Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Any Of You Donate To Go Fund Me (crowd-funding) OR PayPal When Asked By Strangers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Any Of You Donate To Go Fund Me (crowd-funding) OR PayPal When Asked By Strangers?

In recent weeks I've found a young woman who in my opinion is scamming people. She claims some really outrageous medical claims (she can't walk, has Cranial Instability and need brain stem surgery, etc. Also claims to have "100's" seizures per day.
    She claims that her Service Dog (Atlas)0 and her husband were both allowed in the MRI with her while she was being scanned. (Sorry, but I've had quite a few MRI's and NO one has ever been allowed in an MRI with me when being scanned and yes, there has been one occasion where hubby Terry asked if he could be with me and was told no simply because it isn't allowed.) Her hubby was allowed in the MRI with her to "hold" her head because she was seizing so much AND the Service Dog, well, he was in the room because he was alerting to EVERY one of her seizures? Really.....
    It gets worse. Now she claims she needs to go to a doctor in Maryland who will do CCI (Cranial Instability Surgery) but she lives in California and it's taken a long time for Medicaid to approve her serious issues. So, she along with her husband and dog has found a wonderful person to take them to Maryland in an RV. Really? Let me also add that she needs to be resuscitated on a constant basis because she stops breathing. (her words not mine)...and her hubby knows how to do this to keep her alive!!!?????
    Okay......the reason I posted this was because this has blown up in her face. People have complained to Go Fund Me & to PayPal as well. (In fact, I'll let you know that I did complain to PayPal, and if you go to their complaint link, you'll see my comment, which explains things a little better than I'm doing here.)
    (I might also add that this doctor is the type of doctor that doesn't take insurance and wants cash payments and several people say he has injured a lot of people... I realize this is hearsay, however, a lot of people who claim possible fake medical issues use this doctor.)

Here's the link to the Go Fund Me. There's 34K ($34,868.00 to be exact) donated by well-meaning people, who trust others when they shouldn't. There are photos on the GFM of Jessi in the hospital (several admissions) and due to the fact that she has so many seizures, shouldn't her hospital bed rails be padded? In case you don't know, "yes" if you have a documented seizure disorder/epilepsy your bed rails will automatically be padded when you are admitted. (There's one photo with padded rails on the GFM. I assume these are all different admissions too.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** **
    PLEASE note that a major NEWS station has gotten ahold of this story as well. This clearly is a fraud. There are several people who have posted information on Instagram as well about this.
    I think it's important to notify others so that people don't get scammed out of their hard-earned money.

Below is the link to the Go Fund Me page for Jessica/Jessi Smith
    it's titled :
    "Save Jessi Before It's Too Late" (the GFM speaks of her impending death...and BTW, the GFM has been up since 2019.)

She also claims that she has had trouble in the past with being denied her CHEMO.....BTW, she uses a drug that is (it's a PO med....a pill for those of you that aren't in the medical field) but she has convinced several people that this drug is used for arthritis as well (in some instances) for some chemo treatments...

EDITED: Links to things like this are NOT allowed. Honestly, I don't think this entire post should have been posted. People need to refrain from stuff like this. It doesn't really pertain to anything or anyone on this forum. Karen

(be sure to click on the arrows with the photos. There's 2 of them with posts about this scam/fraud to read about)
    I also will add other links about this story which are other links from people who are trying to inform others so they don't get caught up in this and donate to this grifter.
    Last edited by K. McEuen; October 24, 2020, 12:55 AM.
    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

I don't buy into any go fund me causes. Even the ones that are complaining about getting evicted ...I work 40 hours a week and they are pulling in more money than me to sit at home and not pay rent. If you could afford rent before geting an extra 600 a week you can afford rent now. I don't trust go fund me stories.

Comment

Momofmonsters.....I agree!!
      I just thought it might be a good thing to give everyone a heads up on this gal. If you didn't know much about medical issues, you'd think it was legit and feel sorry for this gal. It's really sad. I know people that can't get help from the state, etc. and this type of thing really rubs me the wrong way.

I never donate to anything. Period. If someone I know dies I send a small check or a gift card from a local grocery store. I also wait 2-3 weeks and then cook a meal and take it over to the widow/widower, etc. I started doing this when I found out a lot of people aren't adequately insurance when they pass away.

It's sad when things like this happen. It's also sad how many young people are watching these "Chronically" ill people on YouTube and copying symptoms, etc.
      Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
      http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

It's super sad people buy into it! There's several local stories and no one is working. They are getting benefits and not paying household expenses. I pay everything out of pocket and constantly see drug addicts at the grocery store using food stamps. It's really annoying.

Comment

Sadly there a lot of scammers out there. There was a woman in Dartmouth Nova Scotia a few years back pretending she was pregnant, than gave birth to her imaginary twin babies who needed money for medical expenses etc. She actually walked around for a few months with a fake bump to look pregnant
          The only legit GoFundMe I know of is the Minipinerie ( a registered charity ) for a crippled dog, and also one for a bus load of hockey players that crashed out west some time ago.
          There are so many scammers on Go fund me pages I wouldn't risk wasting money on it. There are a lot of legitimate charities , that people in need can apply to and be helped. I know it sounds harsh, but it should be criminal to scam people on the GoFundMe .
          Last edited by minipinlady; October 23, 2020, 11:55 PM.

Comment

No....no....and NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Don't get me wrong but I do have sympathy for people who are going thru bad times. I find it hard to distinguish between the real causes and the scams, on these go fund me pages, so I choose to help those in my community or family that can be proven.

Comment

Thank you Karen
                Kathryn
                There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

There are plenty of bad people doing bad things, and, there are plenty of good people doing good things that you never hear about.

I don't 'Go Fund Me' for anybody, I've heard too many 'scammy things' about it.
                  Katrina
                  “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I donated to one that my daughter and her friends had started for girlfriend that she used to work with. The friends 18 mo. diagnosed with massive tumor (cancer) in the adomen. All the friends even got together and set up a cooking club. Making sure the family had meals to eat during the long hospitals stays. About 3 years ago I saw the little girl at my grands birthday party, tiny and fraile looking but was cancer free. They even had t-shirts made up for purchasing, all proceeds went to the family.

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                      redcaboose1717 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've heard so many bad stories about GFM's that when we've had people in our community that I know I'll start plans to make sure the person (or if they have a family) has meals delivered, someone to help with driving to appointments if needed and just to make calls to make sure the person isn't alone. Etc. I do the same thing when someone is widowed. I wait 2-3 weeks and then call them and take a meal to them and eat with them I then wait another 8-10 days and arrange to go out to lunch or shopping. I don't only do this with women, but friends of ours that have lost their wives.
                      I know from personal experience that within 1-2 weeks after a spouse passes away, people get back to their lives, etc. Of course, they don't mean to ignore you, it's just that they are busy living life and they normally think the family is taking care or maybe watching out for the widow/widower, and although sometimes this is true, it sadly isn't a lot of the time.
                      So, no, I don't donate to Go Fund Me at all. Maybe that's why I get a little ruffled up when I see blatant scamming going on like this.

I've only contributed to two funds, one was for a family member, the other for a family member of a very dear friend. In both cases I knew the situation was real and the people were real.

There was a time a cousin of mine set up a GoFundMe drive to raise money to "pay her rent". In that case I also knew the person was real, and knew the REAL situation. If she had just simply called me and asked, I would have sent her landlord the money directly. But instead in her GoFundMe story she claimed that her family had turned their backs on her and wouldn't help (she even posted similar comments on Facebook). I didn't send her one plumb nickel!

I swore after that, I would never contribute to another GoFundMe, but if I become aware of a need of someone I know (or a family member of theirs) and care about and respect, I'll send the money directly to them or to the doctor, landlord etc.....

Comment

• bubba
                      bubba commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A bad thing about gofundme is they keep a percentage of the donations as their way of making $. I don't know the percentage, but I think it's based on the amount raised.

• redcaboose1717
                      redcaboose1717 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bubba's right, the amount that GFM (Go Fund Me) keeps is ridiculous in my opinion. I've also heard that it isn't really easy to make a complaint about a GFM either (to GFM) However, I don't know this for sure. I did contact (as did others I know) PayPal about this same couple and their scamming. I also found out that this couple even got divorced to continue scamming their state government. IF you don't know, a boyfriend or girlfriend can get paid by some states in the US to be a caregiver. It's rumored this is why this couple was divorced. (and the divorce is real, it's a matter of public record)

No donating to Go Fund Me from me. With the world the way it is these days, why would I trust someone like that who I don't even know. Sometimes it's hard enough to believe people you "do" know. Thanks for the heads up for those who are being taken advantage of left & right these days through scams.
                    My motto is....verify, verify, verify!

Comment

No. I don't even read the go fund me stories.

Comment

No, no ,no.

Someone just tried to scam me over the phone a couple of days ago. Telling me that this is money saving health insurance for eye and dental, an add on to my own insurance. If I pay $25 a month it will save me money. I told her I just went to the eye doctor and it was free, how is this going to save me money? She hung up on me. lol
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                          redcaboose1717 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I've been getting so many calls to the house for (and on my cell phone too) from numbers I don't know that I don't answer the phone UNLESS I recognize the phone number. I tell everyone to "leave me a msg" and I'll call back. I have a couple of friends that never leave msgs and if I don't catch the phone number right away, I might not return the call for a day or two. It's sad that it's come to this that you have to "police" your own phone calls. I watched a program a couple of years ago about scam calls that all you had to do was say "Hello" and you were scammed....so I stopped answering the phone and always let the answering machine pick up on the landline and the cell. (I am thinking strongly of getting rid of the landline).

• Hulamoon
                          Hulamoon commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have to keep the landline because of poor connection with cells. You have to go outside at a 'sweet spot', go on the roof or drive to the park. I've been blocking #'s lately. This call was from my area code and three people got on the phone at various times. Sounded like they were in their living room sitting around with this bright idea.

I would never donate via GoFundMe unless I actually knew the person and that his or her need was real. Having said that, I actually have donated via these kinds of sites to help people I know.

If you don't mind, I can tell you precisely where in your story you can tell it's a scam: she says can't get MEDICAID and she says she lives in CALIFORNIA. In California, we never, ever say "Medicaid"; we have this cutesy name for the same program, "Medical." Get it? "Cal" is short for "California." I even have trouble figuring out what "Medicaid" is when I hear the term used.

Good job, Sugar, staying aware of pull-your-heart-strings scammers. They're a scary lot.
                        Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                          redcaboose1717 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You're right about California and the fact it isn't Medicaid there. My niece lived out there for 20 years when her hubs were in the Marine Corps. She pointed this out to me when I sent it to her. She has relatives on her dad's side that believe every hard-luck story. She actually called him over this scam I sent her! LOL! She said he didn't know about it, so that's a good thing. Her dad has a big heart and would be an easy target.
                      Working...
                      X