Hello Saturday Jan 2 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Saturday Jan 2 2021

Good morning friends. I don't usually post on weekends but I was here anyways.

We had a very quiet day yesterday. We didn't have any visitors come by but may have today. I did laundry and changed the sheets on my bed. I made a pot of soup to last us the day. I wasn't cooking anything else. Put 4 baskets of clean clothes away. A busy day for sure. I had a wee nap in the afternoon. And that was it for me.

Not sure what today will bring. We did get a little snow last night so I don't expect I will be going anywhere today. Nothing really that I need. I need to check out the pattern that my girlfriend and I will be making on Wednesday and get stuff ready for that. AND it's her birthday as well.

Enjoy your 1st Saturday of 2021. Stay safe and stay healthy.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Hi, Monique, glad you got us started. I don't have much time, since chicken soup is on the agenda, & that's an all morning job. I went to the groc. store yest. for the chicken, 5 lb. carrots, & a few things. I did the veg. prep. yest. afternoon. So as soon a DH finishes his breakfast, I'll get the chicken cut up & on to cook.

I didn't do a whole lot yest. Got a call from my cousin. I didn't hear from her at Christmas, which was unusual. Her significant other, with whom she'd been for several yrs., died in Oct. With the pandemic & his death, she's been pretty bummed out this year. She lives in a retirement center, which under normal circumstances, would have many activities for the residents. The social isolation has been really hard on folks this past year.

It's supposed to be sunny & in the 40's today. It's only 18 deg. now. Time to get on with my day.

Comment

Good Morning All,

My birdie alarm clock showed up this morning. Boy that thing is noisy.

I'll be calling the heat/ ac guy this morning. The unit outside my window sounded like an animal was getting beat in it last night. It took me quite a while to get back to sleep.

I'd purchased two jolly bars for baby quilts. I think I'm going to work on that today. I cut the pieces last night. I'll see how big it's going to be, no indication on the pattern that cake with the pack. It might be big enough for two baby quilts. We'll see.

Mike goes back to work today. It will be quiet, nobody pacing because he's bored and wants out of the house. lol

Have a great day!
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        What are jolly bars?

• KarenC
        KarenC commented
        Editing a comment
        Jollybars are precuts 5"x10". Think half a layer cake.

• KPH
        KPH commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh boy, heating/ac guy booked solid today. Tomorrow morning is the earliest they can come, and 'hate to tell you this, but cut the unit off.' Well, good thing is, it hasn't been as hot today, so it hasn't come on at all. There's a cold front moving through tonight, so if it gets too cold, I've got plenty of quilts to huddle under and a thermostat on my waterbed that I can turn up. I doubt that it will come to that! Hate that I'm going to miss church though.

Good morning,

Excited that it's Saturday and a fun adventure is planned with DD and little man. We always tell him we are "going on an adventure" for trips. We will visit the local country safari to see the animals. It's drive through only but you can loop around for a second time. I'm packing a picnic lunch. We'll stop first at the entrance parking lot and eat in our truck.

I started a new project and made a mistake on the very first piece! I'm already friendly with the seam ripper for 2021. At least I caught the mistake before continuing with the embroidery part of the snowman.

Hope your day is filled with sunshine and happy stitches!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        That makes two of us! Lol I was quilting last night and used it. Just minor though.

• NoOn49
        NoOn49 commented
        Editing a comment
        That makes three of us lol...used it this afternoon......

• toggpine
        toggpine commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm in on the 2021 seam ripper usage too! Not a huge thing to unpick, but important, as i think I grabbed the wrong length of elastic for Hubby's flannel pants!

Good morning everyone,

We had about 6" of light snow overnight. Its really pretty. Yesterday was a regular day. I did a load of laundry and went to sewing room. I unpicked the quilting on part of a row, that started to drop down and skew the pattern. I started it up and would need readjusting as the rows went from side to side. I may contact HQ to see what is going on. Anyway, I finished another VQC quilt, that's 4 this week. I will turn them in for another member to add and sew binding. I also cleaned up my sewing space. I finished hand sewing the binding on the last of 8 beige/black cardinal placemats -- to keep/give/sell next year. Oh, and the store owner who makes custom pieces dropped off my purse. It took her longer than usual as she had a lot of orders to fill for xmas. I did tell her I was not in a rush. A great way to start my year in fashion. I will post a picture, as she does a quilting design on the leather.

I've got to run and get ready for my guild's Zoom Sew Day starting at 9:30. They will be running more frequently than once a month. Last one I participated in was a lot of fun, and inspiring to see what everyone worked on. There was a lot of chatter and celebration at the end of the day. I don't have a particular project to work on this time. but many small items I want to make with scraps of xmas and other fabrics.

Enjoy your day -- stay safe, stay warm.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        Our guild does a Zoom sew day every Saturday. I've never participated.

Good Morning all,

We are in the single digits this morning and should be in the upper 20's today and tomorrow. The weatherman says we are going to see 35 on Monday. We will see. No snow expected here until possibly Wednesday. I'm hoping it stays away until then, Dave will be taking Jennifer over to Mayo for her appointment so in total for him it will be 2 hours driving, 1 hour to Jennifer's house.

It was quiet here yesterday as well. No visitors but none were expected either. We started putting the Christmas stuff away. Tree is down, my grandmother's nativity is put away also along with a few other items. It took several hours just to take all the ornaments off the tree and put them in the storage box. We ended up having to do that twice because we ended up with ornaments left and no place to put them so we took the box apart and had to double up some of the little spaces. We will probably finish putting stuff away today. Since we will probably be busy with that most of the day I think I'll save doing the turkey until tomorrow.

If there is some time left today I may work on the mystery quilt. The 3rd clue will be given on Monday morning and I haven't even started yet. Too many other things were in the making. No other plans for today. Time for some breakfast and coffee. Have a great day everyone!
      Carlie

Comment

Good morning all,

I didn't get up until 8:30 this morning. The last 2 nights (early mornings) at 4:30, I've awakened feeling really nauseated and chilled. It lasts for maybe an hour, then I fall back asleep, and when I get up I'm fine. Strange. DH says maybe I'm going through another change!! Ha! Once was enough of that. 🤪

It was a quiet day here. I didn't make it into the sewing room yesterday. Instead I worked on a cross stitch for the young family that just bought my dad's house. They had been renting, and after a few months decided they loved the house and the land. They are people after Dad's own heart....gardening, using the wood burning furnace, raising chickens, leading simple lives. My sister and I think Dad would have approved of them. We feel that God sent the perfect people to buy the house, as we had no plans to sell it until we met them. Anyway, I'm doing the "Feels Like Home" pattern from the FQS as a house warming gift for them. I'm enjoying cross stitch again, but I'm not getting any sewing done! I'm going to have tell myself that cross stitch is for the evening, and quilting is for the daytime!!

DH requested meat loaf for supper, so that's what it will be. He likes the fact he can make meat loaf sandwiches for lunch for a couple of days.

Carlie, our weather looks like a clone of yours.
        Suzanne, a zoom quilting meeting sounds like fun. The quilting groups at both the church and at the community center haven't been able to meet for a long time.

That's it for me. Time to watch the Pat Sloan daily video. Enjoy the day.
        Jeanne

Comment

Good Morning....Our day is perking along. We would like to get our Christmas things packed and put away today if the weather cooperates. We have a good layer of ice on the ground and the garage is separate from the house. We had several calls from friends yesterday. On the down side, my daughter was notified via contact tracing that she has been directly exposed to Covid. She can't get a test until Monday and it will take 2-3 days to find out the results. In the meantime she is quarantining herself.

The Girls got their first of the month preventative meds and were rewarded with eggs for breakfast. The humans ate cereal, and what's wrong with that picture!

The embroidery machine is clattering along making a few more components for Christmas gifts later this year. The washer and dryer will run all day.

The pictures are to show you what ice does to pine trees. When they get heavy from the ice, they lay on the ground. Once the ice melts, the trees stand back up and go on with their life! There must be a life lesson there....

I really enjoyed looking at Teen's quilts today. Be sure to read her story about the POW bracelet and how it went full circle. Ice2.jpg Ice1.jpg

Wishing everyone a great day.....Hugs.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Rhonda K
            Rhonda K commented
            Editing a comment
            Best wishes for your daughter. Hope her test is negative and she can return to her regular routine.

• geegeequilts
            geegeequilts commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful winter forest! Gina

• JCY
            JCY commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't envy you your ice. I lived through a bad ice storm years ago in Walla Walla, WA when I was a widow with young children. The bare maple tree limbs creaked & groaned all night long. I was worried they'd come down on the house we were renting. Power went off. My dad came over & took us to their house until the power came back on. We closed doors & heated the living room from the fireplace. Popped popcorn in an old fashioned long handled popper held over the fire. It was a lark for the boys.

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
          Good Morning....Our day is perking along. We would like to get our Christmas things packed and put away today if the weather cooperates. We have a good layer of ice on the ground and the garage is separate from the house. We had several calls from friends yesterday. On the down side, my daughter was notified via contact tracing that she has been directly exposed to Covid. She can't get a test until Monday and it will take 2-3 days to find out the results. In the meantime she is quarantining herself.

The Girls got their first of the month preventative meds and were rewarded with eggs for breakfast. The humans ate cereal, and what's wrong with that picture!

The embroidery machine is clattering along making a few more components for Christmas gifts later this year. The washer and dryer will run all day.

The pictures are to show you what ice does to pine trees. When they get heavy from the ice, they lay on the ground. Once the ice melts, the trees stand back up and go on with their life! There must be a life lesson there....

I really enjoyed looking at Teen's quilts today. Be sure to read her story about the POW bracelet and how it went full circle. Ice2.jpg Ice1.jpg

Wishing everyone a great day.....Hugs.
          Bubby, since moving to Idaho, we have learned new terms and experienced so much in terms of the weather. That frost on the trees happened here this week. The news called it Hoar Frost...dew collected and frozen. It is so beautiful. Looked like a winter wonderland. Pure white. Your pics are beautiful!
          "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Good morning!

It snowed a bit last night and added another layer on top of what’s already on the ground. I am enjoying the gentle falling snow and the vast whiteness. Makes me feel clean and germ-free..lol.

Yesterday, I participated in the Merry Mayhem annual One day mystery. I’ll never do that again or attempt to make a quilt in one day. I was exhausted..I did have fun but I think the result is one of the ugliest quilts I have ever made...tho, no fault of anyone except mine. Seriously....today, I’ll be trying to rescue from uglyville so the donation recipient doesn’t vomit and say “no thank you, I’ll,pass”

My laundry runneth over so I need to get on that today. Hope your day is filled with joy and accomplishment!

Blessings!
            "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• SuzyQue
              SuzyQue commented
              Editing a comment
              I have learned that sometimes the answer is cut it up and sash it......I’ve rescued some uglies this way!

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
              Editing a comment
              During our guild's sew day today, many of the members are doing the Merry Mayhem quilt. Some didn't want to see blocks until they were at that stage. I think I would have trouble sewing with blind faith, not knowing the outcome.

• Momofmonsters5
              Momofmonsters5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Omg I laughed so hard!

Good morning!

Today we will have a high in the upper 30's with cloudy skies. I think there was a chance of precipitation in there somewhere. Temps are supposed to remain steady for the week.

My quilt blocks are on the design wall. I have been fussing with placement since yesterday. I think I am going to take them down and start over. My brain keeps trying to make order out of chaos. I started off worrying about color placement, only to discover that it is the pattern placement which prompts me to start rearranging things. I want to do some online shopping today and order the backing and batting, and some more thread for the quilting. I was looking at the edge-to-edge quilting patterns last night. I have a couple of favorites and will stitch them out for auditions after I get the borders on.

Mom is doing well. I had a care team meeting earlier in the week. Mom's hospice nurse was included on the call. They said Mom is very social and spends most of her day outside of her room, interacting with the other residents. She will receive her first dose of the vaccine on Friday, Jan. 8. All but two of the residents will be receiving the vaccine. I was surprised that only 50% of the staff signed up. The director said they cannot make the vaccinations mandatory. They are hoping some of the staff will change their minds when they see their co-workers had no ill effects. Mom's facility sent a couple of pictures they took of Mom. Neither is very good, but she did get to sit on Santa's lap. I wonder if they tested him for Covid first. At least he was wearing a mask.

Today will be a quiet day, mostly quilting with a chance of housework. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
              Nwmnteacher commented
              Editing a comment
              Julie, I love that...."mostly quilting with a chance of housework".

• geegeequilts
              geegeequilts commented
              Editing a comment
              Julie, love that description of a quiet day. Gina

Good morning everyone!

Yesterday was busy talking with family and friends. Christmas stuff is away and I got my blocks done on my winter wallhanging. I'm doing the Lori Holt criss cross star. Hubby put in his two cents abthe border but I'm still mulling it over lol.

Housekeeping stuff today, bread and bun baking and some laundry. Need to put in a grocery order too. Hope to get the top done on my quilt.

Have a wonderful day everyone! Stay happy, healthy and safe! Happy New Year! 🎉
            Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• Teen
              Teen commented
              Editing a comment
              My husband is a bit colorblind, so asking for his opinion is futile. His response is always “I don’t like the red” when there is no red in the quilt.. lol..

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol! Um yeah...best ask us instead. 😂 Mine thinks everything should be matchy matchy. I try to explain that it doesn't need to be but there's no convincing him, lol.

Heike, I’m going to try the CrissCross Star, too. Can’t wait to see yours. I’m still involved in Lace Land with the emb machine. Almost done though.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Barb, I will definitely show once I'm done.

• CarlieBlilie
              CarlieBlilie commented
              Editing a comment
              I think that is something I am going to do also. Need to get caught up on my mystery quilt first though.

Good afternoon everyone. A bit late getting to the forum, but I made it. Yesterday I finished putting the borders on DS's quilt. You may remember that this was his goal over his Christmas visit Well, he got it all done except the borders. They are now on and waiting for him to pick a quilting design. So, I have moved onto a bay quilt. I'm making a Turnstile Quilt by Polkadotchair.com. Quick quilt, only nine blocks. My order of the pink minky form M* came in last week, so I should be able to finish the whole thing by tomorrow. Not sure what comes after that. Cheers!

Comment

Well, I'm finally here, but I have a good excuse.

Picked up the four quilts today along with a 13 gallon leftover bag of batting, so we won't have to buy baby quilt batting for quite a while. Will also have some leftover fabric from the backing. Quilts really look nice, so Cheryl will be busy putting the finishing touches on them so we can get them mailed to their respective owners.

Also bought the first fabric of 2021. We went to this little quilt shop smack dab in the middle of nowhere that my sister is using to quilt the quilt Cheryl made for her (which we got to see....the lady couldn't praise Cheryl's work enough). We took Patsy with us, but she stayed in the car. It's only in the lower 40s so with the window cracked open she was fine for the half hour or so we were in the shop. We were the only ones wearing masks, but we also made sure we were social distancing. Come to find out that the husband of the owner tested positive for COVID, so she moved into her shop until he recovers. I'm sure we were fine.

Stopped at McDonald's for lunch which was the first time I ate there in months. Only got a cheeseburger and the place screwed up our order so we only had one order of fries, which we shared, and one drink. We ended up getting Patsy a hamburger, which she gobbled down and enjoyed.

Not much else on the agenda for today. I'm back working on designing the basset hound quilt we want to donate to where we got Patsy from, so I'm hoping to get a final design finished as soon as I can.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Rob (and a well-fed Patsy).
              There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
              --Ken Burns

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                Editing a comment
                That can be scary. You wonder if the shop owner should not have posted a notice before you enter. Probably didnt for economic reasons, but scary that masks are not mandatory inside stores. They have been here since March. Its a small action that can prevent catching sprays.
            Working...
            X