Will 2021 be any better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will 2021 be any better?

Of course I hope so, but I was looking at some photos online of the Paducah quilt show, and I wonder, will we really be ready for scenes like this by April? No one wants this over more than me, but I wonder how many here would be willing to go into a situation like this, especially with people always this close? My reason for asking this is that yesterday the Washington Post had an interesting article about what happened after the Sturgis bike rally. While the Paducah show isn't nearly as big as Sturgis, there are still 30,000 to 40,000 people there from all over the world. Are we setting ourselves up for disappointment, or is it necessary to keep our sanity to think that this might actually happen?

Rob
    spah17-5.jpg
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

From what I hear, maybe .....maybe.....this time next year? Who knows.....but hope is always good!

Comment

I’ve heard that all AQS shows for 2021 have already been canceled. What a disappointment. But, I’m not sure I would be comfortable going. I sure hope next year is better than this one

Comment

Well you have to think about the attendees of both of these events. They are worlds apart from each other. I'm sure there are closet biker quilters and vice-versa, but as a whole I think it could be pulled off safely.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

6 months can change the world. Just look at the PAST 6 months....
        TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          For sure....just look!

I am hoping we can soon be back to what we have know as a normal life. I for one am ready to begin it.
        One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

Rob, I like to think we will be able to go to our quilt shows next year. But will we? Please don't tell me today that there's no good news to be had. If we don't have something good, something happy to look forward to I'm afraid that more than a few people may lose what's let of their sanity.😢 Gina

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            There are many good things in all of us, every single day. We just have to look for them. They aren't going to jump on our laps all the time. We create our own happiness. I am happy to have found you, Gina...to learn from and chat with. Your comments often make me smile. Thank you! Hugs!!

I always wondered why so many Japanese people wear face masks. I always just thought Japan had a lot of air pollution but just read that it's not the only reason so many in Japan wear them. Here's a short, interesting article about them:
          https://theculturetrip.com/asia/japa...urgical-masks/
          I don't think I would be opposed to wearing a face mask even when the pandemic is considered over. I think it would certainly help during spring allergy & flu season, etc. Just call me weird. 😉

Comment

• auntstuff
            auntstuff commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree, bubby. Wearing one for more than a few minutes leaves me gasping. Makes grocery shopping an agony.

• Hulamoon
            Hulamoon commented
            Editing a comment
            I made a couple for myself, but I didn't use quilting cotton. The one my dd gave me was QC and it was hard to breath. I used some Batiste cotton and it made a big difference.

• bubba
            bubba commented
            Editing a comment
            Bubby, I've seen fb ads recently for an insert to put under your masks so it holds it out from your mouth and nose. Have not bought any yet, but I've thought about it!

We have been taking rigid precautions since March 1 and we are still in our first wave of the virus here in the Midwest. There is a second one coming behind this one plus the flu.

I have hope that this too shall pass and that we will be able to resume doing the things we love to do. I take one day at a time and hold onto my faith.

Interesting question, Rob!
          Last edited by Bubby; October 19, 2020, 08:37 PM.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• minipinlady
            minipinlady commented
            Editing a comment
            We are in the 2nd wave here.. We do our best to careful. Everything does come to pass, and this will too.. Not sure mine is a religious faith , but it is a faith in spirit , and in people. The crazies may grab center stage, but it is the quiet decent people that keeps it all going. I was disapointed there wasn't a local quilt show this year but here in the forum there is an ongoing one. How cool is that.? Everyone is s adapting, be it working from home if it is possible, or changing work conditions when they have to work outside the home . Home schooling is getting bigger, schooling by internet etc. Even the dating world is changing, I hear, people are being more conservative and selective. Before the waves started, if I saw one or 2 people a day walking on our street that was about it. Now it is like a parade every day. I see more parents outside playing with their kids, and walking dogs. When I am safe at home hope is more apparent. I admit when I go out, it gets jangled.

I want to go to Paducah so bad it was to be my next quilt trip. I have a lot of hope . I keep telling myself the world is full of brilliant people working on a vaccine. I do believe a vaccine or something will be discovered that will get rid of this awful virus . I keep praying for it all to end.
          Last edited by TMP; October 19, 2020, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
            Rob the HOAQ commented
            Editing a comment
            To be honest when we first went I didn't think I would enjoy it. Even though I had been the son of a quilter, I figured I would be bored. However, after going I grew to the point of looking forward to it. I enjoy looking at the artistic quality of the entries and appreciate the work that goes into them. Plus, I have to admit that I enjoy watching the nice ladies at Hancocks of Paducah jockey for position in getting that special fabric. Black Friday ain't got nothin' on them!

Rob

Rob, it's going to be awhile before I can be comfortable being in an environment like the one in the picture. Even if they develop a vaccine, it will take months to test it for safety and efficacy, then more months to manufacture, distribute, and administer the hundreds of thousands or millions of doses that will be needed. And even longer before my comfort level returns. Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, but it's also being realistic.

Minnesota Quilters has a large quilt show every year. This year's was cancelled, which was a huge financial blow. The board of directors made the difficult decision to make the 2021 show a virtual show. Not at all the same, but at least they can move forward with planning.

Comment

• Dove
            Dove commented
            Editing a comment
            Talking to my doctor the other day-- he's with a university medical center-- he said the vaccines are moving along well. They have 3000 people in the testing stage. So it shouldn't be too much longer before someone has a vaccine ready.

I count my blessings every day that I am a natural hermit.
          TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• minipinlady
            minipinlady commented
            Editing a comment
            I too am a hermit by nature this last decade, and liked it a lot. I never had cabin fever here until the house filled up with more hermits, lol.

• auntstuff
            auntstuff commented
            Editing a comment
            Minipin, I live alone with 2 dogs, a cat and an elderly horse. Peace....

• osewme
            osewme commented
            Editing a comment
            DH is more of a hermit than me & he retired about 10 prior to me. After I retired we both turned into hermits. Since we really don't have friends who/to visit & only one DD/DSIL, we stay home 95% of the time. Only go out for shopping/banking & prescription pick up. Life is boring at our home but we are safe & like it that way.

As I just said...I feel blessed. I feel badly for people who are not recluses and need to get out. It is frustrating and disappointing for a lot of folks to miss out on things. We missed our trip to Italy this summer. We are very grateful we got a full refund on our flights. We won't be traveling anywhere anytime soon...and that's ok. This interruption in our lives is not forever, just for now. Not going out has made me more grateful and closer to my dear friends and family...the most important part of my life.

Do I want to go to Paducah? You bet! One day I hope to. I feel badly for you folks who don't get to go this year. For now I will admire quilts on the web and in this forum. I have so much appreciation and love for all things handmade...especially when there is a personal connection. I love our Show and Tell! I will spend this time to make my own quilts, hone my skills, and dream of quilts I may show at Paducah one decade from now, lol.

Hang in there dear friends. This too shall pass. In the meantime...we have each other to virtually quilt with! Big hugs!!
          Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

We are all experiencing Covid fatigue and are so ready for this to be over. Unfortunately, the virus has its own timeline.

One of my patients said something today that made me look at things in a different perspective. "My parents lived through the Great Depression and World War II. They endured a lot of hardship. The pandemic is just the hardship for our generation to get through. If our parents could get through their hard times, we can get through this." Such words of wisdom!

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
              Rob the HOAQ commented
              Editing a comment
              You know, I was thinking about that recently. From 1929 to 1945 Americans (and others in the world) faced some of the harshest and most disturbing times, and yet made it through them. People are now complaining because they have to wear masks for a brief time in public and that they can't eat at their favorite restaurant. I've always been a bit of a recluse because we never had much money to be able to go anywhere or do anything, so staying home isn't a big hardship, but I do miss my friends and coworkers, and I miss not having a job right now (or at least not being able to go back to it). I hate to sound like an old crank, but it seems to me that many people today could not have survived either the Great Depression or World War II. We are better than this.

Of my soapbox now. I'm going to bed.

Rob

• Hulamoon
              Hulamoon commented
              Editing a comment
              Timeline. How strange we were thrown into one. I was talking to my youngest dd and the topic of having kids came up. But she said they were going to wait until the covid is gone. She just got married, looking forward to have kids like her sisters. Luckily she's young because I think if she waits it's going to be awhile.

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Well said Rob. We will get through this. We have it far better than many. What my mama and I miss the most is being able to hug and kiss each other and my dad. He has Alzheimer's, is in a different home than she is, hasn't seen his wife in 7 months and constantly forgets why I can't take him out to see her or come inside to hold him. What pains me the most is when he is reaching for me through the slits of the fence (which he calls prison walls that he says he could easily climb...and probably could), craving my touch. And I have to say... I can't, as I back further away.

Right now, there are more virus cases here in Kentucky than ever before and it's continuing to rise. Even my rural community has seen significant increases in numbers. People are becoming complacent or more rebellious about wearing masks and social distancing. I expect it to get even worse before it gets better (if it does).
            *~* Myrna *~*
            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• auntstuff
              auntstuff commented
              Editing a comment
              Remember, they are adding to the old count, so that is cumulative numbers from the beginning. NOT that many new ones.

• MRoy
              MRoy commented
              Editing a comment
              The numbers I'm talking about are new confirmed cases. The governor and our district health dept provides the numbers of new confirmed cases each day. We're having more new cases added daily than ever before.
          Working...
          X