HGTV's Holiday Crafting Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HGTV's Holiday Crafting Competition

Did anyone see last night's HGTV Holiday Crafting Competition? I watched two full hours of the two hour and one minute show. At 11pm sharp, my mom's TV turned itself off as it's programmed to do, and I don't have the code to unlock it. So I missed the ending. Does anyone know who won? What were your thoughts about the show?
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

This is a spoiler, don't read if you wanted to watch it!

The two ladies won. I really, really liked the magician couple. I thought they were adorable and most outside the box for ideas. All his motors and quick thinking was fun. I saved the show to look up one of those simple motors. They used them on a lot of the baking shows too.

They are having a show next week on minitures for the holiday line-up
    šŸŒŗ Lorie

Comment

Spoiler alert from me, too ... don't read if you don't want to know.

Thank you, Lorie. I thought the two women would win. But I, too, was cheering for the magician couple.

Overall, did you like the show? I thought it was rather slow paced. Somehow the competitions on the cooking shows generate a sense of desperationā€”and thus interestā€”that was lacking here.

Comment

We watched it. It moved along at a good pace and never got boring. It was too long for us but we watched it all. We preferred the magician couple also.
        Last edited by Bubby; November 21, 2020, 02:17 PM.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post
          Spoiler alert from me, too ... don't read if you don't want to know.

Thank you, Lorie. I thought the two women would win. But I, too, was cheering for the magician couple.

Overall, did you like the show? I thought it was rather slow paced. Somehow the competitions on the cooking shows generate a sense of desperationā€”and thus interestā€”that was lacking here.
          I don't watch HGTV anymore because its lacking in the DIY/craft shows they used to have. I think it was slow, not many innovated crafts I haven't seen before. That's why I liked the magician couple.

'Making It' on NBC is way better produced. If you haven't watched it yet it going on it's third season during this pandemic.
          https://www.nbc.com/making-it
          šŸŒŗ Lorie

Comment

I didn't even watch five minutes of it.

Comment

I'm with you, Lorie. I miss the old crafting shows they used to have. I think that back in those days, my cable package had the DIY channel but not HGTV. I hear that the parent company is revamping DIY to be come the "Chip and Joanna Gains" network.

Bubby, I'm with you. But I think the female judge just didn't "get" them.

Native Texan, I can understand why you didn't keep watching. I was over at my mom's house, so I don't have full control of the remote, if you know what I mean!

The best thing about the show was that all four teams were sweet and personable. Then again, maybe that's why the show seemed slow. We've grown used to seeing people like Chip Gaines (on the happy side) and Allison Victoria (on a "different" side) who have personalities that are a bit outside the box.

Comment

I don't get HGTV because I don't have cable or satellite. When I had Philo's streaming service the only channels I watched were HGTV, Food Network, and occasionally Game Show Network. It wasn't worth even the $20 a month for three channels. Add to that the fact that every darn show on HGTV is either flipping something (I once joked to a friend that if they ever did a show on restoring a bird house they could call it "Flipping the Bird") or shows like the Property Brothers "fooling" a couple into thinking the house that is $1.5 million is in their budget (thankfully, they stopped doing that. By the way, I like the Property Brothers, but 6, 8, or 10 shows with them on is a bit much). When it first came on the air, I watched Paul James' "Gardening By the Yard" as well as Alex Anderson's quilt show along with "Before and After" among others that were actually geared towards home and/or garden. Now, of course, that's all too boring for the hip, young, supposedly rich viewers they want to attract. I once wrote HGTV an email suggesting they take their older shows and create a new network that would show "the best of HGTV" given how many people complain about how terrible it has become. I never heard back.

Food Network's endless food "competition" shows are moronic and boring, especially when they do "celebrity" versions with celebrities who would have to have a ladder to rise up to the "D" Level (I must have gotten a good deal on apostrophes and parenthesis). If it wasn't for Ina Garten, Trisha Yearwood, and even Ree Drummond (who I like, but who is just too syrupy for my tastes, and for pete's sake get rid of the fake rattlesnake) it wouldn't' be worth watching. David Brinkley once said that the worst sin on television was to be boring, but I think a strong case can be made that an even greater sin is to believe your audience is a bunch of morons who have the attention span of a three year old.

I think a lot of it started when This Old House (a show I watched from the very beginning) started remodeling houses with million dollar budgets. In an attempt not to get stale or predictable, the producers believed that people had to constantly get more juiced about something in order to keep watching.

I once interviewed Debbie Reynolds. I asked her if she was trying to break into show business today would she have been able to make it? She laughed and said "No, because I would have never shown my boobs" (although she didn't say boobs). She said there were plenty of bad things that happened when she entered MGM's studio system, but the one thing that L.B. Mayer never did was underestimate or deprecate the people watching his movies. Pity TV producers can't say the same today.

Now, what was the question?šŸ˜

Rob
                Last edited by Rob the HOAQ; November 21, 2020, 06:58 PM.
                There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                --Ken Burns

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                  GuitarGramma commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This discussion has been good for me. You make some really good points that are giving me food for thought. Most of all, however, I want to know how you snagged an interview with Debbie Reynolds?!?

• Rob the HOAQ
                  Rob the HOAQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  She was doing a show in the city where I was working. She had a press conference, but the manager of the theater was a good friend of mine, so he was able to get me a few minutes alone with her.

She was really fun to talk with, and told some great stories. For example they filmed part of "How the West Was Won" on the Ohio River near a place called Cave-in-Rock, which is in deep southern Illinois. They were filming on an island that was under water six months out of the year, and the river was starting to rise.

They were filming a scene where James Stewart and Carroll Baker were kissing, and Debbie was looking on. She said that in the middle of the scene Carroll let out a loud scream. Wrapped around a tree limb was a huge water moccasin snake.

"I ran, and Carroll ran, but Jimmy outran us both," she said.

When she did "Singing in the Rain" that was the first time she had ever danced on screen, and she often flubbed up. When she did, Gene Kelly would get angry and yell at her, making her cry, which would stop the filming (it took them two weeks to film the "Good Morning" sequence).

One day she noticed that when she would mess up Kelly would start yelling at Donald O'connor. After a while she asked him "Why is he yelling at you? I'm the one messing up." O'Connor replied, "because every time he does you start crying, and it's slowing down the filming so the director told him to yell at me."

Final story. When she started crying she would find an empty rehearsal hall to be alone. One day when she was sitting under a piano sobbing she heard a voice say "What's the matter dear?" She looked up and saw Fred Astaire. She cried that "I'm a horrible dancer, and I'm going to get fired!" Astaire would never let anyone watch him rehearse, but that day he let her watch him just so he could show her how hard it was.

Rob
                  Last edited by Rob the HOAQ; November 22, 2020, 05:27 AM.

• Rob the HOAQ
                  Rob the HOAQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  By the way, I want to say that I'm not trying to disparage anyone who wants to see something mindless and easy on the psyche especially in this day and age. My beef is really with the networks, who think that people won't watch something if it's presented in an intelligent and dignified way. "Hee Haw" was one of my favorite shows, not because of its intellect but because it reminds me of my mother, who loved to watch it.

Rob

Have not watched it yet, but I did record it.
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I really don't watch that much TV. We just have an antenna in the attic & get whatever channels are broadcast over the air. I haven't wanted to fork over $ for cable or satellite when we watch so little TV. We mostly watch the news each eve. DH usually falls asleep & misses at least half of it. I like the Amazing Race & Survivor. On Sat. I watch the Gaithers (gospel music) & on Sun., David Jeremiah (preacher). Sometimes Huckabee. I'd rather read a good book or watch something on YT. During the pandemic, I've been on the computer more & watch quite a few quilting videos, good music, funny animal videos, etc. I also follow several blogs.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                    GuitarGramma commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Joy, that is a wonderful thing. Right now, DH and I are one year into a two-year contract with DirecTV. But we really ought to think through whether or not we continue the subscription once the contract expires. We, like you, watch very little TV.

I haven't owned a television for almost 30 years, and I can honestly say that I don't miss it.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                    GuitarGramma commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good for you! We decided to raise our children without television. But we were both Computer Science graduates from the 1970s, and when those first home computers came out, you had to use a television as your monitor. It was the beginning of the end of our good intentions!

• MSN
                    MSN commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And now you can stream things through your computer, tablet, or phone, so you really don't need a television in order to watch TV. How the world has changed!

I watched the end of the Holiday Competition. I loved the idea of the clear plastic containers with lights wrapped in plastic as candy. It was kind of disappointing to me I was expecting more over the top crafts.

I like Chip and Joanna and there lovely family but I don't care for her style of decorating . I watch a lot of the history channel (Oak Island) and the news but right now I am burned out on the news.

Comment

Originally posted by TMP View Post
                    . . . right now I am burned out on the news.
                    Aren't we all!

Comment

The hard candy lights were the best thing on the show to me.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                        Hulamoon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think so too. I opened up some butter lettuce in a small round container yesterday and I'm going to make a 'candy' out of it. šŸ¬

The moving eyeballs were cool. too.
                    Working...
                    X