My turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My turn

As some as you know, this year I have returned to classroom teaching after 17 years working in an office. I keep trying to explain to my 4th-graders (8 and 9 year olds) that I'm "older than dirt." I'm the same age as their grandparents, and, in fact, one of them IS my grandchild. But I was unprepared for the following question from one of them today:
    "What's a phone book?"

Ha, ha. yep you are old! me too! I am still getting used to having a cell phone. darn things. old as dirt huh?

Comment

Yep! Kids today don't know what it means to "dial a phone". Also, what about t.v.'s that didn't have remotes to change the channels? 🙃

Comment

Oh my...I would have been caught by surprise too!

Comment

I had my phone on speaker with grand daughter near by... recording said press 1 followed by pound sign.. she asked what's a pound sign, showed her on the phone, her remark.. oh the "hashtag"

Comment

• jwchristy
            jwchristy commented
            Editing a comment
            And there is the matter of pay phones....in a phone booth!

• GuitarGramma
            GuitarGramma commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah. I still wonder how Clark Kent is coping!

Even though I personally don't remember having a party line, we did for a while. I once wrote a column where I mentioned something about "two shorts and a long." Two of the people who worked there who were in their 20s asked me "what is world does that even mean?" I didn't even try to explain Pennsylvania 6-5000 to them.

Rob
          There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
          --Ken Burns

Comment

Oh my! Yes, the younger generations won’t have a clue what we mean.....the tv went off at 1 am and played the national anthem....dialing the time.....drive in movies.....typewriters....dial up phones (we have relatives that sat a dial up phone in front of their 4 kids....they were clueless!) ☎️
            So many memories.....
            💫 Star lover

Comment

I still use a 'phone book'.
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• toggpine
                toggpine commented
                Editing a comment
                Me too.
                Now I use it more for elevating the bags of veggies I'm vacuum sealing for the freezer than hunting for phone numbers, but I still use it!

It really has not been that long since the phone company stopped delivering phone books to our doors. I guess new/young quilters won't know about using a phone book for paper piecing! I stopped using my phone book long before they stopped delivering them. I could find numbers faster on the net.
              Vonnie

Comment

I was watching Adam 12 the other day and it struck me as odd to see one of the officers have to use a pay phone to call into the station. Also, if you ever listen to Jim Croce's song "Operator" you hear "thank you for your time/oh you've been so much more than kind/you can keep the dime." I wonder if younger people today will be as nostalgic for their things in the future as we are today?

Rob
                There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                --Ken Burns

Comment

yes i hate hash tag. seriously. things have a perfectly good name and my brain refuses to re-learn them. White hair lets me get away with many things, this being one of them.
                  Oh and i still get a small phone book!!

Comment

We have an old rotary phone that I let my grand kiddies play with. I had to tell them what it was a show them how to work it! Now they “pretend” call people.

Comment

So many things have happened in our lifetimes but just think about the changes of those folks born 100 yrs ago....electricity, automobiles, cameras, phonographs, radio, whew, the list goes on
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

My husband and I really enjoyed talking with my grandparents about changes they had seen through the years. My grandfather was a sharp as a tack until just shortly before his death. He was 98 and his memory was still excellent. We would ask questions about his childhood etc and he would go on and on. I'm glad that he did otherwise all those memories would have been lost. My daughter totally understands that since she was able to learn stuff from him. My grandchildren, especially the 22 year old remember the well. Not very many kids can say they knew their great great grandparents.
                        Carlie

Comment

• SallyO'Sews
                          SallyO'Sews commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Carlie, when I was 16 (in 1972), my grandmother stayed with me for a week while my parents were out of town. She told me all about her life in Waco, Texas, during the first decade of the 20th century. I have regretted ever since that I did not record what she said. What a legacy it would have been, had I been able to pass those stories down to my grandchildren!

• CarlieBlilie
                          CarlieBlilie commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I thank God I had my cellphone during my grandfather’s last days. I have a recording of him talking about his youth. I do have a very short recording of my grandmother also. Regretfully I do not have any recording of my parents.

We still use our phone books. They are delivered to our porch every year. And we still have a land line phone! It's frustrating when a business no longer lists their no. & I have to turn on the computer & do a web search just to search for a phone no. I think many cell phone users no longer list their nos. in a phone book. I also remember the unit on the wall with the hand crank. When I was a child, we knew a family who lived out in the country on a farm who still had one of those. The earliest phones I remember were the ones that were black & tall with the separate receiver than hung on the side. One had to speak to an operator to place a call. It was before dial phones. We still have our wall dial phone that was in this house when we purchased it >40 yrs. ago. Now it hangs out in the garage; it still works.

When my mom turned 90 y.o., we did a cassette tape of her childhood remembrances & made copies for all the kids & gr. kids. Her memory was sharp. She was the only girl with 3 brothers who often made her life miserable. E.g., they singed the hair of her favorite doll in the heating stove. They grew up in a farm in rural IL with a widowed mom, which would have been prior to electricity in the home. My grandma married a widower older man who'd been married & already had another family. He died when my mom was only 7 y.o.

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
                          Rob the HOAQ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Joy, since I'm an Illinois native, what part of Illinois was she born in?

Rob
                      Working...
                      X