Not a rant, but a "Huh?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a rant, but a "Huh?"

OK, I imagine everyone is getting tired of this, but I can't understand this.

To be sure, I understand that mistakes can happen (boy, do I know that...14 years of newspaper work taught me that well). Yet twice in a row now Walmart has messed up my grocery order. Both times it was to my advantage, but still.

Cheryl eats Honey Nut Cheerioes for breakfast. Last week we ordered a box and got two. We weren't charged for the extra box, and it will be eaten, so there's no waste. This time, I ordered a can of Bruce's Yams just on the off chance that they might be scarce come Thanksgiving (no indication that will happen, but who knows?). Not only did I get the one 15 oz can I ordered, but I got two 29 oz. cans as well. Again, I wasn't charged for the extra 2 cans, but we will never eat that many. We will donate them to the local food pantry so someone will be able to enjoy their Thanksgiving, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should say something to our Walmart. I can't be the only one this is happening to.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

My DIL has used Walmart for pick up at the store. She often gets screwed up orders.

I shop online with Publix. It's a little more expensive, but if there's anything on my list they have a question about they'll shoot me a text and ask about it before check out. Plus they can drive my order to my house.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately, we don't have one near us. We're pretty much either Walmart or Schnucks.

Rob

Odd as it will sound, I would say do not tell them. These days people are short fused and may think it a personal complaint to aggravate them. What you can't use, is appreciated by local food banks. I worry easily so I tend to think on what ifs often. What if it is a handicapped person doing the orders and a someone is looking for an excuse to fire them? If it was a few TVs coming your way maybe say something but food items I would let it pass. You can never have enough Honey Nut Cheerios , I love those too.

Comment

I have a tender conscience. I would not feel comfortable keeping something I didn't pay for. But that's me. I would call & offer to pay for the additional items. I don't think you'll get anyone in trouble. The last time I shopped at WM, after I got home & recorded my purchases, I discovered one item did not get scanned. I have saved the UPC code off the box & my receipt. The next time I'm in the store, I will go to the customer service counter & pay for it. I think stores appreciate the honesty of their customers. I watch the staff at my local groc. store filling orders for pick-up. I honestly don't know how they keep things straight. Mistakes happen.

Comment

• bubba
        bubba commented
        Editing a comment
        I would tell them also.

• TMP
        TMP commented
        Editing a comment
        I also would call and tell them. If it does not belong to me , I don't want it. They will probably tell you to keep the cereal and thank you for your honesty.
        Last edited by TMP; October 31, 2020, 10:09 PM.

I use WalMart's pick-up service virtually every week. Like Joy, I have a tender conscience, so I'm happy to say that my local WalMart has never given me food I didn't pay for. I use the pick-up option because I don't want to go into the store. So I would be very torn about returning something extra. I would want to return it, but I wouldn't want to go into the store.

Truth be known, WalMart doesn't want you to return food items. One of my favorite frozen foods changed its ingredients to include corn starch, a big allergen for me. I had noticed this, but my husband brought some home for me. Because we were about to move, I took it back to the store. The returns desk tried to convince me to keep it because they have to throw away any returned food items.
      Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

In a different circumstance then I would probably return them, but with the pandemic going on I too really don't want to go into the store to do so. Working retail for 20-plus years I've learned that stores build such loss into their accounting. Shrink can come from three sources, i.e., internal (employee theft or mistakes), external (customer theft) and systemic (for want of a better word), which means that something that shows it was supposed to be put into the box and wasn't, or came to the store unsaleable. Obviously, stores want to minimize shrink as much as possible, but it's inevitable. That's also why I plan to donate the food to a food bank. This way, I don't feel like I'm taking advantage of them, and it goes for something good.

And yes, I know we kept the cereal. As much as I respect the feelings of those who would return the items, I don't feel guilty about keeping a $3.68 box of cerealf rom a multi-billion dollar corporation. However, I don't discount your feelings either. Like i said, in another world I would have returned them.

Rob
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

I don't know, I think they are doing the best they can. I shopped there in person the other day and am missing my can of cashews and coffee creamer. I called and must go back within a week and get those.

Comment

I believe you can contact them and let
            them know that their accuracy percentage is off. They won’t be mad and in fact might help someone’s job. Those mistakes take a toll on costs and while it is a multi million dollar operation. The guy/gal running your Walmart may not be aware and it could affect their performance. Their quality of life. I appreciate when someone lets me know when we have not charged someone correctly.
            Mary
            SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

I think all workers are a little more pressed during these times, and it's easy to make a mistake. Like others have mentioned, foods are not being accepted for return in many places. Donate it if you can't use it. Someone out there will appreciate it.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
              X