Electrician or HVAC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrician or HVAC?

just wondering which i need to call. again. ,my electric bill has gone up considerably. very fast. I hardly use it if possible. the HVAC guy had just come by for a check up. I called the electric company when i got my bill, they said call the HVAC guy. i did that, all is well. Again talked to the electric company. I have one of those new meters no one needs to come read. Today- my son was in the garage using his power air hose on something and i was microwaving a frozen dinner. yummy. the microwave went off and the air hose too. Quiet. So my son looked at the breakers and flipped it back on. 110/220.... He thought that odd but has searched for more info and it seems people wire things like that all the time. Now, do i need an electrician or not.? that is the question.
    I worry about breakers going off and sparking a fire. sigh. everyone wants tons of money just to come look these days. so far i've gotten no help as i sit in a cold house (to save on bill). anyway, Electrical company or HVAC ? if there is a difference. there doesn't seem to be these days. sigh.

If its something wrong with the electrical panel -- call an electrician. Although HVAC guy / company may have electrician on staff.

Definitely do not leave the wiring that way.
    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

I checked my last 16 bills and the highest i'd paid was $155.00, this high bill was for $196.00, then down to $177.00 at least. i am very frugal. i'm looking at electrical companies now. Don't trust my HVAC people anymore. more money i don't have of course.
      thanks!!

Comment

Yes, a good qualified electrician. Been there recently....
        She who dies with the most quilts is......
        Still dead.
        What's your hurry?

Comment

Call an electrician.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

yep, doing that tomorrow. I know it will cost a lot, no way around that here for some reason. Never thought i'd say i miss Colorado (being a Texan) but I do at times!

Comment

it also could be just your microwave. some are now so powerful, they require their own line to the panel. ask me how I know.
              Diana Grey

Comment

• nativetexan
                nativetexan commented
                Editing a comment
                well it's been used four years so don't think it is the problem. that air hose thing and other items are plugged into lines my son put in the garage. well not electrical lines he put in but outlets for more than one. Men always know everything,sometimes not.

Definitely call an electrician.

An air compressor pulls a large amount of electricity. In fact, my brother, who owned his own mechanical shop, had his air compressor wired on its own circuit because running it through a normal household circuit was too much. At our house we can't run the microwave toaster, or the air fryer at the same time or we trip a breaker. Basically our house was done to code, but it really needs another circuit.

Good luck.

Rob
              So rather than practice makes perfect, I encourage you to think practice makes better.
              Quilts and More Magazine Summer 2021

Comment

• nativetexan
                nativetexan commented
                Editing a comment
                that is what i figured. I wonder if the electrical man will want to change that. oh my. well time will tell.

• Rob the HOAQ
                Rob the HOAQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Hard to say. A person can rarely go wrong having enough circuits, but there certainly is a cost to adding one.

Rob

• sydneybean
                sydneybean commented
                Editing a comment
                Mine can't be run at the same time either. Not even the exhaust fan on the microwave when the air fryer is on. I don't have anywhere else to put the air fryer that would make sense,

Are these two items running on a gfi? They are sensitive and can easily trip.

Are you comparing electric bills for the same amount of days. Some bills may have 29 days and some may have 31 in the cycle. You want to be sure you are comparing the same costs across bills each month. Did the fuel charge change?

Running the heat cycle costs more than AC usually as the unit runs longer. The meters can go bad. Do you have windows that may not be closed all they way tight. Do you heave items plugged in when not in use. They can add up.

We recently had a part replaced on our AC/ unit. It wasn’t bad yet but it wasn’t drawing all the “juice” like it should. Do the drain lines need to be cleaned out?

Good luck!
              A bucket of sunshine from the East Coast FL!
              Like sands through the hour glass-sew are the days of our lives!

Comment

Around here Oklahoma, all the electrical companies Do Not charge for giving an estimate, It's obvious those are on the same circuit line. I'm curious is the compressor a 220?
                Kate (Oklahoma)
                There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Jeff is an electrician. Your microwave (every appliance) should be on its own breaker. Something could be wired wrong or it could be something else. You need a licensed electrician to check it out. It’s a safety issue. Good Luck.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

This might be useful. If you have thermostats that control independent heating units (like baseboard units) and they also are turned on with a timer, make sure you turn the thermostat off when you aren't using it. If it is left on a temperature and even if the timer turns off, you can still be drawing electrical power, hence....a nasty bill! Get a good electrician in there to be safe.
                    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

just an update. the microwave did it again and again. No air hose on then!! the electrician is coming Friday next week. Best i could get. now it could be my five yr old microwave giving up the ghost but maybe not. I will get the separate breaker done and then ask if he can tell me if i need a new microwave (not charging me anything to tell me that). sigh.

Comment

• Monique
                        Monique commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good luck!
                    Working...
                    X