It's Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Tuesday

Good morning friends. I had a good work day but didn't do much of anything after I got home. I did stop for our medications that I had ordered the day before, and picked up some bird seed as well. I also wanted to pay for my renewal for our local newspaper but the office is closed because of covid. Well I talked to the secretary into just taking my debit card and tap it to pay my bill. DONE!! You have to love small towns, don't you. I could have paid by cheque but I would rather pay right now. If I didn't trust her I would not have given her my card to start with. I bought myself what they call a 'newfoundland poutine'. OMG!! It was huge and yes I made a pig of myself and ate the whole thing. It was french fries on the bottom, covered with cheese curds, chicken and stuffing all smothered with gravy. I think I am still full this morning, lol!!

I did call my doctor's office and have an appointment next week. I am having issues with my left hip/groin. It is very painful to lift my leg up and sleeping on that side is very uncomfortable.

I am so looking forward to the weekend when my girlfriend and I are having sewing time together.

Not much else going on except work work work. I may get motivated to cut off the excess and start the binding for the memory quilt. We shall see later today.

Have a great day friends. Stay safe and stay healthy.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Good morning Monique and all who moon in....

On Monique, I sure hope it’s not serious with your hip......I’ll keep you in my prayers. 💕
    I’ve heard of poutine, but not the one you described.....sounds like a heart attack, but oh so delicious 😋. I’m always hungry for something “different.” This past weekend I made a Tourtière. Suzanne had mentioned it in a post....and I was off hunting for a recipe. Oh my...there’s sure a lot of them out there. I settled on one and oh my, it was worth it!

Hope today goes well,for you and your hip doesn’t bother you too much.

Not much planned for today, maybe some shopping....I’m liking shopping in the am, before everyone shows up!

Hope everyone has a marvelous day ❣️❣️
    💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

• Mary Lynn
      Mary Lynn commented
      Editing a comment
      You don’t know how good it is till you try it. Started having gravy on fries back in high school.

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm. Well have you ever tried ketchup on french fries?! It's the best!

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Gravy, mmmmm..ketchup..mmmm....mayonaise is the best! That's how we Europeans grew up eating them!

Good morning! Yesterday, our grand kids finally rec'd their Christmas package from us. I mailed it priority mail on Dec 11th, so it took 3 weeks and 3 days to get to Colorado...and this was after I emailed USPS when it got stuck in Mississippi for a week. Monique, I hope all goes well at the dr. next week. I need to call the dentist for an appointment to fix a broken tooth. I had painful experiences at the dentist as a child and I'm a little phobic now. I need to find out if they require a Covid test.
    I made a quilt block yesterday! First time in months. I've got one more block to make then I'll have enough for a quilt top. Maybe I can break out of this slump.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Imtoo have dental phobia from bad childhood experiences. Not fun! Good luck with your appointment. Theyve come a long way since childhood!

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      I also had dental phobia, as my parents did not believe in check-ups, so trips to the dentist were painful -- usually fillings and sitting in a chair, which felt like hours. Later, I learned to conquer my fear and as they say, keep your enemies close or in this case they became friends, I worked for the Canadian Dental Assn for over a decade, and never had fears, except when I cracked a tooth at a convention -- I had way too many offers to fix it. I wasn't in pain, so waited until I got back home to see my own dentist.

Good morning everyone!

Monique...hope you can find a comfortable position and some pain free rest. Aches and pains are no fun! Your poutine binge sounds amazing! 😍

Lately I've been staying up later, and sleeping in, with hubby. I've amazed myself! Lol. Tonight we haven't actually been to bed yet, ha! I feel it's not far off as typing is difficult and my silly brain is getting tired lol. Yesterday ( which is sort of still today lol) I did some house chores, got a grocery list done online amd sewed scraps with a new product. I will post about it, as I have questions. Tomorrow, which is today, lol. See! I clearly need sleep. Lol.

Today (tomorrow lol) I'm going to pick up groceries amd see Mama. We will have a virtual chat together with Dad. I will do a clean clothes drop off amd pick up her dirty laundry to do. If time I will figure out what else to make with scraps. I am seriously thinking about the bed quilts. They will get done soon.

Have a wonderful day everyone! Stay happy, healthy and safe! Happy new year and good night! Lol
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Good morning everyone. I've been awake since 4am, couldn't sleep. I got about an hour of sleep total between all the tossing and turning. Isn't insomnia just the pits?
      We've got our typical winter weather pattern here, 30's and cloudy. Great weather to stay in and sew. I'm working on the January project for the fabulous finishing group. It's Jenny's Irish Change and I'm using a pretty floral layer cake called Victoria from 3 Sisters.
      Hope everyone has a peaceful day.
      Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

• Bubby
        Bubby commented
        Editing a comment
        I love 3 Sisters fabrics. I used Rue 1800 for my Irish Change quilt. Can’t wait to see yours.

• Momofmonsters5
        Momofmonsters5 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have insomnia too...it sucks and is draining.

• Rob the HOAQ
        Rob the HOAQ commented
        Editing a comment
        For me insomnia is almost a way of life. Kind of like the old Hee Haw skit "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all." Definitely not fun.

Originally posted by MRoy View Post
      Good morning! Yesterday, our grand kids finally rec'd their Christmas package from us. I mailed it priority mail on Dec 11th, so it took 3 weeks and 3 days to get to Colorado...and this was after I emailed USPS when it got stuck in Mississippi for a week. Monique, I hope all goes well at the dr. next week. I need to call the dentist for an appointment to fix a broken tooth. I had painful experiences at the dentist as a child and I'm a little phobic now. I need to find out if they require a Covid test.
      I made a quilt block yesterday! First time in months. I've got one more block to make then I'll have enough for a quilt top. Maybe I can break out of this slump.
      I'm interested to know more about your email to the USPS. Where did you get the emall address?
      I mailed a package on the 14th from Millersville MD - it has been all over the state and has been stuck in District Heights MD for the past 15 days. Sadly it is a package of masks for a dear friend in Selbyille DE who is undergoing treatment for bone cancer and ask me to make him a bunch to wear to his treatments. I'm about to pull my hair out!!!!

Comment

• Bubby
        Bubby commented
        Editing a comment
        Carol, If you mailed your package and have a tracking number on the receipt, call your local Postmaster. He/she will track it and keep you informed until your package arrives. I had to do this once last year and it worked out great.

• MRoy
        MRoy commented
        Editing a comment
        Here's the link - https://usps.force.com/emailus/s/ I called my local post office twice and all they did was tell me was there is a huge backlog, please be patient. When the pkg arrived in Oxford MS, all tracking updates stopped. That's when I emailed USPS. I requested all responses be by email in order to have a paper trail. Within 2 days of contacting USPS, the pkg was moving again.

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Monique ~ I rarely eat french fries. White potatoes have a high glycemic index & shoot up my blood sugar. Regarding your hip, I wonder if you could be having Iliotibial Band Syndrome, which is what I've been dealing with since spring. You might want to see an orthopedic dr.

I watched more of Lori Holt's videos yest.; one was all about her new sewing space & how she has things organized. I worked on my Bible study lesson; our group resumes on Zoom again tomorrow. I placed an order with Amazon & another with Walmart--to be picked up in the store. It's ready. I need to pick it up within 4 days.

We had a sunny day and 57 deg. yest. We moved here in Jan., 1978. We were amazed at all the mild & sunny days. One day DH washed the car & without thinking, we left the hose connected. We weren't yet used to the great temp. swings. Warm during the day, cold at night. The water froze behind the faucet. The next time that faucet got turned on, we had water pouring into the bsmt.! What a mess. A plumber had to cut an opening in the finished sheet rock in that BR to access the pipe. Lesson learned.

Regarding dental work: The dentists here are not requiring neg. covid tests. They just ask those routine questions & take your temp. One has to wear a mask except when the dental work is being done. The dentist wears a mask & a face shield.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
        Momofmonsters5 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was born jan 13th 1978 lol when I read that just had to comment.

• Nwmnteacher
        Nwmnteacher commented
        Editing a comment
        Joy, isn't Lori Holt's sewing room simply to die for?!!

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        Lori's sewing room is very well organized. It seemed a bit claustrophobic to me. An awful lot is fit into a small room. I happen to be a person who needs more space. But it certainly works for her. Did you notice she was barefoot? I wish my scraps were so well organized! That's on my to-do list.

Good morning!

Cloudy and cold are the weather words here, with a high around 34. There is a slight chance of light snow. Not bad for Ohio in January. I have to run up to Fresh Thyme this morning for the bunny's weekly stash of greens.

My Etsy order arrived yesterday! It took about a week longer than normal. Now that I have the border fabric, I should be able to get the quilt top done this weekend. I put a couple of rows together last night. The seam ripper and I were good friends. The blocks are sashed but do not have cornerstones in the sashing between the rows. I had an issue with the vertical sashing not lining up. I'm not going to say the third time was the charm. After the third try, I simply decided that was as close as I was going to get and called it a night.

Time for another cup of tea and to log in to work. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

Good Morning all,

We had a very warm day yesterday, in the 40's. I can't believe it was so warm. We are supposed to be above average for the next week with no precip in sight right now. Today is a trip to Jennifer's. She has another appointment for laser treatment, this time her right eye. I get to take care of the new little one, Izzy. She just started this week. Jennifer said she just got off oxygen so they are concerned about exposure to colds, etc. so I will need to wear a mask with her. No problem. She may just be sleeping when I'm there anyway.

I got a little more cutting done for the mystery quilt. No sewing done yet. So far I cut up 12 fat quarters into 1 1/4" strips, 3x3, 2 1/4 x 2, 2 x 3 3/4 and then there is the 1 1/4" strips from a 1 1/4 yard of material. Lots of cutting and I still have the 2 1/2 yards to cut. Lots of smaller pieces. I probably won't get to that today with our trip to Jennifer's. I'm assuming we won't be home until 6:30 or 7 tonight. We will be leaving here around noon.

Nothing else much planned, have a great day everyone!
        Carlie

Comment

Good morning friends! Typical January weather here, yesterday it was foggy till mid day, today clear and cold. Today I work with our senior sewing group we are making fruit pie hot pads. I’ve presewn the top and bottoms together using my machine with the built in walking foot. I never have been a fan of walking feet because they are so clunky and noisy. This machine has a regular 9mm foot but also has one that is narrow for straight stitching. Wow! It is slick! I’ll be using it a lot more!

Trying to get paperwork together to refinance my home mortgage. Not sure I can rustle up what they want but I’ll give it a shot! Plus, I need to prepare our subdivision’s bill for 2021 HOA dues. I am the trustee. We are just one street/court, so it isn’t a big job, just need to prepare a “State of the court” report to go along with the bill.

I am trying to gather ideas for my sewing group to do in future meetings. Their sewing skills are all over the map, several worked in sewing factories as their career, some are just learning. They struggle with written directions, and some need to have their hand held all the way! So i have a couple of Valentine ideas and then going to try to help them make the MoStar Improv Tote. I have many orphan jelly rolls I put together in sets for this. Hope it goes ok. Do you have any suggestions for easy 2-3 hour projects we could try? We’ve done rag quilts, falling charm quilt, charm square quilts. Kitchen stuff made with kitchen towels (aprons, towel scarves) folded star trivets. A couple of the ladies did jelly roll/strip quilts. We are running out of fabrics to use, so the other leader and I are raiding our huge stashes. Not a problem to me to reduce some of mine!

i found a place at the top of my linen closet to store my Christmas quilts. They were scattered in various closets in the past and on occasion were “lost”. Now they are all together. I have 7 Christmas quilts of various sizes and vintages with plans for a couple more! I love Christmas colors!

Mail from me to Atlanta never made it 19 days so far. Seeing many of you have had similar problems, I still have hope it will make it some day.

Hope you all have a great day!

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          I love coasters. The ones thay are 6 5 inch squares and one square of batting. You have the under side and lining the others are ironed into triangles and interlaced. They are fun to put together. If they did 4 it would take the time or even more for the more advanced.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NG9-2f9iilg

• Mimi_Howard
          Mimi_Howard commented
          Editing a comment
          Small projects: eyeglass case, enevelop type wallet (snap/velcro), tissue holder, small finger tip type pot holders - I use them for lifting hot handle lids off my pots, sleeping masks, fabric boxes, pillow cases (regular and sham type - fold over backing), I use sham type design for everyday sleeping pillows, keeps pillow from sliding out, baby bibs or adult bibs ..

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
          Editing a comment
          It does seem that US postal is slow, even from/to Canada. It infuriates DH as IRS keep sending him late charges fees due a few weeks earlier.

Good Morning All,

It's sunny and in the 40s this morning. Last night, I listened and listened waiting for the heat to come on. It finally turned on around 11:30. Whoot whoot! That unit is so quiet! I think I'm in love! Now if it will stay that way!

Mike came home just in time for directions.

Pour 1/4 c of vinegar into here every other month to clean out the sludge from ??????? in the back.

Just 1/4 c? ok,

yeah and you probably won't have to worry about doing that for 5 years.

UH?????????? OK I put it on the calendar to do every other month on the first when Gabby gets her preventative meds.

The inspector is backed up, they probably won't show up for 6 months....

Do you have the paperwork I'm supposed to hang on the door?

Nope, they'll have it.

Will they call so I can be sure to be home?

????? They may just sign it off, they're so far behind.

Insert palm to face here.

Anyway, while they worked I did my yoga for the day and sandwiched the baby quilt. I started on it. Mercy, I'd bought high loft batting to use in the SS for this month. I know why I don't like high loft in combination with a flannel backing. It's going to be work to get this quilt finished. I did stitch in the ditch between the blocks. The real quilting starts today. I also started playing with the twist blocks. Not sure how I want to lay them out.

All in all, it was a productive day. Mike has an appointment to get his new tag today. He wants to buy a new phone. His won't charge beyond 80%. He uses it all the time, so I can see why it's worn out. Some days it takes a couple of tries to get mine charged up, then others it charges up on one go. Who knows, I guess I should be getting ready to look for a new one too.

Howard's Aunt Jean has covid. She turned 93 in Nov. She's the oldest of my MIL's sisters. She went to her daughter's for Christmas. She and her husband have it too. Main thing now is to keep Aunt Alma from catching it since she lives across the street from Jean and would do what ever it took to take care of her big sister. If you'd lift a prayer or two for the two stubborn old ladies, I'd appreciate it. They've isolated most of the year and stayed healthy, but Barbara insisted Jean come to her house for Christmas. I'm sure there's a lot of guilt going on there. Norris is in the hospital covid unit. What a mess!

Well, time to refill my coffee cup and figure out what I can do while Mike's still sleeping. Have a wonderful day!
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
          Jean Sewing Machine commented
          Editing a comment
          Inspector here for my new deck didn’t see something on the deck that was on the plans so he wouldn’t sign off. Then Thanksgiving and a couple of COVID quarantines pushed it off more weeks. Someone finally oked it verbally but I have no proof. Nothing signed! Frustrating.

• Rhonda K
          Rhonda K commented
          Editing a comment
          You sure needed a yoga moment after that conversation!
          Prayers for the ladies & Norris too.

Good morning all.

Today I plan to go through my stash and determine what fabric I will use for the background and the four patches. Eventually I will make a sample block to decide if a 12 inch block will be the right size. I am leaning towards a cream for the background and a little darker for the four patch, but I won't make the final decision until I get the red and the blue heart fabrics from Hancock's of Paducah so I can compare apples to apples.

Had a weird thing happen with Patsy yesterday. I've mentioned before that she has some fear of a thermometer that I've never been able to figure out. Yesterday I thought she was in the bedroom so I took my temp. Turns out she was right next to my chair. She bolted into the sewing room and hid behind Cheryl's chair. I let her stay there for a while and then decided to take her outside. She went out OK, but afterwards she usually wants to jump on my lap. This time she didn't.

I got a couple of treats out of the cabinet and tried to coax her up there but she wouldn't budge. Finally she decided to jump but when I started to pet her (which she loves almost as much as a belly rub) I noticed she was shaking, almost shivering. I spoke to her as soothingly as I could and eventually she stopped, but it was really strange.

It wasn't like she tried to avoid me because she sat by my chair in the office like she always does and wanted me to pet her often, but it took a while for her to want to jump onto my lap. So now I make sure she's not around before taking my temp.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Rob
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

• pcbatiks
          pcbatiks commented
          Editing a comment
          Does the thermometer have a high pitched beeping sound? Maybe she doesn’t like the beeping.

• Rob the HOAQ
          Rob the HOAQ commented
          Editing a comment
          To be honest I don't know if you could classify it that way or not. What strikes me as even odder is that my blood sugar monitor is louder than the thermometer and she's just fine with it. I did some reading earlier today and discovered that many dogs are fearful of smoke alarm beeps (when the battery is low) among other things, so evidently she's not an outlier.

Rob

• jjkaiser
          jjkaiser commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Patsy can see pretty good with only one eye!! My bassett, Norman, used to be terrified of paper bags from the grocery store. If you put one on the floor, whether empty or full, he would shake like a leaf. Never figured that out either.

After being injured and sick since June, I'm finally getting the energy and motivation to be sewing. I've been working on a kit that I purchased in the summer but didn't start until December. It's called Dragons and is by Jason Yenter. The fabric has been a joy to work with. The top is finished and I started prepping the backing.
        In the middle of December we got hit with that mega snow storm and it dumped 27 inches of snow on us. All that weight was enough to rip our gutters right off of the house. A few days later we got over 2 inches of rain. Our basement flooded but we had enough notice that we took everything off of the floor. Our two dehumidifiers chug away 24/7. This year needs to be better.
        Here's a pic of the quilt top.
        Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 12.37.45 PM.png
        Barbara

Comment

• KarenC
          KarenC commented
          Editing a comment
          This is stunning!

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have been drooling over this quilt for months ....I was waiting for the holidays to pass. I love it in the blue colorway as well. I think that's the one I'm going to do.

• Rhonda K
          Rhonda K commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks like they are going to fly right off the quilt. So pretty! Glad you are feeling better and sewing again!

Barbara, that is beautiful! Great job. Gina

Comment

• jjkaiser
          jjkaiser commented
          Editing a comment
          That is fabulous! Is that a Jinny Beyer border print? Looks like her style. So sorry about all your troubles. Let's see, sick that's one, snow that's two, flood that's three so okay I guess the coast is clear for you now. But you have been through alot! Hope 2021 is good to you.

Good afternoon everyone,

Well I'm not getting any better at getting up and going in the morning. I do rise by 8am, but DH sleeps in, so I drink coffee and do quiet household chores. Then I get noisy, so I can get showered. It was just before noon today. I did talk to mom before lunch. They had not delivered the package I left for her yesterday. When I spoke to the staff they were going to get it, and open it with her and read her cards from people.

Monique -- I would love to try the Newfoundland poutine -- although I'm surprised it wasn't with cod and a béchamel sauce. I can only eat so much poutine, I always ask for 1/2 gravy and double up on curds.

I certainly have hopes that 2021 will be a better year, despite the rocky start. DH had allergic reaction celebrating the new year, and his back has been bothering him a lot more. Our neighbor cleaned the driveway the other day. Sunday I took down all the xmas decorations and carried all the bins and tree downstairs -- all put away for another year. Almost didn't feel like it was worth it since very few people saw any of it, except when we opened front door. Oh well, I will assess the amount of decorating I do next year. Monday was busy -- I had a virtual medical appointment with my doctor. I dropped off 4 VQC quilts I finished to my GF, she will pass along to another member to hand sew the binding. I also dropped off Shirley Temple DVDs to my GF, she's getting bored. Also dropped off stuff at mom's. I have been reading more about dementia -- and it is quite common to see little children and have hallucinations. I have to remind my mom that my GKs are not there, and it must be other noises. DH complains when we don't get mail. I think he should be careful what he asks for.

My daughter says the GS have been out with snowshoes but GD is not keen on it. Her other GM will bring her out today. I'm sure she will enjoy as she is athletic.

Today, I plan to start planning and cutting fabrics for the cardinal panel quilt. Nothing else very exciting, and that's ok with me.
        Last edited by SuzanneOrleansOntario; January 5, 2021, 02:39 PM.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
        X