A rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A rant

I really like Walmart's service where one can order groceries online and pick them up at the store. I just placed an order tonight. Cheryl wanted some bananas, so I go to the page that has bananas and it shows they are available for .17 each. Fine. So I get ready to check out and a message comes up that a Walmart supercenter (one of two in town) is out of bananas.

How in the blankety-blank does Walmart run out of bananas? We will just have to get them at the other store we shop at, but am I missing something (which at this stage in the game is not an unreasonable assumption)? Are bananas that scarce? Last time they said they were out of eggs. Eggs, for pete sake! Yet the other store had cartons of them available as did one of Walmart's Neighborhood Market.

I understand that the pandemic has moved things along far quicker than anyone anticipated, but how does one of the largest retailers in the world have such a crappy ordering system.

Rant is over. Thank you.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Assuming (yeah, I know!) their employee ordered bananas and assuming there is no banana shortage, it could be that their Produce truck was late arriving? I work retail .. it has truly been a nightmare, throughout this pandemic, to place a good order .. anticipate the customers' needs and their hoarding habits with certain products.

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I was in retail for over 20 years, so I know the challenges, especially now. It just seems that running out of bananas is so random.

Rob

The same is true for Home Depot, Walmart, Canadian Tire and other small amd big businesses. Supply and demand, but also inundation of online shopping. Only a small percentage of folks were shopping online. Now..an explosion of people shopping online. Their sites can't keep up. Their products can't keep up as supply chains are fragmented or delayed. Worker shortages, delivery shortages, hoarding and extra cooking and baking at home.

We have item limits for certain things her and a shortage of other things months later. I still can't get bleach, rubbing alcohol or antiseptic wipes. Took me months to get sugar and yeast...bread flour and toilet paper. We make TP here in greater Vancouver!! Lol. One of the few foods I can eat right nownis cucumbers. We grow hot house ones in BC. There was a shortage last shop. It's frustrating for sure!
    Last edited by Hillbillyhike; October 9, 2020, 10:17 PM.
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• Hulamoon
      Hulamoon commented
      Editing a comment
      That's interesting about the paper and cucumbers. Our island grows coffee, no shortage there though. There always seems to be a shortage of yogurt. Wierd.

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      You know, it's weird. I've never had an issue finding yeast or flour, although as I've mentioned I had to shop on the internet for both. I wish I could remember the website where I found the yeast (I bought 10 3-packs, plus I still have about 1/2 a jar of Fleischmann's in the fridge), but it escaped my memory. Not that I need any more, but it would be nice to remember in case others can't find it.

Rob

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      I just put in an online grocery order. I have been trying since March to get frozen spinach. We'll see if I finally get it when I do my curbside pick up tomorrow. It's nice. I've picked up a few things for mama. She's right on my way home now. =)

I use Instacart (Safeway) and things are always out of stock. I think I just notice it more, because if I was shopping for myself I would say oh well. Now I have to stay at the computer and okay replacements. I learned my lesson and just say no replacements for most things on my list, so I'm not irritated. lol I can't wait to get my licence!!!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
      Rob the HOAQ commented
      Editing a comment
      You're likely right on that. The one greatest thing about shopping online is that it has curbed my impulse buying to almost zero. Having to think about something instead of just saying "gee, that looks nice" has saved us a good bit of money.

Rob

The Walmart I order from has been out of canned pumpkin for a couple weeks. It was showing in stock last night when I placed my order, but today, no pumpkin when they were filling my prder. It will be a contest to see of they get any in before Thanksgiving.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve made pumpkin pies using my own pumpkin. My suggestion is that if you use your own purée you need to take as much water out of it before using it otherwise, in my experience, the custard doesn’t come out right, too loose.

• Hulamoon
      Hulamoon commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think I ever had sweet potato pie. Is it sweeter? Do you cut down the sugar? I have a Kabocha squash right now would that work? lol

• K. McEuen
      K. McEuen commented
      Editing a comment
      I've not made a sweet potato pie before but in looking at recipes they are pretty much the same as pumpkin..

I've never heard of that kind of squash before, but something like butternut would work.

We have run out out of weird stuff too. Chicken thighs, fish and I can't find sewing needles! Now things are getting back to normal. Yeah yeast was no where for a while. Everyone is baking so the bananas make sense. We've bought more than normal too. Never ran out though.

Comment

Going into this second wave I've learned to keep everything stocked up and get things when I can. Not hoarding or prepping, but prepared.
      Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
        Momofmonsters5 commented
        Editing a comment
        With you on that!! Certain stores I can get certain things. I went to Wally world the other night and grabbed what I could find what only we can get there ...The employees annoy me more than other customers though. I wanted to look at ribbon but the associate was updating the display and acting like I was an unwelcome destraction. I know they are a big company but I would have have bought more.

If have found the same thing with stores being out of stock. I order my groceries from BJ's and recently they were out of stock on sugar and mayonnaise. I also order some pantry items to stock up on from Walmart because I like the packaging they come in for long term storage my rant with them is how they pack the items, they are just thrown in the box helter skelter and luckily nothing had been ripped open during the shipping.
      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I have not ordered groc. on line yet. I'm picky when it comes to what I want, like picking out apples, avocados, etc. Now that I got the neg. COVID test result, I'll be heading to the groc. store today right after breakfast. I'm usually able to get what I need. A few mos. ago yeast was the big missing item everywhere. Bless her heart, Monique mailed me several packets from Canada. I finally bought a bulk yeast off Amazon. It's available now. I don't do a lot of baking, but I do bake DH's spelt bread every couple weeks.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
          Claire Hallman commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad you are negative and hope you feel better.

It’s the pits shopping since the pandemic. Our Walmart doesn’t do the ordering online/pick-up service. We often have shortages and limits on the amount we can buy. I try to stay a little ahead of the game but it’s getting more difficult. No pumpkin here, but there were plenty of bananas the last time I shopped.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for the reminder about pumpkin! I'll have to keep checking for some whenever I go shopping. We shop at 4 different stores, depending on what we need or how much shopping we need to do.
          ~ Carol from PA

Comment

We still have shortages on odd things here, too. Jams & jelly were out of stock for the longest time. You can find it now, but maybe not the flavor you were looking for. I haven't seen Smucker's seedless raspberry jam in months. Other shortages include dishwasher detergent and drain cleaner. The baking aisle is back to normal, I found yeast the other day.

No problems finding bananas here, but curly parsley and cilantro are very hit and miss. Or, if you do find them, the bunches are small and the quality is poor. The stock at Giant Eagle wasn't great, so I went to Fresh Thyme and even their stock was not up to their usual standards.

Comment

Foaming hand soap! All stores here have been out for a long time. I have marked lines on our dispensers so DH will know that the thick liquid soap goes to that line and fill to the next line with water and "gently" shake to mix it up. I had to explain to him that the foaming soap came after the foaming dispensers! I should have let him think that I was super smart. 😎
              Vonnie

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
                Momofmonsters5 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the tip!! We have the same issue.

Well, yes we have no bananas, but we are well-stocked on Cheez-it Snap'd. I tried those a couple of weeks ago and decided I wanted some more. I had planned to order three 7.5 oz bags, two of the double cheddar and one of the sour cream and onion cheddar. I got the message that the double cheddar was out of stock, so I found they had 1 oz bags, so I ordered three of those. This is what we came home with. All 7.5 oz.
              IMG_20201010_135203263.jpg
              Rob
              There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
              --Ken Burns

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                Hillbillyhike commented
                Editing a comment
                If there ever is a cheese nips hoarding shortage here in Canada...I know where to turn! 😉😆

I haven't purchased any fresh fruit since all this started. too many hands. even plastic wrapped watermelon the other day look sooooo gooood. but nope, not for me. sigh.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
                Momofmonsters5 commented
                Editing a comment
                You know you can bleach it once you get home. They do that in military daycares before all this. I worked in one for many years.

• Hillbillyhike
                Hillbillyhike commented
                Editing a comment
                I only buy what I can bleach. Fill the sink up with sanitizing strength bleach and water. Soak for a few minutes and rinse. The rest I buy frozen or forget about. I have baked all my own goods and we have not eaten out. Yet again...no frozen spinach! Lol. That's 8 months now. Not sure what the deal is with spinach.
            Working...
            X