It's Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Tuesday

OH MY GOODNESS, yesterday felt like a Sunday. We had a fairly nice sunny start to the day, albeit a little chilly. I had laundry to do and decided to use my dryer as I had cleared a path to get to it on Saturday. I made cauliflower soup. I was piddling around and threw out some 'stuff' that was no good.

This morning we have a rainy start to the day. I work today, the operative word here is WORK!! not SEW!! I have no doubt I will be busy as yesterday was a holiday.

Have a great day everyone. Stay safe and stay healthy.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Good morning to all!

My oh my Monique, you’re sure a busy one. I wish I could bottle some to use when I’m low on steam!

Ive been busy too, just not like you. My FIL passed away earlier this year. Everything went through probate. He wouldn’t make a will or do anything, no matter how hard we all tried. With COVID probate was finally done late last month. We spent 3 - 12 hour days cleaning up. My BIL will have an estate sale this weekend (the house is several states away). The plan.....and hope, is to put it up for sale the first of November. It’s the last thing to deal with and we’re hoping it sells fast. We haven’t heard yet from the realtor what the asking price will be suggested at. Time will tell.

Some way, some how I smashed a toe against something. I remember the pain and kept going. Now the big toe nail is black, the toe swollen and wow! It hurts. DH wants me to go to the docs.....in this age of COVID, who knows what’ll be. I’m thinking of heating up a needle and “relieving” myself of some pain. At least it sounds simple online 🤪 and I have lots of needles .....

So thankful for so much. I’m thankful for all of you....you keep me sane....if that’s possible 😀
    Hope y’all have a fantabulous day! 👍 🌞
    💫 Star lover

Comment

• cjsews
      cjsews commented
      Editing a comment
      I had banged my finger once and the nail turned black. Yep same pain you are talking about. My DH took a very fine drill bit and by hand used it to go thru the nail. I don’t remember it hurting but, once it got thru to relieve the pressure from under it felt so much better. Hope yours is better soon

• 201 Treadler
      201 Treadler commented
      Editing a comment
      ouch virtual hugs.
      take a photo and email your doctors surgery for distance advice via phone,
      personally would put tcp on it then bandage carefully not to cut off circulation, until advised medically,
      * to hang from the ceiling for it to drain..(*joking here)
      hugs
      T

• Paisley
      Paisley commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok. I regained concousness (sp??) after reading your post Anita then again and again after reading about the needle and drill bit being used. I’m sorry you banged your toe and am feeling woozie again after proofreading my post.

Anita, I don’t know anything about puncturing your toenail to release the blood. It doesn’t sound like a good idea to me. I have had experience with a toenail that falls off about every ten years caused by surgery I had on my toe years ago. The thought of keeping the old nail that falls off to protect your nail bed sounds weird. It takes months for a new nail to grow in. The nail bed is sensitive for the first few days after the nail comes off. I find that using a bandaid and wearing socks for a few days is enough protection. Then I switch just to a bandaid as needed. Good luck.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• K. McEuen
      K. McEuen commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I agree, get rid of the nail. Taping it back on is a good way to trap nasty stuff. Bacitracin or neosporin on a bandaid and call it good. Before it comes off it can
      e soaked in warm water with epsom salts, to help with some pain relief.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with what Karen just said...not that I'm a nurse. I just recently cut off a bit off the top of my index finger and nail while making supper. It was very tender at first but I wore bandaids and my leather thimble to protect it. After a few days it wasn't so bad. It's healed nicely now and the nail bed toughened up.

Good morning!

We're expecting a sunny, dry day today, with a high in the mid 60's. We have our weekly visit with Mom today, it should be inside. Where inside is the million dollar question. My sister and I have issues with stairs -- she had a knee replacement but does not have 100% mobility, and I have arthritis in both of mine. I told the facility this. Here's hoping they put us on the first floor. But, their track record of listening isn't the greatest, so we shall see.

I found someone with a truck to transport Mom's old bed! A friend of mine talked to her hubby and he will help us. He volunteers at a local animal shelter walking dogs, and will be near Mom's facility on Wednesday. I will let the facility know and finally that chore will be off the list. I ordered a family dinner pack from Honey Baked Ham to be picked up Thursday. It is one pound of sliced ham plus two sides and a package of rolls. That will give us dinner Thursday night and maybe lunch for one or both sisters the next day.

I came home from working on site yesterday and no sooner did I turn in the driveway than one of my friends pulled in. She drops off her newspapers every once in a while for me to use in the bunny's cage. We chatted for a bit in the driveway. We haven't seen each other for a couple of months and it was good to catch up.

Well, I'm getting that dratted "invalid server response" message. It seems to be on a shorter timer today. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Great news about the bed Julie. Enjoy your visit with your mom. Fingers crossed you don't have to do stairs!

• Bubby
      Bubby commented
      Editing a comment
      Good news about the bed. Something else off of your mind

• Paisley
      Paisley commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad somebody you know will bring the bed.

Good morning everyone!

Yesterday was a busy day. I went with hubby to Home Depot to do a curbside pick up. We badly needed to get gutters as the new roof had none yet and the rain was leaking water into hubby's workshop. We couldn't believe how busy it was at the store...packed!! Only half of the people wearing masks. We stayed in our car, but people were going past us as we were loading, which took a while as they got the order wrong, as usual. It really made me nervous!

Had a fence visit with my stepdad. He was great yesterday. Stuck on repeat, but no confusion and happy. My mama sounded in good spirits as well. We had leftovers for dinner. Two days in a row hasn't sat well with me this morning. Back to gruel and greens for me today! Talked with more family and friends and did a bit of sewing. I'm finally turning my denim 9 blocks into something (since not using them for my bed quilt now). I'm making a birthday gifts sack for hubby. Waiting for Heat n Bond to arrive today to finish it.

We never did get to the apartment yesterday. Probably won't go today as it's raining hard and I don't really feel like driving that long distance. GERD is bad this morning too and hubby needs to get that gutter on!

Pulled out my Christmas fabrics yesterday. Starting to think about what to do with them. I think I'll start with a wallhanging. Then on to making gifts. I know I should have started earlier on that, and I tried this summer, but I can't seem to get into the spirit of it until after Thanksgiving for some reason.

Monique...don't work too hard!

Have a great day everyone! Stay happy, healthy and safe!
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      I am shocked and surprised that masks are not mandatory in stores in BC. They have been mandatory here since almost the beginning, and fines are being enforce since the summer. I would be afraid of being near or going into a store without a mask now. I guess its not unusual, that even before COVID during flu season, some people wore masks.

I feel I also need to pull out Christmas fabrics. A few years ago, I reduced that one bin to almost non-existent. Then I wont FQ bundle at my guild and that started the xmas inspiration again.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Suzanne...some stores have a mask policy and we have masks now on transit..partially in schools. I wish it were mandatory everywhere, as I do have to go out sometimes and my health ia extremely compromised. Some people here are resorting to verbal abuse and violence. ..cheating and lying to not wear them. It's so sad.

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Our governor has mandated mask wearing for the past several months & just extended the order for another mo.

Good morning. We have had rain and clouds thanks to the remanents of Delta. It gave me a chance to finish cutting the pieces for my new quilt. I will measure each block now — a lesson I learned on the last one .

Talking about toe nails— I lost both of mine at the same time due to wearing cleats that did not fit. It was a painful process to grow new ones. Another lesson learned- do not wear shoes that don’t fit.

Heard that it is National M&M Day. I like the peanut ones. Hopefully I am getting a little protein.

Comment

• Cathy F
      Cathy F commented
      Editing a comment
      Who doesn't like M&M's, yum!

• minipinlady
      minipinlady commented
      Editing a comment
      M&M day ? seriously ? Never heard of it but not a fan of those candies, they will do if there is a feeling of candy withdrawl coming on, but i am a Reeses Pieces girl myself. M&M don't taste like they did whenI was a kid. I find they have a powedery after taste of bitter chocolate on them. What we need is a Global Licorice day ..

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Mmmm...Reeses Pieces and licorice

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Mmmm, M&Ms. Something I wouldn't dare eat due to my diabetes. I'm been having higher than usual blood sugars since I got that cortisone shot last week. I'm being very careful of what I eat & drinking green tea to help bring bring down my levels.

Well, after that blustery day Sun. with the temp. drop, yest. turned out to be beautiful & the temp. got up to 80 deg. It's supposed to be just as warm today. I'm giving the sprinkler system its final run of the season. They come tomorrow to blow out the system. I checked the forecast; we're getting the blow-out done just in time. There are cold temps. on the way.

We received our mail-in ballots on Sat. We both have voted & our ballots go out in the mail today. We've voted by mail-in for many years. So much easier than standing in a line somewhere.

My knee felt enough better yest. that I changed the sheets on DH's bed, but I didn't feel up to doing the usual vacuuming. I did just his bed. With the usual Mon. laundry, plus the bedding, I ended up doing 5 loads. Today I'll be baking DH's spelt bread, so that will take up much of the morning. I still have not done any sewing. Too many other irons in the fire right now.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like you did a lot for someone just getting over an illness. Take care Joy.

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy to hear that your knee is doing better. I know that when my daughter gets medications, even something as simple as cold medicine, her sugars go crazy. It is unbelievable the things like medications can affect your sugars so much. Jennifer's colds are nasty and she always ends up with high sugars.

• Nwmnteacher
      Nwmnteacher commented
      Editing a comment
      Carlie, my doctor told me a person's blood sugar rises when you're sick. I had a miserable sinus infection, and my levels were quite a bit higher than usual, so I asked about it.

Good morning. Still grey out there. We accomplished quite a bit during the rainy day yesterday. I tackled the overflowing hamper and we also got the family room rearranged. I emptied out my mom's hope chest and we got it moved into the room. The plus about needing to empty it out was that I got to go through all the contents before putting everything back in. I have a pile of things set aside to bring up to my sis for her to go through.

Today hubby is making dinner so no need for me to spend time in the kitchen. And since laundry was done yesterday, it seems I have the day open to whatever I would like to do. Should I spend time cleaning out an area of the upstairs spare bedroom? Maybe. Work a bit in the garage? Nope. Answer the voice calling to me from my sewing room? Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner! I need to do a bit of clean up of the leftovers from Zeke and Aviendha's quilts and then start on new projects.

So off I go. Have a good day everyone. Be safe. Stay well.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Joy, I’m glad your knee is feeling somewhat better. Believe me, I have to ration my daily taste of chocolate. Rice (any type) is the worst thing I can eat, sending my sugar to the moon. I try not to eat any artificial sweeteners. I have to hand it to you for being able to drink green tea. I can’t do it.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• minipinlady
        minipinlady commented
        Editing a comment
        In our family on my mother's side we are all orange pekoe drinkers. At times I am a closet black tea drinker. My cousin Victoria drinks green tea.. I have to admire those that can drink it. It's funny because I have an aunt that always says "That green tea drinker". Every time she says I start laughing because it sounds so funny. Green tea is very good for you, and all the green tea drinkers I have ever met are actually the smartest, and they are masters of self discipline in avoiding things that are not good for them.

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        I discovered purely by accident a few yrs. ago that green tea lowers one's blood sugar. I drink the decaf. tea. I'm not crazy about it, but I drink it when my sugars are higher than they should be. Echinacea also lowers blood sugar. Before I started on Metformin, I used to take Alpha Lipoic Acid, but it aggravated my reflux & bothered my stomach, so I take it only occasionally. I know exercise would help, but... you know how that goes, esp. with a bum knee.

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to drink green and black teas and lots of herbal. These days only chamomile for me. The rest botherd my GERD. Thank goodness I grew a fair bit of chamomile in my garden this year. It seeded itself from last year. Next year I will grow more.

Good Morning all, We made it to Sulfok, VA yesterday. Mike stopped at every Harley Davidson Dealership on the way up. He collects the poker chips and gets chips for Howard's brother that is an avid Harley owner.

Spent the day with the grands yesterday. Morgan worked, but thought she was swapping to have Thursday off. They misled her, she still has to work Thurs and Fri.

This morning we'll home school here in the cabin, and after 11, we're going to the aviation museum.

Have a great day!
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Bubby
        Bubby commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad you had a safe trip. Enjoy your day!

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Have fun Katrina!

• Paisley
        Paisley commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad you made it, sounds like you’re staying busy. Enjoy your visit.

Morning all,

​​​​​Had some rain earlier and it is still grey looking doesn't look good for sun right now.

Not much new going on here. Rained yesterday and I felt the chill in my bones, I stayed in my flannel PJ's all day as I wasn't going anywhere.

I did get up to the sewing room yesterday and worked on another pillow, pretty floral fabric would be good for an older girl as opposed to a young child hope to finish it today. That will make 5 finished and put me at the half way point of the ones I have in various stages. I am determined to get them all finished!

​​​​​​​Well, off for coffee and a bite of breakfast. Wishing everyone a good day!
      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Good Morning all,

This morning is a cooler 54 and we are not going to get much about 65. Yesterday was pretty nice and I think it got a little warmer than they thought it would be. It was a nice sunny day once the rain moved on early. No rain in sight now.

I went over to Jennifer's to help with the grandkids' schoolwork. Dave stayed home as he had a nasty headache, probably from not sleeping well the night before. We had taken the A/C units out of the upstairs the previous Friday and it got a little warm upstairs and since it was storming we couldn't open the windows. Too hot for him to sleep well. He took several cat naps yesterday that helped. Makayla, the 15 year old, showed me her work online and everything looks very good. She is all up to date and no late work. Next was Natalie as Carson was online with school. This girl is so very intelligent but I don't know where her head is. She showed me her work and said, I just got a couple of things. So, we went through them and I found that one of the things she was working on was not complete from previous weeks. She will need to talk to the teacher about that today. She will be at school today instead of Thursday/Friday and that is when they have MEA (not sure what it stands for, just teachers conferences they always have in October). Then we looked at missing and/or late. My gosh this girl had 3 assignments that can no longer be turned in because it was way past the due date. She does also have something that was due last Friday that she needed her mom to do something. I informed her mom and she said she knew about it, but I'm guessing she didn't know that it was due last week. That girl! Don't know what we are going to do with her. Then on to Carson. He very quickly went through his stuff and showed me. Took less than 5 minutes. Everything done and then he goes on to tell me what is next. Extremely organized. He does only distance learning as he has asthma. The girls usually go to school Thursday & Friday. I think the way Carson is handling this will really set him up well for life, he is being very responsible, making sure he is at his desk at the time he is supposed to. He sets time reminders on his phone for a minute before he has to be on his computer so he can be there on time. He is so organized.

Enough of that. I got the Glam Girl quilt layered last night and I will be working on that tonight. Hopefully I can get that completed in the next couple of days. I already have the binding ready to go.

I talked with Dave yesterday about my cutting table. It is not sitting level. I though putting a little piece of a wood block under the leg would help. Dave said it isn't the table that is the issue, it is the floor. So, I won't be doing anything with it as it will have to be moved when I layer things. He did notice just how wobbly it is and he is going to put some braces on it so that it doesn't do that anymore. Yay!

Off now for some breakfast and on to a couple of things for the house. I will be going to Jennifer's again today as she has a post-op appointment for her hand at 1:30. Shouldn't be a problem for me as all the kids should be taking their naps.

Have a great day everyone!
        Carlie

Comment

• KarenC
          KarenC commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't tell you how many conversations my husband and I had with our kiddos about the power of zero! They did both manage to graduate thankfully. DS was diagnosed with ADHD in elementary school. So smart, but just wouldn't do his homework on time. He is on track to finish college 20 years after graduating high school. DD, another smart one, who appears to be happy just working in retail. She has moved up and has the respect of her teams and leaders, so in the end, they all beat to a different drum.

• MSN
          MSN commented
          Editing a comment
          MEA is the MN Education Association. All the schools in the state close for two days, supposedly so the teachers can go to the MEA meetings/get training, etc. Growing up, I remember most of my teachers were just like their students -- looking forward to a 4-day weekend. I think a small percentage of teachers actually attended the MEA meetings.

• CarlieBlilie
          CarlieBlilie commented
          Editing a comment
          I knew it was something like that. I remember I always looked forward to those days off but I never knew what the teachers were doing.

Bah and Humbug and Drats. Working on my last two star blocks this morning while Hubs is at Prayer Breakfast. Noticed after I sewed the block that I have the dreaded upside down star legs. I despise ripping seams and I started this project with a very small stitch length. Grrrr. Oh well, maybe it will get done tomorrow. Hubs and I are replacing rubber tread on the back door threshold today. From the Utube videos, it looks like it's easy, however, time consuming. Like Joy, we need to get the sprinklers blown out and then probably help the Son do his. He's just been notified at work he's traveling to Baton Rouge this next week so sounds like sprinklers better get done this weekend. Tomorrow is winterizing the swamp cooler and a quick visit with my favorite brother (ok - only brother.)

Enjoy your day.

Sandy

Comment

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          I made the final run of the sprinklers early this a.m. It's done, & DH managed to get the anti-siphon valve drained. It's ready for tomorrow's blow-out.

Rubber threshold - can you come do mine, too? The one from the kitchen door into the garage is split. A project like that is just beyond DH now. I try to remember to step over it so it won't get worse. Maybe it's something my son could do. However, there are other chores around here that take priority. I'm still waiting for a day he can devote to us & our chores. Hopefully before the snow flies!

• srgreene
          srgreene commented
          Editing a comment
          Joy. I'd suggest moving rather than replace the rubber. 😉. We're on bentonite and the extreme dry spell things have shifted. so rubber, shaving the door, and moving the catch plates and reinserting the rubber. And we're getting close. But no cigar yet.

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          Sandy ~ Did you get your sprinkler system blown out? It's supposed to drop into the 20's tonight. Glad ours is done & we're ready for winter.

Good morning everyone!
        We're having a rain day today with a bit of wind. Not much, though. I think it's Delta leftovers. We brought the cushions for the outdoor furniture in last night. The guy is supposed to be here sometime this week to take down and store the canvas awning. So I guess summer is over at our house. The leaves on our trees are all in shades of green, yellow, red, and orange and look so pretty!
        I haven't worked on my Valley Blossoms quilt in a few days so I hope to get back to that today. I should be doing some housework but that's easy to ignore!
        Not much else going on.
        Have a happy day!
        ~ Carol from PA

Comment

Good morning everyone,

Its a dull dreary and a bit cooler today. That's ok -- very little on the agenda today. Yesterday I cooked a turkey breast & 2 legs (I love brown meat best), stuffing and some sides, but not as many as usual. I have prepared meals-to go for my son and step-son, who are single. My son & daughter & family dropped by yesterday afternoon for an outdoor visit, masked. We are remaining in our bubble and so is my daughter's family. The only addition is her MIL who lives alone and goes to help with the kids while they work at home. Her MIL hasn't seen her DD's family with 4 GKs as they have chosen to go to school. Since they are in 3 different schools, that would extend and risk their bubble, so its also only outside visits. I gave my kids / GKs some treats from a local maple farm -- maple tarts, cones and maple popcorn. I also bought some to share with Michael's kids / GKs. Fortunately, we don't have any family history of diabetes and chocolate/sugar isn't a problem, although we are reasonable in our diets. When I grew up, mom was a baker. Not only did she have one pie for dessert, she always had several kinds, along with cake and sweet treats. My friends still joke that they would ask for one piece, and mom would pile on 2 other desserts. Oh we had pumpkin pie for dessert along with pumpkin spice pecan tarts.

I am grateful for friends who call to keep in touch. My GF Helen called and we just spoke for over an hour. Her DH is doing much better and after 6 months, his MRI scan shows no more bleeding in his brain. He is back at his regular routine, although his son & 1 employee are taking care of the store. He has been at home since Covid closures, handling the paperwork. Well into his 70s, he loves his music store, and will never retire.

OK -- time to rattle the cage to wake DH. I think he needs to get to the bank today, and I will probably go with him. Then its sewing time, or unstitching time for me. Not much else planned.

Enjoy your day.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
          X