times during my lifetime, and want to go again.

I've established something of a reputation in the Lincoln community, although I'm miles away from being well-known. I've been fortunate to correspond with some of the greatest Lincoln scholars in the country.

One of my final wishes is after I'm gone I will be cremated. I would like my ashes to be placed in a columbarium at Oak Ridge Cemetery in Springfield, although I don't know if that will happen given the cost (about $1,800 the last time I checked).

Rob
      If you like a fabric, buy a yard. If you LOVE a fabric, buy three!
      Anna Bates
      "Quilt Roadies"

Comment

I would have to say I am obsessed with the movie 'Dirty Dancing'. I know I have watched it over 100 times and still enjoy it to this day. I have it downloaded now. When it first came out on VHS, the place my husband worked had it. I borrowed it and never gave it back, LOL!!
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• minipinlady
          minipinlady commented
          Editing a comment
          Movies I watch many times over are Wizard of Oz, Storm of the Century, The Village, Hunt for Red October. I have watched Game of Thrones 3 times already

• Monique
          Monique commented
          Editing a comment
          jjkaiser, you HAVE to watch it just once, lol!! Patrick Swayze was awesome. Sadly he passed away from cancer. Broke my heart.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Editing a comment
          Bubba -- I love Julia's brown dress with white polka dots -- at the horse races. I actually found one that was a royal blue with white dots that I wore for years.

I have to say true crime shows and podcasts.
        Wendy
        http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

Horses. Its always been horses, thanks to my 88 year old Uncle getting me started. HIS obsession is skydiving every year on his birthday.
          TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• jjkaiser
            jjkaiser commented
            Editing a comment
            I think I would actually die of fright jumping out of a plane! That is a crazy birthday thing!

• auntstuff
            auntstuff commented
            Editing a comment
            The grin on his face this past year when he was done tells me he's not stopping til he can't do it.

True crime shows, for sure.

Comment

I had to think about this. I think I might be obsessed about Scottie dogs and American Ninja Warrior...I know, right?
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• tsladaritz
              tsladaritz commented
              Editing a comment
              For some weird reason I am not athletic at all but like The ninja shows also. Did you you know they had some kid ninja shows also? Those were kind of fun too.

I am obsessed with history. I love anything about American history and anything about the Nights Templar. My tv is on the history channel 95% of the day. Also, the last few years real or not I can't stop watching Oak Island.

Comment

• minipinlady
              minipinlady commented
              Editing a comment
              My husband loves the show about Oak Island too

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              Editing a comment
              We have watched all the Oak Islands and like you, DH watches a lot of history channel, so I absorb it also when sitting with him. We want to visit there on our next east coast trip.

• Bubby
              Bubby commented
              Editing a comment
              Jeff loves to watch Oak Island.

Across China is by Peter Jenkins.
            "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
            Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

The movie I watched the most times besides Wizard Of Oz, because it came on every year at the same time (remember that?) is Ferris Buller's Day Off. I don't search it out, but if it comes on I sit down and watch it.

It's not an obsession, but I get this odd feeling when I walk into an office supply store, or a container store. Ikea too, something about organization I think. The stores are organized and carry organized stuff. lol

🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
              X