Saturday Morning Greetings! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday Morning Greetings! :)

Good Morning, Everyone ~ I don't have much to share this a.m. I took it easy again yest. My major accomplishment was one load of laundry. After a morning low of 22 & frost, it warmed up to 50 deg. & was sunny & nice. Today it won't get out of the 30's with a slight chance of a little snow.

Oh ~ my other activity yest. was to return a call from a distant cousin who called me last week & left a message wanting to connect. We ended up talking almost 90 min. Her grandma was the sister to my grandma. Her mom used to babysit me when I was a baby. And she was named after me. Her middle name is the same as my first name. We talked about family relationships & got acquainted. It was an interesting conversation, plus I learned more about my family. We plan to stay in touch.

I have a table runner in progress. I'd like to get back to that. I need to piece the backing.

No more time now. Have a great Saturday!

Good Morning. It’s going to be another cold dreary day. All of our snow is gone for now. I ordered gas for our propane tank yesterday but they can’t come out until next week.

Joy, glad to hear you slowed down yesterday and that you connected with your cousin.

I will be cooking meat for dog food this morning. I may bake something for Jeff also. The pan of brownies I made a few days ago is gone.

I did a little more cutting for Criss-Cross Star blocks. They sew up in no time and are so cute. The cutting is a slow process because of my hands. I guess I need to teach Jeff how to use the rotary cutter so he can help me. I can already tell that today I won’t be doing any cutting. The cutting would go quicker if I was using yardage but I’m cutting down charm squares.

Wishing everyone a blessed day....Hugs.
    Last edited by Bubby; January 9, 2021, 07:36 AM.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Barb have you thought about an accuquilt? I have the baby go. It's what i wanted to invest at the time. They have dies for common cuts that might help.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish you lived close. I'd be happy to do your cutting for you, Barb.

• Bubby
      Bubby commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Heike. On better days if my meds help I can cut for a while. I don’t have room for a die cutter and I don’t think I particularly want to invest in one.

Good morning! The dark grey skies here have taken all inspiration from me. I have a big mask order to do, but that past few days have taken motivation away, and the snuggly quilt and I have spent much time together.

A dear friend called yesterday, we had a nice chat. Haven’t chatted with her since summer. Another friend who moved away was planning on dropping by, but I warned her I would be busy attending a virtual funeral service of a very close friend who died Dec. 23 of COVID complications. Wow! The service lasted over an hour with two very moving eulogies. He and his wife were/are musicians, they added several prerecorded (by them) and VERY MEANINGFUL musical interludes in the ceremony. I found myself sobbing uncontrollably during these. Music, especially worship music has been a part of my life since I was 10. To lose that during this pandemic hurts like losing a good friend. I think I was crying for the loss of both of those, my friend and my music. I was like a wet noodle after that, so the snuggly quilt and I spent more time together. Then late afternoon brought the last broadcast of Jeopardy with Alex Trebek as host. More tears! I watch Jeopardy every day, so to say I am a fan is an understatement! More Kleenex used. Think I need to shop for a new supply of Kleenex.

Hope I can get motivated to make some masks, at least to get some cut out. That is always the first struggle!

have a good day!

Comment

• geegeequilts
      geegeequilts commented
      Editing a comment
      Jean, I'm so very sorry for your loss. Everything's harder now. Praying for you & your friend's families. Gina

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Jean ~ The music is there for the listening -- on YouTube! Most of my favorite groups have videos posted there. You can view individual songs or whole concerts. Mat & Savanna Shaw (father/dau. duo) who became a sensation on YT last year, still are recording their music. I also have a large music library -- CDs, cassettes, & LP albums (which we seldom play now). I have
      music playing in my sewing room when I work there. You also can watch the Gaithers every Sat. on the TBN network on TV.

• Cathy F
      Cathy F commented
      Editing a comment
      I find music very soothing in times of stress, sadness, or when I'm I'll. I listen to classical music on my disc player with my earphones.

Good Morning Joy and all that follow. Today I am getting to see my daugher and her crew. Yipeeeee. Late Christmas celebration. Have to be at my son's place around 9 and then varoooooooom the road trip starts. It's about 1-1/2 hour drive (freeways). Facetime has been great, but nothing like face to face visit. Been months since we have been able to do that. All of our social bubbles are super small (mine is like non existent).. but masks will still be worn and we will do social distance as much as we can. Not the time to let the guard down. My DIL is borrowing her mom's BIG suv so there will be more room too (3 adults and 2 grands).

Comment

• Rhonda K
      Rhonda K commented
      Editing a comment
      Have a wonderful day with your daughter and crew. It sounds like a fun celebration.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Have fun Mimi!

Good Morning All,

I've been up for a long time, 4 am. I did my yoga, Gabby slept on. Got back into bed. Gabby slept on. lol. She finally decided it was time for belly rubs around 7. It's been a slow morning. Mike's left for work and I have a stack of blocks to square up. I was laying them out on my bed last night. If I lay them on point, 10 blocks will make a nice size baby quilt. I have a bunch of blocks though. I guess a straight layout will do.

I ordered the backing fabric for Wesley's quilt and white background fabric. Not sure what for, but I know it will come in handy to have when I need it.

For some reason those stimulus checks are mailed to me instead of doing the direct deposit. Yesterday afternoon, Mike and I got in the drive through line, After the transaction he started pulling away. The teller, deposited the check twice. We couldn't back up, so around the building and back in line we went. Merciful heavens! What a pain! The teller had already caught her mistake and corrected it by the time we waited in line again and had my receipt ready. I'll check online to make sure everything is posted correctly. It will come in handy when I take these two big quilts to the long armer!

It's pretty grey outside this morning. Looks like a nice day to spend in sewing room!

Have a wonderful day.

Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Good Morning all,

Slow day yesterday and not much accomplished. I guess I felt a little lazy. I did get the cutouts mixed up and they will be baked today. Dave has been doing the finish work on the pedestals for the cutting station so he can only do a little work on it and then has to wait for things to dry. So he was getting bored and decided to get a puzzle out. So we both sat yesterday working on that for a while. It will be a while until it gets completed. I think we worked on it for a couple of hours. I may sit for a bit this morning after breakfast but then I will start on the cookies. I was going to make some chocolate chip cookies but found that I didn't have enough chocolate chips. Dave doesn't like a ton of chocolate chips in his cookies but this would have been less than half so I will be picking up some when I get groceries on Monday. I've been treating myself to some of the cookies the Jennifer left at Christmas (I put them in the freezer) for my treat for the night. I still have some left. Dave has not tried any of them, says she is not as good of a baker as I am, I think she is just trying to do too much at one time. Some of the cookies she brought look to me like they should have had more flour, they were too flat.

Nothing planned today except for the cookies. I'm hoping to get to the sewing room to work on the mystery quilt. We are half way through the clues so I want to make sure that I'm caught up, or at least close to it before Monday morning.

That's all for now, hope everyone has a great day.
      Carlie

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
        Momofmonsters5 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a very old cookie book by betty crocker that I swear by. They still sell it. I need to buy my boys a copy. Amazing chocolate chip cookie and brownie recipe in it.

• grammaterry
        grammaterry commented
        Editing a comment
        the flatness of a cookie has to do with the baking powder or soda...If you use too much then the bubble bursts and the cookies fall before they set. Thats why you can't double a recipe for baked goods without adjusting the levening. Just a tip

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        My hubby likes chocolate chip cookies without chipc the best.

Morning everyone.,

Getting ready to leave so Cheryl can get her second shot and then pick up our grocery order. Will have to make a second run tomorrow morning as Walmart is out of some things we need, plus there are other things we need that we can only get at the one store.

Did some more design work on the Basset Hound quilt. I think we are finally getting down to the final details on it. We still have some details to work out, but I'm hoping to get a final design in a couple of weeks. Also, I ordered the backing fabric for my great-nephew's wedding quilt. We got an invitation yesterday announcing that Cheryl's niece (her brother's daughter) will be getting married in June, so she is trying to come up with a quilt for her, so plenty to do in the sewing room.

We ordered our seeds and pre-ordered plants last night. Most of the seeds we ordered were ones we can't get around here. I ordered four hybrid tea roses that we will put in a new bed we plan to make this spring plus some Supertunias that we got last year that really did well. Should add that the plants obviously won't be shipped until they can be safely planted, but this way we reserve what we want before Jackson & Perkins runs out. We also are deciding what to do with the extra containers we will have once we put our current roses into the ground. We also ordered a deck box for the concrete pad that our porch steps. sit on With this we will be able to keep the charcoal close to the grill and store plant food and fertilizer instead of having to go to the yard barn and climb over the mower to get it. I'm hoping I will be more likely to use the Neem oil on the roses and feed the plants on a regular basis instead of thinking about it when I get the mower out to mow. We will pick up the box Monday.

Was trying to use a gift card last night and I had to get my magnifying glass to be able to read the numbers. I understand that things go downhill as one gets older, but I wasn't prepared for how I would react. I always made fun of Mom about having to wear trifocals, but now I'm the one whose eyesight is dropping. Jars seem especially hard to get open and an afternoon snooze every now and then is a welcome thing. I don't mind getting older, but I do mind not being 18 again, or at least being able to do what I did then. Of course this is nothing new for anyone, except for me, of course.

Have a great day everyone!

Rob
      Last edited by Rob the HOAQ; January 9, 2021, 09:08 AM.
      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
      --Ken Burns

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
        Rob the HOAQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw a jar opener on tv the other night, but while it looks interesting it seems to me that it is admitting defeat. Plus $20 for a jar opener just seems a bit much.

Thanks for trying, but no, it doesn't make me feel better.😁

Rob

• 201 Treadler
        201 Treadler commented
        Editing a comment
        cant help with the eyesight but have one of these it de vacuums the lid allowing it to turn https://www.amazon.com/Harold-Compan...233167&sr=8-19
        having right tools to make life easier is not defeat it is independence
        just think of all the automation these days done by speaking to a box connected to internet, that has helped may folks who struggle with getting down to sockets to switch lights on.
        helped non seeing people read, and know weather before going out.
        Last edited by 201 Treadler; January 9, 2021, 05:06 PM.

• Rob the HOAQ
        Rob the HOAQ commented
        Editing a comment
        That's true.

Good morning!

We have sunshine! The weather guy this morning said today is the first time in a month we have had more sun than clouds in the forecast. Temps are still cold, with a high near the upper 30's.

Mom had her first Covid vaccine yesterday. I'm going to call her facility today and she how she is doing. I don't anticipate any adverse effects.

Carlie: your hubby not liking a lot of chocolate chips in his cookies reminds me of when my mom used to bake. Mom was a child of the Depression and frugal. She would make chocolate chip cookies and we would be lucky if we got one chocolate chip in a cookie. We joked that she took one chocolate chip and grated it into the batter. 🤣

All the rows are put together on my current quilt project. I am looking forward to sewing the borders on today. Next on my list are the borders for the curvy log cabin and piecing the backing.

Time for a cup of tea. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

I love log cabin quilts, when I get back in the quilting room I think that will be my next project. Of course I have a Christmas quilt almost done, only the border to fmq so that will be really the first.
        Our roofers are back today, they only got to work about 2-3 hours yesterday before it rained. Today is gloomy but not really rainy so perhaps they will be able to finish all the banging, please🙄.
        I liked the quilt from yesterday, it really didn't look like it was from a layer cake, more like a three fabric quilt.

Comment

Good morning,

I promise it's a sewing day here. Plans changed yesterday so not much was accomplished. The intentions were there though. I may bring some scraps out to the table to cut while watching football. Football games until late tonight. I can't sit that long.

Laundry is started. It works better if I do smaller loads. Wash, dry and done for the day. Lunch with DD is re-scheduled for a couple of weeks. I've been having heartburn and want to get it under control so boring will be better for me. We were planning a visit to her favorite hibachi grill for a fun lunch. It will be there later to enjoy.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Comment

Good morning!

We woke up to fog, again, but it is slowly clearing. Saturday chores will keep me busy this morning but this afternoon I shall be in sewing room finishing up the Bonnie Hunter mystery. The reveal was yesterday so assembling I shall go!

We hooked up by video chat with a good friends in Kentucky yesterday. It was fun to take a video tour of each of our homes and share. We laughed a lot so that felt good when there hasn’t been much to laugh about lately.

My new quilt ladder was delivered yesterday so that was fun setting that up in guest room and deciding which quilts to hang on it. I’ll rotate them over time...lol..

Have a great day, everyone. Be safe for those traveling today.
            "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I finished the double wedding ring a few days ago. FMQ went spectacularly well considering my small table. lol' I cuddled up under it yesterday for a nap. I'm proud of the job well done. It inspired me to start another so I cut out a log cabin with what fabric I brought with me. It was a close cut to have enough of the same colors but managed to put together 48 12 1/2 inch blocks. Then to square them without a cutting mat. The one I brought is a 12 inch square. Not good. So laying the mat on top of the squares made a perfect 12 1/2 inch square so I began to cut ontop of a formica leftover. Not good. Ruined two rotary blades...what a wonder, right?...so the last 16 blocks I drew the lines and cut with scissors. This is a truly old fashioned quilt. But anyway...more inspiration...I may try to find a blade and inexpensive mat and cut out another pattern or maybe do a chaos quilt with the scraps I have accumulated this year...might be fun....I'm just not ready to fmq so soon. I really enjoyed the piecing this time, so we will see.'
              I baked bread and made ham and pinto beans yestereday. That was good. In a couple of days I'll turn the leftover into chili. Today...maybe a deer roast??
              Sun is shining...little cold...but cheeerful.
              DH seems to have broken a bone in his foot but won't go to a doctor. He is convinced they can't do anything for it. I told him I thought it might be prudent to at least go check since we pay for all that insurance. But, I can't force him. Oh well...
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

• JCY
                JCY commented
                Editing a comment
                Terry ~ Can you show up pics of your wedding ring quilt? Good to hear from you.

• grammaterry
                grammaterry commented
                Editing a comment
                I have them on my phone and will try to get them to the computer. I haven't been able to make the phone pics work on the forum

Good Morning!! Happy Saturday. I plan to work on projects today. Not sure which ones yet. I really have so many going. I really want to play with my embroidery but i keep telling myself finish other stuff first!! My goal is to finish all UFO's in 2021 so 2022 it will solely be about quilting all tops that are in the que. There's about 20 now butbwill increase to 30 plus once I complete the quilts started!! Then off they will go to where they need to be!! I have a few for me but I am a sucker if one of my family members see it and want it...

Anyway, I hope everyone has avery quilty day!!

Rachel

Comment

Good morning everyone!

Yesterday was a good day. I got a surprise call from dad's home that they were giving everyone the covid shot. They had extras and were asking essential visitors if they wanted to get theirs. So, both hubby and I got ours, as apparently they still had some left and the Director of Care said unfortunately the ones not used would be wasted, which seems like such a shame to me. Anyways, we got our first of two and were very happy to get them, as we would have been waiting a few months still for our turn. My arm is a bit sore and I slept long last night but other than that I feel fine. My mama was extremely happy to hesr we got them so soon.

The realtor called last night. We got an offer on the apartment...asking price! Naturally mama accepted and I did the paperwork online with the realtor. Hopefully that will go through. Also applied for recovery benefits for us all. Bonus money, why not!

No sewing got done yesterday. Maybe today. I'm wanting to make a Valentine's mini quilt wallhanging. Trying to decide on a pattern or make one.

Have a wonderful day everyone! Stay happy, healthy and safe!
                Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's great news about the vaccine shots. Mom was getting hers today. Staff got their 2nd shot last week. Those signed up as care providers were eligible for the shot, but I can't commit to going there everyday. Great news for sale of apartment -- one less thing to worry about.

• Rhonda K
                  Rhonda K commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congrats on the sale and best wishes for closing. Great news that you were able to get the vaccine too.

• Hillbillyhike
                  Hillbillyhike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks ladies! It'll be great to end that chapter and have that checked off my list.

I've been reading but haven't taken the time lately to say anything here. So, Hello!
                I just got back from Home Depot, Macy's, and the dollar store. The contractor was here on Thursday to take a look at the hall bath upstairs. He said it will most likely not be done till February. That's ok, we aren't in any hurry. We also are going to have the living room carpet taken up and vinyl plank flooring put in. Our adjacent wine room already has the plank flooring so he's going to try to match that. I'd really like a lighter color flooring than that (very dark brown) but the expense of adding another whole room to the project may be too much. We'll see what he quotes us. I looked at flooring in Home Depot and they have some nice stuff. I just don't know what the other expenses will be for whatever is needed for the installation. I'm sure we will probably need new baseboards. I don't know what else.
                Mike wants a chocolate cake so I guess I'll make a Ho-Ho cake this afternoon. Unfortunately, I love chocolate cake so I'll be eating some of it, too! Time to get busy with that. Then maybe, maybe I'll get into my sewing room with Valley Blossoms!
                Have a happy day!
                ~ Carol from PA

Comment

• Bubby
                  Bubby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good to see you back with us, Carol.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sometimes they put an underlay liner under the wood. Baseboards and quarter rounds.
              Working...
              X