A new day has dawned, welcome Wednesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new day has dawned, welcome Wednesday

Good morning friends. I worked at the blocks for the scrappy quilt yesterday. I don't know how I had arranged the blocks the day before but whichever it was, it wasn't the same layout yesterday. I am a whole row short. Maybe because I made it wider instead of longer. Anywho, I have to make more blocks and that's okay, I may have more scraps to draw from, LOL!!

And so that is the plan for today, more sewing (ah geez right?).

Tomorrow is dentist time. They are to repair the back tooth that got broken last March. Have a great day everyone. Stay safe and stay healthy.

Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Good morning Monique - you sure are the early bird today. Guess that means you get the worm - LOL

DH and I have appts for our first covid vaccine tonight. The way things have been going I'll believe it when I feel that needle go into my arm!!

Had a lovely lunch with my DIL yesterday. She and my son have been together since HS and she is truly my "daughter". Last year they announced that they were parting ways - very amicable. They are the best of friends but are now divorced and seriously with other mates. DH and I are OLD OLD OLD and we really don "get it". We've shed many tears over the situation, but they are both very happy so who are we to judge. And this lovely lady was in "daughter for over 30 years and she always will be.

I really can't get my sewing mojo going. I have a bazillion projects flying through my head and yet all I seem to do is watch youtube videos and surf tutorials, sewing techniques, fabric sales, well just anything sewing, on the web. I go into my sewing room and move things around and pretend I'm organizing, I might even work on cutting a bag for my precious granddaughter. (it has to be fussy cut and I'm not really good with that - hence the feet dragging). I've had a few St Patty's day quilt blocks up on the design board for the past couple of weeks- just looking at me!!! I even got my valentine mystery box from Fat Quarter Shop yesterday and it sat here for several hours before I even opened it. HELP - this is scaring me - I'm worried it might be terminal!!!! Who knows how to turn this thing around????

Have wonderful day everyone - hope your sewing mojo is in full swing!!!!

Comment

• Bubby
      Bubby commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m sorry to hear about your son and DIL divorcing. How about making one of the square zip bags that use the new fancy zippers from M*. You also need some double sided fusible Bosal. Misty just did a tutorial for these...cute and totally simple!

• Nwmnteacher
      Nwmnteacher commented
      Editing a comment
      Carol, I'm right there with you; no sewing inspiration here either. I've been watching a lot of sewing videos as well. I finally got the mask fabric for the GKs washed yesterday, and I'm trying to make myself get into the sewing room and DO it.

• Simply Quilting
      Simply Quilting commented
      Editing a comment
      Like you, I do have a lot of projects that I want to do and lacked the sewing mojo to do it. What I finally did was go sew on a children's pillowcase. I think one of the things is the house is cleaned up from Christmas and other projects, do I really want to drag out everything to sew - table, cutting mat, ironing board. The other part is just the stress of stuff going on although shutting down the computer and going into the sewing room helped me feel a lot better.

Good morning everyone 🧵

Hope your dentist appointment is painless Monique! I HATE going....super bad childhood memories.
    Carol, I too have be in natural for tooooo long. My trouble is getting DH motivated to take on a big enough project (all my his lonesome) that frees me up......he has recent retired and is “enjoying” his free time 🤪

We haven’t seen the sun in so long....we’ll it has barley peeked out for a few seconds....it’s been snowing on and off. Never much, just some. ❄️

Figured out my binding for the current quilt, and have decided on the next “victim.” Been working on quilting ideas (I hand quilt). With my trusty and beautiful sewing case by my side....I’ll get it done. The case was a treasured gift from Monique 💗

Well time to check out the forum and then hunt up something to eat.....and probably more important....some hot tea ☕️

Have a wonderful day. Love, prayers to all...💕💕
    💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

Originally posted by Star lover View Post
      Good morning everyone 🧵

Hope your dentist appointment is painless Monique! I HATE going....super bad childhood memories.
      Carol, I too have be in natural for tooooo long. My trouble is getting DH motivated to take on a big enough project (all my his lonesome) that frees me up......he has recent retired and is “enjoying” his free time 🤪

We haven’t seen the sun in so long....we’ll it has barley peeked out for a few seconds....it’s been snowing on and off. Never much, just some. ❄️

Figured out my binding for the current quilt, and have decided on the next “victim.” Been working on quilting ideas (I hand quilt). With my trusty and beautiful sewing case by my side....I’ll get it done. The case was a treasured gift from Monique 💗

Well time to check out the forum and then hunt up something to eat.....and probably more important....some hot tea ☕️

Have a wonderful day. Love, prayers to all...💕💕
      Maybe our DH's could meet up somewhere for a guys weekend......somewhere far far away - LOL. Love him to death - but retirement really changes a girl's lifestyle - that's for sure!!!!!!

Comment

Good morning! It is dawning beautiful but COLD here! I’m snuggled under my new double heavy fleece blanket made from JoAnn remnants while catching up on news here and on TV.

Yesterday’s session with the Thread Heads was very successful. Not only did I get enthusiasm for future projects that I brought samples for but they all were able to catch on to the “quilt as you go” concept for constructing the improv tote. Here is my star pupil who finished hers completely during our session. One other lady finished hers also but my phone died before I could get her picture.

C0AB89EA-AFB6-47EE-ABAA-27E47CA8A7DD.jpeg Her bag turned out so cute! All from strips I found in my stash and lining also! So proud of her. And she got to use her brand new Singer Heavy Duty sewing machine! This lady was a professional seamstress working in a factory that produced sails. She knows how to put the pedal to the metal to get things done!

The rest of the ladies got at least one side of the bag finished. Even the most inexperienced sewists got the concept, and finished at least one side of the bag. My fellow volunteer leader and I had time to confer on future projects so we kind of know where we are going for future projects.

Their social worker ( my former neighbor’s granddaughter) got our three volunteers ( myself and two others) on the list to get our vaccines the next time they come to the senior apartments to give the next round of shots to residents which is Feb 13. I am so glad to be in this group which is so much smaller than thousands scrambling on a parking lot at the hospital. Now I know when and where to go for my shot.

tracing through the USPS for my package sent two weeks ago from a store 25 miles away. It was to be delivered yesterday. Guess what? No package yet. Grrrr!

I hope to put my Xs and hearts quilt top together today. Then decide how to finish it to fit my queen size bed. I have nothing on my agenda for the rest of the week, so I might just get it done before Valentines day! Yippee!

Hope you all have a great day!
        Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; January 20, 2021, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• geegeequilts
          geegeequilts commented
          Editing a comment
          Pat yourself on the back Jean, you deserve it for volunteering to do this.Sorry I don't live closer I'd love to help. Gina

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          Cute picture! A happy bag owner. Such a kind thing you're doing Jean!

• KarenC
          KarenC commented
          Editing a comment
          Cute bag. Your student looks very happy. They are lucky to have you as a volunteer! Maybe I need to look into something like that once I figure out tis retirement life. 2 more days.

Good Morning, Everyone ~ It's a chilly 20 deg. this a.m., but it's supposed to warm up today to the upper 50's. I'm thankful for the Colorado sunshine! Even if it's cold, the sun usually is shining. We get >300 days of sun here.

No sewing done yest. I've been thinking about making a quilt for my niece who recently was diagnosed with breast cancer. If I change the colors a bit, this Criss-Cross block pattern would work. I have quite a few pink fabrics in my stash. Or...I might use a different pattern that would go together more quickly.

I didn't do much yest. I needed the rest, I think. I went to the groc. store. I worked on some snail mail (cards). This a.m. I'm skipping my Bible study on Zoom to watch the inaugural events. I hope everyone will be safe & events will unfold without incident. It certainly will be different due to the pandemic.

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
          Nwmnteacher commented
          Editing a comment
          Joy, I'm envious of your sunshine days!

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          As am I, lol!

Good Morning all,

It was 1 degree when I went to bed last night and 13 when I got up. I think that is the coldest it has been so far this winter, no below 0 days....yet. I'm sure we will be getting a few, we always do. Today is supposed to be sunny most of the day at temps near 38. I'll take it! Tomorrow is a trip to pick up my 3 grands still living at home and take them to the dentist. Boy, my daughter was so mad when she had them in to the dentist last month. They all have tons of cavities, Carson with the least at 9. They are taking stricter measures in them brushing. Makayla had 19. I cannot imagine having that many cavities at one time. They go every year. I wonder if it is their diet. They eat very healthy, not a lot of sugar but lots of fruits and veggies. Anyway, I will be sitting at the dentist throughout their appointments. The first is at 10:10 then at 11 and then at 12. I'll need to leave here around 8:30 and probably won't be home until mid afternoon. I'll take a side trip to the vet (I travel over an hour for mine because I love her) and pick up dog food for my two dogs.

I was able to get to the sewing room for a bit yesterday but was interrupted very rudely. We have been having issues with Milka lately going potty in the house. If both Dave and I are busy she just comes up to the sewing room and goes. She doesn't try to get my attention or anything. She did that again this morning. I heard her get up (Dave was already up) and I immediately got up. I didn't see her in the sewing room so I went downstairs. Sure enough, I missed her in the sewing room. Thankfully Jennifer told me about what a carpet cleaner told her for her carpets. You take Oxyclean and mix with water (there is a chart on the back to follow). You soak the area with the Oxyclean and then use paper towels to pull it up out. I actually use a spot cleaner to pull it out of the carpet. It has been working nicely, no smell so far. Now if I can just figure out why Milka has started to go in the house I will be fine.

Time for some breakfast and coffee before I head to the laundry room. Oh and Dave just asked me to trim his hair and he always takes a shower afterward. Have a great day everyone!
        Carlie

Comment

• Flygirl
          Flygirl commented
          Editing a comment
          13 degrees. Oh my! and here I am complaining how cold I am at 55 degrees

• CarlieBlilie
          CarlieBlilie commented
          Editing a comment
          We made it to 40 today, maybe a little higher. I wasn’t paying attention to the temp that much. Sun is now going down. This has been a rather warm winter so far.

• Simply Quilting
          Simply Quilting commented
          Editing a comment
          I am wondering if they really have that many cavities. We have dealt with a dentist that I am still fuming over as we found out that the children didn't have as many cavities as he had told us. Basically, because we have great dental insurance, he would say that the children had cavities when there were not that many or none.

Good Morning to all. Man oh man the winds were horrible yesterday/last night and will continue through part of today. Blew over my glass top patio table. I am so surprised the glass didn't break. But it will just have to sit on the concrete patio until my son can stop by and pick it back up. Too big and heavy for me to do. So may table is now upright and nekked on top. My fence is on its last leg but that booger is still standing.. well not standing, I have it propped up and then also tied to the tree. This summer it has to come down along with the trees. Pity to cut down a magnolia tree but it has to go.

The wrestling match is over with the little houses quilt. There are places where it has little nips and tucks, but when washed and dried, one will never ever notice. And I do claim victory!

No real plans today, of course sewing room needs to be cleaned up ... but it seems like that is always the case. I am not a tidy when sewing.

Hugs to all.

Comment

• Rhonda K
          Rhonda K commented
          Editing a comment
          So sorry about your fence and that magnolia tree. They are one of my favorite flowers. Congrats on your quilt finish!

Good Morning All,

I didn't get much done around the house yesterday. Mike and I left around 11 to go to my 10 long arm appt. We stopped at the delicious St. Mary's and More. I had crab cakes and Mike had oysters.

I dropped off the two quilts. Wesley's is being done with a floral pattern and a purple thread. Dot's is more of a filigree pattern and I'm using a tan that blends in fairly well to the backing and sashing. They should be done in three weeks. I'll mail them to Dot after that.

After dropping those off, Mike went straight to Office Max to take his training test. That took a LONG time! I went through Michael's several times, once a lady came and asked me if I needed help finding something. lol, nope, killing time. I went to the car and charged my phone since it was dead.

Mike treated us to donuts on the way home. Shipley's Donuts. We just got one each. He got an apple filled and I got a chocolate/ walnut frosted. Delicious!

We didn't do a whole lot after all of that. He went to bed early, since he had to be at work at 7 this morning.

I'm going to get busy, back in the sewing room. Fabric came in yesterday. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I'm thinking maybe a pouch like Missy did yesterday. I'll need to get a pretty zipper!

Have a great day!

Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• KarenC
          KarenC commented
          Editing a comment
          I love Shipley donuts. Didn't realize that they were in FL. When those glaze donuts are fresh, there is no way to eat just one. It's like Lays potato chips. haha

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          Karen, They've just opened up in the last couple of weeks. I thought they were very good, even better that I didn't have to pay for them.

Morning all!

I decided to buy the DD today. I haven't tried to buy it for several months when they substituted what I bought the last time so we'll see if this holds. I really liked the look of the fabric.

Patsy escaped again last night. She normally meets Cheryl at the door, but for some reason decided to run out the door. Cheryl had a pizza in her hands, so she wasn't able to stop her. We both ran outside and I yelled "Patsy," which stopped her, allowing Cheryl to catch her. This is the second time she's done that. The pizza Cheryl brought home was a gift from one of the hospital administrators. They had their monthly staff meeting and had some pizzas left over, so Cheryl's boss told her to take one home. It's been months since I had a take-out pizza (fat and sodium) but I decided that I would blow my diet one evening. It was good, but today I've got to make sure what I eat makes up for yesterday.

Monique, interesting you mention the dentist. I've got to establish a relationship with a dentist here. I had a dentist that I really liked where we used to live, but it's too big a hassle to drive over there for everyday things. I had to figure out who took Cheryl's insurance, and I think I've found one. I'm in no hurry to call them, however, because I hate going to the dentist. It amazes me how many people have had bad experiences as children with dentists. That's why my teeth are so pathetic now. If you look at early pictures of my mother, she isn't smiling in any of them. I always thought it was because she had a bad childhood. I later found out that it was because she was ashamed of the way her teeth looked. Even in her high school picture she looks sullen. When she got out on her own she had the dentist pull every tooth in her head and started wearing dentures. She regretted having that done, but all the pictures she is in after that she is smiling.

Will watch the inauguration today. Ever since 1981 when Mom let me skip school I have watched the ceremonies live. From college to jobs (I actually would take a personal day so I could watch) it's been a tradition.

I sewed the final blocks that I could do without having the Accuquilt die yesterday. Hopefully it will get here either today or tomorrow so I can get everything else cut out. It's going to be a new thing trying to sew a square on point block. I may try it with some leftover fabric before using the good stuff.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Rob
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
          Editing a comment
          DH & I are watching the inauguration -- bringing me to tears early one. For DH it's hope that his native land will come together as the United States, not the divided states of recent years.

• Rob the HOAQ
          Rob the HOAQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not a praying person, but to that I definitely say Amen!

Rob

Good morning,

It's still quiet here. I need to get DH up and started with the day. It is an office day for me to catch up since I didn't get there yesterday. Hopefully, a little bit of stitching later as it soothes the soul.

Our appointment yesterday was disappointing as the special brace didn't fit in either pair of shoes we had taken and the doctor didn't know what to do about it. This started in November and involved numerous phone calls and still lack of communication from them. We are ready to move on and handle the situation directly. I will take him to the shoe store for a fitting so he can get the attention that he needs. We tried an on line order but those shoes will be returned due to fit.

Hope your day is a great one. Happy Stitches to all!

Comment

Good morning!

We had snow overnight and a peek of sunshine this morning. Today will be cold, with a high in the upper 20's. Joy is so lucky to have >300 sunny days a year. We average 166!

My package from M* arrived yesterday! I am looking forward to getting back in the sewing room this weekend. I will work on sandwiching the one quilt and starting the quilting, too.

I got an email from the boss's assistant yesterday -- the boss wants us back on rotation in February. I will have to be on site every other Monday. I am not happy about this. Before we closed for winter break, we were getting emails every day about a Covid exposure at one of our locations. It makes me very nervous. I can't say no, though. Well, I could -- but that would require a doctor's note and a request for reasonable accommodation. Which I am not eligible for. Here's hoping the vaccine is available sooner rather than later!

I went to Fresh Thyme yesterday and stopped at the Dollar Tree on the way home. The guy who worked the register was very cheerful. I haven't been the dollar store for months. I always buy my wrapping paper and gift bags there.

Time for a cup of tea and to get back to work. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• MSN
            MSN commented
            Editing a comment
            Julie, I understand your concern about returning to the workplace. Does your company have protocols in place to keep employees safe? In particular, a mask mandate that is enforced at all times, and a place to take breaks and eat and drink without anyone else around. I have worked on site full time throughout this pandemic, and been OK. But I NEVER take my mask off, even for a sip of water, unless I am away from everyone. Good luck!

It is a very Good Day! A quilter just posted this for our New Day.

brand new day quilt.jpg
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

The weather folks claim a few days of sun, a few of rain, and snow by Monday.
          I'll need to go find the bigger water trough for the bucks so I can put the heater in it. We give them a smaller bucket because this time of year, their beards foul the water pretty quickly. The heaters keep the water from freezing. Now if I can only get hubby to get a heater for the chicken's waterer.
          Yesterday went pretty good for our new batch of kids coming to school. We only had one without an attestation form where we couldn't reach the parent. We had one who tried to drop off a 3rd grader, claiming the teacher told her to.
          We have to go swap out Em's school Chromebook after work today. They were supposed to do that in September, but it took this long to get that sorted. They were pretty hammered when they were assigned to them 5 years ago. She will be happy to have one that opens and shuts without an intricate procedure to keep the screen in the frame.
          I'm hoping that I can get some time in the sewing room today. I have some pretty simple stuff waiting on the table for some attention.

Time to get through the shower and get to school.
          Have a good one!
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Good day everyone,
            Its been a busy few days -- I finished quilting and binding the Hanging Gardens quilt and the Cardinals quilt. (Pics posted under my 2021 Quilts Album). I also started another panel quilt, almost done at my guild's sew day on Monday, Yesterday -- it was time for a whole house clean up. Dust, pick up and put away items not in their place, swiffer and vaccum floors & soft surfaces, cen 4 bathrooms and laundry. I was wiped, but it had to be done. Hopefully it will stay clean for at least a week. Having 2 cats is a challenge to keep the hair balls from becoming rolling dust kangaroos.

Today, I am glued to the TV watching the inauguration with DH. It is moving us to tears, and gives us hope that the US we had previously known will be restored to a nation that shows leadership and deserves respect. I loved the performances by Lady Gaga (don't care for pink skirt), JLo and Garth Brooks.

After that, I plan to make some frozen meals for my daughter.

Take care everyone, be safe and enjoy your day.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
              Editing a comment
              I think the reds must have been showing a fushia pink on my TV -- probably need to adjust. I couldn't believe that many people wore pink.

• Rob the HOAQ
              Rob the HOAQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I liked how the firefighter signed the Pledge of Allegiance. And Amanda Gorman gives me hope for the youth of America.

Rob

• JCY
              JCY commented
              Editing a comment
              Suzanne ~ Lady Gaga's skirt on our TV was bright red! Maybe a difference in monitor's? She really belted out the national anthem. All the music was great.
          Working...
          X