This Wild and Wonderful World of Ours! 🌱

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Wild and Wonderful World of Ours! 🌱

Introducing.......the Baseball Plant....

9101F4D9-DED4-44B8-B1AE-6EEC88E166F4.jpeg

Baseball Plant (Euphorbia obesa) is a decorative, thornless succulent plant. It is commonly known as β€˜baseball plant’ due to its shape and its diameter is between 6 cm (2.5”) and 30 cm (11.8”) depending on its age.

AB7309CD-00F8-4833-B2BD-62E9679CBC90.jpeg

Young Euphorbia obesa is spherical but become cylindrical with age. They contain water reservoirs for periods of drought. It has rudimentary, caducous leaves and usually 8 vertical, broad, slightly raised ribs with shallow furrows in between. The small inflorescence is borne on short peduncle from stem apices. The female and male flower are born on different plants. The fruit is a slightly 3-angled capsule up to 7 mm (2.75”) in diameter.

D7D0A91D-79F5-4B6F-BDB3-9922E70F3ECB.jpeg

The sap of Euphorbia obesa is poisonous.

E67BF962-6B99-4E32-A113-66B0F1541DDA.jpeg

Baseball plant nearly went extinct at the beginning of the 20th century due to uncontrolled collecting from the wild (this practice is prohibited by law today).
    πŸ’« Star lover

Hey that's cool, thanks.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

The name is perfect. that is one gorgeous plant!

Comment

To me, it looks more like a pincushion than a baseball. Interesting plant!

Comment

The first picture at first had me thinking it was a homemade quilted item. Gods I need tea and better glasses. It is so beautiful. My brother Carl loves cactus plants.

Comment

• Debbie Watters
            Debbie Watters commented
            Editing a comment
            I also thought it was a homemade ornament! Guess another glass of ice tea and new glasses are in order for me also! Very interesting ...

Guess you don't need thorns if you are poisonous. Sure is beautiful though.
          No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
          Aesop

Comment

I've never seen anything like that. I thought someone had decorated it with beads and embellishments!

Comment

Working...
            X