It's Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Monday

I almost forgot to post as today is a holiday here. BUT it is Monday nonetheless.

I got my buns made (and a good batch this time, 21). We stopped and I picked up a few items at the grocery store. Then we headed to son's house. A most fabulous meal was served, and the company was great. I was pooped by the time we got home. Hubby doesn't see so well at night so I have that task. We are about 1 1/2 hours from his house.

I heard yesterday from my sister-in-law that my niece will need surgery as they found a spot on her lung, pre-cancerous (she just celebrated her one year anniversary in September). I am asking for your prayers please and thank you. I felt so bad for my sister-in-law as I was speaking with her yesterday. She told me that she didn't have much to be thankful this year. If you recall, my brother-in-law died suddenly back at the end of June, then covid hit and now her only daughter may be battling cancer for the second time.

Pat, glad you are home safe and sound.

Not sure what this day holds. I do WORK tomorrow (no way is there any kind of sewing taking place) and I know I will have a busy day.

Have a great day everyone.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Good Morning. Monique, I’m glad you had a good Thanksgiving. I will pray for your niece. If it’s pre-cancerous that’s encouraging.

I got some sewing done yesterday and all all of the large pinwheels are done(24)...now on to the small ones (48).

We had a pretty mellow day yesterday. The day was beautiful weather wise. It’s going to be windy and cooler today. We could sure use some rain.

The Girls need to be groomed. I will try to make them an appointment today. They are quite backed up for some reason.

I need my cup of tea to help me wake up this morning.

Have a great day everyone. Hugs....
    Last edited by Bubby; October 12, 2020, 07:10 AM.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Error msg. Disregard.

Last edited by Bubby; October 12, 2020, 07:11 AM.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Good Morning, Everyone ~ The weather yest. definitely was cooler. The morning was sunny, with strong breezes; the temp. got up to 77 deg. at noon. The leaves were flying off the trees! Shortly after lunch, the wind picked up & really was whipping things around. We & several of our neighbors already had our garbage toters out at curbside for today's pick-up. The carts were blown over & papers were blowing down the street. DH went out & brought the toters back up by the house till this a.m. When that wind blew in, bringing in a cold front, the temp. dropped very quickly from 77 to 60, then dropped into the 50's. The wind is bad for the firefighters. In the mts. there was rain & snow, which is helpful for the fires.

I took it easy yest. Finished my latest book, one of Jane Kirkpatrick's. I have almost all of her books in my library; they're among my favorites. I have a book going all the time.

Today is Columbus Day, so there will be no mail delivery. I'll be doing the usual laundry; there will be 3 loads.

Comment

Morning all,

A quiet day yesterday. The Sunday paper and bagels then we decided to take a leisurely ride and on the way home stopped at our small local farm stand and bought an apple pie, oh so good! I made a pot of vegetable soup and a dish of cornbread for dinner last night as I was cold and the hot soup hit the spot and as a bonus I had about a quart left over so in the freezer it went for another day.

Rained overnight and into early this morning and no sun yet hopefully it will clear and the sun will come out.

No sewing yesterday but today looks gloomy and a good day to spend time in the sewing room. So much to sew and never enough time I thought being retired there would be plenty of time for everything. I don't know where the days go they seem to fly by along with the rest of this year. My mom used to say " the older you get the faster time goes" guess so!

Well, chilly here and I need another cup of hot coffee to get started. Wishing all a good day!

If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
            CarlieBlilie commented
            Editing a comment
            There is a song that I heard on the radio a few years ago that the line goes "time has wings and it sure does fly". Beautiful song about the love of husband and wife. It was by a group called the Chris Weaver Band. Don't hear anything of them. I think the person on the radio said they were Southern Rock. Love that song.

Good morning,

Monday again and it's sunny here today. I finished the treat tote yesterday with a few changes from the original pattern. The sewing room and table will be cleaned and then I can move on to other projects. Better start the Christmas ones to get them finished in time.

Time to re-stock some pantry items. Easy to do curb-side pick up for the usual things. I love using the system as it keeps me out of the stores and I only purchase needed items.

Monique, Glad you had a nice day with family yesterday. Prayers for your niece and that she will get a good results.

Joy, That sounds like quite a cold spell blowing in.

Happy Stitches to all!
          Last edited by Rhonda K; October 12, 2020, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• JCY
            JCY commented
            Editing a comment
            Surprise! The high temp. today was 80 deg. It's a beautiful sunny day, blue skies, & much of the smoke seems to have blown away.

Good morning all. It's a rainy day here. It is a steady rain and not windy so I am enjoying the sound. I will be putting the ingredients for dinner into the crockpot. We will be having some beef barley soup. Perfect for a rainy, cool day.

Yesterday I spent a good amount of time in the sewing room working on Aviendha's quilt. I finished attaching the binding last night so I will get it and Zeke's ready to go into the mail in the next couple days. Next up will be an Elsa/Ana quilt from a panel for Tessa.

i think today I might see if I can talk hubby into doing a bit of rearranging in the family room. I can move the two small pieces I want to move but I want to bring my mom's hope chest into the room and will need help with that. Of course, I do need to empty it out first.

Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends. Happy Columbus Day to all of us here in the U.S. Have a good day everyone.
          Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Good morning everyone!

Monique...thinking of your niece and that they have caught this early. Hoping for a speedy recovery. Hug!

I spent all day in the kitchen yesterday. It was well worth it. Made roast chicken in my pottery chicken roaster. I marinated it with olive oil, lemon, thyme and garlic first. I made sausage and sage dressing for first time. Very good! A bit rich. I would cut back on the butter next time. I made sweet potatoes, corn amd German braised red cabbage. That made a huge pot full. I made a cherry cobbler for dessert. I cleaned up the carcass and put it in the freezer with the drippings ready for stock making.

After cleaning the kitchen and some phone calls and chats with friends and family I was beat and pretty much crashed lol. Slept well for the first time in a while. It was a lovely Thanksgiving. =)

Today I think we are heading to mama's old place. Hubby wants a couple pieces of furniture there and we will take a few other little things and pick up her mail. I will see her again this week when her new furniture arrives.

I've decided on a Christmas wallhanging to make. I hope to get started after I finish mama's quilt top (enlarging it). I need to measure her bed first once it's set up. Then onto my wallhanging and Christmas gifts. Yay! I love Christmas. =) I usually make homemade gifts. I have some practical sewing I've been avoiding as well....dust covers and more masks.

Have a wonderful day everyone! Stay happy, healthy and safe!
            Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              You're welcome Suzanne. Hope you like it. 😊

• JCY
              JCY commented
              Editing a comment
              Your menu & food are making me hungry! Sounds yummy!

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Joy! It was delicious again. We just had leftovers.

Good Morning to all! Looks like we are not done with summer weather yet. On another warming trend, by Friday it will be 85. I did manage to make good head way on the 3rd laptop quilt. They all may still need a border or two, just not sure yet. Will place order for some backing and batting today. Not much on my agenda today, little shuffling of items in the garage (easier access to the fridge) and some emails and online shopping. Should be a quiet and relaxing day overall.

Stay safe and have a happy day.

Comment

Good morning,

Monique - prayers for your niece, and sister-in-law. It's not an easy time, and cancer doesn't wait. I'm happy they found it early. I have delivered 2 VQC tops this week. Pam -- happy that you and your family are safe.

We are having our thanksgiving meal today since it's just the 2 of us. I bought a boneless/skinless turkey breast and realized it would be dry, so I bought 2 turkey drumsticks to cook along with it. I will make bread stuffing, and probably sweet potatoes, coleslaw and Brussel sprouts. We already cut into the pumpkin pie last night, but there's plenty. I bought it this year. I made salmon, rice and French beans. We had happy hour with shrimp and cocktail sauce. I think its a good idea to take time for each other during these times. Thanks everyone for your Thanksgiving wishes to Canadian forum members.

The past few days have been gorgeous and yesterday we worked outside. I emptied large pots half-way so they wont crack, and raked. Our ash tree has finished shedding its leaves, but there will be more when the maple, gingko and shrubs start shedding. DH also cleaned out the shed, I told him to be ruthless and he was for once. I told him no one wants to deal with our mess when they have to deal with. His response was -- oh why not, I would be smiling down at them. Such humor.

Saturday, I was determined to push myself and learn to do some custom quilting on the LA. I loaded a flannel back from VV. I pieced Tuscany wool leftovers to size 60x80 and then loaded a simple top with blocks on points with setting triangles and border. I quilted the corner and one side of border. Then I did setting triangles and 2 corner triangles. Moved up the quilt, and picked a design for the plain block. Sized it and started stitching. For some reason the design on the computer was not translating into that design on the block. ARGG -- so I stopped it when it was 75% done, as it also spilled over into another block. So I started unpicking -- challenging as there are a lot of double passes with thread. ARGG again. Then I realized I loaded the top wrong direction, not lengthwise, but short-side up. DOUBLE ARGG -- i kept unpicking and will deal with the need to add more backing when I get to that point. I had to stop after an hour and half as my shoulders were killing me. A good glass of wine helped that.

I have been speaking with mom a lot this week, and I see a growing trend. She is definitely stuck in the 80s, when they sold their home and moved to Ottawa. This move was not my dad's idea, but mom always got her way. They sold during a recession for a lot less than they could have gotten, so they could be close to their grandson. She is worried that the money will run out (too late that train has left the station), and how my dad will take care of her (again, dad died in 2000). She is reminding me to disperse their furniture & items. I assured her that we took what we wanted and the rest, they kept. I mentioned this and she clearly did not remember this. I had to reassure her that I would look after he ( and take her Pomeranian Tippy, RIP 1975) , but that we were not allowed to visit, even though the outbreak in their home is clear. Our city is a hot zone, and as of Friday, restaurants, bars, gyms are closed for 28 days. to lessen the curve. Take out and delivery are still allowed, and for this we are grateful. When I spoke to the nurse, it didn't reveal a bladder infection or fever, but these are probably from the Covid she suffered. Many people survive, but have long-term effects. I guess for her this is her symptoms, as she definitely experienced delirium when she was affected in May.

Today I am grateful for the comforts that my life provides, and pray that our families will be safe from this wretchet and shameless virus.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 2 photos.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• Paisley
                Paisley commented
                Editing a comment
                The comment your DH made reminded me that it may be time to do a little thinning of belongings here. Beautiful quilting!

• Hillbillyhike
                Hillbillyhike commented
                Editing a comment
                Sending a big hug your way Suzanne! It hurts my heart to hear you going through this with your mom. It must be so hard for you .

• ktdid
                ktdid commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh, how I feel for you Suzanne, it's so painful to see this loved one that was once so vibrant & full of life, slowly fade away. My best friend had this, a part of me died the day she didn't know who I was. My thoughts are with you, Blessings to you !

Good Morning Everyone =)
              Yesterday we had a turkey supper that turned out really well. It was just myself and Jack home. Lisa had to work so Jack dropped off a turkey supper to her there. I made an apple sponge cake that Jack really liked. He asked I leave it out at room temp, rather than put it in the fridge. It's already half gone , which is good, less temptation for me.
              Cooking in the kitchen yesterday helped to alleviate the stress of yet another wave of the plague, and it's restrictions. Hermits don't usually go stir crazy but if I had the stamina and a dog stroller I may have gone on a long Forest Gump run. Instead I just put a bowl of apple peels under the bushes for the skunks that visit every night.. I may have spoiled them with the spaghetti left over the other night.
              Laid out the turtles quilt top the other day on my work table and that was as far I got on any progress with it. It may be the Halloween fun in my game world , as I can't seem to get some enthusiasm flowing on making quilts the last few days. Maybe it is just that I don't have someone in mind for it. But if I don't work on a quilt today, there is a house I plan to build in cartoon world .
              I will keep your niece in prayers.

Comment

Good Morning all,

Monique, prayers for your niece. Thankful that it is pre-cancerous and praying it is quickly taken care of.

We had bunch of rain last night, 1.75 inches. It was still raining when I got up and starting to clear off by the time I headed to the grocery store. Now home for a quick note and then I'm off to my daughter's house to go over her kids' school stuff. She has asked Dave and I to help out a couple times a month to make sure they are all on task. Dave is fighting a headache this morning and we both felt it would be better for him to stay home as the medication has not started working yet. I would rather he be home if it gets worse so he can lay down if need be.

No sewing done yesterday but I did move things around so I can keep my cutting table set up all the time. Just need Dave to make me a small piece of wood to place under the leg as it is drooping a little.

I'm off to Jennifer's, have a great day everyone!
                Carlie

Comment

Morning, today is a fast day (Intermittent fasting 5:2 for Hubs A1C) so no heavy lifting required in the kitchen. Hubs is doing great and has dropped around 10 lbs with the plan. Yay. He'll test A1C again in November. I've dropped about 4lbs which is a nice bonus since I'm still carrying a bit of pre-retirement bulk.

I'm going to finish my Amelia Earhart blocks today but I'll need to get my head anchored a bit more. I seem to be wandering a bit and so are my seams. Good thing, I guess, that I'm not a surgeon

Hubs agreed to take me on a picnic tomorrow to help me deal with my isolation restlessness. We'll head west since the fires are north. We can usually find a pull off near a stream and pull out the picnic bag and blanket. We haven't picnic'd since early August when the fires started and made so much of our area smoky and hazy - not conducive to breathing.

Joy - the wind gusts down here were incredible yesterday We don't have deciduous trees in our yard, but boy howdy the pines shed like crazy. I just raked them last week and I'll need to do it again.

Enjoy your day all.

Sandy

Comment

We have a little fall creeping in, it is so pretty. The picture doesn't do it justice.IMG_1435.JPG
                    Our property stops at the fence but I claim the muscadine vine, no fruit, just fall color.
                    Dh goes to the doctor today to see why he is having trouble sleeping laying down. He can sleep upright fine but has breathing trouble when he is horizontal. I don't think it is apnea since he is awake when the trouble starts.
                    We need to make a short grocery stop while we are out, an exciting day.
                    Happy Thanksgiving and Columbus Day.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                      Hillbillyhike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Claire...sending positive vibes your way. I hope your hubby has nothing to be concerned about. Hug!

• Claire Hallman
                      Claire Hallman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      So far nothing definitive. He had an EKG and chest x-ray. The EKG was Ok, don't know about the x-ray yet. He has a new Rx for re-flux and a referral to a cardiologist so we will see what happens.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I hope that your husband can get checked out quickly and rule out any serious issues. I will keep him in my thoughts.

Good morning!

My lament about not reading anything bookwise yesterday was the kick in the pants I needed to get started. I picked up a book off the "to read" pile about a debate between James Baldwin and William F. Buckley in the 1960s at Cambridge University. I read a review of it in the NYT and it looked fascinating, so I started reading. Only got through about 15 pages (I swear, publishers put sleeping powder in the books they sell), but it's a really good book. Didn't get the double nine patch done yesterday, but maybe today. Here is the picture of the GFG quilt that Cheryl did for my sister after she redid it. Now it looks more like it will fit a twin bed.
                    GFG.jpg
                    I also am posting the pillow sham she did. Cheryl actually quilted this one.
                    GFG Sham.jpg
                    The final picture is the backing we chose for the quilt.
                    GFG Backing.jpg
                    Of course, someone had to be constantly looking at what was going on. It will be up to my sister to get it quilted as Cheryl just doesn't feel comfortable handling a quilt this size.

Beautiful day out this morning. I think later in the morning I'll take my book and sit Patsy outside on her tie out and read for a while.

Have a great day all!

Rob
                    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                    --Ken Burns

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                      Hillbillyhike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It looks great. Nice job Cheryl!

• Bubby
                      Bubby commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Rob I thought about you this morning when I grocery shopped. There were plenty of bananas and canned pumpkin. However, there was no bread other than some smashed hamburger buns and one package of bagels. Go figure! Would you trade me some bread for bananas?

• Rob the HOAQ
                      Rob the HOAQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well, given that I can't stand bananas (they are ALL Cheryl's), and I bought three packages of King's Hawaiian Buns (only 125 mgs of sodium per bun), I'd have to say no. You might have something that Patsy would want, though.

Rob
                  Working...
                  X