Sunday Morning Greetings :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday Morning Greetings :)

Good Morning, Everyone ~ A new wildfire! Yest. at noon a fire was reported near the Cal-Wood Education Center in rural Boulder Co., NW of the city of Boulder. (We live 11 mi. from Boulder.) With the strong winds it blew up & spread quickly. The small town of Jamestown (maybe 300 pop.) was ordered to evacuate. As the fire spread, more evacs. were ordered. I think 900 homes were under the evac. order. Livestock were brought to the co. fairgrounds. The town of Lyons has been put on alert in case the winds shift & the fire runs that direction. We could see the huge black cloud of smoke from our front yard. Particles of black ash settled on our cement driveway. The air was stinky. At last report 7,000 acres have burned & some structures, but it's too early to assess damage; there is 0 containment. It's been such a devastating fire season not only in CO, but also in the western states.

I spent yest. a.m. making DH's chicken soup. I rested my knee as much as I could. I've been icing it several times a day. It's improving. The dr. said it would be at least 6 wks. before it would be better. I'll have to be vigilant to do the home exercises. I got another good night of sleep last night.

No more time now. I'll be taking it easy today. I plan to watch church on YT.

Good morning friends. Lynda and I really enjoyed our road trip yesterday. We took a route that we have never taken before. The sun shone brightly and a few sprinkles on the way home.

Our 1st destination was Ron's Fabrics. I had only scheduled a 1/2 hour but probably should have booked an hour. Lynda found that the staff weren't very nice. We were TOLD when we had 10 minutes left and better get our cutting done. Yup ushered out. Doubt we will go back there, at least Lynda won't. The prices were good and yes I did buy some.

Our second stop at Giroux's Sewing Centre, a lot friendlier than the first. We waited a few minutes until a customer left. Yes a heck of a lot friendlier than the first. On my second pass I did find coordinating fabric for a panel I had bought in Alberta while on vacation.

Our third stop was at Em's Scrapbooking and Quilt Store. VERY friendly there. It is a beautiful shop. Small world, the owner knows people from this area. I didn't buy fabric but bought a pattern.

Our final stop was Value Village. I found a set of sheets with unicorns (flannel) and a flannel Christmas one with Cardinals. SCORE!!

We met up with hubby at a sports bar for supper. It was a fabulous trip.

On Friday, I made a quilt top. Yes, my mojo returned. I was commissioned to make a memory quilt, I had the blocks cut out and ready to sew. So I tackled that and finished the top. I have enough squares to make the back but I haven't decided what to do with the back yet. I will tackle that today. It will be good to finish this project.

Have a great day everyone. Katrina, safe travels.

Stay safe and healthy.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• JulieC
      JulieC commented
      Editing a comment
      Good morning!

It's a grey day today, with chances of rain. Highs predicted in the low to mid 50's. My sisters will see Mom this afternoon. Good thing the visits were moved inside! I hope my Texas sister has a good visit. It will be hard for her, she has seen Mom on a few FaceTime calls but not in person since last year.

My sisters cleaned out Mom's kitchen yesterday. Two big boxes of assorted kitchen pots, pans, etc., are going to the local Goodwill. They called me over to go through it to see if there was anything I needed or wanted. I have more than enough for my kitchen, but I took a small dish and the extra toaster. I was thinking about getting rid of my toaster oven, as I only use it for toast, and replacing it with a toaster. I will be nice to get some of my counter back. We ended up keeping a dutch oven style pot, just because it was so Mom. It's probably from the 1970's -- it is white with yellow and orange flowers, and a brown lid.

Today will be a repeat of yesterday, with time in the sewing room and cleaning and laundry. I am in the mood to bake. Perhaps some pumpkin cupcakes are in order.

Have a wonderful day!

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Good morning everyone!

Monique...sounds like you had a wonderful day! Thanks for sharing.

My day yesterday was spent waiting for the bed delivery people that showed up at my mama's home, hours late and right while she was at dinner. I was promised when I bought them that they would fit the delivery window the home gave us. Thankfully everyone was at dinner and they still let them jn. I was actually heading out the door when they came in. I had missed my meds amd supper by that time. Needless to say I wasn't very happy. After they left I discovered the mattress in a box that did not come was stained on top amd under the topper. Another company and thing to deal with. Her apartment is coming along though and she is settling in. That's the main thing.

Hubby and I did a curbside pick up of a couple of storage cabinets. We will have to go over amd assemble when hubby is ready to do that...hopefully today or tomorrow. That's the last of it other than a few little things still to order. I was going to go and pack today, but after yesterday and today...and the rsin today...I think I'll save myself all that driving and stay home. I think some Christmas quilting therapy is in order. If I can ever decide on what I'm doing lol.

Have a wonderful day everyone! Stay happy, healthy and safe!

• Rhonda K
      Rhonda K commented
      Editing a comment
      Good morning,

It's been raining off and on this morning since 5 am. Since I slept until 9 am how do I know that? I would love to do some gardening but need to wait for now. Doctor appointment for shoulder pain that hasn't gone away and I don't want to aggravate it too much. I did manage a light mop on the kitchen floors already this morning.

Not sure what I want work on today. I had to trim down the pillow cases for DGS as they were too big. Easy and quick using the serger.

Hope your day is a day filled with happiness and love!

Ah Joy you and I were writing at the same time, and I even checked to see who was on-line. Oh well, have a great day and baby that knee of yours. I hope you stay safe from the wildfires.
    Last edited by Monique; October 18, 2020, 07:35 AM.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• srgreene
      srgreene commented
      Editing a comment
      Joy, I was thinking about you last night watching the fire news. Glad you're not in harms way. Praying that today's colder temps will slow these fires down.

Sandy

Good morning Joy and everyone,

So glad to hear your knee is a little better, and you were able to sleep last night.

Another fire??!! I always feel so sorry for folks who have to evacuate and leave so much behind, not knowing what they will return home to.

Winter seems to be hiding just around the corner. It's been in the 20's at night, high 30's during the day. We were supposed to have snow on Saturday, but it went south and east of us instead. Thinking it was going to snow, DH took Fri. afternoon off to work on picking up the leaves in the yard. He's done it twice now, but there will be more to come. He wishes the leaves would fall all at once and be done!

We plan to go to Grand Forks today, stock up on necessities, and go out for a meal. I need to get some storage/organizational items. I'm in the process of combining the stuff from two dressers into one, so I can get rid of one of them. I brought my mom's glider rocker home from the rental house (Mom and Dad's old home) that we are in the process of selling, and I want to make room for it in one of the bedrooms. Dad bought it for her the last Christmas she was with us. She only got to use it for about 6 weeks.

Not much sewing happening here. I have such a mess in the two bedrooms, and things have been dumped in the sewing room a well. I can't be creative while surrounded with stacks and stacks, so it might be a while. I'm off to get another cup of coffee. Have a peaceful Sunday everyone.
    Jeanne

Comment

Good morning. The sun is shining nicely again today. Yesterday was a busy day both in and outside the house. A couple weeks ago one of the storms ripped our flag off the flag holder completely breaking the holder off the pole. Hubby got a new one this last week and we worked on getting that installed. Now Old Glory is flying beautifully again outside. After we completed that, dh worked on a couple small projects around the yard and I headed upstairs to the sewing room and completed an embroidery order I had. Then I hemmed some yoga pants I just got in the mail on Friday. I foresee a lot of staying at home days continuing in our future and I already have a couple of these very comfy pants so I decided I needed more. And, being "vertically challenged" , hemming always needs to happen.

After all that was completed, we settled down to watch a bit of baseball and I started a new book that I got from the library a couple weeks ago. I will need to renew it as I know I will never finish it before it's due date this coming Thursday. Especially since I am hoping to take a trip up to my sister's for a couple days this week. We both need a bit of "sisty" time as we call it. I haven't a gotten to spend any real time with her in their new house yet.

Joy, sorry to hear about the new fires around you. And glad you got another good night's sleep. Jeanne, good luck with your cleaning out project. I felt so much more creative last week after I tackled an area in the spare bedroom and was able to get some things out of my sewing room and back into the closet in the spare bedroom where they needed to be.

Have a good day everyone.
      Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

• Ginny B
        Ginny B commented
        Editing a comment
        No, Joy, I haven't used that tape. I should look for some since I have to hem everything. And hemming is not a favorite thing of mine to do for some reason.

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        I still had seam tape on hand pre covid. I've inherited some from mama's sewing box too. I like hand sewing but not hemming so much.

• Momofmonsters5
        Momofmonsters5 commented
        Editing a comment
        We can still get it local, let me know if you're in need.

Joy, don't you wonder when the fires will stop? Are you really close? I pray not. It must be pretty dry there, too. We have very dry conditions but no fires but we don't get the fires like you and those in the western states. Praying you stay safe. Those knee exercises do help, at least mine do. My knees are starting to do very well and it has been 3 weeks since my injections. They also told me they would not be "full strength" for 6 weeks. If this is all the better they get I can live with that. I just need to make sure I get them up every once in a while during the day. Nights have been much less painful lately, too.
      Carlie

Comment

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        We are not close to the new fire. DS#2 was out & about yest. & snapped some pics on his phone. The red glow of the burning foothills last eve. were visible from the western side of our town. I hope the cooler temps. today help. Much of our state is very dry. We had a long, hot
        summer. If only the winds will stay calm.

Joy...hugs and thoughts are with you. Stay safe and heal!
      Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Good morning everyone!

I have posted on Monique's post.

Have a wonderful day everyone! Stay happy, healthy and safe!
        Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

animated-good-morning-image-0031.gif ​​​​​​Joy I don't envy you , fires are frightening. I remember my sisters in law telling me about the ash falling on their homes during the Lac Megantic fire.
          My quilt treasure from the thrift store didn't wash well. The dial fell off the washer ( only bought it a few months ago) my daughter put the dial back on. Apparently the dial settings became different and the quilt went thru' a hot water cycle. I couldn't even cry I was so shocked at the flood of navy blue dye that bled thru' all of the quilt. Lisa felt so bad , I said any of us could have done it, it was the washer's fault. She went to the store and grabbed me a couple bottles of Dawn dish soap. I read it works miracles on bleeding quilts. Jack fixed the dial. I laid the quilt in the bathtub filled it with cold water and added in a whole bottle of Dawn. The water turned blue . I let it sit a few hours, drained the tub and did it again. Miracle stuff that Dawn. It worked.
          The thrift store in Belleville had reopened , they had been closed all summer. Over the years when ever we went there , they were always asking Jack to be a volunteer there. Yesterday a french lady who volunteers there was talking to Jack and the next thing I knew he was a volunteer there ! So tomorrow when he goes over to do the paper work, I might go and have a look around. I did get a bag full of fake pumpkins yesterday.
          The leaves on the trees didn't like the frost the other night, Their vibrant colors are faded now. Autumn doesn't last long enough. Hope everyone is having a quiet happy Sunday.

Comment

• JCY
            JCY commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, who knew Dawn was such a magic worker?!

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            Whew! Glad the Dawn worked. That could have been heartbreaking!

• Ginny B
            Ginny B commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, really? Dawn! I have a baby blanket that the teal green ran. I might try some dawn.

Good morning,

Joy, Glad you could rest and ice the knee. Those fires are scary and come up so sudden.

Yes, to dawn saving the quilt! We used it for dog shampoo on our rescue dog when he fell into the muddy pond. I use it to wash sun-brella fabric cushion covers too.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            It works great for many things. It is powerful though! I soaked a baked on non-stick baking sheet with it, left it for a few hours and it permanently rusted it. Took the baked on mess and finish right off.

Morning everyone.

Just got back from picking up our latest grocery order and Patsy decided she wanted to stay in the car. I don't know if any of you have ever had a basset, but they can be very stubborn. We finally got her out (not really sure what that was all about). Not a rant, but just a curiosity. The latest thing for our Walmart not to have now is Brooks chili beans. Ever since I can remember Mom used Brooks for her chili, and I do as well, although I have to mix them with no sodium chili beans to keep me able to eat it. Since the summer our Walmart hasn't had them. Every other store in the area does, but not them. Strange.

Cheryl's sister insists on coming down for the birthday party today. Cheryl tried to talk her out of it, but she won't listen. She says she's only been around a few people, but of course she doesn't know who they have been around. There's nothing we can do about it, other than stay home, but I hope nothing tragic comes from this.

Not much else happening today. I'm toying with the idea of working on a quilt, but just doing it once or twice a week instead of every day. Still going through my notes for my article. Gotta go, Patsy is demanding a treat.

Have a nice weekend all.

Rob
          There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
          --Ken Burns

Comment

Good Afternoon Everyone. I made a quick trip to Dollar General this morning and came out with several bags plus paper towels. I love shopping there. I then wanted to make a quick stop at the grocery store but they had too many cars in the lot for my comfort. I will go there tomorrow morning at 6.

I baked two loaves of banana bread and they are cooking...Jeff keeps circling like a great white shark. I’m making a pot of chili for dinner today so we have something hearty to start the new week.

There’s nothing going on in the sewing room today. It’s been thundering and raining off and on for hours

Have a good day!
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Good afternoon everyone. I just got home from a weekend visit to see my youngest sister. AC in my car seems to have died between DD's house and mine. I guess I'll make arrangements to have it serviced. I just checked and early voting is available today until 7 pm only one mile from the house. I think I'll check out the wait time in an hour or so. Got home to see my order of backing fabric was delivered this morning. That means I'll get to finish the quilt tonight. Not much else happening.

Comment

Good Evening All,

It was so nice to have a really hot shower this morning. I guess they turned the hot water tank down so there wouldn't be any chance of getting scalded. Tonight, I just may soak in the tub!

It's been a beautiful day here in Charlotte. We went to my Aunt and Uncle's this morning after breakfast. We stayed until almost 1:30 then we headed out to let the dog have a potty break. After she had a nice walk, Mike and I headed toward our old neighborhood to visit with one of his friends. We stayed there until after 4. We ate dinner at Fresh Chef, it was delicious and got the car washed at Auto Bell and detailed. It's nice to have it clean again.

Tomorrow we'll go to the dealership, and let them have a look at the car. I'll visit with my cousin while we're there. After that, we're going to see Jerrod and the bank. Tuesday morning, we'll head back to Florida. Mike will have a few days to relax before he has to go back to work. I'll be able to set up my sewing machine and finish the VT wall hanging and get back to work on the sew questor quilt.

Have a great evening!
                Katrina
                “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I tried to comment above about the Dawn and kept getting "You are not authorized to post". In this section I am getting server error. Makes me wonder if I have been banned ..

Comment

• TMP
                    TMP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, I guess I wasn't but it sure was a PAIN trying to post here.

• JCY
                    JCY commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did you check to see if you still were logged in? Sometimes if a member has been on a while or writes a lengthy post, we get timed out & have to login again.
                Working...
                X