Sunday hellos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday hellos

Good morning dear friends. I don't usually post on weekends but since I am here.......

I had a busy day yesterday. On Friday I came home to find that hubby has moved the 'new' fridge to it's proper location. It has been sitting all week in a sort of hallway. Good to get that thing out of the way. BUT, the old fridge was sitting in front of the sink, waiting to be emptied. So my job on Saturday was transferring food from one to other. A lot of stuff went in the garbage. Now my new one looks so empty, LOL!! Well I got it done and decided to post the old one for FREE on our community site and not 5 minutes later a neighbour comes with a dolly and takes the old one. AWESOME!! Hubby had gone to town by this time.

After that the next job was to put away lawn furniture but before I could that I had to go looking for a chainsaw I knew we had for my son who is moving. He will need to chop firewood. Also found an axe that he wanted. Then I had the bright idea of putting two items at the end of the driveway so maybe someone would come along an take them. Well said neighbour also took the onion bin but didn't need the microwave stand. Eventually when I did a dump run I took the stand with me.

And then I started straightening out the 'back' room. Seems it is a junk room where hubby is always putting stuff. My dryer is there and it was a battle to get to. So I got about half the room organized enough that I can move around. I told hubby NO MORE stuff in there.

Then it was time for a nap. And so that is how my yesterday went.

Bread machine is working this morning. I am taking buns to son's this afternoon for dinner. No worries, we are all in the same bubble. I also need to grab a few groceries along the way as everything will be closed tomorrow for Thanksgiving. Looks like hubby isn't going to the camp after all. Oh well. I work Tuesday and Wednesday was cancelled. Hoping to get busy sewing in the coming week. The little town I will work in is now in RED ZONE. We here are still in the Orange Zone. Here is an explanation of Zone levels for our province. Keep in mind that we are about 1 hour from Ottawa going north west, in the Outaouais.

And so my friends that is my world today. Wishing all my Canadian friends a Happy Thanksgiving. And to all, a safe and healthy day.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Monique, you had a busy & productive day yest. Good to see your post this a.m. We have people here who put items out at curb side for people to pick up. But sometimes they sit there a long time.

After breakfast yest. I headed out to the groc. stores. Neither Vitamin Cottage nor Whole Foods had my favorite flavor of kombucha, so I batted 0 on that. I did restock on organic flour. My favorite groc. store was busy; that's why I try avoid going to the store on the week ends. My brand of eggs was sold out, so I had to buy an alternative product. I found everything else on my list. By the time I got home, I was extremely tired. Still don't have my energy back from being sick. DH carried in the groc. for me while I put things away. Then I had to sit down & rest & have a snack before doing anything else. I took it easy the rest of the day.

I'm staying home from church today & will watch on YT.

For those Rory Feek followers (gospel song writer & singer), I saw a short video on YT last eve. that he is resuming concerts at his Hardison Mills Farm theater. I know we have some folks here who live in TN. Rory lives not far from Nashville. Also, for those who enjoy Mat & Savanna Shaw's lovely music -- father/dau. duo -- they are doing a live chat on YT (& other media) at 2 p.m. MDT today. It sounds like maybe some sort of an announcement is in the works. Maybe they are releasing their new CD?

It's supposed to be only 70 deg. today. We hit 84 yest. Cooler weather is on the way.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      It's funny that you mention Rory Feek, Joy. Hubby and I were just watching the Rosa String Works ( YouTube string instrument making and repair channel hubby watches) performing Rory Feek's song...Josephine. It's a beautiful Civil War era song and they do a lovely job of it. I was just reading that Rory Feek wrote and directed a movie called Finding Josephine. Will have to try and find it and watch it with hubby.

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      I started watched Joey & Rory when Bill Gaither first introduced them on his Homecoming video program. I had never heard of them before that. I have followed them over the past several years. I love their beautiful music together. Then the Gaithers had a follow-up program after their Down's Syndrome daughter, Indiana, was born. Then the sad story of Joey's cancer & death maybe 4 yrs. ago. Rory is such a great dad. Indy now is 6 y.o. & going to the special school that was built on their farm. I've followed Rory's blog a long time, then he started making video stories & glimpses into their lives. I never did see the movie Josephine, but I watched a video about it being made. There is a connection, I think, to Josephine from the original owners of Rory's farm. The DVD probably is available at the store on Rory's web site, or maybe other places like Amazon.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      I was reading that he found around 150 civil war letters on that farm he bought and that's how the sing Josephine came about.

Morning all,

Yesterday was a busy day at our home. My daughter, son-in-law, and their dog came from New Jersey to celebrate our anniversary early since they had plans for next weekend. We also had my son, daughter-in-law, and three grandkids come over to celebrate with us and to also celebrate my granddaughter's 23rd birthday which was last week. A lovely family day spent together and then they ordered pizza's for dinner which meant an easy stress free dinner and clean-up.

Today we will take it easy and just relax around the house. Hopefully I will get up to my sewing room. Instead of doing our craft fair this year(which is now cancelled) I had decided to do a holiday open house with my handmade items. It gets to be a lot carting everything back and forth and my knee isn't up to it) but Covid changed those plans so I wasn't sewing in preparation for it. Now I've gotten a few orders from friends for my reading pillows and I'm lacking in the amount that is needed so now I better put the pedal to the metal so to speak.

​​​​​​​Well, time for my coffee so I will wish everyone a good day! Monique, Suzanne and all our Canadian forum members enjoy your Thanksgiving!

If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Cathy! I am making a roast chicken dinner for the two of us tonight. Mama is still in isolation and stepdad in lockdown. Usually we drive to lake country to see my inlaws Thanksgiving weekend, but not this year. They don't take Covid precautions and I can't risk it. Since hubs and I aren't big fans of turkey...chicken it is!

Good Morning....The house is quiet. Jeff is outdoors with the Girls. I just drank my tea and put a load of laundry in the dryer.

Pam called me yesterday and we had a nice chat she and Gordon were going to drive home yesterday. She had no idea
    about the condition or their house or trees. I hope everything is undamaged. They haven’t fully caught up with the damage from Hurricane Laura, much less adding to it.

It’s going to be cooler today so hopefully we won’t need the a/c. Yesterday I got a few more large pinwheels made. The small ones take longer to make and I need twice as many of them as the large ones.

Monique, you had quite a productive day yesterday. A new fridge is a nice thing, even if it’s new to you. I love it that you can put things on the curb for free and people cart them away. We did that when we moved here. We got rid of a lot of things that way. We live on a dead end road now without a curb.

What to fix for dinner today escapes me. We had hamburgers, slaw and baked beans last night. Maybe we will have breakfast for dinner.

Cathy, a holiday open house sounds great. Will it be by invitation? I’m sure it will be a success.

Jeff just came in with the Girls carrying on, so I will check in later.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to our friends to the North!

Have a good day....
    Last edited by Bubby; October 11, 2020, 08:59 AM.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Cathy F
      Cathy F commented
      Editing a comment
      Barb, yes, the holiday open house was to be by invitation only with items for sale displayed throughout the living room dining room and sunroom. However with Covid I don't feel comfortable doing it. I've been invited up to my friend Liz's lake house November to sew with 4 of my friends, we do it every year. She has asked me to bring whatever I have so far so they can shop for some holiday gifts.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Barb!

Good morning all. It looks to be a pleasant day here today until the rain arrives tonight. Then we will have some wet weather through tomorrow. Remnants of Delta.

We finally got to work in the shed yesterday. It is nice and organized now and a large bag of trash waiting to be put out this week. The last two bags of mulch are also put down in front of it too. We had put off working in that area because that is where the poison ivy was. So hubby banned me from there until he got that all sprayed and hopefully taken care of. I did still, however, wear long pants and socks to make sure nothing brushed my ankles in case there was an errant offending leaf still lurking about and also a long sleeved shirt. It was a bit warm but I felt safer that way. I mostly was inside the shed though anyway. I guess we will see if all of that kept me safe from any lingering poison ivy. I didn't see any around, but then again I didn't see it there a couple weeks ago either.

Today I think we will work on just putting away a few other things around the yard but then I want to spend some time working on Aviendha's quilt. I got it all sandwiched and pinned yesterday after the outside work was done so it's Quilting time today. I finished getting the binding on Zeke's and just have to finish stitching down the label.

Monique, you sure were​​ a busy bee yesterday. It feels so good to get things cleared out and organized doesn't it. Joy, take things easy and rest. I am glad your C-19 test was negative.

I am keeping Pam and her family in my thoughts and prayers. I hope Delta didn't cause them too much additional damage.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone. Sending Happy Thanksgiving greetings to all our Canadian friends.

Be well. Stay safe.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Good Morning all,

Yesterday was cooler but got much warmer than they said it would. We are supposed to start getting much cooler this week with temps in the 50's. Dave took out the window A/C units on Friday. I love having the windows clear again. We had one in the south window of the bedroom and sewing room. When my grandfather built the second story addition to this house he only put one heat/AC vent in each of the rooms so we don't get the heat or cool air up there as well as it should. We do okay in the winter, use fleece sheets and quilts so that isn't a problem. The heat in the summer months gets to be a problem for both of us. When I was younger the heat didn't bother me. We didn't have central air until about 20 years ago.

Got the tomatoes done yesterday and they are now freezing. I only have about a dozen or so left that are ripening. We have already taken out the plants but the garden needs to be cleaned out a little more. We went to Menards yesterday and picked up the cedar for the second raised garden bed. Dave worked on that yesterday and it is almost ready to put the dirt in. I expect that Dave will be working on that again today. I did not get my banana bread done. By the time I got the tomatoes done it was too late to get the banana bread baked before I would need to get the ribs in the oven so I will be doing that this morning after church.

Hoping to also get to the sewing room. Felt a little lazy last night plus Dave turned the TV to a really good movie so I decided to stay downstairs and watch it with him.

Have a great day everyone!
      Carlie

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve talked with Dave about doing that but just figured it would be too expensive. Looks like we will need to replaced the furnace and a/c in the next few years. Furnace is from the late 80’s. We are going to have to replace the water heater, too. It’s well over 50 years old.

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't believe you have a HWH that is 50 y.o. & still functioning! We've lived in our house (it's 48 y.o.) 42 yrs. & have replaced the HWH at least 3 times. Usually they're good for only 10 yrs. or so.

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        When we moved here in 2011 the plumber was very surprised. We asked them if we should replace it and he said he would leave it until it no longer worked as it is going to be so full of lime it will be extremely heavy. My grandfather always looked for the best value but was not afraid of spending money where he thought it was the best deal. He was frugal but not penny pinching if that makes sense.

Good morning!

It will be a little cooler today -- high in the mid 60's and cloudy. I had five deer in my back yard this morning, one bigger one and four smaller ones. They were chomping on the greenery surrounding my three-season room. Deer have been a problem in our neighborhood for years. One year I planted "deer resistant" flowers out front. They were gone the next morning...because the deer ate them! That was the last time I tried to plant flowers.

Tomorrow I work on site. I have been wary about going in ever since we had a Covid case (I was not exposed). I spend the day in my office and limit exposure to other people as much as possible. I go in twice this month (including tomorrow), and twice in November. The site is supposed to be closed in December. We're waiting to hear what the plan is for January.

Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends! Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Julie!

Good morning everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving my new Canadian friends!! I hope you all are enjoying this weekend in whatever way you can right now. I am making a roast chicken dinner for hubby and me. We are not big on turkey and it will be just the two of us this year. We usually go and see his parents in the interior. They live on a beautiful lake. This time of year it's gorgeous. We will miss them! They don't protect themselves against Covid, so we can't chance it. Sadly, we haven't seen them since last Thanksgiving. Mama is in isolation and stepdad is in lockdown. They are the other half of our tiny bubble, lol. So...chicken for two it is!

Went to drop off mama's clean clothes yesterday and pick up groceries. Dropped a few items off at her place. I unpacked her prized German wine glass collection. They are beautiful with lots of gilding and jewels with the town name amd sometimes flag on them. We had fun reminiscing about how many times they have survived the move and where she got each one as I cleaned them and out them in her display cabinet. It brightened her day to see them all again. That warmed my heart. =). She had been a bit down this week with the reality of the move setting in.

Got a few chores dine yesterday and shopped for fabric. I cleaned my sewing room from my last project and am looking for a Christmas wallhanging pattern now. I would like to start on that soon.

Today I'll be making buns, chicken dinner, maybe apple crisp for dessert. Our apples are ready now. Hubby's been picking them. I'm looking forward to being busy in the kitchen. I've lost my mojo for cooking and baking since my GERD has been so bad. We will enjoy our evening. Maybe we will watch that Rory Feek movie., Finding Josephine, if we can find it.

I am very thankful for my new found forum friends and grateful for all your help. Quilting and this forum have made this very challenging year much more bearable. Giving thanks and sending blessings to you all this Thanksgiving.

Have a wonderful day! Stay happy, healthy and safe!

2019ThankfulWallHanging600x600.jpg
      Last edited by Hillbillyhike; October 11, 2020, 09:58 AM.
      Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Good Morning to all! My son installed the required smoke detectors in my dads house yesterday and we got the last of the items out. The fridge is now in my garage, even though I cleared a spot for it, I didn't clear enough stuff away to open the door as wide as I like to. That is on tomorrows list of things to do. Bitter sweet visit to the empty house yesterday, said my goodbyes to it and as they say, life goes on. And today I shall sew the day away!

To our Canadian friends.. I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          Hugs to you Mimi! That is definitely bittersweet. Enjoy your day of sewing in your hapoy place. Glad you are taking time for yourself today.

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          I know that was hard....hugs.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of our Canadian friends.

Yesterday, there were only 3 walkers for the 3 miler. Everyone else did 7 miles. That's too much for me. After lunch and a hair cut appointment, I came home and worked on flying geese for the border of a baby quilt. I used Eleanor Burns' ruler for flying geese. This gives me much better results than snowballing corners. Now I am to the point of sewing the flying geese together and deciding what to do with the corners. /pretty much used all the background fabric I had available. I found some navy cuddle fabric with Mr. Sandman design on it on M*, so I think I will use that for the backing. I need to get it ordered today, since the shower is November 8. That's not far away.
        Not sure what I'll do the rest of the day, maybe some much needed yardwork. Lots going on at work this week, so probably won't be online much. Also, staying away from the TV, I am so tired of all the political mess.

Stay safe everyone and take care of yourselves.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Karen!

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats on doing the 3 miles! That’s nothing to sneeze at.

Morning all. Live Stream for church this morning was interrupted by technical difficulties. I'm thinking the breakdown happened due to the combination of the 8:30 and 110 services into one. Our church has 21 baptisms happening at 110 thus the combined service and increased attendance at 8;30. The technical problems don't happen often. When they do, it's a disappointment. We can watch later though.

Making beef and noodles for dinner. Like many, I'm running low on ideas for dinner, and I'm a bit tired of cooking. Asked the Hubs to take me a way for awhile, just a short road trip. He deferred - he's the calmer head in the family re: Covid. Anyway, the son is coming for dinner so I'm splurging and making biscuits too.

Since no church, I got a couple more blocks assembled for the Amelia Earhart project. It's fun to see I've only got 8 or so blocks left and then to assemble the entire quilt. I'm going to take a break once the blocks are done for a couple of side projects - potholder and table runner - and maybe use up some of the bargain flannel in rag quilts. Ice fishing will be upon us soon, and I'd like the Hubs to have his truck quilts by then.

Pleasant wishes to all,

Sandy

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you have a wonderful and peaceful day!

Comment

Morning all.

Spent some time yesterday in the sewing room. I have the double nine patch almost finished. Just have to put the bottom border on and it will be completed. Cheryl has my sister's quilt done and also did a pillow sham with the GFG pattern on it. After I'm finished with it I plan to take a break for a while. I need to get back into reading. I haven't even opened a book since March. (I normally read 20 to 25 books a year, which isn't as many as some, but most of the books I read are 500 to 1000 pages long and I only read for pleasure right before I go to sleep, so it takes me a while). I ended up subscribing to the Washington Post for a year since they were offering it for $39, which also allows me to share it with a friend. I asked a friend at work if she would be interested, and she said she was. After the year the price goes to $150, but I will cancel before then.

When I was in college I developed the habit of going to the library on a Sunday afternoon, and reading all the newspapers, magazines, and historical journals that came in that week. Ever since, no matter where I lived, Sunday was set aside for reading and nothing else. Today, with the advent of online reading, I subscribe to our local paper, the New York Times and now the Washington Post. I also read the Atlantic, the New Yorker, Harpers, and Politico, among others. In addition, I read the Journal of the Abraham Lincoln Association, which has every article they've ever published (including, he said braggingly, one of mine) on Lincoln. Of course, it doesn't come out but two or three times a year, but I often forget that I haven't read the latest one, so I check it about four or five times a year.

I can't understand anyone who doesn't read. I realize that not everyone is into it as much as I am, and most people would yawn at the type of books I read, but I've never been what one might call a "book snob." I don't turn my nose up at Stephen King, Danielle Steel or John Grisham (although I do draw the line at Nicolas Sparks....sorry to any of his fans). All I care about is that someone reads. Some see it as a cliche, but knowledge truly does die in darkness, and books are the lighthouses of society keeping us safe during turbulent storms. Mom never understood my fascination with books (Lincoln once said "The things I want to know are in books; my best friend is the man who'll give me a book I ain't read"), but I told her it was because after Dad died she bought us a set of World Book Encyclopedias. Those cream-colored books with the green spine served as my teacher and school given that I often say I learned in school in spite of my teachers, not because of them. I'm probably too rough on them, given that a student has to meet them at least half way, but I can count on one hand the number of teachers in elementary and secondary schools who inspired me. My mentor, and the man who was the closest thing to a father I ever had, was a retired military man by the name of Uel W. French. He was always proud of the name "Uel" which he said his mother got from the Bible, and roughly translated means "Will of God."

If it hadn't been for him, I never would have taken my education seriously, and I never would have developed the habit of taking Sundays to read. Just to give you an idea of the influence he had on me, to this day I wear my watch with the face in the same direction as my palm, which was how he wore his;. I'll relate one story and then I'll close this meandering. When he retired, he told me I could go through his office and pick out whatever books I wanted. I took several, but one he said I couldn't have because he wanted to give it to one of his sons. Of course, I said I understood. As we were walking out to his car, we talked a little and shook hands. "Mr. French," I said (I could never call him Uel), "I want you to know you've been like a father to me." His body tensed and I noticed a tear coming out of his eye. He reached into the trunk of his car and handed me the book I had wanted. I protested "I thought you wanted to give this to your son." He looked at me, smiled, and said, "I just did."

Have a great rest of your weekend all.

Rob
            Last edited by Rob the HOAQ; October 11, 2020, 11:41 AM.
            There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
            --Ken Burns

Comment

• SuzyQue
              SuzyQue commented
              Editing a comment
              Our home has bookcases in every room, stacks of books topple in the corners often, and I have learned how to read on my iPad now. Books have always been my best friends in many ways and I was determined to make avid readers of all my children. At one point we counted all the books in the house and it was well over 3,000. A day with out reading, just doesn’t happen here!

• Monique
              Monique commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok I got teary-eyed too.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
              Editing a comment
              That is wonderful to have found your chosen father, and that you are instilled with the drive to learn and read. It is sad how many people simply do not read and miss out on so many wonderful experiences. As a child, I read a lot of books, which explored different countries and cultures, and dreamt of a day I would visit. Sadly, these days, it will be virtual for awhile, but those words describing places are so vivid in my mind, I feel like I have been there.

I was an only child till I was 10, as soon as I learned to read I didn't need a playmate if I was bored all I needed was a book it could take me anywhere. I have been an avid reader my whole life and will read any type of book. I have over 600 books on my tablet that I've read. My husband is a thankful for electronic readers as I had accumulated a packed closet full of books prior to it. These don't take up any closet space in the house!
            If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Just wanted to share a couple of photos of some of my books.

Lincoln.jpg
              My books on Lincoln

cw.jpg
              Books on the Civil War and other topics.

I have nine other bookcases throughout the house. My favorite book story is about a couple in Masschusetts. They had so many books that when their next-door neighbor sold their house, they bought it, built a breezeway between them, and used the new house to store their books. Oh, to dream.

Rob
              There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
              --Ken Burns

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                Editing a comment
                My husband is an avid reader. We have a library, then we have almost walk-in closets with books, his train room and office have shelves with books. He is a Terry Pratchett fan in the past few years, reading the discworld series, some many times over. He loves the subtle humor.
            Working...
            X