Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Owl in Hot Water

Literally!
    Our son came over today and helped Hubby install the new hot water heater I bought on Christmas Eve. (I'm not sure Hubby was very happy with that, but he was overruled by the housekeeper, cook, laundry lady, farm manager, and wife who manages that bank account.)
    The bottom element had repeatedly "failed" over the last several years. Replacing the element, bought us more time, but I think there was something hinky with the electrical. The replacement elements should have lasted longer than they did.
    When we had the roof done this fall, we had some problems from the metal manufacturer related to the fires in Oregon. They knocked $500 off the materials cost, and our roofer passed that on to us. The new hot water heater cost $479 + tax. No substantial damage to the budget!!!
    Therefore, I am now able to keep it from raining in the bathroom, AND have more than 5 minutes of a hot shower!
    A stellar start for 2021!

Wait until he sees me wagging home the sinks to replace the ones that are corroded in the bathrooms!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

If it makes him feel any better, you can tell your husband and son that their efforts saved you $900. We just had our water heater replaced by a plumber, and the bill was $1,400. I am loving the hot water, though!

Comment

• nativetexan
      nativetexan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, plumbers cost too much money. we needed a new water heater and were quoted about $1400 just for installation. my son got us a heater and installed it himself. So there!!! now for a new roof and windows, etc. Not happening anytime soon.

• toggpine
      toggpine commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no problem paying a plumber, electrician, or any other tradesmen if the project requires it. They have the training and experience to take care of things and make sure it's done right. In this case, the project did not require it.

• MSN
      MSN commented
      Editing a comment
      DH was both relieved that he didn't have to do the work, but also sad that he had to admit the reality of aging and that he will probably never replace another water heater himself. When we last did that job 20 years ago, it took all weekend and 5 trips to Home Depot. It was worth it to me to not have to live through that again.

Sounds like a great start to the new year. Enjoy the hot showers.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Comment

MEN!!!! Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do!! Good for you.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• toggpine
        toggpine commented
        Editing a comment
        Part of it was my doing.
        I'd make sure that no laundry, dishes, etc. were done before he arrived home. Therefore he always had plenty of hot water for his shower, so if his showers weren't chilly, nobody's were and it wasn't a problem.
        I seemed to have more laundry to do about 6-6:30 PM lately.
        Now it won't be a problem!

A stellar start indeed!
      💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

Yay for plenty of hot water. You did a great a job with juggling the $$ bucket. We replaced ours last year. I think the total bill was around $1700 which included a permit and electrical upgrade too. Hot water is such a priority!

Comment

• toggpine
          toggpine commented
          Editing a comment
          One of our friends up the Peninsula needed a permit for theirs. We can only assume it is because they are inside the city limits. We didn't need one, nor did Home Depot ask for one when we checked out.

I'm rather fond of hot water, and I prefer to not have to heat it on the stove!

• MSN
          MSN commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, the plumber got a permit. It may not be a permanent structure, but requires water and gas line hookups. Coincidentally, we had an open permit because we had two bathroom remodels in progress. The plumber was scheduled to be here that day anyway, so we just added on the water heater job.

• Teen
          Teen commented
          Editing a comment
          We had to get a permit, too...In Calif, there are earthquake codes so the units had to be strapped in. Blah blah blah....permits are neede for everything nowadays.. such a racket..

Our hot water heater is giving us trouble also. We have a tankless one, and love it. But it sprung a leak Friday. Parts had to be ordered, and they will be out to fix it Monday. Meanwhile, we can use the hot water, but the garage floor is awash! Speaking of that, I need to open the garage door so it will dry out. The leak is small and most of it goes into the sink that is right under it.

Comment

I replaced mine last year and luckily my dd's then boyfriend put in. She caught a good one. lol my problem is that it takes so long for the hot water to travel to the bathroom. It wastes so much water. Why does it do that?
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

• MSN
            MSN commented
            Editing a comment
            If the water heater is across the house from the bathroom, the hot water has a long way to travel. Pipe insulation might help, but it won't completely fix the problem. There are point of use water heaters available, but they're not cheap.

Good for you. I pretty much take care of all the finances and the bigger purchases...are discussed. We need a new mattress, and fridge...which I WILL get. Because that is a need, not a want. When DH recently informed me he was buying a new $500 bow after the first of the year, I asked him how he planned on paying for it. I pay for ALL of my larger purchases with $ I make selling crafts at the Farmer's Market, on line, or craft related events. Those purchases never come out of our regular checking, or savings. I guess he can use his 'stimulus' to buy his bow.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

• toggpine
            toggpine commented
            Editing a comment
            The farm account is where we save for the home/farm improvements. We pretty much leave it alone. When we benefited from the supply chain issues with the roof, it gave us no reason not to replace it.

• Teen
            Teen commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol... they just toddle through life unaware, don’t they? Bless our hubbies...

Stellar start indeed. Nicely done! Hot water is essential.
          Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

well done right isn't always done right. my HVAC company sent two men to fix my AC. it cooled for one day. A supervisor came out twice. fixed it himself! i know, it was a company but still this system they sold me wasn't worth what i paid. but then, ,my son couldn't do this job!! everyone keeps wanting to come back and find more things to charge me for. nothing is every under warranty. another fun thing about getting old.

Comment

• toggpine
              toggpine commented
              Editing a comment
              True enough. It's worth the cost if it is done right.
              I'm sorry they tried to pull one over on you. We use our "community grapevine" to edit companies and tradesmen out here. We have to watch the folks my parents hire to do work.
              We try to do as much of our own work here on our little farm as possible to make the budget stretch.

You go, girl! Great start for the new year. I laughed at your comment about not using any appliances so Hubbie can have hot water and not be impacted... ..Godly women are known for this... I try but I am a big fat fail in that arena so I’m impressed. Does he know you did this for him? He’s a lucky man...
            "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• toggpine
              toggpine commented
              Editing a comment
              He did figure it out, all on his own, when he started a load of laundry that he wanted washed for the next day.
              He went and checked the tank when he got out, and then came into the kitchen to complain that his shower was chilly.
              *shocked face* Really? Do you believe me now?
              "But, it hasn't done that before", he argued.
              Ummm. Probably because I make sure that you have hot water when you get home.
              "Oh."
              He works long days outside and has a long drive home. A hot shower and dinner are a fair trade.

Cathy, having hot water is such a huge blessing! So glad you were able to get a new tank. Honestly, I thank God for hot, potable water every time I take a shower. I learned to do that when my DH returned home after a missions trip to the Philippines. His host on the trip laughingly referred to the "inverted shower" at his home. It was a stall outside his house with a bucket of water and a cup to ladle the water and pour it over one's head. Changed my perspective in a big way!

Comment

• toggpine
              toggpine commented
              Editing a comment
              Yikes! That is a bit more primitive than I want to get used to.

We are indeed blessed to have clean water, pretty much on demand. It's amazing that there are parts of this country that still don't have that luxury.
          Working...
          X