Today's Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's Snow

Good Evening ~ I finally imported the latest pics from my camera. It's been a while. This is a pic of this a.m.'s snow. I measured 6.5" on the picnic table, which was a 24 hr. total. Not a lot in the big scheme of things, but it's our first major snow of the season. I suppose my geraniums will be toast after this. Also the 2 purple fountain grass stems are all lopped over. When it warms up, I'll empty the pots for the winter. The "fountain" in the middle of the 2 fountain grass got covered earlier in the fall when the first freeze was predicted. If I can find it, I'll add the "before" of the flower pots.

P1040010.JPG
    P1030980.JPG The middle plant is a citronella geranium. If you brush the leaves, it smells like a citronella candle. It never did bloom. The "boy on the turtle" behind it actually is a fountain that we no longer keep going. It was too much of a maintenance headache to keep out the leaves & debris. DH no longer felt up to doing it. I just fill the scalloped basin with water for the birds. I remove the boy & store it in the garage during the winter. The other part is drained & covered with a garbage can lid & 2 large garbage bags that are held down with a bungee cord. So there you have it -- summer & winter.

We also got snow but only an inch or two and it’s already melted. I have flower pots to clear out but they did not look nearly as good as yours. Your geraniums are awesome! I’d love to have the citronella geraniums, even if they didn’t bloom. For some reason mine never do well. My neighbor always has beautiful geraniums. Mine look good the first week I plant them, then go downhill till I finally put them out of their misery.

Comment

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought established plants already potted from the garden center. It's as cost effective as buying the potting soil & plants separately, plus the work of planting pots yourself. This was the first year I had a citronella geranium. It was very prolific. I trimmed it back at least twice.

Your plants are just absolutely gorgeous! That's something I rarely say because I kind of hate plants, esp house plants. DH is the gardener in the fam and I always tell him any plant bigger than my hand belongs outside! Sorry I can't rave about your snow, though! That's alot for October. But better you than me lol.

Comment

Really nice pictures. Love the seasonal difference in the 2 pictures. Geraniums don't thrive for me like they do for you. Petunias always make me proud, keep them watered and they are happy. I like snow so both pictures appeal to me..

Comment

We got about 1" of snow yesterday.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

No snow here yet, but the forecaster used the words "lake effect" for the weekend. That usually means snow courtesy of the Lake Erie snow machine.

Comment

Your geraniums are so healthy and beautiful, Joy. I never heard of a citronella geranium. I have good luck with impatiens and they come in such beautiful colors. Jeff is more of a gardener than I am. I used to grow a large vegetable garden and can food all summer.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Wow, that's a snow fall. We barely got a dusting. It was more like someone with dandruff shook their head.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Goodness, we were in the mid 80s yesterday. I can only dream of snow here. I guess if I want to see any, I could go to my MILs house in the winter.... pictures will do!

I remember Grandma taking cuttings from all of her geraniums and rooting them in the guest room window. Her geraniums came from cuttings from her mother's plants. Even though my great grandmother died in 1960, she still had them in the late '70s when she had to move into the Hall Towers.

Katrina
                “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• JCY
                  JCY commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Years ago, when I was younger, had more energy, & planted my own pots, I kept the geraniums & asparagus fern plants in the garage window on shelves over the winter. But it was a lot of work. I used to have 10 hanging baskets , 8 on the house & 2 on the shed. It's a lot of maintenance, hand watering, dead heading, fertilizing, etc. Now I buy just the 3 geranium planters & 3 purple fountain grass -- 2 for the patio, one for a planter in the front. I also have bedding plants for the flower beds, but over the years, I've switched over to mostly perennials.

That's way more snow than I like. I enjoy seeing it come down but really enjoy seeing it go away. Love your nature show, Joy. Gina

Comment

Beautiful Flowers! you sure do have a green thumb! So far we haven't had any snow that is sticking to the ground-may that last awhile longer! thank you for sharing!

Comment

We got a dusting of snow today. Yay!! I do not have a green thumb at all. No plants here but yours are beautiful.

Comment

No white stuff for us.....yet........and I hope it waits until......well if it never “white stuffsl I’d be happy.....well maybe for Christmas! 😁
                      💫 Star lover

Comment

• MSN
                        MSN commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My idea of the perfect winter is snow falling gently on Christmas Eve, and then all melting on the day after Christmas.

I love your photographs and I was telling my children about your snow as we looked at the rain falling down here in Scotland. They are very envious of your weather but they are 7 and 11 so they have a very different outlook!

Comment

Working...
                      X