Spammers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spammers?

This might be a stupid question but why do spammers post on old threads from like 5 years ago? I guess I just don't get the point of it all. What do they get out if it?

Given that much of the spam isn't from America, I can only imagine they don't really understand that posting on an old comment sets off red flags to most long-time and otherwise legitimate users. Why does someone think I will respond when they say they are from Paypale or Netflix when I haven't been a Netflix subscriber for at least five years now (and no, I didn't misspell PayPal. i actually got an email that said that throughout)?

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Comment

I just noticed another one on an old double wedding ring account.
      Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

I often wonder how they found us, it's so random to spam a quilting forum. I wonder if there is some spam algorithm?
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Its interesting, because I am on several forums, including another one for quilting, and this is the ONLY one constantly getting spammed.
          TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• K. McEuen
            K. McEuen commented
            Editing a comment
            Probably part of that has to do with the "upgrade" done a few months back. All of the things I had gotten the admins to do in order to cut off a lot of spammers got wiped out, so it is back to square one and the admin response since the upgrade has been severely lacking in my opinion.

I guess I'm a little dumb on the subject of spammers. Is one automatically infected if they simply open the thread and read the comment, I just can't seem to wrap my head around it.

Comment

• auntstuff
            auntstuff commented
            Editing a comment
            Just don't EVER click the link in the post and you are fine.

• Rob the HOAQ
            Rob the HOAQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Auntstuff is right. As long as you don't click on any links you will be fine. I have Malwarebytes on my computer and it constantly is on the lookout for bad sites. It's worth the money.

Rob

I'm extremely cautious on the internet. I thought this would be a very safe site as well from that sort of activity,. After last night I'm feeling uneasy.
          Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

I don't really think the site is unsafe. The type of spam that is being seen here hasn't, as far as I've noticed, included any links or anything. I'd be hard-pressed to figure out what they are getting from posting on old threads, but then again I'd be hard-pressed to figure out a lot of things. Just be sure that if you do click on a link offered that it comes from someone who has been here for a while and has a number of posts. If the posts marker only says 1, then be more cautious.

Rob
            There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
            --Ken Burns

Comment

Oh years ago we had a nasty "spammer" on another forum. had to stop allowing anyone to post photos until "it" went away.
              last night I got worried-got text from Home Depot giving me a code good for two hours. what? I called them and they never heard of anything like that happening so i figured someone just hit the wrong phone number. i hope! deleted it.

Comment

Working...
              X